Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Same here. A list of followed forums not threads is how the old dropdown list worked - we get that back on desktop and mobile and it will be a big improvement. I'd happily replace bookmarks for it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Great to see the sticky top bar. It was annoying not knowing if you had notifications or not until you clicked to check.

However, it does need a little tidying up. The profile picture icon on the top row is now redundant. I feel like it should just replace the profile menu icon on the bottom row like I suggested earlier. And reduce the padding, it takes up a little too much space.

If all the buttons are moved to the bottom row then the logo doesn't have to be sticky at all when scrolling.

Post edited by Peregrine on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,101 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

😂😂

I never use it but fair enough if it's popular. Just add another icon for followed forums, happy days. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭Esel

On Mobile, 'Bookmarked' told me 23 new posts in this thread. When I clicked into the thread, it took me to last page (with 4 posts on it). Had to load previous page to see other unread posts.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭mossie

Big improvement having the persistent top bar on mobile. If we get "My Forums" and "Mark Forum Read" back I'll be happy enough.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Evening all,

I think you have already spotted most of the updates today but I will list them here for anyone who has missed them:

Breadcrumb thread title on mobile & desktop (hat tip to @[Deleted User] for the info on this one)

Notification bar fixed on mobile top bar for logged in users

'Sign In' and 'Register' fixed on mobile top bar for logged out users

'Announcement' is now 'Sticky on mobile as it is on Desktop

Thanks all, hopefully we'll have a few more tomorrow!

I'm using the desktop site, and the latest changes have made a huge difference to be honest. You can see the work that is going on in the background to improve the user experience. Feedback is being taken on board. The search is still annoying - be nice to have the name of a forum be the top search result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭wally79

The fixed notification bar on mobile is now taking up too much space

Can things be moved around so that:

the notification bell appears on top line beside profile picture

tapping the profile picture brings up the other options as it did previously

while still keeping the logo line visible as you scroll

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Roger the cabin boy

Love the new format and software.

Looks great on mobile.

Well done.

• Advertisement

>Notification bar fixed on mobile top bar for logged in users

An option to make this disappear would be great! I didn't have any problem when it was a dropdown. Now it just takes up too much space on every page and means less content per page so more scrolling.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭archfi

Yes, it should disappear as you scroll down and reappear dynamically through gesture

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

For me (Android, FF) it stays fixed on the top of every page. Not liking it.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 13,490 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Do you recall the box below each forum, where it used to list mods and active users in the forum? Can this be reinstated please? ... It feels less isolated to know others are milling about (especially since our "friends list has been removed). Thanks for looking into it.

Funny: I have 2 tabs open - one for 'Bookmarked', the other for 'Followed Discussions'.

On 'Bookmarked' tab, the double line banner is fixed on top, and does not scroll off screen.

The other tab only has the single-line banner, which does scroll off screen.

Edit: When I click into a thread from the 'Followed Discussions' tab, I then have the double line banner fixed to top, not scrolling off screen.

Not your ornery onager

Agreed it would be nice if it disappeared, although there's way more space wasted at the top of every post. Get rid of the stars (whatever they mean), get rid of 'Registered Users' and if the user is a mod/admin then just display that. Compress the info into fewer lines and it would make a noticeable difference per page I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

PM issue on mobile.

I get the notification, can see there's a message there but I can't open it. Not the first time this had happened and it takes ages before the message can be accessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Are there any plans to restore the historical thanks on old posts?

It's vital for threads in fora you don't follow. I find it great if I post in Motors or DIY for example. They are traditionally fast moving forums so it's really handy to just save my thread or one that I'm interested in without following the entire forum or having to scroll through pages to find the latest one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

who are you PMing????

In 15+ years i sent maybe 2 and received 1. That was for invite to lock inn. I closed that account and started a new one. 🙃😆 How are you guys hitting the old limit??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,490 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Forum games alone is easy to fill the old inbox, repeatedly - many games are played via pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I don't think there's a limit now. It's a bug where there's a delay between the notification and being able to open the message.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

The fixed banner/ icon field needs to go on mobile. We don't need to have 1/5 of screen real estate taken up. I preferred how it was previously - click to reveal.

If people must have notifications, is it possible to have a notification icon on the avatar - the click to reveal?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Much improved on mobile. The top bar makes things a lot more accessable. I would still like to be able to find some of the threads I followed in the old Boards.

The highlighted new posts was badly needed.

Maybe we're getting somewhere 🤞

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Yup, bizarre design choice for mobile where available screen space is at a premium. Not a fan at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Much better now. Must have been another update in the last hour or so. Much crisper.

Ah here, I liked the fixed bar on mobile!! And rather than give us a dark mode you've given us a brighter blue???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I like the colour and I hated the fixed bar on mobile 😄

the drop down list isn’t working. When I go to to scroll through it, it just disappears again. I know the fixed menu took up loads of space but I’m back to scrolling up up up up to get to top of page again.

when I first looked this morning, seems that all that day one empty space was back too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭mossie

Fixed bar on mobile is essential for navigation rather than having to scroll all the way back to top. Taking it away again is a huge backward step. By all means make it smaller but keep it visible. Unless you've a tiny screen it makes very little difference to what you see and a huge difference to navigation.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement