Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Covid-19 measures are permanent, don't be a boiling frog!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

You didn't address any of the points, the first sentence here is completely undecipherable.

You've resigned to pulling a video from a Youtuber who posts about Nostrodamus quotes and are claiming, when translated, one of the speakers in the video says something. Okay, where's the transcript for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Liam32123

Ok, after a Nobel Prize and the Principal Medical Advisor of the Italian Government you wanted to have an official document? Here it is NATURE

Covid, the latest study in NATURE: "With mass vaccinations we generate new variants resistant to vaccines that will go on forever"

Article in Italian: https://www.meteoweb.eu/2021/08/covid-studio-nature-vaccinazioni-generano-nuove-varianti/1713170/

OFFICIAL STUDY: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-95025-3

Good Night

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Lol I don't think you've read this study.

One simple specific recommendation is to keep transmission low even when a large fraction of the population has been vaccinated by implementing acute non-pharmaceutical interventions (i.e. strict adherence to social distancing) for a reasonable period of time, to allow emergent lineages of resistant strains to go extinct through stochastic genetic drift. The implementation of non-pharmaceutical measures at a time of high vaccination can also help reduce infectivity when the efficacy of vaccines is not perfect69. Additional factors that may make these measures even more effective are: (1) increased and widespread testing, (2) rigorous contact tracing, (3) high rate of viral sequencing of positive cases58,70 and (4) travel restrictions. Finally, while our model formally considers only one homogenous population, our data also suggest that delays in vaccination in some countries relative to others will make the global emergence of a vaccine-resistant strain more likely. Without global coordination, vaccine resistant strains may be eliminated in some populations but could persist in others. Thus, a truly global vaccination effort may be necessary to reduce the chances of a global spread of a resistant strain.

This study doesn't support your beliefs. It does not say that vaccines should not be given. It in fact says that restrictions are nessesary.

Did you just google this paper and then only read the title?

Also, you don't need to keep telling us "Goodnight".

I think this is the 5th time you've tried to make a dramatic exit from this thread. It's getting a bit sad now.

I ASSUME AT THE UNIVERSITY OF FACEBOOK DO NOT TEACH TO READ: 

“A HIGH NUMBER OF VACCINATIONS CREATES A SELECTIVE ADVANTAGE OF THE RESISTANT STRAIN OVER THE WILDTYPE STRAIN. The effective reproductive number of the wildtype versus the resistant strains, Rtwt/Rtr, is (V + S)/S, which is the selective advantage 1 + s in Eq. (1). Thus, when V is large the resistant strain has a growth advantage over the wildtype strain, contributing to its establishment in the population towards the end of the vaccination campaign. Taken together, the highest probability for establishment of the resistant strain for a given p is reached when V, Iwt and β (and the corresponding Rtr) are large (Fig. 2c, Eq. (1)).

Got it??? “A HIGH NUMBER OF VACCINATIONS CREATES A SELECTIVE ADVANTAGE OF THE RESISTANT STRAIN OVER THE WILDTYPE STRAIN" You wanna challenge also Nature now??

Time for somebody to be ashamed 😉

Yes they do. Which is why I read the whole thing. Like how it says that restrictions are necessary.

The paper does not however say that vaccines aren't effective or that the vaccines cause variants that can't be prevented. Nor does it support your other claims like the idea that the Delta Variant was caused by the vaccines.

This paper does not support your position.

Again, you keep making your hilarious "UNIVERSITY OF FACEBOOK" joke, yet you are clearly just googling stuff in desperation to back up your silly conspiracy theory claims.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭PintOfView

So are you saying that the website you gave to support your views is not credible (it wasn't me who mentioned Michael Yardon)?

What makes you think that any of what you are saying is the truth, or do you even care about the actual real truth?

You say 'Variants are caused by mass vaccination'. How do you know this? Can you link to an article explaining why this is so (preferably peer reviewed). Have you done any searching to see what the scientific consensus is? Or do you believe that only your scientist is correct? Again, do you want the truth, or just confirmation of your (in my view mistaken) views?

And, as regards "the university of facebook", isn't that one of the main sources for the types of view that you are putting forward?

Lol. An excellent reply that addresses all my points. I'm sure all the university professors you claim to talk to will be proud of that.

In reality however, you are again dodging and running away from points. But ignoring them you are conceding them and admiting that you can't answer them.

You admit that you didn't actually read the study, you just googled it and found the title online. You admit that the study supports the idea of covid measures and vaccinations despite your stance.

I suspect more deflection next or a huffy exit from the thread.

Is Nature not enough? (most important scientific peer-reviewed journal in the world) Is 30 July 2021 too dated in time? (asking for a friend)

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-95025-3

“A HIGH NUMBER OF VACCINATIONS CREATES A SELECTIVE ADVANTAGE OF THE RESISTANT STRAIN OVER THE WILDTYPE STRAIN. The effective reproductive number of the wildtype versus the resistant strains, Rtwt/Rtr, is (V + S)/S, which is the selective advantage 1 + s in Eq. (1). Thus, when V is large the resistant strain has a growth advantage over the wildtype strain, contributing to its establishment in the population towards the end of the vaccination campaign. Taken together, the highest probability for establishment of the resistant strain for a given p is reached when V, Iwt and β (and the corresponding Rtr) are large (Fig. 2c, Eq. (1)).

Please do not desperately reply to this message

So can you explain what is wrong with the explanation given in the following article, as to why vaccines don't cause variants, and why Montagnier is wrong (they call his ideas 'completely bonkers') - https://www.healthline.com/health-news/no-vaccines-do-not-cause-new-sars-cov-2-variants

• Advertisement

Again, you don't seem to be reading all of the study.

The study states:

As expected, we found that a fast rate of vaccination decreases the probability of emergence of a resistant strain. Counterintuitively, when a relaxation of non-pharmaceutical interventions happened at a time when most individuals of the population have already been vaccinated the probability of emergence of a resistant strain was greatly increased. Consequently, we show that a period of transmission reduction close to the end of the vaccination campaign can substantially reduce the probability of resistant strain establishment. Our results suggest that policymakers and individuals should consider maintaining non-pharmaceutical interventions and transmission-reducing behaviours throughout the entire vaccination period.

Do you agree with this statement, yes or no?

If you ignore this question, as I suspect you will, I will assume you disagree with the statement and you reject the study.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,665 ✭✭✭storker

I'm convinced...

..."COVID-dicianove" sounds way sexier than COVID-19.

The scientist in the video appears to be over-simplifying the process of the formation of variants which, as I understand it, is random and is really speeded-up evolution. The virus is not intelligent enough to behave like a cat burglar and "look for" weaknesses, even if the next result might be the same. But this would also happen with people protected by naturally-acquired heard immunity: if the bog-standard virus can't find a way in, for whatever reason, a mutation sometimes can.

So I mention the MOST IMPORTANT SCIENTiFIC JOURNAL OF THE WORLD and you mention a Debunker, and the author is just a freelance writer, NOT EVEN A DOCTOR, and who works at the "Depression Sanctuary on Twitter and Facebook" ?????

😥

This is the post of the year. I greatly appreciate your courage

The University of Facebook strikes again

Ok, thanks for that link. Now are you sure you understand what you posted? That is not saying that vaccines create variants. What it is saying is that variants occur randomly, and depend on the amount of transmission, and how many people get the virus. What then happens is that vaccines suppress the variants that the vaccines are effective against, but if a new variant emerges that the vaccines are not effective against then that new strain will not be suppressed, and it will become more common. If we didn't have vaccines that new variant would still appear, and transmit, but it might not be as common as other variants if vaccines weren't suppressing the other variants.

Here's a quote from it

Peter Stoilov, PhD, an associate professor of biochemistry who is leading the SARS-CoV-2 variant sequencing efforts in West Virginia, described Montagnier’s argument as “completely bonkers.”

He's just one of many scientists who have said Montagnier is wrong. Have you checked widely to see how many (or few) people agree with Montagnier, and how many think he's wrong?

They aren't "Nobel Prizes" though. Why should we listen to experts when they don't have any prize?

Scientist??? That guy is not even a full professor, he's an associate 😥

You've ignored my previous question. This means that you are saying you disagree with what the study actually says.

So why are you now disagreeing with "MOST IMPORTANT SCIENTiFIC JOURNAL OF THE WORLD"

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Speaking of sharp knives, it's a good job you don't have some underlying other heath condition which might react in unknown ways with any new virus that happens to mutate it's way around the globe, but for which there are effective vaccines that significantly reduce the effects of said virus.

Oh, hang on a moment ... Maybe you do...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

It seriously looks like the university of Facebook is exactly where Liam attends. He is just trying to tell us that. It’s the reason he posts in caps too. The university of Facebook teaches people that using capital letters gets other attendees attention. Unfortunately for them it is different in the real world.

I’m not on Facebook, but many people have their profiles as public. It looks like the new generation of“full time mad bastards” are anti-vaxers, conspiracy theorists, and anti-government while reaping in the benefits of government decisions.

Post edited by Fighting Tao on

• Advertisement

You are completely misunderstanding the study.

First of all they state:

"Vaccines are among the most effective public health measures against infectious disease1. Their track record brings hope that SARS-CoV-2 may soon be under control2 as a consequence of a plethora of vaccine development efforts3,4,5,6,7,8. A potential cause of concern is the low rate of vaccine production and administration9 coupled with reports of new strains with higher transmission rates10,11,12 and even with potential for some degree of vaccine resistance13,14,15,16. "

And secondly they run a simulation:

"We implemented a modification of a SIR model18,24 that included additional states to study the interplay of the rate of vaccination, rate of transmission and the likelihood of emergence of resistant strains (Fig. 1a). In addition to other states, individuals could be vaccinated (V), infected by the resistant strain (Ir), or simultaneously be vaccinated and infected with the resistant strain (IrV)."

I suspect you don't casually read scientific articles on Nature and don't randomly catch Italian broadcasts. In fact, I suspect you got both from the same conspiracy site. Which conspiracy site is it?

I represented the arguments on the basis of Lancet, Nature, University of Oxford, Court of Appeal of Lisbon, etc. The only thing that you keep repeating is “Conspiracy Theory, Conspiracy Theory, Conspiracy Theory”

And then I remember that in 1945 George Orwell wrote (Animal Farm, page 86):

“The sheep were the greatest devotees of the Spontaneous Demonstration, and if anyone complained (as a few animals sometimes did, when no pigs or dogs were near) that they wasted time and meant a lot of standing about in the cold, the sheep were sure to silence him with a tremendous bleating of “Four legs good, two legs bad!” But by and large the animals enjoyed these celebrations. They found it comforting to be reminded that, after all, they were truly their own masters and that the work they did was for their own benefit.”

Goodbye :)

This usually why conspiracy theorists don't like posting links to what they think is their proof.

Either it's a obviously crank site like "Lifestienews" that also spouts bullshit the conspiracy theorist is embarassed about and doesn't want to be associated with.

Or it's a legitimate source that the conspiracy theorists actually hasn't read beyond the head line and the one or two sentences that other conspiracy theorists show them.

No, you misrepresented things you didn't read or understand and made many false claims. You are now announcing that you are running away from the thread and insulting people because you can't deal with being called out on your tactics.

Though in my experience and the fact you've said "goodbye" or "goodnight" or similar dramatic exits about a dozen times, I suspect we're going to have a few more post from you where you tell us goodbye a few more times before you finally disappear.

Again, another conspiracy theorist has shown how completely empty, dishonest and silly their beliefs are.

And still no one's been able to explain one measure that will be permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,765 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Oh Jesus a George Orwell quote.........

Garden variety.

What's the bets he's actually read either Animal Farm or 1984?

Right, doesn't seem to be the case at all, but anyway. What is your claim exactly? Be specific, also try it without the sarcasm and childishness. And what is your conclusion?

I

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

I do not have an underlying health condition that makes me vulnerable to covid.

My eyes have nothing to do with covid as far as I know. But if you have a study that indicates a connection between glaucoma (my eye condition) and covid, let me know by all means.

You don't want to get the vaccine because of certain personal beliefs you have.

Because of this you've increased the risk of transmitting Covid to vaccinated or unvaccinated friends/family. Thankfully the vast majority of people don't share your personal views/beliefs and are getting vaccinated. Which is good for you and everyone you know.

Why you are registering this on a conspiracy forum is a mystery, do you believe some conspiracy is afoot? If so, what is it? or are you just here to repeatedly act contrarian and tell everyone you aren't getting the vaccine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Funnily enough, due to decreased health services because of SARS-COV2, there has been an increase in issues due to glaucoma, you're also likely to be interacting with people who've been exposed to the virus (at the clinic) and you may not have been attending your checkups as often (ignore the clickbaity title of the article):

Survey Suggests People Living With Glaucoma at Increased Risk of Sight Loss and Blindness Due to COVID-19 Pandemic – Eyewire News

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement