Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat 2021/22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

I'm taking the gamble on Armstrong while I have enough in the bank for a likely Lukaku upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,247 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Are Liverpool fans confident of Tsimikas starting the first few games?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Any sign of Brandon Williams at United going on loan to someone - think there was talk of Southampton?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Yeah I can definitely see the logic of a GW1 bench boost, get it out of the way at an opportune time. Im considering it myself but need to look at the GW2,3,4 fixtures of those I would have on the bench for BB in GW1.

One lesson learnt from last season though is not to get too hung up on it as a chip at all. iirc 16 points is considered a good total for BB but so long as you have all 4 subs playing even if they blanked you get 8. So in the grander scheme of things it is not that valuable a chip, if your rival in a ML got 16 and you got 8 you could easily make that up elsewhere. There is no way it is worth doing several free transfers for weeks preparing for it.

Would you just be targeting the BB side ?

so you’d be forced to play Amartey and Tsimikas home and away to wolves and Norwich. Who else would you target with your BB players ?

would you be buying first teamers you would have bought anyway or would you be now buying first teamers with the BB mindset ?

is there another cheap Gk with a good fixture and how about the first sub midfielder ?

edit - all the things I’m thinking of too. I would also have to upgrade Tsimikas and Amartey within 3-5 GW’s so that would be planning away FT’s just like later in the season if targeting a DGW

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

Absolutely nailed on until Robbo fit but that might only be 2-3 games

why would he be nailed, when Milner could easily slot in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,635 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Milner is needed in midfield.

Thiago & Henderson not fully match fit yet after coming back later after the Euros / injuries. Jones is out injured with concussion at minute. So that leaves Fabinho, Keita & Ox in midfield, along with Milner. I think Klopp is reluctant to play Fabinho, Keita & Ox as a 3 after how the games went last season so will start Milner alongside Fabinho & Keita.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

think tmiskas is a no brainer for me at 4m anyway as i had planned using a 4m defender for budget anyway.

DCL is listed as a potential injury doubt, any everton fans know of his chances.

This will be my first year in a while not having Kane from GW1, wish lukaku was here already as he will pron start at 11m n rise so be good to have him from the get go

I think if I use BB in GW1 then Id look for players who are all cheap so it doesnt mess around with the main 11. But as you say you would have to trade your way out of those cheap players so maybe its not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭qwabercd

The same would also apply for later in the season when you'd likely be wilcarding towards BB.

Yeah and thats what Im trying to weigh up. If I used BB later in the season it would likely be a WC the week before going into a DGW. The players on the bench having two games is attractive but also the downside could be that not all teams double and it could be followed soon after by a blank GW for some teams.

BB is a funny chip, its probably the chip that is worth the least in points but it seems to take more planning and consideration than WCs or FHs.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,166 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Ultimately if you're tinkering with the side that you'd otherwise suggest, to play the BB, then you're not really gaining a real benefit from when you'd end up tinkering with your side later to set up the BB.

If the team you'd be selecting anyway, is a great candidate for a BB, that is a different story, but I think sometimes in such scenarios we might have a tendency to convince ourselves we'd include players anyway, that maybe we wouldn't really have.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

True, but I think it's viable to for the GW1 BB to spread budget around a little on purpose.

Especially those of us who will inevitably wildcard in the first 3 to 7 weeks.

Can also cover a few of the many attractive mid price options and hop off the one that flops to an emerging cheap gem.

Happy to take a hit or two to reshape if required as a BB plan that's not straight after WC rarely doesn't involve hits.

Yeah. It’s a tough one. I’d have every intention of using it this GW but the lack of good fixtures for the bench players is a concern.

im off it at the moment but once I reread last years notes I’ll probably go for it. If for nothing else then just piece of mind as I hate the preparation that’s needed, for BB, later in the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,653 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Hi folks,

First of all best of luck to all of you at the beginning of yet another FF Season which is sure to bring feelings of utter joy and despair to us all!…and often in the same GW!

Mad busy at work so haven’t had chance to look at team building at all yet and will probably only get to it around lunchtime on Friday for a couple of hours……with that in mind would really appreciate answers to these few questions to help in picking team in limited timeframe…..would probably be using WC after GW 4 or 5…..and might BB in GW1 as it seems to be popular from glancing at forum.

1. Any good rotation recommendations for cheap defenders or clubs?
    2. Who is best 4.5m midfielder from promoted sides?
    3. What strikers have been in good form in pre Season?……I see Ings and Antonio mentioned in lot of teams…..are they going well?

Apologies for lengthy post but really appreciate anyone’s thoughts as time will be at a premium for me to pick Squad in next few days.

Am thinking of Sanchez for main GK

TAA and Shaw as premium defenders

Salah and Bruno as main midfielders

Ings and Antonio to start up top.

May well BB in GW 1.

Cheers for any feedback at all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Not a recommendation but these are the rotating pairs for the season.

Rotating teams:

Utd/City

Pool/Everton

Arsenal/Spurs

Chelsea/Villa

Watford/Brighton

Hammers/Leicester

Burnley/Saints

Norwich/Leeds

Brentford/Wolves

Palace/Newcastle

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah looking at it myself, easy to setup the team, I normally end up BB'ing early anyway. Probably even more likely this year with Lukaku and Kane possibly moving.

Currently on somethign like

Matinez Leno

TAA Tsimikas Shaw Digne Amartey

Brnes Havertz Salah ESR Greenwood

Ings Antonio Toney

There's always the risk one of them won't play, but last year I got far too hung up on keeping a solid 15 for the BB

• Advertisement

Yeah. That’s what Mark (possibly the only ‘pro’ I’d listen to) said on the latest Blackbox podcast.

he reckons there’s always 1-2 random non starters (who were expected to start) on the opening weekend.

it takes just 1 to be missing to ruin the BB chip.

Think it’s enough to put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭HenrysLeftHand

Harvey Barnes vs Gundogan????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭nullObjects

If Gundo is deployed the same way he was the last time KDB was out I'd pick Gundo but with Pep we don't know.

I'm gonna use that spot for Greenwood, hope to learn something from the Spurs game and then hopefully see if Gundo is playing defensively or he's allowed run riot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Team for the first game

Sanchez

James -- Shaw -- Targett -- Dias

--Salah --- Greenwood-- Son

-- Ihenacho-- Ings -- Antonio

Bench

Bachmann, Raphinha, Gilmour, Coufal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Strong squad but will give you selection headaches most weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Is there a doubt over Ihenacho starting?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Leicester presser at 13:30, may find out info then.

Seems to be a lack of love for Son in here? He's probably priced perfectly for what he gives and most guaranteed player in his price range in terms of minutes.

.....in terms of minutes AND likely overall points haul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Ye it is strong and it will drive me mad when I bench the wrong players every week but it gives nice flexibility.

Besides Gilmour I have 3 on the bench who I would happily play most weeks.

Advertisement