Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inbound and internal An Post Delays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Not really. I'd wonder how it gets to the wilds of Mayo (via Portlaoise and Athlone) quicker than Dublin TBH. And I'm pretty sure the service used to be 1 day before but they changed the "on time" definition (kind of like how you could post a letter at the Cork sorting office for delivery up to 2am Monday for Monday delivery....now it's 7pm Friday). I haven't mentioned a parcel I sent betting locked into one of their parcel lockers for two weeks either (happens all the time according to my postman).

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Night owl gal

Hi Folks,

Quick question on an post

Does anyone know why this message 'we delivered your post' is displayed twice?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

mod - you have already started a thread a week ago on this which I will now delete. Don't do duplicate posts. There is either no-one on here due to the site changes or people don’t know. If you need to know ask An Post.

Post edited by whiterebel on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

checked with online chat yesterday... they said backlog in clearing post from customs.. still showing Sorted Dublin mail centre.. hopefully it will start to move in next day or so

Checked online chat this morning.. apparently it was sent back to customs warehouse again in error... so they have requested it to be sent back to postal sorting office and then it will be on its merry way to me... not convinced to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Johnstaf

Hi everyone.

How is the situation now for items coming from the US via USPS First Class?

I have a package that cost around $200 on the way, and got a variation on the usual USPS message.

"Your item departed a transfer airport in DUBLIN, IRELAND on August 4, 2021 at 9:26 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination."

I'd love to know how long packages are taking now.

Many thanks. This has been a very informative thread.

Another day and another online chat... item still stuck in customs warehouse backlog - should be released and with you soon... can't guarantee when.. i don't mind as long as its not returned to sender.. i paid customs and have the email receipt saying it will be released and delivered since Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

If it is any use or consolation to you Mick, I was the same, had something coming in from UK. I had paid the vat last Thursday and it had just sat a "Your delivery has been sorted DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12" since last Thursday morning. Got on to the chat yesterday and he just said they were fairly snowed under in DMC because of the customs since July. The tracking updated yesterday afternoon to We Have your post, then Your post has been sorted. This morning it went to We have your post and are getting it ready for delivery, and it was delivered this morning. So a week after the import charges were paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I've had a small package sitting in the Dublin mail center two weeks tomorrow. Keep getting the same crap on the online chat about delays according to the first fella last week he said it be early this week. Wtf is going on like I paid the customs as soon as I got the email.

The same thing has been on the tracking since the 30th of August Your delivery has been sorted Dublin 12.

my post came friday and all good. They had opened the package to check contents. I have another package stuck though. Its a phone case and when i checked on online chat they said customs don't have enough information to clear it and have requested information from the retailer. That seems like its going to be slow. I asked them could i provide an invoice or anything and they said id have to deal with customs on 01 805 6150... tried this morning but its 'not a recognised number'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

My parcel sent 17 days ago from England has been sitting in the Dublin Mail Centre Dublin 12 with no update for 7 days now - I expected to receive a notice to pay both VAT and Duty, but nothing.

So how long are people usually waiting on the An Post chat? It said 14 minutes wait time to start then gradually went up to 42 minutes but it's going up and down and intermittently goes blank and says "not available to chat with you right now", but then reloads the countdown.

Update: still waiting on chat an hour later - has said 5 minutes wait for the last 20 minutes. :(

Update: got through on chat after 1.5 hours. The item is being returned to sender due to an insufficient customs declaration. Apparently this can't be displayed on the tracking for customers. What a nightmare.

Post edited by Hippodrome Song Owl on

"Update: got through on chat after 1.5 hours. The item is being returned to sender due to an insufficient customs declaration. Apparently this can't be displayed on the tracking for customers. What a nightmare."

And now the seller won't even look into it for at least another week because the an Post tracker says it's still in Dublin, in transit, and they won't take my word for it or accept my screenshot from An Post chat stating that there is an insufficient customs declaration and that it is being returned to sender.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Gabriel

The same happened to me with 4 parcels to me! : 2 returned to US, 1 to Australia and 1 to Japan. Its being a disaster! Post is getting very bad so I guess it time to save the money and dont even bother to buy online anymore.

Believe me it was absolute last resort to buy from the UK but I cannot find what I need - a medical product - anywhere else. I had accepted that I would have to pay VAT and Duty and was ready to do so, but this confirms for me that buying from outside EU is just not worth the hassle. I really wish there was an alternative from an EU company!

The UK company is obviously at fault here in having failed to provide a proper customs declaration, but this process of the item having to be returned to get it rectified is awful. That An Post seem incapable of updating their tracker to this effect when this happens is just the final insult really.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

Same here... 2 packages held in storage. Returned to sender. **** show.

An post are really lazy and also I found that they prices are raise constantly like 3-4 times every year! Its time to just make them suffer and start using courier that, at this time,is almost the same prices are An "fail" Post!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have sent quite a few small parcels over the last few weeks, latest one yesterday, and all have been delivered the next day in Ireland.

Don't do a lot of posting in the Republic, but they always appears fast to me.

Also I had friend who lately had their parcel sent back withouth customs even notifying him, also he was prepared to pay VAT and duty. I think this could be illegal? The should be another post about "Customs sending parcels back"

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

What would be illegal about it? I had a parcel sent from the UK, stopped iN Dublin and going to be sent back because there was no customs declaration on it. The sender had also managed to leave off my email address and mobile, and leave off half the address.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Please please enlighten us on how on earth in any way whatsoever this could be "illegal"

Please tell me you are taking the piss?

• Advertisement

Yes! :) but well I suppose they should inform the receiver? Is this new EU rules or local Irish customs rules? Just asking becuse maybe you know more than me. I never have some many packets sent back apart for this month. Actually I never have any packet sent back!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

FedEx has a nice page about what the new Vat regime means for various sellers and the IOSS requirements that the EU requires for VAT.

https://www.fedex.com/en-ie/eu-vat-changes.html

Look this! I was here all day this morning there was a small packet delivered from France but one of the packet that I missing that came from Autralia it has this infomation on AN Post now! Crazy! what are they doing!? It a lie that the tried to delivered I was here all day!

I dond understand anything of what they are doing ! :( I am going to stop completely to use An post.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

Must be an issue with the address on the package.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

That's what my tracking says now for my parcel with the insufficient customs declaration. Could be the same issue for you.

Though it only updated to that today, despite An Post knowing that was the problem since 9th August. At least the seller might actually look into addressing the issue now as they refused while An Post tracking stated it was still sorted in the Dublin Mail Centre. An Post needs to get themselves in order and improve their service of specifically notifying customers of customs issues in a timely manner. At the moment their service is unacceptably unprofessional in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Cookiee

It's not that they actually tried deliver to your address, it's that something is wrong with the address on the label or with the customs declaration, so they can't deliver it for that reason, because if they actually we're trying to deliver it and couldn't because you weren't home or whatever, they would try deliver again the next day or bring it to an post collection point for you to collect, but they didn't do that, so must be something wrong with customs declaration etc, very frustrating thought as they don't contact you about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

What happens if An Post have the package for so long that the return period allowed by the seller is passed?

Say you buy from UK or USA and use AddressPal. The package gets to D12 hub but delays by an post in delivering it means you dont get it for 3/4weeks later. As far as the seller is concerned it was delivered within a few days to the address pal depot & the return clock starts then. Is it just suck it up? Even though you pay An Post for a service they didnt provide.

Edit..its a shambles & AnPost knew the EU rules were changing on 1st July and they should have known theyd need extra staff to cope & also with the extra calls to customer service. Pretty poor management that didnt plan properly for it.

but never mind, customers can wait for weeks or just hold on for more than an hour to try & find out whats happening..

It is disgraceful & most definitly is not customer service. Whoever wrote that Customer Charter must be having a good laugh.

Advertisement