Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,916 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

I agree with the posters suggestion, I think the top bar should be sticky (it is quite buggy at the moment and closes itself around 50% of the time I press my profile picture). Most mobile screens are big enough these days that a small persistent bar shouldn’t take up too much screen space.

If you did decide to make it sticky I think with the “x” to close being removed it’s be a good spot for an icon for My Forums beside Followed Threads (when My Forums comes back)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Thanks. That looks a bit better. I realise now that it is does show something if I switch to Promote. It opens on Everything by default and it's empty. So is Like.

Huawei P30, Android 10, Chrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

none of the top menu items are working for me on the touch site. Clicking the star no longer brings up my followed threads, the little man doesn’t bring me to my profile, the envelope doesn’t bring me to my PMs, the bell doesn’t do anything either…

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

A poster on Forum of Games has figured out that if you click 'All messages' at the bottom left of the error pop up you can see your PMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

Messages open fine on mobile. On desktop it just seems to be the preview panel that gives the error, if you selected all messages to go through to <https://www.boards.ie/messages/inbox> it opens up fine.

Edit:: Although saying that it does seem to be missing a good few. There's a gap between August 2020 and the 5th of July. I'd have definitely sent and gotten replies for Forum Game Games during then.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,164 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

OMG the bold/unbold distinction has been unleashed!!

Hallelujah!!!

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Hi all, another update is just gone live there now - unread threads are now bolded and read threads are unbolded to help you differentiate between what you have or haven't read in a forum or on the homepage. I am told that credit is due to @fritzelly for posting info on this fix, so thank you fritzelly! 😍

On a slightly related note, if you click on 'Mark All Viewed' on the menu on mobile, it takes this job very seriously and marks the whole site as read (and unbolded) so be careful with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Zymurgist

this is an example of the behavior I am seeing with the top menu.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The bold/unbold distinction makes such a difference! Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭shanec1928

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The recognition I've been looking for all my life 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭archfi

I have to admit i wasn't too concerned about bold/unbold as I like the new label (on leftside not the current position) but my God it makes a huge difference for user experience.

As for navbar on mobile, how about making it visible when not at top of page but only when you touch the screen - it takes up a lot of space being permanently visible esp. for those that have small screen devices, not me btw

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

The bold/unbold has absolutely transformed use of the site - thank you, finally!!!

But..... how can it have taken, what, 4 weeks?

And.... how come it seems to be down to a random poster posting a fix, for it to be implemented???

(those two might possibly be related?!)

Now, my last wish would be to have it applied to the "My Threads" tab on the home page, so I don't have to go through that stupid avatar/mybookmarks dance every time, and I will finally be happy!!

Now, my last wish would be to have it applied to the "My Threads" tab on the home page, so I don't have to go through that stupid avatar/mybookmarks dance every time, and I will finally be happy!!

Unfortunately there is no identifiable marker on that page to know what is read or unread - it's something that needs to be done with the core code and well we know how long that takes to get done

OK, I don't really understand that, but thanks for the explanation anyway!

I'm happy that the mobile/touch site is 100% more usable now with the bold/unbold applied - and if that's my only gripe about the desktop site, well, I can live with that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I just randomly posted a question about the bold/unbold this morning and it's been fixed within a few hours. I am willing to take all credit for this happening 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 10,606 ✭✭✭✭28064212

FYI, I have a script package that (among other things) un-bolds read threads on the homepage: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058202721/boardsie-enhancement-suite

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

I have been banging on about it since the very start, so you'll have to share the credit 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Odhran
    Boards.ie Employee

Hey @HeidiHeidi - its not that fixes like this take weeks... it's all of the other things (of which there are many) that we have to do that gets in the way. Today was the first chance we got to look at non critical issues for a while... so its very refreshing for everyone involved I think to be pushing community facing updates. More to follow :)

We are also more than happy to take any other css fixes that you guys have which we can implement... (we might not be able to do all). @28064212 we will check it out thanks.

@Zymurgist will check out that behaviour. I have seen something similar but its hard for me to replicate. Will look into it more...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Azatadine

This update jas been a great one 😃

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

The mobile site is still a disaster for me to use. Apart from bold/unbold don’t see any notable differences whatsoever since the site went live a month ago. It’s still a chronic pain in the hole to use. These updates are meaningless to me when I can’t see any actual improvement on the user end. I don’t see why people are cacking their pants with happiness that something they requested a month ago is finally implemented. A lot more should have been done by this stage. It’s seriously lagging.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I pressed the button immediately after the preceding post, and I'm glad I did it too! Sorted out all that '+3.5k new posts' shite.

Seperately, was just thinking it interesting, the many ways people used to use boards... 'I go through categories/ my forums/ my threads/ new threads/ most thanked' etc., 'I use standard/ dark/ custom theme', and 'only mobile/ desktop/ app' etc. etc.

[for me, I have 'My bookmarks' bookmarked on my android browser, and just click on that as a subsitute for the old 'my threads'. I have no idea how to find 'new threads'... 'Recent discussions' appears to be a dead link.]

Just goes to show the versatility and flexibility of the old Boards. The challenge then is to recreate that, and while the migration has undoubtedly been a disaster, I'm glad to see improvements are finally being made.

Still a long way to go though. I just hope Boards leadership is fully committed to keeping at it until the old Boards is recreated as closely as it possibly can be on 'vanilla'. There are certain functionalities, features and quirks we simply cannot do without, and which give Boards its character.

e.g. I'd hate to see 'thanks' stay as 'likes', and to not have the 'thankers' displayed (yes, even on mobile) and lets please remove the Facebook and Twitter links. Absolutely no one is going to be tweeting or facebooking stuff from Boards.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Good job 👏

And fair play to Boards for taking that and implementing it, it does make a big difference.

The top bar pop up menu on mobile has gone from only working when in a thread to not working at all now. Press that star and nothing happens 🙄

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Odhran
    Boards.ie Employee

Can replicate this now. Seems to be all functions. Will look at a fix first thing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Oh my god I’d been off it for ages and now I can’t work it at all. However can anyone direct me to a post on how to use search on the mobile/touch version? The results can be a too result from 2008 and no button to change it to most recent….on ios

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement