Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When in the development/design process does a website made "Responsive"?

Options
  • 11-08-2021 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi,

A company is designing a new website for me. It is not live and still in development. It is however, (according to them) almost ready to go live. I have noticed that the website looks poor on a mobile device. I mentioned this to the web designer on a number of occasions and he said that is not fixed until the site goes live. I thought this was unusual. I had assumed that as the pages are designed, the designer would've made the pages responsive. Am i correct in this assumption or totally off?

I would appreciate the view of you experts on this!

Thanks,

GB.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Tom1991

Pretty vague but what are they building it with most modern front end frameworks or libraries would be mobile first these days.If its in the spec you put together for the job that the site is to be responsive across screen sizes and browsers then dont pay till its ready .

The point of fix it when its live is also concerning whats the difference between live and pre-production where it is now then ideally your not gonna move from one to the other with a dealbreaker of a bug like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,637 ✭✭✭✭28064212

It's certainly possible to leave the responsive part of development to the end. Was a mobile friendly site part of the agreed spec?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭maccored

modern design is mobile first anyway. it should be responsive from the start

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

Absolutely should not be done when it's live - the horse has bolted at that point. Nothing about being live will help/hinder the mobile rendering of the site. Is going live a 'milestone - the developer gets paid? in my opinion don't let it go live without it working perfectly on mobile - this stat will focus the mind "In the first quarter of 2021, mobile devices (excluding tablets) generated 54.8 percent of global website traffic" - so go back and tell then that is not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Eh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 SylviaBogle

I also want to design my first website and launch it online soon. Can you please help me here which website builder should I use? For the first time, I need a cheap and reliable vendor. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SylviaBogle

I was looking for someone help here. Anyway, I found this vendor https://sitecreator.io/ a while ago. I would like to focus on it. Because it's easy to use, more affordable and cheap as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,868 ✭✭✭ozmo

You can do google site creator for free.

they put a small advert at the bottom of the site.

But its responsive, works on all devices, and doesnt cost anything to make or host.

The domain name can be got for about 10 euros per year if you shop around and you can point it to the google site.

and to answer original question- I would say responsive should have been in from the very beginning. Its easier to add from the start - building with a framework like bootstrap or similar that does all the resizing etc for you.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 17,525 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Depending on what you want you may be able to pick up a template on the likes of ThemeForest fairly cheap that you just need to edit

Guessing the OP has got it sorted by now or still chasing them to get a mobile version of the site - two options - a mobile site and seperate desktop site with lots more work or a single responsive site and all changes are global (as referred above using a framework like Bootstrap). No excuse for a site not being responsive to start with

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭nickkohl

Making your website responsive is important because it allows your website to look and work well on different devices, like phones, tablets, and computers. Are you looking for affordable custom website ? People use all kinds of devices to browse the internet, and a responsive website ensures that they can easily access and navigate your content no matter what device they're using. It also helps your website rank higher in search engines, improves user experience, and saves time and money by having one website that works for all devices. Ultimately, a responsive website helps you reach more people, make a good impression, and succeed online.

Post edited by nickkohl on

• Advertisement
Advertisement