Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immigration Control Officer - Dublin Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Tanyatf44

blackeagle wrote: »
    Hi got an email this morning basically offering 6 month fixed contract for 10 position may turning to permanent if positions arise during the lifetime of panel. Anyone else got same? And what do yous think about it?
    Thanks

Got 1 too. Dont think i could leave a permanent post for something that is only a temporary post that might lead to permanent position.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 blackeagle

Tanyatf44 wrote: »
    Got 1 too. Dont think i could leave a permanent post for something that is only a temporary post that might lead to permanent position.

Valid point . Its bit of risk specially if you already have permanent job .
    Would be a different ball game if it was permanent contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Definitely sounds like a risky proposition leaving a permanent position elsewhere

I think the way the things are (covid) at the moment they don't want to fill permanent positions and if things go side ways again in couple of months time that they will let people go. I do understand where they coming from but 6 month fixed term contract won't be attractive to many people and they will end up offering full time permanent after.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭2006

I was offered a position early this week but I refused it and asked them to withdraw my application as iv since got another job. I also know of 2 people who received the same offer and also refused the position

• Advertisement

2006 wrote: »
    I was offered a position early this week but I refused it and asked them to withdraw my application as iv since got another job. I also know of 2 people who received the same offer and also refused the position

Hi do you mind me asking was the offer a 6 month fixed term or full time permanent?

blackeagle wrote:
    Hi do you mind me asking was the offer a 6 month fixed term or full time permanent?

There was no mention of a 6 month offer. Just said they had received a request from the dept of justice for another immigration control officer and they reached my name in order of merit

There was no mention of a 6 month offer. Just said they had received a request from the dept of justice for another immigration control officer and they reached my name in order of merit

This is interesting. If they didn't mention the term I assume that it was the original panel which was permanent position .

blackeagle wrote:
    This is interesting. If they didn't mention the term I assume that it was the original panel which was permanent position .

I have copied and pasted the email below

I have received a request for an Immigration Control Officer with the Department of Justice in Dublin Airport.

I have reached your name or the Order of Merit and attach documents in relation to this vacancy.

I would be grateful if you would return the completed documents by Close of Business Tuesday 22 June 2021 please.

I have copied and pasted the email below

I have received a request for an Immigration Control Officer with the Department of Justice in Dublin Airport.

I have reached your name or the Order of Merit and attach documents in relation to this vacancy.

I would be grateful if you would return the completed documents by Close of Business Tuesday 22 June 2021 please.

Yeah my understanding is this is the job offer for the position we all previously applied and put panel for which was full time permanent. I been told I'm on the panel early 30s and if they reach my number I be contacted but instead of that I just got a email for if I interested I can apply for 6 month fixed term while waiting on the panel for full time.

• Advertisement

blackeagle wrote:
    Yeah my understanding is this is the job offer for the position we all previously applied and put panel for which was full time permanent. I been told I'm on the panel early 30s and if they reach my number I be contacted but instead of that I just got a email for if I interested I can apply for 6 month fixed term while waiting on the panel for full time.
    I was early 40's on the panel so I'd imagine you will get the full time offer soon enough as you weren't far behind me in order of merit

I was early 40's on the panel so I'd imagine you will get the full time offer soon enough as you weren't far behind me in order of merit

I remember I contacted them after the positions being filled they told me I'm down to 34 on the list which was moving quick enough then covid happened.
    Tbh I'm bit hesitant now after all these things even if I get permanent offer.
    I have full time permanent job last 11 years so it will be risky move for me even I really like the idea working as ICO.

blackeagle wrote:
    I remember I contacted them after the positions being filled they told me I'm down to 34 on the list which was moving quick enough then covid happened. Tbh I'm bit hesitant now after all these things even if I get permanent offer. I have full time permanent job last 11 years so it will be risky move for me even I really like the idea working as ICO.

Go with your gut in that case. That's why I withdrew from it. I'm happy with the job I'm in now and the shift work wouldn't suit

blackeagle wrote: »
    I remember I contacted them after the positions being filled they told me I'm down to 34 on the list which was moving quick enough then covid happened.
    Tbh I'm bit hesitant now after all these things even if I get permanent offer.
    I have full time permanent job last 11 years so it will be risky move for me even I really like the idea working as ICO.
    Although there is some risk of not being kept on I'd still jump at it. Basically no new ICO's taken on over last 2 years, crying out for bodies there over the summer, everything is going to pick up in the next couple of months so there is definitely going to be permanent positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Although there is some risk of not being kept on I'd still jump at it. Basically no new ICO's taken on over last 2 years, crying out for bodies there over the summer, everything is going to pick up in the next couple of months so there is definitely going to be permanent positions.

I'd literally sell my soul to the devil himself for this offer!! :D (I'm way down the OOM though!)

job seeker wrote: »
    I'd literally sell my soul to the devil himself for this offer!! :D (I'm way down the OOM though!)

The way covid went with people moving on I'm sure they will get through the numbers faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Guy I know got the job. The shifts are notionally 12 hours but usually you're told to go home after 8. Handy and interesting job apparently.

Anyone else been offered the role?

Finally they got back to me for permanent position. I'm going for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭wangchung

You are right to take the permanent position but use it as a stepping stone into get into other areas of the Civil Service. You are not treated the same in this area as you would be in other departments. Apparently a lot of people are applying to get out and move to other areas; it is not a happy place to work in

• Advertisement

Does anyone has an experience dealing with pay grade? I mean is it strict by public job pay scale ? I have over 10 years health care service experience but not with HSE. it is private company I'm working for. So do yous think I can discuss pay scale if I accept the post? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

Private sector experience is never considered for civil service jobs. With a couple of exceptions - solicitor, barrister for some legal roles in the civil service

• Registered Users Posts: 1 yippiekiyay56

Interesting! An expression of interest was sent around to my unit, I personally didn’t want to work the shifts. However, nothing was mentioned about being able to leave early. Is HR cooking the clocks out there??? 

Interesting role for sure, the rest is absolute nonsense!

You have to work your full shifts. The job is no longer interesting and has never been handy; management have made sure of that.

I wouldn't say the job is no longer interesting but each to their own.

Yup, at the moment feels like they doing everything in their power to push staff out. But keeping their amigos looked after and have them stay. Awful atmosphere out there, considering how many COs stepped up to do work not even related to immigration. But hey ho its all aload of ballocks. At the end of the day your only a number.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Brisco1979

There isn’t a HR unit out there. There is a PO in town but she doesn’t care about staff or their mental health. Normally covers stuff up then fix the problem. There is no clock either. What’s being referred to there is local arrangements. AKA for a CO not been provided with scheduled breaks and you get let go in lieu of that. For certain COs, EOs, the new HEO grade (who work less contracted hours then everyone else but still get full allowances) the entire back office and the AP they may as well job share. These arrangements are used as a threat by management. As they know without them the BMU would fall apart. Which at the moment it is. They even bringing out old staff on better conditions. Less hours same shift and allowance payments. To make sure they have cover in case of walkouts and resignations. Job is unbearable. Good thing you opted not to take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

• Advertisement

There is a total disregard and lack of empathy for the staff out there. No other Dept treats staff so badly . Until the attitude towards staff changes, there will always be a negative and demotivated staff

Advertisement