Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sophie: A Murder in West Cork - Netflix.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,751 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Better than a spell in Mountjoy, a lot of people would argue.

So what's your explanation for this development? Do you think this guy is a spoofer, a fantaist? Or did he drastically misconstrue what JT was saying to him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,846 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Well I'm not sure if a woman pleaded coercive control and testified evidence that put a murderer behind bars if they would get much of a custodial sentence, but it would be relatively brief versus an indefinite possibility of further abuse?

That they weren't an active participant in the crime itself, but compelled to be an accessory in the cover-up, would be considered in any sentencing together with a guilty plea, first offence etc etc

After this amount of elapsed time, rather like Sophie's friends who 'remembered' Ian Bailey after 10 years, I don't give it any credence - as he could be a fantasist or misremembering \ misconstruing what was actually said.

Another dark humour along the lines of: "If Ian did it, I'd have been the one to clear away the blood as he never does any housework..."

If they come up with information that can be independently verified, that's a different story.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Yeah but unlike those long-after 'recollections' of Sophie talking about IB, there's a plausible explanation why 'the cheesemaker' would have sat on this so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭flanna01

I think most people will agree, what Ian Bailey put his Partner through was horrific... It beggers belief that somebody would stand by their spouse after such an attack - Let alone several attacks.

But that still doesn't make him a murderer.

If Jules did participate in the cleaning of bloodied clothes for Bailey - Then she knows he murdered Sophie. This would have been the perfect opportunity to eradicate him from her life forever...

If you believe the allegation, then Jules knowingly covered up the murder of a French Woman. She then went on to consistently support Bailey for the following two decades while watching Sophie's family suffer in pain & anguish. What does Jules have to gain by covering up for Bailey and placing herself in a legal mire of being an accessory to murder, and implicating herself in all sorts of criminal acts??

Something is just not adding up here....

So this elderly person, suddenly develops a moral compass?? Has a desire to do the right thing?

As much as I'd like to see justice for Sophie & her Family, I don't believe it will be achieved by witch hunting. And the latest twist to this tragic story is indeed more smoke and mirrors nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,846 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Why say anything now? What's to be gained?

If he kept quiet for 20 years out of concern for Jules, well, bringing the information out now is worse for her not better. Because it means she has left Bailey and still not said anything, so has no defence to being an accessory.

If the information had come to light 20 years ago, Jules role in it could be presented in a different light as noted above. If he's concerned Bailey might harm Jules, well, this is a guy he now thinks has brutally killed one woman in a drunken frenzy... but had no concerns back in the day Bailey might have another such 'frenzy' towards Jules or some other woman in the community???

Doesn't add up.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Maybe at an advanced age, his conscience has recalbrated and he now believes it's more important to reveal all he knows about the murder than to protect Jules.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭solasGael

She could not plead coercive control because that offence did not exist then .

You can't backdate an offence that did not exist. There's no punishment without law

https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/human-rights-act/article-7-no-punishment-without-law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 42 mutul8

Close this thread too I would say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭tibruit

I don`t know what all the fuss is about. If mods are not happy with the way people behave they should suspend them. What is the point of closing a thread? The other thread was a worthwhile read in recent weeks with a number of interesting contributors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Just lazy modding,

couldn't be bothered reading the thread to single out the individuals and issue warnings or thread bans.

Just shut the thread and job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭dublin49

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭nc6000

Yeah, it's a bit disappointing that those of us who enjoyed that thread have to miss out because a few posters can't stick to some basic rules.

Post edited by nc6000 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭champchamp

Agree 100%.

It's fairly clear who the offenders are, ban them and let tye rest of us get on with it.

Do Bailey is now saying he was at the kitchen table writing his article and not in the Prairie as previously stated.

Seems suspicious to me.

According to the Sun the Gardaí are taking Marie Farrell's statement about the suspect in the photo with Daniel seriously;

Poor old Jim Sheridan has lost the plot. Marie Farrell saw a man outside her shop on the Saturday at around the time Sophie was in. She saw the same man hitching a lift on the road early the next morning. She says she saw the same man stumbling along the road near Kealfada bridge around the time of the murder. Apart from the loitering outside the shop, our supposed international man of mystery doesn`t sound very hitmanish now does he?

So Farrell made her initial statement on the 27th I think. In it she says she saw the loiterer on the Saturday and again on the Airhill road the next morning. At the time, she didn`t know Bailey. While Bailey must have been a suspect at this point and they may or may not have established that he was indeed in Schull that Saturday, what the Gardaí didn`t know was that he was also on the Cork road that morning of the Farrell sighting. They only became aware of that little gem in mid January, weeks after Farrell had made her statement and when Bailey came clean after saying initially he had been home that night.

Murphy`s is apparently about 100 meters from the Farrell sighting, Bailey crashed on their couch that night and at least two people who were there say he got up and left for a while before returning again early that morning. The West Cork people actually asked Bailey an interesting question about all of this. They asked him what was his intention that morning, to hitch a lift or walk home? Bailey was given the opportunity to say "I didn`t leave Murphy`s early that morning", but his actual reply was "I don`t know."

There is little doubt in my mind that the man Farrell saw outside her shop on the Saturday and early the next morning was Bailey. What she she came up with afterwards is another matter.

Sheridan in the Sun paper said

“I asked the Gardai if they had made any progress and they said they had passed the information onto Interpol and they were looking for him.

Why would the garda tell Sheridan anything?

----

The following quotes are from @tibruit and my replies

There is little doubt in my mind that the man Farrell saw outside her shop on the Saturday and early the next morning was Bailey.

probably was

They asked him what was his intention that morning, to hitch a lift or walk home? Bailey was given the opportunity to say "I didn`t leave Murphy`s early that morning", but his actual reply was "I don`t know."

He only answers questions when it suits him

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Deeec

You see the problem is that Marie Farrell cannot be believed on anything she says - she has proven herself to be very untrustworthy.

If she told me today was Monday I would have to make sure.

"Why would the garda tell Sheridan anything?"

Because if he does make a documentary that goes down the French route, they don`t want him saying that he gave them a statement and evidence and they didn`t follow it up.

• Advertisement

I mostly agree. But the first statement is reconcilable with Bailey`s known whereabouts on the Saturday and the following morning. She didn`t know him at the time and Gardaí didn`t even know he had spent the night in Murphy`s at the time Farrell made her first statement.

Your @tibruit quotes look like you're quoting Sheridan,

was this your intention?

First quote yes Sheridan from the Sun. edited post to make it clear

theother two were @tibruit

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

The garda do not have to tell a film maker anything. Anyone taking MF seriously is deluded. MF should have gone to garda if she has any new evidence

She made a new statement too after identifying a man in a photo that Sheridan showed her. I think he was an associate of Daniel Du Plantier but I`m not sure.

I think he was an associate of Daniel Du Plantier but I`m not sure.

I think you are right about that but MF's statements? She already "identified" Bailey and retracted. Who is to say she won't retract again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

One problem I have with that is that, days later, she apparently did not pick out Ian Bailey in the video taken of the Christmas swim.

There's a lot of seemingly confusing or contradictory aspects about this case.

When things are uncertain we need not only to look for corroboration but also to play devil's advocate and look for contradictions.

I like Sheridan movies and he seems a genuine guy. If he was going down the French route without Farrell in tow I would say fire away Jim and see if you come up with something. But once he starts out on a foundation of Farrell testimony, he is going nowhere before he even begins. The idea of a French hitman or cast aside lover coming over to kill Sophie is highly improbable to begin with. But once you try to reconcile this with Farrell testimony it just gets ridiculous. It would all start out ok with a possible stalker following Sophie in Schull on the Saturday which could be plausible. But then you have the same character trying to hitch a lift on the Cork road the next morning in the dark. How ridiculous does that sound? Then he is spotted stumbling away from the scene of the murder the following night? Professional hit howarya.

Fair enough. But it is hard to get away from the fact that Bailey was in both places at around the same time as Farrell saw her man in black.

• Advertisement

Her only sighting of Bailey was on Sat Sun morn I'd say

The man in black she may have seen twice, once in Schull and then again on the bridge,

Bailey was probably never at the bridge on Sun night/Mon morn.

Jim's angle here is more likely ex French lover, rather than hitman.

Post edited by chooseusername on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement