Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship (Liam McCarthy Cup) 2021

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Would you consider going into management yourself.? Vacancy in Wexford ATM and possibly Tipp/Waterford fairly soon (depending on what Cahill/Sheedy decide) Maybe Galway too. A Paul Kinnerk role may suit you by the sounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Will tell what. You said they have no skill why do we need time to prove or disprove that ?

Its plain to see they have skill so we dont need time to tell

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

This is funny stuff.

I hope speakerboxx sticks around here after the AI final!

Facts are Facts - Limerick are currently best team in country.

I have no idea where corks bullishness has come from - arguably got handed the easiest route to an AI final ever, avoiding waterford, Tipp, galway.

Stumbled over a limited KK side and now face limerick who easily accounted for them earlier in the year.

Limerick are improving game on game and are working off a much higher base. Physically they will overpower cork and dominate from there in my opinion

• Advertisement

Don't think anyone (who's being serious) will be writing Cork off tbh. The short enough run in should control the hype too to some extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

True a lot of Banter here it's part of the Craic!

It's a final and Cork are extra motivated after being ran over earlier in the championship!

But Limerick are rightly strong favourites and "should" be too much for Cork on the day!

But one thing that has Zero relevance to any result is History get that talk out of here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mohawk

I don’t think it’s about number of titles won underage. Underage is a way of developing your future talent it’s not always about winning every match. Personally, I think Cork are playing to their strengths. They had a poor season by their standards last year and came back improved and are continuing to improve. Until the substitutions were made they were probably too reliant on Horgan. When the substitutions were made they ran riot. I just think Cork are a couple of players away from the complete package. It’s my own personal opinion based on watching the seniors playing and from conversations with people who are involved in the underage teams in Munster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

It won't... But it will stop Cork scoring anything like they did in the semifinal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

The only history that matters (and only a small bit) is very recent history where the two teams were pretty much made up of the same personnel i.e. in the last year or possibly two.

People talking about stats and how many times one team has beaten the other in a row doesn't matter either. If you toss a coin and it's a head, that result doesn't make it any more or less likely that the next toss will be a head.

History matters to fans but has no bearing (or certainly shouldn't have) on the teams because of their sports psychologists etc. The history of 40 years of tears and pain that was finally lifted in 2018 makes me happy to be a fan and hoping this run of form continues long into the future. Do I hope it will be an exciting, highly skillful final? I couldn't care less as long as Limerick have more on the scoreboard than Cork at the final whistle.

Will my feelings influence what happens on the pitch: don't think so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Any hurling people I talk to in Laois and Kilkenny and the conversation goes the same way.

'Shane Kingston wouldn't be let waltz through the Limerick defence like he did on Sunday. Hard to look beyond Limerick but I wouldn't be at all surprised if Cork won, when they get momentum you'd never write them off.'

That's been the take around here.

Tbf, most pre-match analysis is a fine mixture of hype and guff. I still remember reading the pundits on the morning of the 2013 semi-final v Clare and, iirc, 3 out of 4 in the paper went for Limerick... I'm still not fully over that first half but in retrospect a Clare win wasn't that surprising. They had a very successful underage side just hitting a run at the right time and that Limerick side was (to be kind) hot and cold.

I guarantee if Cork win the same pundits who are tipping Limerick will produce a series of plausible reasons for why Cork won (only a good side beats Kilkenny, Cork are a 'coming team', Limerick only played in fits and starts all year, very hard to do the double, etc, etc).

Imo, finals are hard to properly analyse because they are such unique events. There's a host of pressures on that don't normally apply and we can't account for them from this distance. One thing I would say is if Cork had taken their points v. Limerick earlier in the year it could easily have been a Cork win, for all the talk (guff?) about Limerick's superior fitness they were dead on their feet with 10 mins to go in that match. Cork won't miss as many in the final and Limerick can hardly have improved their fitness that much in such a short space of time so I think the match is pretty evenly balanced, maybe a slight expectation of a Cork win considering the momentum behind them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

History repeats. The only 3 who will always dominate at regular intervals are the big 3, with cyclical periods of others coming to the fore. But the big 3 will continue to be the big 3, Tipp to a slightly lesser extent to Cork and KK. Time will prove this, history already has, again and again.

Cork generally best KK at younger ages, but for the last 20 years Cody and internal problems put Cork on the back foot. Much to be said for a consistent top manager. But Cork produce the best hurlers generally, then KK and Tipp. Tbh, Tipp have struggled to do it consistently for 30 years now

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭TL17

Peter Casey won his appeal. Delighted for him

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

As a cork supporter that’s a good accurate reflection of where things lie going into Sunday week. Limerick certainly deserved favourites going on form over last 3/4 years. Cork will get a lot of confidence from beating Kilkenny and appear to be improving with every game. They won’t fear Limerick but obviously respect their strengths. Cork will need to take their goal chances if they arrive and if they do I think they have a very good chance.

You are kidding me. Limerick don't win too many All Irelands. 9 in their history. They will be beaten soon I think and Cork could be the team to do it. Finals are strange events. Kilkenny in 2010 were going for 5 in a row and they said no team could come close to them. See what Tipp did that day and everything backfired. Limerick are no Kilkenny and up to 2018 were seasonal chokers in Croke park and always found a way to lose in a final. Just saying.

We will see. You can't make greyhounds out of hypos. Don't matter about physicality if you haven't the speed to get to the ball before the opposition. I can see the Cork forwards destroying the Limerick backline to be honest with speed and matching Linerick for skill. Experience is lacking for Cork but I think they still believe they can do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

I can just hear John Kiely's pre-match talk now: "Right lads, we've only won 9 in our history so we probably won't win this one but sure go out and give it a go anyway..."

FFS, ancient history will have no bearing on the outcome of a single game. If Cork play really well, they can win. If Limerick play really well, they can win. In my opinion, it's more likely that Limerick will win based on what this current team can do, not on what their forefathers have or haven't won.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pajoguy

Hopefully the Peter Casey issue will be put to bed now. Good to see it dealt with quickly as it could distract both teams in fairness.

The tickets look like being a serious issue looking at this tweet

• Advertisement

Always great to see justice done

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Col. Blackbeard

Why did Casey go down clutching his helmet after the incident?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Yeah, great to see justice done. Terrible that deliberately headbutting someone is seen as a sending off offence these days. If you can't give a lad a quick headbutt when you get the urge, what can you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

It’s a nonsense he got off but these hearings are a joke at the best of times. Anyway into the final best 15 v best 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

Surely video evidence was just inconclusive?

If it was inconclusive then shouldn't the decision on the day stand? I admit that I don't know the rules for an appeal such as this - but in a sports appeal the burden is usually on the appellant to dislodge the original decision ( its not like a Court case where there can be an appeal de novo).

Anyway, as ML says, best 15 v best 15.

Yeah headbutting a player is always good practice. Good one.

Peter just needs to score the winner in the final now just to really give the whingers something to complain about to get them through the winter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭Iecrawfc

Good to see the Red card rescinded, from a Limerick POV and for Peter Casey himself, it would have been head wrecking for him in the build up having that over him. I think the team just have to take on board that they are going to be provoked, niggled etc and to answer on the scoreboard rather than getting into off the ball tussles that can end up being very damaging, for player and team. At least now the talk can be about the 2 teams rather than being side tracked into this issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 AllSquare

1. Limerick

2. Cork

3. Waterford

4. Clare

5. Tipp

6. Kilkenny

7. Dublin

8. Laois

9. Antrim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Enright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

I think the match is pretty evenly balanced, maybe a slight expectation of a Cork win considering the momentum behind them.

You are getting serious value off the bookies if you are a betting man so.

I'm not though if I were rational I would bet on Cork, at least that way it would be some sort of win-win for me. Anyhow, it would be an interesting study to track the pundits and the betting v the outcomes of these matches over the last decade. My impression is the pundits are often wrong, wonder if the betting is the same?

(Apologies mods, may have hit flag when I meant to hit quote above btw)

What happens if Cork win? Will you be here afterwards? Probably not.

• Advertisement

Easiest route to final? You are a funny man and having a laugh. I didn't see Limerick beating Kilkenny anytime in the 2010s eventhough with their so called unbeatable team. Also Dublin beat Galway so if Galway were good enough they would have met us. Clare also beat Waterford in munster and we beat Clare so what you are saying makes no sense. Cork can only beat who is in front of them on route to the final.

I love statements like this. They never have any basis in reality

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

I'm not happy to see it rescinded. I felt sorry for him missing the final. I'm sure it was a rush of blood to the head, he didn't injure anyone and wasn't really trying to. But that said, he did it and got caught. If you stick your head into someone like that you run the risk of being caught and if you're caught you run the risk of being sent off and suspended. Any word on why it is it being rescinded? I'm guessing because people "applied common sense" and decided to ignore the rule. If the rule is a problem then the rule needs to be dealt with. You can't pick what rules to follow and when to follow them.

It was the same when we saw a few suspensions overturned in football in recent years. And I will admit as a Waterford man that I can't help but look at this and compare to Conor Gleeson before the 17 final. Similar to Peter Casey, he did something that was technically a red card, but harmless enough in reality. He got caught and unfortunately got red carded and missed the final. He'd have been some addition to our team that day. More than likely he'd have been on Canning and was in great form that year. Fantastic man marker. Having him on the day could have made a genuine difference.

Even Conor Gleeson this year was something similar. You felt sorry for him missing a game because of what he did, but he was caught and couldn't really have any complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 AllSquare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

With the state of them this year that's closer to the truth than it should be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Saying Limerick can be beaten because they missed shots from far out in a league 1/4 final 4 years ago is a bit ridiculous. I agree with your point about teams playing the game on Limerick’s terms, Kilkenny forced teams to do that for years until Sheedy stopped them in 2010. This Limerick team are highly skilled and well able to shoot, look how many scores they got from way out against Waterford in the all Ireland final. Same Saturday night a lot of their scores came from 50+ yards out.

you’re clever enough to notice that teams lob balls down into no man’s land against limerick - did you not realise why? How many times does an opposition player get the ball and straight away there’s 2 or 3 monsters hopping off him? Players don’t have the time or space to play measured balls against Limerick.

Just about and hadn't beaten them before that since 1973.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭threeball

Gaa discipline is officially a joke. Players have been given a licence to do as they please in semi finals as they will more than like get any suspension reminded or overturned by the CCCC. Its an almost yearly occurrence in one of the codes now.

Casey was a clear headbutt where he even threw himself to the ground clutching his own face and faning injury. Yes its not nice for anyone to miss a final but you should be punished if you break the rules. Otherwise they mean nothing.

This ruling also undermines the umpires and linesman who brought it to the refs attention. Why would they bother in future if its basically calling them unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

I have yet to see any image or video of an actual headbutt!

If you have the evidence then show it!

How many championship meetings did they have between 1973 and 2018 ?

Also dont deflect from the fact you were wrong

The umpires on the day obviously saw it. In the absence of evidence they were wrong its hard to understand the overturning. Yes it's tough on Casey but rules are rules. Not implementing the clear rules for reasons of sympathy causes all sorts of precedential difficulties - as they say, hard cases often make bad law.

I fully understand the Limerick lads being happy he's playing, I'd be the same if it was a Cork fella, but don't fool yourselves into thinking its the "right" decision and don't try to find a justification if it's not really there.

Equally dont you try to fool yourself into thinking it is the "wrong" decision when your facts are as limited and flimsy as the other side

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

If you go by that rule, you're relying on the TV cameraman to catch all sending off offences. I can't imagine you think that should be the case?

If there is tv evidence to prove a fella innocent then fair enough. But if not, the red should stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

You are 100% correct.

The match officials witnessed an incident. The red card was handed out on this basis, and it should only be overturned on the production of clear and irrefutable video evidence.

Players get sent off all the time at club level wuthout the TV cameras present. I have seen players miss out on playing co finals but without being able to show otherwise, then it goes by the referees report.

I didn't see any video evidence that proves the match officials were incorrect.

• Advertisement
Advertisement