Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Last I heard was Donal went back to Castlerahan just to stop Jody Devine getting the job. Now money bags Killygarry will be picking up Jody's big pay cheque. Be interesting to see how they go under him - it was a very difficult divorce in the end with Laragh.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mylestheslasher

Are there many clubs in Cavan being managed by locals? I am out of the county these days but it seems there is barely any and instead clubs putting massive "£expenses" the way of travelling mercenaries with no interest in the long term success of a club. Its a sad sight. If clubs spent a fraction of the expenses on developing coaches within their clubs would they not be better off in the long run

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭rrs

Ramor have Ray Cole over them, Jimmy Higgins with Crosserlough, Adrian Maguire Ballinagh, Dermot McCabe over with fintan Reilly from Redhills

A lot of the others have outside men

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Best of luck to the minors tomorrow, think the game is on Pairc TV for those not able to attend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Seems the underage talent has dries up and collapsed in Cavan. Who I wonder is responsible for this.

Everyones.

Alot of people will blame the head development officer but it isn't just his fault. That said, players aren't getting enough games and that fault does lie with him. Take U13 for example, some clubs will only get 7 competitive games under the current structure. Those games started in June and will end in early August. 2.5 months of the year with competitive games. I know there was Covid but that ended in April re games being stopped. If a young lad gets an injury, he could miss the whole championship for his age. If he goes on two weeks holidays with his family, he'll miss two of the seven games as alot of the time they are week on week. Other counties run Summer & Winter leagues but we don't.

Clubs. Everyone is out for themselves. For example, Maghera & Munterconnaught can't field competitive teams at senior level yet they continue to amalgamate at underage and have over 30 players for 13 or 15 a side leagues where a heap of young lads are left on the bench. Kill & Drung do the same with St Finbarrs. The county board are running 9 a side comps in fairness to them so its very few clubs can string together 9 players.

Management needs to be looked at. I didn't agree with Damien Donohoe getting the U20 job when better candidates were available. Farrelly has now had 3 years I think it is at minor and produced nothing. The way management teams are being selected needs to be looked at.

Monaghan and Roscommon have had underage success. We need to take a look at the models they are using.

Something has to change.

I haven't checked the scoring but somebody told me that Darragh Lovett is hugely rated but got one point from play over the 70 minutes? Unfortunately, Pairc TV didn't work as per normal and only got to see the last 15 minutes or so on Facebook. There was one particular female voice from Fermanagh that came over the microphone and sounded very vocal (and very annoying!).

Fermanagh much the better team it appeared. We were luck to get the penalty. Then one of the forwards, 15 maybe, had a chance to shoot at the end and turned back so the ref, correctly in my opinion, blew it up. He had given us the opportunity. Teams can't be expected to continue to go back and forth and try and work a tap over in a situation like that.

We Are Cavan lads said Lovett had six shots and got one score from it. Daire Madden also apparently had some erratic shots.

Perhaps the problem is talking up some of these young lads and players in general.

Damien Donohoe described Caomhin McGovern as being worth 5-6 points to his club in a review of club matches. That's a big impact for an 18 year old. He also mentioned Mick Argue (not much of a young lad now I admit) being worth 3-4 points to Bailieboro. Not sure when he last saw a Bailieboro game but when I last saw them play the only thing stood out about Argue was his height. I don't think any Bailieboro supporter would describe him as having that big an impact.

The pair of bucks on We Are Cavan also seemed to think that David Givney would arrive back onto the scene last year, after a number of years playing low quality football in London, and make a middling Mountnugent team into junior contenders. Surprise, surprise, the impact of one player has been far from that.

You mustn’t have much experience of coaching. There are plenty of players who get an inflated idea of their own/value performance because of over praise. Type the topic into Google and you’ll see plenty of research on the impacts of praise and sports psychology. You’re entitled to your opinion but it’s very naive.

Take Caoimhin O’Reilly for example. He’s been built up by some as the second coming of the messiah since that Tipp game in 2016. Has he justified people’s expectations? No he hasn’t and I’m still amazed to see people reference him when discussing starting teams as if he’s Cavan’s version of Con O’Callaghan. Do I think the coverage has affected him? Yes I do.

Caoimhin McGovern has been playing club football now at adult level for, what, a year. I don’t overly follow junior football but are you saying he’s consistently scoring 5/6 points for Shannon Gaels in most games in that timeline? You describe him as “excellent”. I wouldn’t think there’s enough of a sample there yet to band around terms like that. He hasn’t even completed a full season of adult football.

Niall McDermott, James Brady, O’Connell, Tierney, Dunne - those are some of the “excellent” club forwards, lads doing it consistently over the years and are generally worth 5 points plus to their teams.

• Advertisement

One of the lads works for a paper that is selling a fair few copies a week so its not just the podcast. I also said ''coverage'', not national coverage. For some lads, unfortunately, being the ''big lad'' locally in Cavan town is enough for them to arrive into pubs in their county tops, as we've seen in the past.

You mean to tell me that no player has ever got an inflated ego of their ability because of being talked up? I've seen it even happen with underage players at clubs. As I said, have a read about sports psychology and the effects of praise - there's more content there on even Google than I could ever post.

I'd feel there's not enough of a sample there to be labelling an 18 year old with less than a year's club football under his belt ''excellent'. I also note you dodged my question re him scoring 5 to 6 points per game consistently so I'll take it that he isn't doing that. Therefore, we return to my original point, I don't think Damien Donohoe should be labelling him worth 5-6 points for his team. They only scored 1-12 in a recent game so are the team relying on an 18 year old for nearly half their scores?

All the best to the lad in the future. Hopefully he goes on to be a cracking player for club and county and fulfils his early potential.

Did much of the 2-32 scored in the first 4 games come in a demolition of Maghera by any chance?

So points scored from play are worth more than frees?

Of the players you listed as being worth 5 points per game (Brady, McDermott, Dunne) none of them ever score from frees? News to me.

Give it a break please. He’s scored a lot in his first season, what’s the point in arguing about that. He’s clearly got potential.

An awful lot of nonsense. Anyone watching Caomhin can see he has huge potential. He probably needs to bulk up a bit. He is very young so running the lad down is unfair especially considering he is sick at the moment too. He even kicked two points for Cavan on debut as an underage player.

Nobody has said he doesn't have huge potential. What I've said is that its potential at the moment. He is only 18 and I'd like to see him perform at a high level before we go down the route of another Caoimhin O'Reilly.

I also don't feel its running him down to say I'd prefer to see a larger sample of games before I label him ''excellent'' and the like.

I've seen too many lads praised in the past to go down that route too early and like I said ''Hopefully he goes on to be a cracking player for club and county and fulfils his early potential''.

McGovern needs a few years of S/C. He's a good prospect but very light, had a quiet game against Down U20s. has another year with the U20s so hopefully he'll perform better.

What was the situation with a few forwards who featured for Cavan in Championship last year. TED. Stephen Smith, Was Ted on the panel this year?, a lot of these players come and go need a good run of games to get up to Speed. Cormac Reilly another.

Careful now, your point could be misinterpreted and you'll be accused of running a player down by keeping feet on the gound and describing him as a ''prospect'' and having ''potential''. You should be using superlatives at every opportunity.

One of the forwards you mention is from my club and all I can say is that he was making match day panels and starting teams last year but claims he hasn't even got a look in this year and has got no communication re why his status has changed. I'd be surprised to see him back in there for next year. He also reckons he never seen a happier management team than when Conor Moynagh walked into the changing room. Moynagh got more communication apparently than some of the fringe players received all year!

Tyrone beat Fermanagh 6-21 to 1-6 in the Minor Semi, which doesn't say much about Cavan

Roscommon had a good win against Down in the U20s. Down lost the plot with some of the tackles.

The sooner the club championship gets started and we can forget about this year’s county season, at all levels, the better.

It looks like the Ulster win last year papered over a lot of cracks that are now cruelly exposed again.

A full review is needed and something needs to drastically change.

• Advertisement

I don't think much will be done. 10 years ago Cavan won 1st Minor title in a long time ,and now one of the worst teams in Ulster at Minor. The u21s won 4 In a row.and that's a distant memory now.

Later in the year the Ulster Club is back again..Cavan have a very poor record in it.

The Cavan teams at Senior,Intermediate and Junior all drawn to play at home. Senior and Intermediate winners play the Down champions. Juniors play Antrim winners

The County Board are now telling teams only 200 supporters (100 from each club) allowed at the League semi finals this weekend unless they move them to Breffni where 500 will be allowed. The whole point of finishing higher in your group was to get home advantage!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭celt262

i doubt there be 100 supporters from each club at any league game.

Two of the games scheduled for the weekend would be seen as derbys - my own club Crosserlough face Ballinagh. I would expect to see easily more than 200 at that. Laragh also play Lavey. Those two clubs absolutely hate each other. Again, I'd expect to see more than 200 at a league semi final between them.

The other game is Gowna vs Cavan Gaels. There's been an interesting enough rivalry over the year between those two so, again, I'd expect to see more than 200 supporters attend.

Just to advise as well, clubs have been told juveniles are included in the 200 so its not 200 adult spectators at the game.

Yeah, but it wasn't being monitored at any the games I was at. Mostly that wasn't problematic earlier as either there wasn't 200 at any games or the weather was brilliant and everyone was well spaced out when there probably was a few over that number.

It wasn't being enforced before though. Perhaps the whole Tyrone situation has put some focus on it but I think it's more our CB being money grabbers, as someone said above, again. The CB are now putting the pressure on the clubs to get these games moved into Breffni. All 3 home clubs are at a stand off now though - the Gaels, Ballinagh & Lavey - and are refusing to move the games to Breffni as the rules clearly stated that the club finishing higher would get home advantage in any semi final.

There are also some people, more cynical than myself, that are saying the clubs who are playing away, Gowna, Crosserlough and Laragh, have individuals connected to them in or around the CB that can put some pressure on too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Its been a few years since I posted here. Good to see the thread going well!

What club are you from?

Re the above, I'm not sure you can blame the county coaches. I hate to go back to funding but it is a problem. We have 5 or 6 county board coaches I think it is split between, what, 40 clubs. Each coach has to try and get around 5/6 clubs, plus hurling. Compare that to Dublin where each club has pretty much their own coach assigned thanks to the development funding they've been given. Most clubs would love to have a coaching structure which amounted to more than fathers or ex players in their spare time but the resources aren't there. Its difficult enough to get coaches as it is. Some clubs can't even fill their committees.

Coaching education isn't just the responsibility of Cavan board either. Alot of the courses are run by Ulster but there are far too few of those. The main issue is that there simply isn't enough put into coaching education but I still think that comes from a lack of resources rather than a lack of interest. More funding would lead to extra staff/resources to provide the education.

Sure league gates go to clubs not county board so nothing to do with them been money grabbers.

• Advertisement

These are being counted as county board fixtures like championship games. The gate is going to the county board and they are providing some of the stewards at each ground.

Advertisement