Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Price of Retro Games

• 10-08-2021 10:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭

I swear there was a time where it was easy to buy older games (particularly 16-bit titles and lower) a few years ago. Nowadays it feels like the prices of some of these games have shot up ridiculously. I don't know if it has anything to do with inflation, demand, covid or anything else, but these expensive games are not really that rare. They're very available and yet are still packing an outrageous price.

I'm finding it difficult to buy older games as frequently as I used to. There was a time about 4 or 5 years ago where I went daft on importing games from Japan and, while it was expensive, it was still doable over time. If I was to buy the exact same things today, my wallet would vapourise into thin air.

I've bought "rare" games before, and they were expensive enough, but I decided to look at the same games and compare -- Jesus it's not even funny.

Super Shinobi 2 (NTSCJ) for Mega Drive, I bought it CIB for €79 before shipping. The price I'm seeing for it now has reached €150-200

Sonic and Knuckles (NTSCJ) for Mega Drive, I bought it CIB (beautiful copy as well, almost pristine) for €66 before shipping. The price I'm seeing now is between €130-180, with the 130 range being horribly damaged.

These games are still widely available. Lots of copies being sold, and yet the price has doubled. Even auctions are having ridiculous starting prices. I'm not an expert on financial jargon but I know that the price of anything in general doesn't shoot up that quick over 5 years.

Have people gone too smug about the value of games? Pricecharting.com gives me hope every time I look at it but nearly every time I click on a game I'm interested in that is cheaper than what I've seen, it's not available anymore. Looking at the graph specifically for MD games in PAL regions, how can the value be an average of 21 quid unless they're loose or sports titles?

I don't understand.

But let it be known I'm not looking to buy "super rare" games that are impossible to find cheap. I'm looking for very commonly available games that I would have been able to buy lots of a few years ago, that are now as dear as a Switch game today.

I'm rather bitter about it, as a retro game enthusiast this is really frustrating.... and what makes it even more frustrating is that even if I do decide to put money on a game, it's not just the base price anymore, it's not even just the shipping price, there's Import tax even when buying from the UK. It just makes it all the more expensive.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,204 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Double post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Covid over the past 17 months has helped shoot up the prices of a lot of things, including retro games. Everyone and their mother got into older games from March 2020 due to lockdowns all over the world, shops closed, no leaving your town etc, so prices shot up due to demand. Its that simple.

Its the same with all hobbies over this time, prices shot up for everything second hand.

No idea when they will go down though. maybe in the next year or two perhaps.

Master of the Universe

Yeah I wrote a long post, it came up twice so I deleted the second one and then upon refreshing, my second post was gone and my initial long reply just had 'double post' written in it.

Have I mentioned that I hate Vanilla?

Master of the Universe

My original reply was just saying how people can't go out anymore and spend their money on nights out, holidays etc, so people have a lot more to spend elsewhere.

Couple that with a lot of people being more nostalgic for simpler (non covid!) times and it's made the price of collectables across the board shoot through the roof. Videogames especially as you can stay indoors and hide from the virus while playing them.

I've had to completely stop buying new games on ebay as a result. Be interesting to see if they come down again when things get a bit more back to normal.

• Advertisement

I'm starting to see the problems with the new site creeping in, to be honest lol

I found an article that mentioned COVID had indeed become a factor in prices going up. I just didn't think it'd happen with this market for whatever reason. Buying from the UK in particular has become a nightmare because it's not only a hike in price, but the inclusion of import tax as well. I hate it lol

I'm not just a collector, I actually want to play these games as well. Yeah, I have my Everdrive, Launchbox, etc., but it never feels right. The only shop I've been able to find games that are somewhat affordable and, to an extent, local-ish, is TheRetroGameStore in Wexford, but his Mega Drive selection isn't entirely great. Mostly sports games and loose copies of others.

I tried looking at Etsy just for curiosity's sake but it's full of repros that are probably bugged to hell or don't work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Definitely struggling with prices now, especially thanks to eBay and it's annoying global shipping program being super common with US sellers in particular.

What was attractive before was the prices, coupled with my seeming immunity to getting charged VAT on imports via AnPost for whatever reason, so I hoovered stuff up. But now not only are things more expensive, but I'm paying extra charges and not very cheap shipping! 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,747 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I see some bellends are happy enough to throw 2 million at a copy of Super Mario Bros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Whilst there has been an upward trend in "retro = profit" over the last few years as everyone and their granny gets in on what they think is a gold mine, I think Covid has set it into overdrive to ridiculous levels. People who now find themselves stuck at home with the above mindset have discovered ebay and suddenly think their loose collection of cartridges consisting of Sonic the Hedgehog, Madden Football/Ice Hockey 95, and [Insert Soccer game name here] are worth £100 each with a straight face.

Speaking from a Sega Megadrive perspective, it's gone bonkers for PAL games, particularly where the 32X is concerned. The price jumps on such games would put pre-WW2 Weimar Germany's inflation woes to shame, with games rapidly climbing into the triple digit range that were maybe £60 complete in box two years ago. Some megadrive games really seem to have become insanity central price-wise, and whilst I get the rarity of some of them, the asking prices for loose or incomplete copies is just mind boggling, like Castlevania: the new generation, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: the Hypterstone Heist, or Mega Turrican. It's all gone from collectible to Gordon Gecko of Wall st. levels of greed now.

Adding to the out-and-out-greed factor are some of the repro asking prices. When you are being asked to shell out £300 for a repro of a game (in this case Darxide for the 32X; coincidentally the estimated value of a legit copy now, excluding that absolute plank in Dubai asking for £6k), you know it's all gone horrendously tits up.

I cannot see the prices falling back to more realistic levels now that they have gone up into the stratosphere - at least not for a long time - because nobody wants to admit to themselves that they were taken for a mug. Best that one can do right now is apply an extra level of scrutiny before buying a game that seems a tad on the high side of asking prices.

I actually found a website earlier this year, Chilloutgames, advertised on some magazines I'm subscribed to, and they were actually decent value, some complete in boxes. I got Urban Strike off them this year for about €14 (+5 delivery), but now they don't deliver to the EU because of new VAT laws or whatever it was.

Disheartening to say the least.

Sometimes I wish I lived in America, where "thrift" stores are aplenty and you'll nearly always find something. Charity shops where I've been to all have the same shite; umpteen copies of Brain Training, FIFA 10 and High School Musical on PS2. And if there is anything from the 5th gen or lower, it's always something like Shrek for PS1 or a theory test CD for your computer. It's always the same crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭head82

I think you and me are visiting the same charity shops. I never find anything of interest in either of my two local shops. It doesn't make sense. You'd think the law of averages would dictate that at least once in a blue moon, something of interest would turn up. But no.. nothing.. ever!

I suppose it's possible that old console games like Master System, MegaDrive, Snes, PS1 etc. are deemed too old and most likely dumped rather than take up shelf space. However, I've had my suspicions for awhile now that anything of a retro nature is being 'cherry picked' by whoever sorts out the stock.

Either that, or some clever customer has an arrangement with the staff to 'put aside' any old video games.

If it is the latter.. I wish I had thought of it first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭frasr

Some crazy pricing out there at the moment. Was in local CEX recently and spotted they are charging €32 for Wii Sports in the cardboard sleeve, though this was <€5 game. Nintendo always seems to have it's own eco-system on keeping game prices high, but this is a whole new level of craziness. Same with wii console, think these were about 25 or 30 last time I looked in CEX, recommended one to a friend for his kids as I thought they were cheap as chips, he came back and said they were 70. Dusted off an old one and gave it to him (hopefully it doesn't cost him a tv or two!)

Agreed that ebay is a disaster now, UK can be basically considered too much hassle and the postage costs from the EU normally puts everything into the not worth it category

@head82 wrote:

I suppose it's possible that old console games like Master System, MegaDrive, Snes, PS1 etc. are deemed too old and most likely dumped rather than take up shelf space. However, I've had my suspicions for awhile now that anything of a retro nature is being 'cherry picked' by whoever sorts out the stock.

Either that, or some clever customer has an arrangement with the staff to 'put aside' any old video games.

TBH, it'll be six of one and a half dozen of the other. I have heard of people having first dibs sweetheart deals with charity shop staff. Whether those deals are off or on the books I couldn't say. That being said, more and more I think it is the charities themselves have someone on staff who has an idea for pricing since I've found quite a few charities selling games on ebay (I've bought a few at decent prices but it's hit or miss with the asking prices) among a whole host of other stuff.

@frasr wrote:

Some crazy pricing out there at the moment. Was in local CEX recently and spotted they are charging €32 for Wii Sports in the cardboard sleeve, though this was <€5 game. Nintendo always seems to have it's own eco-system on keeping game prices high, but this is a whole new level of craziness. Same with wii console, think these were about 25 or 30 last time I looked in CEX, recommended one to a friend for his kids as I thought they were cheap as chips, he came back and said they were 70. Dusted off an old one and gave it to him (hopefully it doesn't cost him a tv or two!)

TBH, anything home/garden recreational-related has seen incredible demand over the last 18 months. Board games, computer games, table top wargames, garden games, anything that can entertain a family at home ... demand and consequently pricing has gone bonkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭smokingman

Hmmm...maybe it's time to see what my copy of Conkers Bad Fur Day in its box with all literature would get so :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,747 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I really don't see the prices going down or go down any time soon. I think it's just accelerated the price hike but would have ended up like this eventually.

Maybe we will see price drops like with the Atari 2600 stuff but I kind of don't think so. 8-bit stuff and onwards is still very playable and very popular with populist youtube collectors so I have a bad feeling it's not going to go down.

I need a better job.

@Retr0gamer wrote:

Maybe we will see price drops like with the Atari 2600 stuff but I kind of don't think so. 8-bit stuff and onwards is still very playable and very popular with populist youtube collectors so I have a bad feeling it's not going to go down.

I think in the medium term, it'll be the shops and then the sole-trader sorts that will move first on price points as they begin to want to shift stock, but I think that'll be the far end of "medium" at any rate. Joe soap sales prices on ebay will not come down because "that's the price I once saw it sold for" or "that's the price I paid". If and when rates fall, it wont be back to what they were though as you said, it'll be more along the lines of the inevitable price climbs over time that have just happened that much quicker.

I'm gonna have to readjust how I spend my money on these games. There are a lot of games I regret not buying in hindsight (Streets of Rage 3, Sonic 3 NTSC-J, Golden Axe 3). And I also really hate how Mega Drive games always appeared to be cheaper than SNES games over the years, the fact that the MD is my favourite retro system -- now the games are flying up in price - it's killing the enjoyment for me.

I hope to, one day, find something that'll be unusually low in price to the point I'll shake after buying it. I hear of those stories from people who find hidden gems somewhere - I want that so bad. Almost thought I had it years ago when I found Mutant League Football for €5, but got the games in my head mixed up when I realised it's the Hockey title that's more rare. 🤭

At the moment, the average price of games I'm currently looking to buy over the next few weeks are between 25 and 40 euro (I remember some of these games being between 15-20 euro), so I'll just have to suck it up in the meantime. In terms of games I've waited to buy for a long time, God only knows when I'll be able to spare some cash.

I think in terms of "steals", Alisia Dragoon seems to be mine. I got that game for about 15 quid last year, and that game goes for almost three-digits. I don't know if the seller knew the value of it or what, but the only thing that isn't genuine about it is the manual (black and white, custom printed). I don't even know if it's a repro - I can't tell... subject for another thread I suppose.

That's insane. Alisia dragoon was a pretty cheap game not so long ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,470 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Yup. Im Officially out of collecting. What I have now I hold. Im going to whack up a couple of boxed super nintendos and super Famicoms and about 80 SNES games in the next few weeks as a job lot (all doubles) and then im out. I only collect SNES now and im at the point where if I want a game it's over €80... To me, that's insanity and I can't keep doing it. I have everything I ever wanted with the SNES and for the last few years I was just buying games because I didn't have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

I haven't bought a new retro game in about 2 years I'd guess.

Prices are just gone ridiculous. There's a few I still want to get but with prices for some of those €400-€500+ now I'm not bothered.

I was talking about this with a guy yesterday in work. Toys are gone the same way. But will people in 20 years really care about 16 bit games? Is the arse going to fall out of it?

I see a lot of graded games being sold for thousands and even hundreds of thousands. I don't get that either, if you pay €10'000 for a graded sealed copy of sonic, in 30 years time that's not going to be worth more money, I don't even think it's going to be worth the same money. That's just IMO though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

With Covid you have so many people that had alot more free time on their hands and some got into older games for nostalgia which drove up the price of games over the last year.

I have never understood the notion of buying a game that expensive -- what, just to say "This is the 4th rarest game in the world and I own it"?

I buy games to play them, as shocking as that may seem to a lot of those kind of eejits.

Some of those very expensive games are really great. Stuff like Hyperduel, Taromaru Psychic Killer, Gimmick etc. are all top tier classics. I'd never buy a game because it's rare but I own all three of those because I love to play them.

The problem is now you have very some slightly uncommon to common games hitting holy grail prices. It's complete madness.

Let's not even go into the recent silly auctions on three of the most common games you can find. They look dodgy as **** though. Apparently the company running the auctions sells investments in the items and then sells them for high prices and their clients get a piece of the profits. More than likely the company fudged the first auction to increase interest in other videogame items to artificially inflate the price (buyer is anonymous) or else there's some dodgy money laundering involved.

Master of the Universe

I actually have a selection of Akira cels going off to Heritage Auctions for their signature animation auction early 2022. Same crowd who sold that Mario 64 cart. Been speaking with their director of animation sales over the last few weeks while putting a consignment together and they're literally making millions with each signature auction they do, prices are through the roof.

Master of the Universe

Yeah, it's possible to get caught up in collecting for collecting sake. So almost seeing games more like stamps, there are rarer ones you want for your collection etc.

I did it for years myself, thankfully when this were about ten times cheaper than they are now. Wouldn't dream of spending the cash some people do on games these days, it's lunacy.

Unfortunately I'm a gaming connoisseur with expensive tastes in filthy japanese imports. 🧐

Actually have the prices on holy grail stuff gone up or is it just the common stuff that Jo casual would be looking for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭MSVforever

I was looking for Maniac Mansion for the C64 but there is no way I am paying +€500 for this...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Just bought two cheapo PS2 games off eBay. Last thing I bought was my PSP last Summer before things went to **** and one game from The Rage before Christmas also but the urge to browse eBay or seek out new games to look for is all but gone. Have a hard drive in the PS2 and SD card in the Dreamcast if I ever want to try new stuff but Sega stuff for me at the moment is a no go. It's a shame as I really do love browsing listings.

Typical, I'm now in the position to spend a bit now after buying my house last year and prices shoot up. Was hoping to get some minty boxed consoles and accessories along with a few pricier titles. Guess not...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

How much would my Shining Force 3 for the saturn go for?

• Advertisement

The average price it gets sold for is between 60 euro (loose), 130 euro (complete) and roughly 200 euro (brand new), according to pricecharting[.]com anyway.

Advertisement