Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Followed threads

Options
  • 21-07-2021 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭

When I posed in a thread it would automatically become a followed thread.

now even a thread I create myself doesn’t become a followed thread

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Threads you start yourself will be available as My Discussions but threads you post in you would still need to follow (bookmark)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Why is there 2 lists now and why do I manually have to bookmark them? It was automatically done before once I posted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yeah the lack of automatically "bookmarking" (or whatever) any thread you've posted in is a significant downgrade in user functionality for me. Unless someone explicitly quotes or mentions me, it's not going to appear in my notifications.

and on the touch site its a pain to have to scroll down to the bottom to find the bookmarks link

I never used redit or many other forums because the user functionality was so awkward.

boards was simple and easy

i accept they needed to change their platform, but that didn't mean they couldn't keep certain features...

is there any update on why i have to manually bookmark threads?

is there any plans to make it automatic when i post in a thread?

this thread wasn't even in my threads and i created it!

• Advertisement

Any threads you start yourself but haven't bookmarked will still be listed under My Discussions. Being automatically subbed to a thread you post in is on the list of things to update, I can't say when exactly it will be implemented though.

Thanks for responding Niamh

another of the very many unhappy boards users here with the recent changes

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Just to add a note on this @Seve OB , on Touch if you tap on your user avatar, an extra layer of a menu will appear with icons for notifications, PMs, Bookmarks, and Profile. Tapping on the star should result in a modal popping up with links to your bookmarked threads. I will add that I say "should" because some users are encountering an issue whereby the modal doesn't appear, but we are looking into this further.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah I keep forgetting to bookmark threads Ive posted in and someone might reply in the next post but unless they have quoted me I wont know about it. I know its been worked on to get fixed but the system as it is now isnt doing anyone any favours when you dont get notifications unless its bookmarked

Thanks mark. I did notice that. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn’t. Though seems to work more now than in earlier days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

I noticed if you go to search and put in your own username, you can sort posts by newest.

That's the only I can see to see the threads I've posted in

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Mach Two

How do I unfollow a thread. There used to be a follow/unfollow button on the old Boards.

You can unbookmark the thread by clicking on the bookmark icon on the top of the page. There is no way at the moment to differentiate between which threads you get email or pop up notifications for or not, it's all or nothing. You can switch those on or off in notification preferences: https://www.boards.ie/profile/preferences/

Hopefully we can improve this in the future so that you can notifications for specific threads (or not, as you want)

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Leonita

I'm constantly getting notifications every time somebody posts in a thread I'm following. Is there a way to just get the one notification that there are new posts to be read? Its frustrating to see 50 new notifications for the one thread. Then when the post is read notifications still appear (even one I've clicked on) and have to click mark all as read. Very annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,969 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Only way would be to check it in bookmarks.

Its annoying when you get a notification of posts on a thread. But you have to mark all as read even after being in the thread and viewing the few youve been notified about.

I even get multiple notifications about threads that are not bookmarked or even followed prior to the changeover. Extremely annoying. One notification per bookmarked thread should be more than enough

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

On mobile, you may have to scroll to the right to see the boxes.

Is this enabled? 

I'm using a laptop never on the mobile. Yes that is ticked. Should any of those boxes be actually ticked?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Any update on this, is it not high priority, surely one of the main drivers of traffic is people going back to threads they have already responded to/started in order to keep engaging with the conversation. If I post in a thread but not bookmarked chances of me going back are pretty slim.

I'm fully aware of the process but still forget and have threads that I havn't gone back to because they are not readily visible to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I literally have to scroll back on the notifications from everyone who has posted to find the last time I viewed. So basically I have to remember the time I last viewed. I presume there's no way to stop multiples and just have one notification and until that link is clicked it won't bother you anymore?

I've already had to disable my email notifications as I was getting the same amount of emails as to the replies on a post.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Depends on what notifications you want.

I just turned on pop-up notifications for new comments on my bookmarked threads. I turned it off after a few minutes because it was too much. I can see why you don't like it.

I would, however, still like to be notified of private messages, mentions etc. so I've left those on.

so bolding and unbolding seem to be working, kinda.

not right in my threads on pc, everything still in bold

• Registered Users Posts: 13,944 ✭✭✭✭josip

Is there a single icon you can click on to go to the first unread post in a thread you are following?

The same as on the old boards, it was a triangle pointing down icon on the left of the thread name.

(Edit in case anyone else asks the same dumb question)

Clicking on the full thread name text will bring you to the first unread post

Advertisement