Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭floorpie

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I understand what a null hypothesis is. Their rejection region was set according to the number of positive cases during the trial, to give the test a power of 90%.

The reason I pasted the hypothesis is to show that the statistical test for primary efficacy includes everybody who had a PCR test taken, only. People who were asymptomatic are irrelevant here, they are not factored into the statistical test for primary efficacy.

This test was designed to show that the vaccine reduces rates of infection, compared to placebo. It does this by assessment of PCR and positive/negative results across cohorts.

So back to my original question, why is everybody now saying that we didn't expect vaccines to reduce rates of infection?

According to the protocol, if the vaccine is not stopping infection significantly (symptomatic or asymptomatic, it doesn't matter), it fails the trial according to the primary criteria for efficacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Champagne Sally

Yes it looks like the walk in clinics page from the hse website is going to be updated. I'm thinking this is for the 12 to 15 yr olds announcement tomorrow to allow them to attend. Well I'm hopeful anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Again, infection and disease is not one and the same. In order to assess infection rates outright you'd need a regular PCR schedule like Oxford had in their UK trial. PCR can only detect an acute infection, it turns negative once it's cleared (it's not an antibody assay). The vaccines did and still do prevent infections outright and that's a big plus for us all. The trails were designed to measure disease caused by SARS-cov-2 (symptoms) as primary outcome, the specifics of how that disease prevention was happening was not established in them. They simply were not set up to measure that in any reliable way. From the trial data you could not tell with any degree of confidence that all the difference between placebo and vaccine was due to outright infection prevention or if the difference came from the vaccine turning infected people asymptomatic. A lot of experts were criticizing both Pfizer and Moderna at the time for not making an effort to establish that.

That in turn feeds into the question of how important is outright infection prevention in individuals in relation to their chances of ending up in a hospital. Since the trials were too small to establish that, there was no data about it until after mass deployment of the vaccines. At the moment it looks like even if vaccine efficacy takes a hit in regards to outright infections and symptomatic disease it doesn't translate to an equivalent increase in hospitalization risk. That risk appears to have remained relatively static in the face of outbreaks and variants. That's an important factor as it detaches a vaccinated population's infection rates from hospitalizations and mortality. The other factor that has now been established is that even if a breakthrough infection does land a person in hospital they have significantly better chances of getting out of there alive and well.

All that then informs policy making, if people are largely getting head colds and not clogging up hospitals, then it's a significantly less of a concern that if you absolutely need outright infection prevention to avoid hospitals from being overrun.

Thank you for the added info. I see what you're saying about PCR and acute infection, and infection versus disease, I see why I was confused earlier.

I'm still confused though because:

1) the primary efficacy objective they state is "to demonstrate the efficacy of mRNA-1273 to prevent COVID-19 [when compared to placebo]"

2) the primary efficacy assessment says that COVID-19 is denoted in the case that "the participant [has] at least one NP swab, nasal swab, or saliva sample (or respiratory sample, if hospitalized) positive for SARS-CoV-2 by RT-PCR"

A positive PCR implies infection, so the primary efficacy objective is to assess infection, not disease, according to its assessment. Therefore the test should compare PCR tests (infection) between placebo and vaccinated cohorts, with efficacy indicated by reduced infection, so regarding your statement:

"From the trial data you could not tell with any degree of confidence that all the difference between placebo and vaccine was due to outright infection prevention or if the difference came from the vaccine turning infected people asymptomatic"

It seems that the primary efficacy assessment should clearly describe infection prevention versus asymptomatic illness.

The only way in which it wouldn't be clear is if their statistical test only compares rates of positive PCR AND symptoms across cohorts, and did not include positive tests without symptoms, or negative tests with symptoms. They aren't clear about whether or not they do this, but they surely do not, because it could lead to the absurd situation in which all participants who receive a vaccine to prevent COVID-19 are never PCR tested for COVID-19 after being vaccinated. It would be a complete farce if the reason vaccinated people are now being infected, is because Moderna never actually tested the vaccine for infection prevention even though it's the stated primary objective of the trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

COVID-19 is the disease and SARS-cov-2 is the infectious agent that can cause it. COVID-19 is described with a set of possible symptoms AND a positive PCR test for the presence of SARS-cov-2 RNA.

[QUOTE]

The only way in which it wouldn't be clear is if their statistical test only compares rates of positive PCR AND symptoms across cohorts, and did not include positive tests without symptoms, or negative tests with symptoms.

[/QUOTE]

Correct, that's how all trials tested for efficacy. If you had no symptoms but somehow managed to get a test that came back positive you were not included in the primary efficacy analysis. If you had symptoms but tested negative you were not included in the efficacy analysis as your symptoms could be caused by a myriad of other things.

All participants who declared symptoms were PCR tested regardless of their vaccination status as the observers and participants were blind to this fact (the double blind part). Because of that the trials were able to establish the efficacy as per the primary endpoint.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not vaccines but potential treatments - Artesunate is a treatment for severe malaria; imatinib a drug used for certain cancers and infliximab a treatment for immune system disorders such as Crohn's and rheumatoid arthritis. Results expected next month.

She hates vaccines.

A lengthy prison sentence needed there.

If that shower is in charge I wouldnt have much faith in them.

Everyone likes a fall guy but these lads have been next to useless from the start.

When this has been brought under control, they will be reformed/expunged.

"Correct, that's how all trials tested for efficacy. If you had no symptoms but somehow managed to get a test that came back positive you were not included in the primary efficacy analysis. If you had symptoms but tested negative you were not included in the efficacy analysis as your symptoms could be caused by a myriad of other things."

So as crazy as that seems to me, this means also that an assessment for primary efficacy in a phase 3 trial (in this case a PCR test), which is derived from the primary objective of the trial (in this case to show that a vaccine works better than placebo), may never be performed even once on people who have undergone the treatment? I mean by logical implication the assessment is "performed" on everybody that doesn't report symptoms, but this seems absurd and ridiculous, especially given that we're seeing the effect of such a design, and especially if it's this is the norm for all trials as you say.

• Advertisement

Well, I'll wait to see those results next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭techdiver

If anyone she "vaccinated" developed covid and died she should be charged with a more serious crime. I'm not sure where the legal road intersects as it's not "murder" by definition but something close.

Reasonable chance that happened given mortality rate for unvaccinated.

I did antibody spike protein test to be sure mine "worked".

Positive.

Have no idea what it means and dont really want to.

Got a vaccine and got an immune response.

Done.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Portal has now opened for the 12-15 group. Delly Jr signed up and ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Flu is not very infectious, in part because you only become infectious after you feel crap and at that stage you are in bed, Delta is 4 or 5 times as infectious as flu. As we have seen flu can be wiped out by public health measures. The vaccines reduce mortality and only people over 75 have a substantial mortality if they have a vaccine, and another booster might reduce this.

The problem is that Delta is infectious, and it can generate a lot of cases even with some care and measures in place. If you have Covid infection all over the place then it will reach the care homes etc and so have a significant rate of mortality. It isn't easy, the only obvious plan is to vaccinate as many as possible and reduce transmission that way.

https://slate.com/technology/2021/08/delta-variant-covid-masks-vaccines-boosters.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭markc91

Anyone get first Pfizer on 26th July and not heard anything about 2nd yet? Hoping to get away for 20th bday end of August so thought I might have got an appointment by now

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭mosii

Any info on how many children 15 to 18 are getting sick with covid in Ireland ,im a bit worried about getting my 15 year old jabbed, with info coming out of Israel about heart issues from vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I think what you meant here is that the IFR is much lower than 0.1%? But strictly speaking the CFR is 0.1%, just not very comparable with Covid-19

There's legal precedent in Germany involving a case where someone was HIV positive and didn't disclose it to sexual partners. Might not be treated as attempted murder in Ireland but i think it might be considered "culpable homicide" under German law. Not an expert here but I suspect the nurse is facing serious jail time.

• Advertisement

I know someone very well who got first dose on that date in Dublin, and they haven't heard anything about 2nd appointment yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Yes, I should have said IFR. The actual number if flu infections is only a guess. Mind you, the term flu is widely misused in ordinary speech, there isn't quite as much of it as conversation would imply.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

There was a story in the New York Times last week reporting that male teenagers are six times more likely to develop myocarditis following a Covid infection than they are following a vaccination.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I assume the poster knows this, as the post started with "Any info on how many children 15 to 18 are getting sick with covid in Ireland" - you have to multiply the carditis risk by the probability of infection (0.?) or vaccination (1).

The answer to that question is in the most recent 14 day epidemiology report:

https://www.hpsc.ie/a-z/respiratory/coronavirus/novelcoronavirus/surveillance/covid-1914-dayepidemiologyreports/COVID-19_Interim%2014%20day%20report%20INTERIM_20210810%20-%20Website.pdf

13-18 yrs: 3289 cases, 16.3% of cases.

Annoyingly that age group doesn't line up with the CSO population estimates, which has the closest age group 15-19 years having 323.9k population.

If we simply divide the cases and population into yearly age groups, we get about 550 cases per year group of 65k kids, and divide by 14 to give a daily probability of becoming a case of 0.0006 (1 in 1655). So assuming every kid got it only once, each kid would get it once every 4.5 years.

As you can see, with a carditis risk six times higher from covid, the vaccination decision on that basis only is quite finely balanced. This is probably why different countries are taking different decisions on providing/promoting adolescent vaccination, it's easy to come down on one side or other depending on guesses about of case loads over the next year. Interestingly though, some like Canada have proceeded with adolescent vaccination despite having a fairly low case load, and perhaps that has helped prepared them better than the US for Delta.

Still, nobody can really say what the infection rate is going to be over the next few months, as on the one hand our vaccination coverage in adults still isn't maximized, and on the other it's still summer, and we know that respiratory diseases generally spread much faster in winter. Last winter we had no vaccinations and no delta, so it's not really that useful a comparison.

Not to let ignorance get in the way of a prediction, I guess the probability of my kids getting it this winter as around 1, which is why I'm choosing to vaccinate them. Actually, carditis from covid isn't my only concern, I don't really like the organ damage aspect either. I'd rather send them into battle with some armour on, and perhaps (for my son) help him manage his activity levels around vaccination so reduce further the admittedly minuscule risks from carditis, which I can do better with vaccination than with covid since we are in control of the timing.

Another factor for me is that I'd rather the kids didn't kill their grandmother by passing on covid over Christmas, and whilst vaccination in no way guarantees that, at least we'll have taken reasonable steps to prevent it.

Happy for my maths to be checked, I'm often wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

How long are people waiting for their second Pfizer jab? I got my first on the 4th August. Going on holidays in September so hoping to have the second in time

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Andrew Pollard said that anyone who is unvaccinated will “meet” the Covid virus. It is only a matter of time.

https://www.ft.com/content/e73b150b-99f1-43d4-80b5-9aca10e58ff6

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

17-42 days is a valid dose. Most appear to be at the lower end of that scale at the moment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

Anyone having problems registering their 12-15 year old ? They instruct that you use the Parent's id to set up the HSE account but then when you try to register the child, you can't override the year of birth, my birth year is prefilled and i can't override it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Passed the 3m mark for full vaccination yesterday. That's 60% of the total population.

Doesn't seem to be any huge slowing down of the programme as yet. Maybe "down" to about 200k/week. Should hit 90% of the adult population with a first dose by the middle of next week, which implies 90% full vaccination by mid-September. Could be sooner though if they're only leaving a 3-week gap between doses.

If we assume the 12-15 age cohort is about 250k people, then we have around 700k people in total who are eligible and have not received a first dose. That includes anyone who has declined to get it. So at current rates we can get them all fully vaccinated in around 10 weeks. In reality I'd say the actual number of people left to get it is closer to 500k*, so you're talking ~ 8 weeks to achieve full vaccination of everyone who is eligible. That's assuming the deliveries from Romania don't speed up the programme further. We know we're capable of delivering 350k vaccinations per week if the supply is available.

**If we assume the number of anti-vaxxers is 5%, then that's about 200k people who will refuse to be vaccinated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Similar here. Got my 1st Pfizer on the 22nd of July and nothing yet. But I know at least 5/6 people who got it around the same time (2 days before/after) who've all gotten their second jab already or appointment for this week. Helpline to see if there's a delay or anything weird with my registration is no help at all.

Advertisement