Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭EdHoven

What exactly is the purpose of this thread then? To read MoonUnit's never ending rant?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

FFS knew it would be something ridiculous like this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

I think the first article about this said they had watched the documentaries and this prompted him to consider making a new statement. Maybe it was seeing how frail Sophie's parents had become and the pain they were in.

I wouldn't be surprised to come back in 10 pages and see theories about Sophie going out to investigate a light in the sky going faster than any known aircraft, or that JFK and Lee Harvey Oswald had secretly eloped to West Cork and were using her bath.

Post edited by MoonUnit75 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭Deeec

The candle is not relevent. I have a candle on my table but it is rarely lit - its for special occasions or if we have a power cut. She may have lit the candle that night she may not have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Youd think he'd take a day off alright!

I like where your heads at I was only joking😆

Did Garda have standard issue footwear back then? I looked at the pics of the boot prints at the scene, they don't match Doc Martins prints as far as I can see. They look like big boots alright.

I think if IB had done it and drove Jules' car there would have been dna in the car, he may have walked though although why would he have gone round there in the first place, doesn't make sense. Also no matter how big your ego if you murdered someone youd hardly go back to the crime scene a few hours later and start taking pics etc. Doesn't add up.

although why would he have gone round there in the first place, doesn't make sense. Also no matter how big your ego if you murdered someone youd hardly go back to the crime scene a few hours later and start taking pics etc. Doesn't add up.

After Jules' first arrest she said in her statement, which she now disputes, that they stopped at Hunt's Hill and Ian looked over towards Alfie's house, then said there was a light on over there. He said he had a feeling something bad was going to happen. There was also a suggestion that he said he might go over. It seems relatively well known that Alfie had cannabis for personal use.

Why would anyone go back to the scene? Personally I think the first weapon that was used had been dropped somewhere around the scene. This seems to have been a sharp weapon, a knife or axe maybe. The final moments of the murder were carried out with a rock and a concrete block so the killer seems to have dropped the sharp weapon at some point. Maybe the killer realised they needed to go back and find it as this would definitely have fingerprints or DNA on it. If someone else arrived, the killer could possibly say they had just arrived on the scene themselves and discovered the body, if they had cleaned themselves up in the meantime.

Or maybe they were offered a nice retirement home in the south of France.

Re Hunts hill - Jules disputes that she said what was in the statement and I believe her. Why would anyone ever say ' they had a feeling something bad was going to happen' while looking at a house. It sounds just like made up rubbish by the gardai to add to a statement to make it look like IB is their man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭EdHoven

There's a freakin' spent match next to the matchbox. She left that there for a day or two? She must be a right scruffbird then.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

Do the Gards have a witness statement from JFK?

Probably.

Ian himself spoke about the 'premonition' at Hunt's Hill in his interview, when the gardai asked him to explain it more he said 'I won't put it any further, I don't want to'. I'm pretty sure he was asked about it in the West Cork podcast as well.

Marie Farrell originally said she saw Ian Bailey on the grassy knoll but then changed it to a small Cuban.

She could have used it to light the stove or have a smoke ( if she was a smoker). Just because a candle is there it doesnt mean it was lit that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

Jules seems to contradict a lot of witnesses, including Bailey and her own daughter. You would have to wonder if she is only half tuned in most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

I think its fair to say at this stage, that we can the garda interviews with a pinch of salt. I wouldnt trust one word they said about them

They were asked to read over the statements before signing them, which they did. They both had solicitors present. When being released they were asked if they had any complaints to make about their detention and neither made any. The statements were forensically examined and nothing suspicious was found.

In the West Cork podcast they mention to her about the article Ian was supposedly up all night writing and she said she remembers him showing it to her the following morning. She said the article wasn't on the kitchen table the night before but was there the next morning. The presenters of the podcast point out that it is very surprising then that Jules made no mention of the article at all in the interview where she said Ian got up and, as far as she was aware, didn't get back into bed.

The most surprising thing though is that Ian didn't dictate the article that was apparently finished on the morning of the 23rd until the afternoon of the 24th. The newspaper seems to have contacted him on the morning of the 23rd as the deadline had already passed and they thought they would have to run with some other article. During that call it seems to have been agreed that Ian would dictate it the next day.

If the article was finished overnight, why didn't he just give it to them there and then, and why did it take another 24 hours for it to be returned?

It doesn't have to be pm . The first person who posted it said "Well that Twitter conversation has taken a pretty sinister turn.

Not going to post all that he's hinting at here" so I thought maybe they wouldn't want it here or maybe they felt it unsuitable and it might cause issues for the site here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 Kelvinyook

Is the timeline that they both denied recalling anything that night other than sleeping, then, under the hours of interrogation, Ian said he got up to work, and has persisted saying that now. Then he told Julie, or the police during interrogation told Julie, and at some point then she recalled those things that fit that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

These were only released this year. He claims to have discussed it last year with someone who is now living in Europe. Why keep such a secret from 2001 to 2020? Something must have caused the elderly local man to decide to confide in someone else after all that time.

That "it is understood he has made an assertion that at least partial proof of his allegations can be obtained" would make me think something prevents full proof being obtained, perhaps one of the protagonists, most likely whoever helped clean the bloody clothes, can no longer confirm the 2001 conversation.

Post edited by FishOnABike on

Thanks. What does Find out what that Schull community on the hill got up to mean and did a garda kill himself?

Jules' first husband was in Schull?

legal reprocussion LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭nc6000

So you think he was dictating an article on Christmas Eve? When was it going to be printed then as there wouldn't have been any papers over Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

1. No local guard has authority to overrule an order from the pathologist with regard to what to do with the body. Just nonsense.
    2. Reported in National newspapers, yet we have no Garda follow-up/appeals, tells you everything you need to know.
    3. The lad didn't even follow through with the drugs for confession scheme. Just look what happened to Maria Farrell when she lied for clemency. Totally fell apart on the stand.
    4. Why can't you just say AGS tampering with evidence ripping out job book sheets and destroying evidence is red flag. You simply can't justify that away.

I think it was jules who first admitted he got up during the night then he said he remembered, I may be wrong.

Source for this? and dont even attempt to send over some sort of GSOC report

I have some magic beans I need to sell, you interested?

No local guard has authority to overrule an order from the pathologist with regard to what to do with the body. Just nonsense.

The investigation was under the regional headquarters at Bandon by that stage, not the local gardai. The pathologist doesn't have the authority to direct the gardai as far as I am aware, though the coroner might. If you know otherwise then it would be great to see the source of this.

Let's think about the logic of the situation though. If you were correct and the gardai 'disobeyed' an order of the pathologist because a member of the force had committed the murder then, within hours of the killing, the culprit had confessed to other gardai that he had done it and regional headquarters had, by later that same day, decided to cover this up and try to botch the post-mortem. Maybe though, the garda didn't confess but gardai have a secret signal that alerts other members that they have committed the crime they are currently investigating? The signal might be something like rolling the left leg of your trousers up over your socks?

Reported in National newspapers, yet we have no Garda follow-up/appeals, tells you everything you need to know.

The mystery 'blue fiesta' driving dangerously around the scene the next morning seems to have been first reported by a tabloid in 2014. In the same article there's what seems to be a false claim she was having an affair with a local. That article seems to have been scrubbed from the newspaper's website and can only be found on a scraper website that seems to have picked it up. Then it reappears in a ridiculous article by Gemma O'Doherty. No reputable newspaper article or book about the murder has any mention of this phantom car driven allegedly similar to one driven by a violent phantom garda.

The fiesta seen at Skibbereen is extremely similar to the one that the gardai already appealed for information on, do we really expect them to issue a new appeal looking for 96 C silver or grey fiestas with and without hubcaps? I think we both know the first appeal covers both as there was no mention whether hubcaps could be ruled in or out.

The lad didn't even follow through with the drugs for confession scheme. Just look what happened to Maria Farrell when she lied for clemency. Totally fell apart on the stand.

Judge Moran said in 2003 that MF was a credible witness who had to be subpoenaed to testify and he accepted her account. That is not consistent with a witness being bribed to testify, they would volunteer to testify or they wouldn't be keeping their side of the fictional 'bribe'.

Why can't you just say AGS tampering with evidence ripping out job book sheets and destroying evidence is red flag. You simply can't justify that away.

It is a 'red flag', I agree with GSOC's deep concerns about it. There's no evidence any of this was helpful to stitch up Bailey though since they first tried to have him charged less than two months after the murder.

• Advertisement

I'll have to go to a greater authority then, maybe Gemma O'Doherty, sure she was a great investigative reporter. She must know the 'truthier story'.'

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement