Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

According to a research paper published by the central bank in 2018 there is evidence of higher default rates after the Dunne case

"The results are similar to those obtained via asymptotic inference, and indicate statistically higher default rates in the treatment group only after the time point of the Dunne judgment"

Source: 1rt18-the-impact-of-repossession-risk-on-mortgage-default-(o'malley).pdf (centralbank.ie) (Page 2)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

They aren't the same thing - but if the asset (a home) is unaffordable to the vast majority of the intended buyers, it signals something wrong in the market and that the asset may be overpriced.

In this case, state interference (AHBs and councils buying) and private investors buying are both pushing prices up - this is neither normal or sustainable. Should interest rates go up, pension funds etc will not buy as much Irish property seeking rental yields, and should the state start building social homes again (which they will) councils will stop buying private property.

Just as stocks can be overpriced, so too can assets like property.

You are right in saying property can be overpriced but unfortunately this is not just an Irish Phenomenon and as property prices become unaffordable for the general public the investors that are pushing up prices see an increase in demand for rental of their investment properties as people that are unable to afford a property are pushed into the rental Market. As long as their is strong demand for rental properties we will see investors buying more and more property as it is a viscous circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

When we speak about overpriced stocks, in most cases we have specific measures as earning, in this case P/E. Many stocks like Tesla are seen overpriced 5 times and more.

Whereas there is no measure to tell if property prices are overpriced. The closest probably may be property price to rent ratio.

You can use a P/E ratio as an indictor if a share price is overvalued in relation to current earnings but that doesn't mean that the share price is overvalued as many companies that have low earnings at the moment but potential for increased earnings in the future will have a high P/E Ratio but that is not to say that they are overvalued.

When you are unable to borrow to fund the pricing of a house due to macro prudential rules (3.5 x LTI) then this tells you that property prices are overvalued in relation to income but you can't assume that this overvaluation will lead to a correction as it does not take into account items like savings, wealth, Impact of investments or government on property prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

The point is how can somebody put a number randomly to say how much they are "overpriced" by. Price is always determined by how much somebody is willing to pay. I think Rolex watches are tacky looking and put little value on them but people pay a lot for them. As I will not buying one my opinion on value is mute. Everybody buying a house wants more than they can afford and has to compromise.

People really have to understand their desires do not determine price and things they think have to change don't have to change as they want. Houses being split up is the most likely outcome going forward not reduced prices in the long term. There are already about 10% of the houses on my road are now 2 households for families it is inevitable this will continue as home size reduces and car costs go up. The generations coming are going to have very different lifestyles and there will no longer be the "normal" people expect. Very little has stayed the same since I was child and nobody predicted most of it. As a child in the 80s the idea I would work with Russians on computers wasn't even vaguely an idea

• Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I take your point with numbers - nobody can really say what the "true" price of a house is to any degree of accuracy, but you can make general statements when it goes way beyond affordability for the target market.

If somebody decided to buy up all the baby clothes in the world - despite not being the intended market - the price would rise far beyond families who need them. Then you could say it's "overpriced" in relation to the target market.

The target market for homes is by and large owner-occupiers - yet these people are priced out. That implies overpriced/affordability issue. The exact degree of "overpricing" is impossible to say, but once it goes beyond max affordability it is overpriced for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

I see P/E as the most common metric used to evaluate if the stocks are overvalued. I personal would not call any stocks overvalued if it's listed on open market, as that means it's regulated by market price. Overvalued is very subjective term, depending of which metrics we use our results would be very different.

In the same way in regards to property price, I don't see how 3.5 LTI determines what is overvalued. It may make more sense to say not affordable for ordinary people, but if there are buyers I would not call it overvalued. But again it's more of subjective term, that there would not be agreement on what is overvalued. Overvalued to me is something that there are no buyer for the price on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

I agree with all this but one dark cloud on the horizon (or silver lining depending on your position) is that demand for property in Ireland is predicted to stay strong due to the massive population growth expected over the coming decades. A lot of this growth is based on immigration as opposed to increases to the birth rate. Putting aside the "everything bubble" and assuming that it does not pop, our population numbers go up but it is not a guarantee that this demand will equal sustained pricing in the housing market.

There needs to be a good reason to come to Ireland for this demand to be sustained and one thing myself I see as a possible error in the calculation of sustained demand due to immigration is the quality of the immigration in terms of their own personal situation and how that might feed into demand for housing at the costs it is in Ireland. For example, central or south American students/low paid essential workers as well as Indians filling low paid tech jobs will feed into demand for property but at the current cost of housing there is little to no chance that the current prices would even be met by this type of immigrant to Ireland. The other point is just that, should the increased immigration not materialise anywhere near to the extent it is predicted to grow, then there will be a fairly steady flow of downward prices across the market as the tide of buyers/renters who can afford these elevated costs goes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Autorotator

Can any one tell me how estate agents calculate the sqm of a house. Looking at a new build, the plans submitted for planning permission show 106sqm at best but on the marketing material provided by the estate agent its advertising them at 113 sqm . Are they including the patio in that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Internal vs external maybe, could easily have 20m of walls perimeter at 0.3m thick, 2 floors that is 12m2.

Might be best to just ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭markjbloggs

Just a quick question : why would a property display a real estate agents "For Sale" sign but not be advertised on that agents website or on Daft/Myhome? Sign went up a week ago but still no indication of asking price. I called the agent, who was very evasive and would not indicate the asking price, suggesting the sign guy "jumped the gun" ! The house is in flats and the tenants have had notice to leave but there is no indication that it will remain in flats or refurbed as a family home.

Is there something underhand going on with this house?

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

Grim reading and really we can't get enough red flags on the social, political and economic instability that will emerge the longer rents and house prices do not materially decrease.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Push comes to shove the priority is those who overpaid for property back in the 2000s. Dublin will never have affordable housing until that cohort is told they will never recoup their debts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

We are heading to a situation where you will only rent.

Nobody but institutions will be able to afford to buy property.

Any current buy to let l;andlords left in the market will be driven out in short order.

People will just have to get used to renting for the rest of their lives.

All swings and roundabouts, will come around again in 5/6 years

Possibly, but only if its the result of a huge housing crash I fear.

I'm by far an economic expert but I also have to wonder how expert some econmists are.

Main issue at the minute is shortage as there was very few houses built for the best part of a decade. I don't see a housing collapse as the economy now isn't totally reliant on one sector as we were in the boom. Maybe there will be a correction if funds/markets take a drop but that's something I know very little about.

People are panic buying due to lack of supply which is driving up prices. Dublin is simply unaffordable for many but most attractive cities are. I just feel sorry for young families who really want to buy now and are renting. They're the real victims.

Nobody ever sees a housing crash :)

There are lots that take a guess and then claim some sort of economics genius IQ at work, but if we could see crashes coming, well, there wouldnt be crashes.

You gotta weigh the risk for yourself and then decide what you are happy to do.

You post is an exact copy of some i read in around 2006 or 7 though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

They've definitely been one of the top priorities for the Government over the last decade when it comes to housing. And fair enough in some respects.

But surely the majority of people who bought then, even at the top of the boom, would no longer be in negative equity when you look at current prices and factor in 15 years of mortgage repayments. Probably some outliers but in the vast majority of cases surely?

Unfortunately in the really extreme cases the only way to help some of these people is essentially to have someone else overpay to the extent that they did - hardly much of a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Australia has never had a housing crash and Ireland has had one. Talking about them as regular events is farcical, they are extremely uncommon. You can have a child and put it through 3 levels of education and watch it get it's first job between crashes, in countries that have them.

Dublin Chamber of Commerce 2022 budget wishlist, with a huge emphasis on the need to make housing more affordable (i.e. material decreases in cost and significant increase in appropriate supply). So the businesses as well as the electorate have housing as their biggest political issue, it is a tsunami of cries for change at this stage, with pretty much little to no noise in voices happy enough with the status quo.

The top concern related to housing, as the chamber called on the State to double public capital investment in the sector, and to target urban areas in order to deliver “appropriate accommodation and ease pressure on the private market”.

Dublin Chamber chief executive Mary Rose Burke said: “Housing is now the top concern for 71 per cent of businesses in Dublin. The availability and affordability of housing remains the most immediate threat to cost competitiveness in the Greater Dublin Area.

“This also poses a challenge to maintaining our FDI competitiveness in the future. To tackle the housing crisis, the State needs to play a central role rather than a merely supplementary one.

“Social housing policy needs to shift definitively from reliance on acquisition and rental support to the construction of purpose-built affordable homes on a large scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Certainly a large portion of those who got trapped as accidental landlords have exited, but offloading property is not exactly a quick or easy process. And political dogma tends to remain even after the "problem" has gone.

That's the way it looks like going.... And as rents increase it will create wage inflation which in turn will make the building of houses more expensive which will make them more unaffordable and the cycle continues.

Unless there is action take to build large scale social housing which would free up rental properties and put downward pressure on rents I can't see the situation changing.. .....that is unless they find a new way of building properties cheaper which is unlikely as the properties will need to be eco friendly.

Instead you have the councils renting and buying up private rentals

Reversal in mass migration from EU countries to Ireland to work for MNCs would probably do a job on alleviating the crises with rentals.

I'd nearly read posts from that time for an insight 🤣

If only it was a month ago when boards could be used properly you would have had hours of entertainment going back through posts from years gone by.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭yer man!

These Daft reports are not good for my mental health. I have been following them for years, I heard on Newstalk yesterday they mentioned the first time the words "Rental Crisis" were mentioned in the news was 7 years ago. This problem requires an emergency sledgehammer approach at this stage. Declare it an emergency and start breaking down barriers to dwelling construction. I wonder will there be a straw that breaks the camels back moment in this, the Maynooth investment fund fiasco a while back sure felt like a pivotal point in this ordeal.

Advertisement