Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Transfer Superthread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Aaron Ramsdale must be the vessel in a very elaborate money laundering scheme between football club owners with the strange condition that he actually has to play football and not just sit on the bench. There’s literally no other reasonable explanation than I can think of, he cannot realistically be bought at that price for his goalkeeping ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just to add to that I read that Messi has it written in his contract that the Argentinian FA have priority over him for all internationals, including friendlies. It also said that his contract allows for Argentinas coaches and backroom staff to have direct access to him at PSGs training faciity but it didnt elaborate why. Either way with those terms it seems after finally winning the Copa with Argentina Messi wants to target winning the Qatar World Cup as his final swansong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It must be so disheartening as an Arsenal fan to be linked with Ramsdale, let alone at £30m. Jesus that's some waste of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Was listening to Tim Vickery talking about his international focus recently - seems he kind of grew up a bit under Scaloni, come out of himself a bit more and has been the national leader and figurehead he’d tried to avoid being in his 20s. Doing a lot more national interviews, and taking on more of a mentoring role with young Argentinian players - think his focus has basically just shifted from the club game to the international game as he’s gotten closer to the end of his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ramsdale wasnt even the best keeper at Bournemouth when Howe suddenly made him first choice and sent Begovic to Azerbaijan on loan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Ramsdale seems to have got player of year awards for both Bournemouth and Sheffield United in their relegation seasons though may be a best of a bad bunch awards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

If Arsenal were struggling for HG players, you'd say ok fair enough they needed an English player to come in. But they look like they are ok in that sense, and have the 8 players. 9 if you include Willock. Unless they start selling some of those HG players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,275 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Willock to Newcastle for 25m a cupla days ago. Unless it collapsed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

He was bought for 18 million last year by Sheff United , was excellent for them and won there player of the season ,so a 6 million hike isn't all that huge , it's 24 million the rest is add ons

He will probably come in as number 2 , but there was murmerings of Leno leaving at the end of the last season so getting him early is a good idea

Does come with the english tax aswell , If we go on and actually buy a creative midfielder before the end of the window Maddison or Odegaard as a whole the window won't look too bad then , but if this is it , it'll make this one a litte more baffling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Sorry but "he was excellent for them" is completely ignoring the context of Sheffield United's season. Broke the record for most number of games played to win a match in a PL season. He had plenty to do in terms of making saves, but he had very little competition for POTY given how SU's season panned out.

Don't be trying to build him up because the club you support is looking to sign him. He's not a great PL keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

what was his save %? cos thats the only real metric to judge a keeper on.

and then shockers leading to goals secondly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

All the one now anyway as it seems to have broken down now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,620 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

He's transferred to PSG who'll walk the French league and he's 34 now. If he had of moved 4/5 years ago it would be newsworthy

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

City ready to offer €150 million for Kane (was in £ when it was posted originally)

Post edited by Kiith on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Don't think Levy will accept that. £150 million maybe, but not less then £130 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

City do need him, having Jesus as the only striker isn't good I know they could get away with it with how they play but I think Kane would do extremely well at City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,924 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

PSG, City & Chelsea will have a lot of players that won't be used and on huge salaries they won't be able to offload because clubs will not be able to match the wages they are being paid.

It's these inflated wages that these State and Oligarch clubs are paying to get any player they want will finally kill the game when they grow tired of their toys and replace them with new toys and try to off load the old toys that no one can afford.

• Advertisement

Don't know why the city hating guardian didn't report it in sheckles for even greater shock effect.

Wtf report on a English commercial transaction in €uro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Not sure why an English paper is reporting a transfer fee between two english clubs in euros but e150m is £127m.

Where would that put it in world record transfers? Neymar then Coutinho (£129m) then Kane? Or was there another higher than Coutinho?

Odd that Utd and Arsenal have the highest wage bills in the prem then huh.....

At £150m It would be the 3rd highest ever after Neymar (£198m) and Mbappe (£163m).

I can't make my mind up about it really. I'd like him at the club and Pep clearly sees his potential but he's no spring chicken, he is out of condition, somewhat fat and slow (looked that way to me in the Euros).

His fee is mad but really, what isn't these days?

He isn't a typical City project either. The Club would much prefer a project player such as Halaand but they are not available.

He will bang the goals in for city but it's going to come at a fair cost both on and off the field.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I just don't think he will suit City's high pressing style, he played his best football under Mourinho in a counter attacking side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Kane will do one thing for sure at City, score the penalties they get! Their record is hilariously bad (20 in the last two years and only 11 scored in PL) for the quality of players taking them. If he goes there 30 league goals would be the bar he should be aiming for.

Hard to argue against that.

He was absolutely dreadful in the 1st 2/3rd of the Euros and only marginally better in the latter stages. I'm convincing myself that was because he is dissolitioned with the Spurs gig and because Southgate had no idea what to do with him.

1st thing City will do with him is take away the pies and buy him a drawer full of runners....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

He is only 28 ( I think). I didn't think he was out of condition as such but he was fairly anonymous during the euros, I think the whole England team was piss poor. Haaland is a player that will stick around a couple of season but will want a big move especially with raiola as his agent, you'd imagine he'd demand a hefty weekly wage. With a 75 million release clause next year, there is probably going to be a big circus around his transfer. Kane will definitely get you at least 20+ league goals a season but should be getting closer to 30 with City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

A 75m release clause plus a 25m signing on fee plus 20m for Raiola plus 20m for Daddy Haaland plus....

