Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightline/Parcel Motel Thread Part 2 (post all related questions here)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

VG31 wrote: »
    This isn't unexpected - Parcel Motels are now UPS Access Points.

Screenshot-2021-05-04-183326.png

I cant find any mention of this on either the UPS or PM site. Did they stop it already?

Have a ups package to send, it would be very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭VG31

Tzardine wrote: »
    I cant find any mention of this on either the UPS or PM site. Did they stop it already?

Have a ups package to send, it would be very handy.

It's still on the UPS home page for me. This is the link it takes you to: https://my.parcelmotel.com/drop-locations

I find the collections very handy so I probably won't use it but it's ideal if you're not at home during the week.

Thanks for the link. It says my package is not suitable for PM sending. Cant imagine why.

Its a shame, would have been handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

Is there any news on when the parcel motel in the north is going to reopen ?

Big Gerry wrote: »
    Is there any news on when the parcel motel in the north is going to reopen ?

It is most likely that it will not be coming back.

• Advertisement

Tzardine wrote: »
    It is most likely that it will not be coming back.

I was assuming it would come back but they may add in extra charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I don't see it coming back at all... EVER!

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭harmless

What do you think will change that will make it viable again?
    Why ship to NI over shipping direct to Ireland if the same charges would have to be applied and shipping to NI just adds extra cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,664 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

As long as UK is outside EU single market/customs union, both PM and PW will remain closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tDw6u1bj

I don't see why it's impossible?

Presumably it would be possible for them to charge duty/vat - don't they(/shouldn't they/can't they) do that now on items delivered from outside the EU that haven't had duty paid before hand?

There should still be some demand - there's still need for a service for receiving things that don't deliver to ireland. Would there be enough is the only question.

• Advertisement

harmless wrote: »
    What do you think will change that will make it viable again?
    Why ship to NI over shipping direct to Ireland if the same charges would have to be applied and shipping to NI just adds extra cost.

Postage is a lot cheaper (or even free in some cases) for stuff from Britain to be sent to NI that alone makes it worth keeping open.

If you buy stuff from ebay UK postage costs are way more expensive for orders to the Republic than to the NI.

They still have to charge and collect Irish vat on top of the UK vat you would have already paid.

So it would be item price inc uk vat.
    PM stay fee
    Plus Irish vat on top.

It didnt matter when Uk was still EU because once vat was paid in one member state it was all gravy.

Annoying but another victim of brexit.

Almost everything I buy online comes from the UK it would still work out cheaper for me if I could get the NI postage.

I was just looking at an item an ebay UK for 20 pound that costs 4 pound to ship within the UK but costs 14 pound to ship to Ireland.

I thought the whole point of parcel motel was to save on postage for stuff shipped from the UK.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Its too much hassle for them to collect VAT. Add in people refuse shipments because there are charges to collect like customs clearance and you can see why they shut it down. We all know why PM was there, but the market has changed.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Its too much hassle for them to collect VAT. Add in people refuse shipments because there are charges to collect like customs clearance and you can see why they shut it down. We all know why PM was there, but the market has changed.

The difference is that they already have all the customer info., are already charging them for something, and already have the infrastructure in place for doing that.

It would be exactly the same service but with an extra line item on the bill.

tDw6u1bj wrote: »
    The difference is that they already have all the customer info., are already charging them for something, and already have the infrastructure in place for doing that.

It would be exactly the same service but with an extra line item on the bill.

Exactly the same service? Hardly!

They would have to have a fully-fledged customs clearance operation internally to deal with the plethora of low- value items being shipped across the Irish Sea to Belfast, at significant additional cost to run that service. So, at say €20 extra on top of the shipping fee per package, ppl wouldn't use such a service. If it was cost-effective, I'm sure they would have re-started it!

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    They would have to have a fully-fledged customs clearance operation internall

They already do, nightline already have to do this for any item coming from outside the EU. A parcel motel version of this would be much easier because they already have all the account and billing info and infrastructure and can charge when they receive the item instead of bringing it to the door and hoping for the best.

You're suggesting that this is some kind of unique and challenging situation, rather than bread-and-butter stuff for couriers and postal services all over the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Why don't you ring them up and show them the error of their ways so. I'm sure they'll be most interested.

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Why don't you ring them up and show them the error of their ways so. I'm sure they'll be most interested.

And explain to them how their existing customs clearance service, which depends on parcels coming from outside the EU having a complete Customs Declaration done by the sender, can be shoehorned into an operation where, by definition, not a single item will have such a declaration! So, the N.I. parcel depot would have to CREATE such a declaration for EVERY incoming parcel, act as a Customs clearance service, communicate with EVERY recipient to establish value, etc.etc.. And, no! I'm pretty sure that the former PM service in Newtownabbey does NOT have such a system in place currently.

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    And explain to them how their existing customs clearance service, which depends on parcels coming from outside the EU having a complete Customs Declaration done by the sender, can be shoehorned into an operation where, by definition, not a single item will have such a declaration! So, the N.I. parcel depot would have to CREATE such a declaration for EVERY incoming parcel, act as a Customs clearance service, communicate with EVERY recipient to establish value, etc.etc.. And, no! I'm pretty sure that the former PM service in Newtownabbey does NOT have such a system in place currently.

How come when I buy stuff from Amazon UK post Brexit I don't have to deal with Customs ?

How come when I buy stuff from Amazon UK post Brexit I don't have to deal with Customs ?

That's different, in fairness. They do all the paper-work at the very beginning so it's all sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭corkie

Have a look at your invoice for your items if delivered direct?

You have more than likely paid 'Import Fees Deposit' which covers VAT etc.

Amazon does all that for you. They remove any UK VAT included in the price, and then add appropriate Customs Duty & VAT on items greater than €22 in value on behalf of Irish Revenue. From July, the €22 value threshold will go and VAT/Duty will be applied by Amazon on full value.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 SamShadow

Anyone having problems logging into Parcel Motel today? When I'm logging in that present thing is bobbing up and down for ages and then it says wrong username and password and even if I try and reset my password it does nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 SamShadow

I can login today so that's fixed but when I try and send a parcel it's giving me an insufficient funds message even though I just successfully added a credit card to my account. I've emailed support so I'll see how long it takes for a reply...

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Are they ever going to offer their UK address again? It's 8 months after Brexit and only Anpost offering the UK service now. At an extortionist price of €6.99 for the smallest parcel, and it still takes them close to a week to deliver. They can ask what they want because there is no alternative. At least with Parcel Motel there is some competition, and they were a lot faster as well.

Post edited by whiterebel on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

If they did, they would have to hike the prices substantially and would also have delays as every package would need to be inspected, customs entry and then taxes collected.

That's Brexit for you

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Jambonjunior

I had a level arrive to the depot on Friday morning and still no sign of it getting to my local parcel motel. Normally it's same day. Is anyone else experiencing a delay? Just worried I'll have to wait until Monday evening now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

Sorry for asking and not reading back but friend of mine sent package from ebay to Parcel Motel in NI - somebody collected the parcel and what now - she can't reach them over the phone?

Anyone else was in the same situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭mrmeindl

folks does anyone know what "Other Delivery Agent" means on a package status? does it mean the box is oversized so it's to be delivered to me in person?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I have never used it but bought something that gave an option of free delivery with parcel motel.

Post edited by whiterebel on

Advertisement