Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't some cyclists use cycle lanes?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I'm old enough to remember the retro fit replacement of the hedges with the wire/ concrete/ barriers on the middle of our motorways and dual carriageways!

Just on the ceding priority, it's particularly annoying as the same local authority can move the stop/ yield to before the cycle lane in some spots, but not others. Even on the same road! DLR have done it on most of the N11 iirc, yet other routes are a complete clusterf*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

I do a commute from Dundrum to Tallaght every day. I keep getting punctures at the M50/N81 over pass. Got 3 last week, so bought a new tire. Got another one this morning. So frustrating, there's fresh glass there every morning.

The stretch between Templeogue Village and the beginning of the duel carriageway is too narrow for the cycle lane and bike lane. If I'm in the cycle lane leaving the village and there's cars coming towards me, there isn't enough room for cars behind me to get past, so I've had many an angry driver try and squeeze past me. In the other direction going towards the village, I'm in a race to get ahead of the traffic before the road narrows, so I can take a position in the cycle lane where cars can't squeeze past me, but they still try.

I could go on about the rest of my commute, but most of the problems have already been covered in the thread.

I'd love to have safe cycle lanes to use, but we just don't have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

The answer to your question is have a look at the Sutton/Clontarf cycle lane.

You yourself have used the description "great cycle lane"......you said "despite there being a great cycle lane beside them" or words to that effect.

IMHO, if you take northside and city centre there is pretty much just one good (great?) cycle lane, and thats the one on the coastline in Sutton/ Clontarf.

If you go out there you will not see any cyclists on the road, or maybe you will see 1 in 500. Pretty much all the cyclists there use your bike lane.

So in short, for me your premise that cyclists use the road despite there being a great bike lane beside them doesnt stand up at all.

There are of course many many mediocre bike lanes, and yes cyclists frequently prefer to use the road. Frequently the reason for this is that - even where there are wands - road works often take place at the edge of the road and bike lane surfaces can be really bad.

thats actually a very good point, it does look good from a distance quite a lot of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

There are a lot of people in the Clontarf area who actually think more cyclists should be using the road, and not the Sutton/Clontarf cycle lane.

They also want a 15 km/hr limit put on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Low Energy Eng

Hi mate, yes I was cycling lucan to rathfarnum

Used to get punctures around the n81 back towards lucan

Very frustrating

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It does tend to be a bit of a playground at certain times of the day so guys doing 30+ km per hour can easily intimidate the Dublin bikes stripper or the Dad cycling with his toddlers. It is generally fine early morning though.

I wouldn't be a regular cyclist but the odd time I do cycle to work the only bit of cycling infrastructure I actively avoid is the hill at the east wall. Cycle lane is usually blocked by a delivery van the times I am there and also it is dangerous enough exiting it at the top of the lights aren't red.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

I was on Parnell road along by grand canal earlier today at the junction to turn left into Harolds cross. At the top of the queue there was a car queuing as normal. However a little van that wanted to turn left had squeezed into the cycle Lane and was queueing adjacent to the car going straight on

why do non cycles use cycle lanes? is it a case that they use ours so we will use theirs

enough said

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

I've been in Limerick a couple of times recently, and the cycle lane on the Plassey Park Rd (parallel to the Dublin Rd between Groody roundabout and Annacotty roundabout, past the entrances to UL) seem to be fairly good.

They're not protected, but they are relatively wide (wide enough to park a car on, I saw today) and the traffic lanes beside them are wide too, so cars don't need to encroach on them, and the look relatively clean, apart from one spot where there's some leaf fall. Priority is not ceded at junctions either. I'd use it if I still lived there.

It's only 3km long, though.

I haven't cycled in Limerick city in a good few years, but when I did (commuting in and out to work) the traffic lanes themselves were always awkward and difficult, with lanes appearing and disappearing, so I tended to ignore whatever bits and pieces of cycle lanes there were. Don't know if it's much improved since (although the partial pedestrianisation seems to be going well)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I'm generally in the cycle lane if there is one. Reasons for not being in one include.

1) Cycle lane poor surface, or glass, stones in it.

2) Can't turn right, or get into proper lane for turning from cycle lane.

3) Different lanes are going different ways. For example below. So you need to get inline with the traffic. https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3467675,-6.2897875,3a,75y,294.59h,71.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s4OuT79HMEBgiDY5wRPAF7A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

4) Roundabouts and junctions the same. Often need to be inline with traffic, and pretend you are a car. Cars understand that better, and leave more space. So its safer.

5) You need to block cars behind from overtaking dangerous, or cutting across you. Which is the same as (4) above, just it another part of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sasal

Drove past it on Saturday, it's ridiculus. They could have at least brought it up to the National school rather than stop about a km from the village.

I'm not allowed post links anymore for some reason but if you search for Cosain Climate on twitter they have photos.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Could have been me, I cycled it that week and was taking a right at the next roundabout. Staying on the lane means you end up turning down a side lane into an estate that brings you to the Beacon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Its not acceptable and no one here condones it unless there is a genuine risk to life. I think people don't believe it because it is so uncommon, I see more motorists on footpaths than cyclists. It does happen but its typically either a parent with a child at walking pace or a BSO stumbling along at walking pace, and even then, it is rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

I don't know what a "BSO" is. I work in Dublin 2 and I see it almost daily, both on my commute and at lunchtime. It's not kids. It's not adults with kids. (I have absolutely no problem with kids cycling on a footpath, even when accompanied by adults). It's commuters, it's couriers, and it's very often fast-food delivery cyclists. This is from George's Street up to Baggot Street, Leeson St, Stephen's Green, Pembroke Street, Merrion Row, and that general area. Up on the footpath, wrong way down one-way streets, straight through red lights even when pedestrians are crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I use cycle lanes where available. Used the one on Alfie Byrne Road I'm Clontarf this evening. A child ran I'm front of me completely out of the blue. We collided, I went over my handlebars, my bike is wrecked, I'm injured, and the child's mother refused to acknowledge any responsibility so now I'm stuck with a repair bill and possibly medical bills.

So cycle lanes aren't any sort of utopia for cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Those children should all have registrations and insurance, don't you know!

Sorry, couldn't resist - hope you are doing OK.

Haha. Cheers man. Will be sore in the morning. Not looking forward to the call from the lads in 360 with the quote to repair the damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,027 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Yes thankfully. She walked away in much better shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

BSO - Bike Shaped Object. Very cheap, essentially disposable bike. Think argos.

Again, I'm not going to condone cycling on the footpath, but it does kinda bug me that behaviour of couriers, delivery guys is thrown at all "cyclists". Other motorists are quite happy to differentiate themselves from "white van man"/ "BMW"/ "Audi" drivers quite happily, but will aim any issue at all "cyclists".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

It is amazing how multi talented cyclists are. Individual cyclists are apparently able to cycle on footpaths, break lights, wear lycra, cycle too fast in cycle lanes while also cycling in the middle of the road all the while not wearing a helmet or paying road tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

And hold up traffic while coming out of nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Why don't some cyclists use cycle lanes?

Why don't some cars just stick to the roads?

Why don't some pedestrians use footpaths?

There is no universal answer to any of these questions. There is a subset of people in every facet of life who just cannot conform to rules. Some who enjoy breaking rules. Some who enjoy aggravating people they deem to be in opposition to them.

Then, there are also valid reasons why some people use break rules. Why some cyclists don't use cycle lanes. Why some cyclists use the footpath. Why some cars use the bus lane/ the cycle lane/ the footpath. Why some people break lights. Why some pedestrians use the cycle path/ walk on the road/ refuse to cross at pedestrian crossings.

I suspect most times this issue is raised there is no real desire to understand the issues, really it's just an excuse to have a rant at cyclists/ motorists/ pedestrians.

Most of the reasons why some cyclists, sometimes, don't use a cycle lane are outlined in previous posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭markw7

Some people are just dick-heads, most are ok. It's really that simple imho.

I think what they are doing with motorists is saying 'motorists' that arent me.

As they arent cyclists in the first place, they dont need to this when discussing cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I agree with the thrust of your post, but just to be clear, there is no rule that cyclists have to use cycle lanes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,397 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just to be ultra pedantic, there is, if the cycle lane is contra flow or in a pedestrianised area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭Paddigol

That's not the issue though. Its just tiresome - every single discussion goes down the same path and ends up with people doubling down on their own positions. Which was the real thrust of my post - pretty much pointless (a) starting a thread like this and (b) engaging with questions like the OP's. By all means have a civilised in-person discussion over a coffee/ drink, but it's virtually impossible to do the same thing on an internet forum. You end up within 3 or 4 posts finding yourself having a debate about when is use of a cycle lane mandatory, when is a vehicle allowed to park on double yellow lines etc. etc. etc.

A tiny bit of common sense and logic, and everyone can figure out the answers to the questions in my previous post.

A tiny bit of civility and awareness and all road users get along.

Alas, human nature rails against both of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,706 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Something you see quite a lot sadly. Some cycle lanes yield for every driveway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Has anyone ever seen some genuine/legitimate reason from our designers for these kind of designs?

Advertisement