Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

Nigel Farage secured 157,000 at his peak last week.

Also, I've never disagreed that viewing figures are not ideal. Of course they could and should be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,295 ✭✭✭✭Penn

But it doesn't get under people's skin though, at least not nearly in the way you're trying to imply. People mocking something doesn't mean it's gotten under their skin, or triggered them, they're just mocking something.

I'd find the idea of Farage wearing the coat to try and trigger people more funny and mock-worthy than Farage just wearing the coat. The very thought of Farage putting on the coat and thinking "This'll trigger some lefties" is so pathetic that it's funny. As funny as you trying to change the subject of the overall GB News figures being poor by posting "I hope Farage wears his big green coat on the show some night"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭banie01

A yes would have been sufficient, but thanks.

It really says more for you that you believe dressing for a political reaction matters.

Not policy, implementation or effectiveness but rather, as Mister Anarchy and a few others have mooted on this thread without the cloak of spurious bullshit you eagerly roll around in...

It's all about "owning the libs" and stoking reaction.

Zero actual credible engagement or politicking.

Sorry, but you should be more observant. The post just before this one directly addresses viewing figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

If I tuned in and Farage was wearing that coat in the studio I would just assume he was cold because GB "news" didn't have the money to pay the heating bill due to lack of revenue.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Piers Morgan is a lot of unpleasant things , stupid isn't one of them.

Any tiny chance that GB News might have had to get someone like him to join is long long gone.

They are as they say, a busted flush - No one with Media name recognition will join them.

Might see a few failed Politicians or the like joining , but not a chance that someone with an existing media profile will go near them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Dafuq.

Its a bog standard coat.

Id you want Farage to wear something cultural would you not mean this?

welp the forum doesnt accept ikages.

Let's see what direction GB News takes after Andrew Neil is kicked out first.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

He did , on one day - The rest of the week he trailed BBC News and Sky News quite badly.

Guido Fawkes was tweeting (which you breathlessly posted here) about how Farage "trounced" BBC News with that 157k figure which was a few thousand ahead of the BBC News show , neglecting to mention that the previous day the BBC show had almost double the viewers of the Farage show.

Facts are facts - Farage has a moderately successful show in the context of the overall TV viewing activity and the rest of GB News has essentially nothing in terms of overall viewers.

They are currently running at about 20% of the BBC News overall viewing numbers and at about 35% of the Sky News Viewing numbers and those figures have shrunk each and every week since launch.

They are in serious serious trouble and no amount of cherry-picked Cheer-leading tweets/articles can alter that simple fact.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd be more interested to know what parts of The Left (ominous thunder sounds), are somehow triggered by a fúcking coat. And that's without resorting to deep-diving into Twitter - 'cos you can prove anything, if you search in that muckpile long enough. It's not even emblazoned with the Union Flag or something more identifiably British, bar the fairly archaic Landed Gentry imagery.

• Advertisement

The direction is downward.

Their roster will be like a really sh*t "Celebrity Big Brother - Politics edition" .

People that you sort of remember hearing about a while back but that have been largely irrelevant for quite some time.

Anyone want to set odds on George "the cat" Galloway getting a gig soon??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Post edited by ancapailldorcha on

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Very telling that you think symbolism of over a century ago is an image Farage is trying to portray.

Everything about him screams a yearning for the days when the British Empire was at its height.

That's the culture that he (and you it looks like) seem to be crying out for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Interestingly from that Telegraph article

The Telegraph understands Frangopoulos pushed through the GB News launch despite warnings from Neil and director of programming John McAndrew that it was not ready to start broadcasting.

“Everybody in Paddington quickly learned that Andrew and John McAndrew didn’t think we were anywhere near ready to launch,” another insider says.

“Most of us thought so too, but the chief executive wanted to plough ahead and we were told he did so with the full backing of the board.”

That might explain alot of the technical difficulties.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

At this stage in its lifespan, that's all (a certainly demographic) of the UK. The sad hollow rattle of an empty bottle, while they regale tales of their former "glory". Still clinging to old ideas of imagined arch-nemesis (Germany, The EU), international importance (the Suez Canal Crisis put paid to that long), and obvious self-sabotage (Brexit, Brexit, Brexit). Like the bitter divorcee though, they can't possibly summon the self-awareness to reflect honestly on their reduced status.

Brexit is about ushering in a new chapter for the UK, not about harking back to the 1960s. This is simply the truth.

Naysayers are bitter. Why wouldn't they be?

They lost the referendum and, out of pure vindictiveness it seems, now yearn for Brexit to fail in what can only be described as a twisted form of political Schadenfreude. Freed from the bureaucratic nightmare of the EU, a new future has been made pregnant for the UK - an outward-looking, global Britain that reaches out to the world rather than remaining an insular, cowering satellite of an expanding, power-hungry EU "empire".

Laws, borders, and a restoration of democracy.

The UK can now, as Daniel Hannan very eloquently put it, "raise her eyes to more distant horizons".

After all, Brexit is about the future, not the past.

You were the one who tut-tutted for someone playing "the man", so maybe Doctor Heal Thyself? As usual, it's a generalised swipe. No right-minded "Remainer" wants Brexit to fail because, invariablyy, it will be the poorest & least shielded from its economic effects who'll suffer. Whether that bothers you is up to your own tastes towards Social Democracy. Which, by your words, doesn't seem to be very high.

This isn't the thread to get into the weeds of Brexit but it was sold on a pack of exaggerations and lies; mixed with some old-fashioned nepotism like awarding shipping contracts to a company with no boats. While the actual implementation has been so cack-handed there may be food shortages in the coming weeks because the supply chain - and truckers to work it - has collapsed. UNICEF had to run some food donations in parts of the UK (though not saying that's 100% Brexit). Not to mention the threat of violence returning to Northern Ireland but I put that in the laps of the DUP rather than the Tories.

Britain frequently wielded its veto power in the EU and got concessions any time it requested them; on leaving, it also had the option to join arrangements ala Norway, Switzerland and the like - but has chosen to become a full, "independent" 3rd Country. We'll see how powerful their international sway plays as a single, medium-sized country going it 100% alone, and how far its clout takes it (the trade deals it has arranged so far scarcely suggest a monolithic power; trumpeting cheese sales to lactose-intolerant Japan ain't all that amazing) It wasn't strangled by the EU, unless you buy into the nonsense peddled by the UK press about Crash Helmets for trapeze artists and the like.

The "restoration of democracy" comment is quite amusing though, especially in light of some laws passed in the UK recently. You're a great man for a soundbite.

Quick update on GB News social media:

Twitter - 314,146 followers

Facebook - 119,927 followers

YouTube - 210,000 subscribers

Not suggesting this is a replacement for TV viewing figures, but nonetheless an impressive start for a channel that was birthed 2-months ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,612 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Ah. More Hannanist facile nonsense easily disproven by a cursory glance at the news here on any given day.

Is Hannan on with Farage tonight or something?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Advertisement

I don't believe the two personally get on, though maybe they have recently kissed and made up. Hannan is impressive, in my view at least.

Hannan is one of the least intelligent people I've ever seen on British television and that's saying something. I remember the time he claimed that the British invented DNA.

Well, he's now Baron Hannan of Kingsclere, handed to him for his services to Brexit.

Would one of the least intelligent people write this? 😂

Unsurprisingly, several other European countries have opted to copy Britain’s deal with the EU, based as it is upon a common market rather than a common government. Some of these countries were drawn from EFTA (Norway, Switzerland and Iceland are all bringing their arrangements into line with ours). Some came from further afield (Serbia, Turkey, Ukraine). Some followed us out of the EU (Denmark, Ireland, the Netherlands).

The United Kingdom now leads a 22-state bloc that forms a free trade area with the EU, but remains outside its political structures. For their part, the EU 24 have continued to push ahead with economic, military and political amalgamation. They now have a common police force and army, a pan-European income tax and a harmonised system of social security. These developments have prompted referendums in three other EU states on whether to copy Britain.

I could practically feel the tears rolling down his cheek when he wrote that horrendous, reaching drivel. Suppose with 4 years to go 'til his prediction it could still all happen.

News release on four new politics programs to launch, as well as a commitment to "hire more journalists".

Precisely. Conservatism is nothing more than corruption and bigotry. Thanks for helping me substantiate my point.

Yep. But the upper caste here can only fail upwards so we need not worry how he gets an income now. As @eskimohunt has shown, one need only say a few positive things about Brexit to become a leech on the taxpayer for life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Eskimo is gonna come back with the fact that they beat Sky and BBC combined for that timeslot which is completely true. However this conveniently ignores the fact that the the three channels put forward completely different programming types for this timeslot so comparing them actually makes no sense as, neither SKY or BBC are actively trying to compete against Farage while GB news most deffinitely are trying to compete against them, and they are winning for this 1 hour out of 24 on this one day.......

This kind of point scoring ratings one upmanship eskimo is basing their hopes on continues to miss the point of if GB news is going for a FOX style entertainment channel then continuing to compare their shows to shows on other actual news channels is pretty disingenuous. I'm guessing they know this too but would like the rest of us to conveniently ignore this very obvious hypocrisy because we all know Farage hasn't a hope against Eastenders et al.

That's a first.

One poster asks @eskimohunt a question, then another poster answers that question in @eskimohunt's name.

So he's lost 40,000 viewers in a week? According to your (terrible) maths earlier in this thread, that means he'll be at zero by the end of the month, then, yes?

That is some pure SCI-FI fantasy codswallop If ever I've seen it. And I thought EskimoHunt was a Walter Mitty type character, that reads like a jilted lover penning a fanfic about how they end up bringing ALL the cheerleaders to the prom while the class jock is arrested. Seriously delusional stuff.

You're really scraping the bottom of the barrel here with this crap. You're not doing much to dispel the impression that a lot of what Farage et al, including your good self, do is purely to "trigger the libs". No real substance, just a lot of hot air in an attempt to confuse and embarrass the opposite side, without doing anything to improve your own lot. Much like Trump who never really had any policies other than "destroy anything with Obama's name attached to it". All fur coat and no knickers, to borrow a phrase. Or "all gag and no vomit" to borrow another.

That's an excellent point. It seems we're rehashing the Brexit debate for perhaps this reason though.

Disingenuity is the beating heart of the "modern" British right so that's only going to encourage them. The trolling is all the channel is really for. I'm surprised they're still pretending to be a news channel, frankly. Amazed even since this is clearly the only way for them to go. I can't remember the last time Farage surprised me to be honest. You can guess what he's going to say with no effort. I remember working in a clinical lab in Manchester nearly a decade ago listening to the annual grade inflation debate on Absolute Radio. He trots it out and we're supposed to be impressed apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Well you still hadnt addressed it in your 5 other posts since it was asked so I simply assumed that as usual you were dodging an inconvenient question

• Advertisement

You are not doing yourself or the Left any favours by making sweeping generalizations about the political right as a nest of immoral, heartless, racist, corrupt psychopaths.

"Forget about using labels Left and Right; it's a distraction."

"For every time a conservative legitimately uses the word racist, a member of the Left will inappropriately apply it 25 times"

"The Left have themselves to blame over GB News and the rise of Conservative thought."

"The Left always go for the man, not the ball. It's telling."

"Yet another tactic of the left."

And yet, you are now trying to take the moral high ground by saying "You are not doing yourself or the Left any favours by making sweeping generalizations" after spending the past two weeks making broad, sweeping generalisations?

Are you for real?

Somehow I think both myself and "the left" will endure.

You are not doing yourself or the Right any favours by making sweeping generalizations about the political left as a nest of triggered, schadenfreude fuelled, lazy workshy layabouts or nazi adjacents. Sauce for the goose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I asked because wanted to know if you knew it not, not because I wanted to be duped into contributing to the viewing numbers; but you answered anyway, thanks.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

That's some serious spin right there - At least the PR department are earning their money..

A Commitment to "Hire more Journalists" - Who/what were they hiring before?

That reminds me of a advertising banner I saw outside a McDonalds in Texas a few years ago - "New McNuggets , now with more Chicken!!"

That ad didn't make me want to buy New McNuggets , it made me wonder WTF was in the old McNuggets!!!

The "Already popular Fantasy PMQ's" - Popular with whom exactly? , no one is watching the channel!!

So - The message behind the PR spin is that less than a month after launch , they are having to do a complete rebuild of their scheduling and presenters and promise to have more Journalists so they can be better.

What makes them think that this approach they've come up with over the last few weeks will be better than the one they chose to launch with after what you'd hope was months and months of market research and audience testing?

Anyone who owns a business should also probably know that it's one thing to SAY you're hiring more staff - it's quite another to find said staff, and entice them to join your company. GB News can declare all they want they are going to hire more journalists, quite another thing for the journalists to take up the offer. Even leaving aside political allegiances, the wages will want to match - which opens up the question of revenue once more. STuffing the ranks with more eager interns mightn't help build standards.

Absolutely - Posting a Job and filling the role are very different things.

Previously you might have been able to attract people by saying "you'll get the chance to work with Andrew Neil , decades of Print and TV journalism experience , you'll learn loads"

Now the hook is - "You'll get to work with Nigel Farage".

Yeah , they'll be beating them back with a stick alright..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Haha jeysus they have a show called "fantasy PMQs" 🤣

I can imagine some young person thinking about applying and then thinking better of it in case they might have to put "GB News" on their CV or explain it in an interview with an actual news organisation.

• Advertisement

He says, making more sweeping generalisations about "the left".

But, yeah, sure.....you did it to trap me and not because you're a raging hypocrite.

Pull the other one, pal.

I'm sure given any year of journalism graduates (no doubt only achieving their grades through artificial inflation. Chortle), there'd be those who would find GB News appealing; not just from an ideological view, but those wishing to see how "the other side" live; maybe looking to experience a true challenge working for what could be charitably called an underdog. Or those who just need a job - any job. But all the enthusiastic graduates in the world won't replace the need for senior staff and management; as said, the chance to work with Andrew Neil is gone - who does that leave?

News just in that an economic migrant has drowned in the English Channel.

I warned about this risk the other week, arguing that France had to do more to ensure that migrant boats didn't make the journey toward and into British territorial waters.

Totally preventable.

It'll be interesting to hear Nigel Farage's take on this latest development later tonight.

It's not, honestly...ut really isn't. None of those numbers matter as they don't bring the revenue needed to keep a T.V channel on air 24/7.

Who does Farage have on tonight on his talking shìte segment?

So you heard news of someone's death and rushed here for an "I told you so". Even got a snide xenophobic comment about them being an economic migrant in as well. Well done.

I'd say it's like a medical school applicant putting an internship with Dr. Pepper on their CV to be honest.

I have no idea if they could even learn anything. I don't know who Dan Wooton is and Michelle Dewberry is just a reality TV contestant. Neil was the one person who could pass as a journalist and he's seen the writing on the wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

F You for this.

You're showing your true colours here. How do you know this wasn't a genuine migrant fleeing persecution? What do you know that makes it appropriate to claim they were an economic migrant? What does that term even mean?

And now looking forward to Farage pontificating on the persons death in what is likely to be entirely inappropriate and self serving.

Quite the picture you are painting of yourself with this post. Next time you try to defend yourself because others call out the faux concern for migrants, remember your post and how you tried to manipulate the story for your own end.

Migrants - irrespective of source - are not in fear of their lives in France.

To move to the UK must therefore be an economic decision.

If they were genuine refugees, they would turn up at the UK border to state their case and supply documents.

They wouldn't throw those documents away, pay thousands to criminal traffickers, and try to enter illegally across the English Channel.

Something that doesn't affect you in any way shape or form, yet you couldn't wait to post about that person's death. Sick, sick, sick mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Morgans

Hopefully the RNLI wasn't trying to help them as they drowned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement