Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Recommendation Thread - Anyone for seconds?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭notAMember

There were several hundred (maybe even over 1000?) responses on that FB post before he deleted it, with many people chiming in about the vouchers not honoured, the stories of him losing his temper, and treating locals badly. I think everyone was giving the benefit of the doubt before, thinking it was one-offs maybe, with a few local people sharing their stories privately, but now it’s just general knowledge.

It was a lovely local spot when the late Martin ran it years ago. Maybe it can come right again some day.

Another option for employment nearby is Mahon point. 15 mins on a bike, perfectly manageable, bike lane. 13 places there all hiring today. Close well before 11pm, safety no issue and the customers are never drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Pretty much except for match days and then no doubt it will be busy again. Normal crowd for food are Ballinlough, Temple Hill, Mahon, Blackrock and Douglas. Likewise employment is (was) local.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭suds1984

Just a few minutes from the silver key. Went for outdoor drinks a few weeks ago - I would says COVID compliance is a bit lax. Staff not wearing masks properly, having to go inside to order drinks (I though it was table service only these days?) and plenty of mixing between tables outside. If they was a case of COVID present I could see it spreading between the staff so easily….. maybe other places are like that as I haven’t been out much. Place is much quieter this evening as I went to collect takeout…. But little effect to space out tables inside. Plenty of empty tables but then others sitting bunched up together. I feel sorry for the staff that have been left without work because of the consequences of one video.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Tables inside can't really be moved, but they had no customers today. I'd say 12 tables that I saw between 3pm and 4.30pm, normally busy

One group drinking for the match in front of the main tv inside.

Never had the takeaway, what was it like, what did you have

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭sporina

I hear you on all your points.. and accept your apology.. might be time to mix things up a bit.. nothing in life remains the same.. I myself would not darken his door.. we have all said silly things while drunk - but wishing Covid was around for another 10 yrs or whatever is a different ball game - like I said, truth comes out when drunk - and the fact that your wife's biz is in trouble cos of Covid shud bring it home to you even more (sorry to hear that though).. did you watch the video? He was having a jolly old time - no conscience.. your money and loyalty would be better elsewhere.. your not in the sticks - eg: loads of pubs/restaurants on the Blackrock Rd.. what age is your daughter? teach her to be streetwise.. that in itself is invaluable - and as the above poster said, it's obv locals boycotting - 2 of my mates live on the Skehard rd and have been there a few times but now say they will never ever go back..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Really, the staff being the victims argument could be used in absolutely any case where a company is boycotted or otherwise shut down for unacceptable behavior. The application of that argument would lead to no companies being punished for their behavior, ever.

I really do feel for any staff who are affected - they have done nothing wrong - but there is always collateral damage. It's unfortunate but that's life.

I mean look at the blind loyalty that the Quinn family had in their locality - because they provided jobs. It didn't seem to matter how much the Quinns gambled with these jobs, how much questionable financial activity they engaged in, how much the tax payer had to fork out to fix the mess, how much money they hid or even how many criminal cases were brought against them. As long as they provided jobs, they were good people, it seemed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

very similar to a certain american property developer in west clare

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭112143

God that video is awful, I'm delighted the boycott is working.

Had myself a roll from Cameron Bakery yesterday, absolutely delicious.

I'd really recommend the place if you haven't been.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I really keep meaning to go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

Anyone know why Perry street isn't reopen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Had lunch in Amicus the other day. I hadn't eaten there in a couple of years but was impressed. The open sandwiches are huge and really tasty, I got one on soda bread with chips and couldn't finish it, it would be a decent dinner! Service was slow but like everywhere, it looks like they have a lot of new staff at the moment.

Also had dinner in Market Lane (not on the same day!) Reliably excellent, we only had a 2 hours slot at the table and were held to it but they said that when I booked which was fair enough. Service here was quick and friendly, and food was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Had lunch in Koto over the weekend and it was delicious. I had the Hoisin Duck and husband had the Chicken Noodle soup and really enjoyed both. They did all the Covid checks when we went in as well.

Cameron is a gem, delighted they are opening a second shop on the east side of town, as it’s nearer me! That unit has been the kiss of death for loads of places , but hopefully Cameron sticks!

I see they are hiring front of house staff too, mentioning staff discount on the food. Very tempting!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I'm surprised the place is mentioned more often here. It truly is excellent.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

And Priory is opening a spot on McCurtain Street. They do really nice coffee and food.

Most recently? Nectar coffee it was called I think 🤔 Open to bring corrected though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

No, Nectar is still there, at the corner of Maylor Street and Parnell Place. I think it was the shop that sold model trains. Nectar is nice actually, good sandwiches. I wonder will they survive with Cameron so close.

• Advertisement

ekk oh I hope they do - nice people and good coffee/confectionary

• Registered Users Posts: 19 trackrunner

Model shop is still there too. It's going into the unit next to this, was a phone unlocking/repair shop previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

Just wondering what the Four Liars Syrian restaurant is like? Keen to try it

It divides people.

Personally, while I'd love to like it, I find it rather bland and dull.

Others love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

Any recommendations for takeaway for a children party of 15? Need chips, so dominoes is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭yogalady

Went to Four Liars this evening. Really enjoyed meal. Casual place and great Syrian food and really good choice. Would definitely return

Had another fantastic evening in Paradisso last night.

I really love the small plates format. I'd highly recommend trying it while this version of Paradisso is here.

Amazing wine list, too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

Staying in Shandon next week .. recommendations? Four Liars and Nalas look great. any other places with good vegetarian options? TIA

Advertisement