Who will buy Haaland next season anyway.

Chelsea have bought Lukaku, Barcelona and Real have no money.

That leaves Utd or City and if City buy Kane then that only leaves Utd.

Will Utd want to do business with vermin like Raiola, unlikely I would think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

£130m I think is the upper limit to what Levy can expect. His financial acumen is overrated. It's one thing haggling over player fees but the way he oversaw the disastrous cost overrun with the stadium wiped out all his transfer gains in one fell swoop.

He also completely blew the Bale money. City will get what they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

They've kinda evolved beyond a high press though - they don't do anything like what Liverpool were doing, or Pep's old Barca team for instance. Their game now is based more around high-control and suffocation with crisp controlled passing and weight of numbers more than running intensity. So I don't think the pressing aspect will hurt him too much. He's excellent at linking play (his strength in Jose's counter attacking), which I think translates to exactly what Pep wants - someone who will drop into spaces to keep moves going and work openings for those running in behind, and then get in on the end of it to receive the final ball and knock it into the goal. Kinda think more of his game suits City than doesn't. And all the pressure isn't on him either, they're choc full of gold standard players, so if he's having a quiet day you still get the moment of beautiful finishing, without suffering from everything having to go through him.

I'm worried about how efficient they could be with him in the team to be honest, much moreso than what Graelish brings (who is brilliant also, but doesn't necessarily bring things that Silva and Fodan can't).

The whole Kane gentleman's agreement makes laugh really he signed a 5 year deal on huge money and now wants Spurs to let him go for below his market value because he has buyers remorse about signing a long term contract.

The contract he signed protected him as much as the club if his form dropped off a cliff or injury ended his career he would still get paid that 200k a week for the duration of that contract.

Just look at Spurs for another example of a player signing along term contract on big money and his form dropping off a cliff in Dele Ali who's value at the time he signed his contract was £50m+ if a club wanted him Spurs will never get that money now and Ali won't be pushing for a move as he knows no other club will pay him the kind of wage he is on at Spurs now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I see what you are saying but Kane is a top pro who has been doing it week in week out for years.

He is a goal machine.

Dele Ali was the typical overhyped English youngster who believed his own hype and he has a terrible attitude.

You cant compare those two, Ali isnt fit to lace his boots.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It doesn't matter if one is fit to lace the others boots or not they both signed contracts to protect themselves and get paid a lot of money, One just wants out now because someone else is offering him a better contract. So then Spurs are perfectly within there rights to say no until there value for the player is met.

It's being reported tonight that Atletico tried to sign Messi to reunite him with Luis.

Now that would have been a lot more of an interesting move for Messi to make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Chelsea will be very strong this season , needed a top quality striker to complete a quality lineup- They have now just signed the final piece in the jigsaw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Everton haven't had a whole lot of return for their transfer spending over the last five years.

Edit: at what point do people start expecting a title challenge from United and stop making excuses that they need more investment? 14.4m per season spent less than City isn't a much in the scheme of things.

So really, City not ruining football at all, just keeping up with the Jones.

Which is what all the noise is about tbh. The old guard complaining about new money.

Its pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Interested to hear why it's to their benefit?

I've not read anything about the new regulations so not sure what they are just yet but in what way does it benefit clubs like City and PSG?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

You claimed City had a smaller wage bill than Utd and Arsenal. You been proven wrong and moved the goalposts. It's not others who are being pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

The most amusing thing about that Swiss Ramble piece above is City's alleged revenue. The dinner ladies must all be sponsored in multi million pound deals by middle Eastern interests, as are the car parking attendants, the cleaners, the grounds keepers, the ball boys, the lad that replaces the urinal cakes in the bogs and the other lad that polishes the statue outside.

Moved what goal posts?

Utd have higher paid players than city or most of the league, Arsenal pay their players at a level thats same to City.

Utd frequently break transfer records, and so on and blah blah...

The complaints about city and money are hollow, much like the FFP witchunt city have been victim of since the club dared challenge the old guard both on and off the field.

Post edited by Roger the cabin boy on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

So you agree that United and Arsenal are not the highest wage payers?

Personally it does not bother me what wages teams pay their players, I have argued in favour of the idea clubs should be allowed spend as they see fit including private money injected into them, that the United's or Arsenals or Liverpool's (as the major historically most successful clubs) have always had a financial advantage over most sides.

In reality City are buying success, are using finance to tilt the scales in their favour - but every club is utilising whatever they have access to in an attempt to balance things in their favour.

I can also say that my two lines above are simplistic.

The commentary of pathetic is unhelpful and unfair as the actual reality has more complexity. Clubs like City with their "rapidly increasing Revenue" or Man Utd with their high levels of commercial revenue for many years have aided the creation of a potentially unsustainable level of spend required by other clubs to compete within the premier league. That could be damaging to the game and when we see the scenario at Everton for example (almost 90 of Revenue on wages and now needing to invest in a new stadium) where they have to commit so much money to stand still it has the potential to be very dangerous for the sustainability of the game. Most teams are reliant on TV money.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement