Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Travelling with drone on Aer Lingus, for use in Spain... rules to be aware of?

• 12-08-2021 12:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭

Drone is a Mavic Air 2, and I'll be taking it along with 2 spare batteries as carry on luggage as the "purse luggage".

Just wrap the batteries in plastic bags, or need specific type of wrapping? Anything else?

Will I need to be ready to offload the lot into a security bin when going through security (like you do for a laptop), or are they generally ok leaving it all together in the bag?

Regarding flying it in Spain, I assume it's the same rules as in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Don't fly it in business class, other than that you're grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The battery might be a problem... I’m reading that lithium-ion batteries are the power source for these. Aer Lingus info on restricted items :

https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-information/baggage-information/restricted-items/

id give their customer services a shout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,965 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

looks ok as long as the batteries are removed

"If the lithium battery/power bank can be removed, the Smart Luggage is permitted for carriage, subject to the following conditions;

1. The lithium battery must be removed and carried in the aircraft cabin with the terminals protected against short circuit."

I'll give them a shout though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

The main thing is that the battery is taken out of the the drone itself. I have 'battery safe bags' for each...

There are cheaper version on Amazon, etc. I've been to the states a few times with the drone (flew with Aer Lingus) and had no issues at all, no extra questions, etc.

And please, please check the DJI's flight map in the area you're travelling to as those are the restrictions that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Wait, those rules relate to smart luggage, which is a suitcase with built in electronics and batteries.

You can keep the battery in the drone if you wish, and put the spare batteries in a case or bag as theothernt suggested.

My mavic has a battery charger which holds three spare batteries. I'd just keep them in that.

• Advertisement

grand ... I grabbed one of these off Amazon DE now

Reviewer says it works fine with Air 2 batteries too

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

I took my Mavic Air 2 on quite a few flights from Dublin, including on Aer Lingus. I kept it in its normal bag with all the Fly More accessories, three batteries and the remote and did not take anything out. I did remove the bag from my carry on bag. It goes through the scanner with no issue.

No need for these protective bags.

In Europe the rules for flying are more or less the same. The main thing I encounter is that sometimes someone may object that you fly over their property. Just apologise, pick up the drone and go elsewhere.

Do not be a nuisance, use common sense and you will be fine.

Ah the protective bag will be handy to store the batteries in the main suitcase and leaves a space to store phone and passport etc in the Fly More bag :)

Might even get my Switch Lite in there... will need to check

Advertisement