Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

This is an exceptional Cork team. Ye recovered well after the awful start but Cork finished half very strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,295 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Cork Hurling is in some shape atm, whatever plan they implemented its working

Sadly there too good for us, let's hope the lads do themselves justice in the 2nd Half. For the age group these Cork lads are some players

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭JD. 60

Hard to watch ; being cleaned out all over the pitch. Damage limitation is the best we might do.

More fight shown in the 2nd half but the ship had long since sailed by then.

Twomey, Cummins & Fitzgerald impressed (full fwd line) ; the remainder were fighting a rearguard action most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

That Jack Twomey looks a fine hurler. What you are look for from minors is 3/4 very good/exceptional lads. Cork more balanced certainly and physically bigger which is important at this level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Massive team, but well sble to hurl too.. Their first touch snd fitness levels are streets ahead of our lads.. Boys against men unfortunately.. Hard luck lads, we met an excellent Cork side tonight.. Congrats to the Rebels

Cork far superior and will be very hard to stop In the AI final. I'd imagine it will be moved to its traditional slot as curtain raiser for the senior final in which will be massively in Corks favour

For us now it's about getting some of the stand out players ready for the next stage in there hurling careers. It will be a minimum 2/3 years before these lads may be considered for the senior setup

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

That Cork centre back and full forward were really exceptional, justified all the hype about them. All in all a very good team. I think Waterford can hope for 3/4 to play senior from this team though and if they can develop then we've had worse years.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

That’s an exceptional minor team that cork have. Fair play to our lads they stuck at it and never gave up. The full forward line of twomey, Fitzgerald and Cummins got 1-14 of our 1-15. Twomey got 1-4 from play and is underage again next year. As someone said if we get 3 or 4 from this team playing senior in the coming years it will be great. The three boys mentioned and also Charlie trean from abbeyside look to have great potential.

Cork are now in the senior under 20 and minor finals. They are certainly the up and coming team. Themselves and limerick could be the big rivalry over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Hopontop

Think Cummins is underage again next year too.

Lost to a better team but they showed great fight throughout the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Brave showing by minors last night, really got caught cold at the start , which can easily happen to 17 year olds. Had two good goal chances that they failed to convert that could have changed the course of the game, and a mixture of poor discipline and soft frees awarded (one in particular for overcarrying) made sure that Cork kept us at a safe distance throughout. In fairness Jack Leahy gave an exhibition of free taking for Cork.

One point of note that was very frustrating was the range of yellow cards handed out to Cork players by the referee in the second half. Everytime Waterford looked to run at Cork in search of the goals that might just bring them back into the game, Cork defenders were very cynical in taking out the runners. Patrick Fitzgerald in particular came in for serious attention. I realise that the rules are there and Cork "spread out" their cards well, it was very frustrating to see card after card being dished out without any real penalties being imposed - if it was a rugby match you would have probably had one or two in the sin bin for persistent cynical fouling. That being said it shows what level that Cork are at that in terms of competitiveness.

In fairness this is an exceptional Cork side that has been borne out of huge investment in underage structures in Cork for the last 6 years or more as was witnessed by anyone following the Tony Forristal before Covid - and this investment is likely to pay dividends for their senior teams in years to come - so watch out the rest of us.

From a Waterford prospect - well done to our young team and management on a solid campaign with a limited base - there was no shame in last night whatsoever. Some fine hurlers on that side with real potential, we just have to keep working at it and if we can pull three or four off of that team (which i certainly think will happen) as future seniors than that is a job well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Cork 1-26 Waterford 1-15

Notwithstanding the fact that they were up against an outstanding Cork team, I was still very disappointed by Waterford’s performance in last night’s Munster minor final. In their excellent semi-final win over Tipperary, Waterford appeared to be well-coached: their touch and striking were very good, while their interplay and shooting were outstanding.

This certainly was not the case last night. The first touch was frequently poor, possession was regularly lost in contact, too many players under pressure went for an open one-handed lift and were repeatedly dispossessed. Waterford players stood off the opponents they were marking and allowed them gain possession too easily. I don’t recall one instance where a Waterford player emerged with the ball from the many rucks which developed during the game.

However, where Waterford really fell down was in terms of tactics. Despite having a non-existent half forward line, they persisted from start to finish with a long puckout strategy. This made it all too easy for the big Cork half backs who routinely batted the ball down to a midfielder or deep-lying half forward who picked up and started the passing movements which, time and again, opened up a beleaguered Waterford defence.

In the second half, right in front of where I was sitting, Waterford right half back Billy O’Connell took up an unmarked position on the sideline on the Waterford 45 metre line and called repeatedly for the ball from Waterford puckouts. With Waterford playing with the wind, this was a good position to play the ball in over the Cork half back line to the Waterford inside forwards. However, presumably acting on instructions, Waterford goalkeeper Cian Troy completely ignored O’Connell and went for the long ball which, in most cases, came straight back.

On the few occasions when the ball did go into the Waterford inside line they were always out-numbered due to Waterford’s insistence on playing a sweeper, meaning that it was two against three up front. In the circumstances, Jack Twomey and Peter Cummins did very well with the meagre supply of good ball that came their way. Cummins scored two points and was very unlucky with an early goal shot that hit the goalie’s foot and stayed out. 

Twomey was far and away Waterford’s best player on the night, racking up 1-4 from play. His goal was a carbon copy of the one he got against Tipperary, as he came in along the end line to the left of the goal and batted the ball superbly inside the far post. His first touch was outstanding and he has strength and pace. Apart from an early O’Connell point, Cummins and Twomey were the only Waterford players to score from play, and one wonders how the game might have turned out if they had got a decent supply of ball.

As in the Tipperary game, Patrick Fitzgerald played a free-roving game out around the half-forward/midfield area, but with Waterford getting little decent possession in this area, Fitzgerald ended up with little possession. On the few occasions that he did get into good attacking situations (especially in the second half) he was (as pointed out by blueflame in his post) routinely taken down by the cynical Cork defence who were quite happy to take a series of harmless yellow cards in the process. As Kilkenny have shown over the years, this is the kind of thing you do in order to win hurling championships. Fitzgerald’s scoring, therefore, was confined to frees, a function which he performed excellently.

Nevertheless, there are some positives to be taken from the minors’ short campaign. Beating any Tipperary out the gate is always to be welcomed, and that game produced a lot of good individual performances. And, in a game where scoring forwards are a priceless commodity, the fact that, over the two games, Waterford’s three best players all fell into this category offers great promise for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Spot on. While the players battled on until the end it was very frustrating watching the tactics employed. I can understand the fumbling as it tends to happen with young lads on a big occasion but what I can't understand is some of the ridiculous tactical decisions from the line. as pointed out by Giveitfong O'Connell repeatedly took up a good unmarked position but was ignored and not only that he was ignored for ball that was repeatedly hit straight down on top of cork defenders. Also persisting with playing with an extra man back while 10/11 points down- whats the point!!! smacked of keeping the score down rather than going for it- I will never understand that approach from management. As others have pointed out some good forwards on the team- hopefully they will continue their progress over the next few years .

When you go a goal down within 13 seconds, it's fairly ominous.

The management must have been asleep at the wheel, not to notice the ease with which Cork were winning virtually all the puck outs.

In the first half, Waterford couldn't win a 60/40 ball, never mind a 50/50 ball. To be fair, they came away with the ball from a number of rucks in the 2nd half.

The Cork players clearly targeted Fitzgerald at every opportunity, at one stage being sandwiched by 2 defenders. Their chief marksman (Leahy) was held relatively well from open play, given his exploits against Clare & Limerick.

You'd miss having a match to look forward to at the weekend. The last 4 weeks were great though and very nice to get the chance to go too games

Interesting article

https://www.balls.ie/gaa/jamie-barron-liam-cahill-waterford-478451

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Gardner

Anyone see Stephen Bennett hitting Cahill into the chest at the first quarter break? there was certainly words between the two.

I'd say Cahill is gone and DMG will be first back in the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Just found what you are referring to................are you trolling or something, it was a major blow to the chest alright..........I don't know how can you extrapolate from this non-incident that Cahill is gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

It looked like Cahill was asking him about the frees that he missed as Bennett seemed to be pointing up across the field alluding to direction of the wind was blowing. Hardly a belt into the chest

So you reckon The same DMcG that couldn’t find a place for Stephen Bennett in his team, let him sit on the bench for the AI final v Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Pudz2180

Peter Casey cleared to play in the final!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

heard tonight that Conor Gleeson attended the hearing of his own accord in support of Casey to say there was nothing in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I presume it's the only way he really could have got off?

Fair play to Gleeson if true, obviously repaying the previous appeal support he has got over the last few seasons, for his minor indiscretions!!

Good luck to Casey.

It's strange that his appeal was dealt with very quickly, while (very ironically) Conor Gleeson was left out to dry during his appeal which dragged on almost interminably for what was a fairly innocuous offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

I have no idea if Conor attended. But these things rarely if ever come down to pleas & references from players etc.

It’s black & white, can you prove the rule he is charged with breaking is not the correct rule, or something similar. Who knows what was in the referee’s report, but attempting to strike with the head is a red card offence, as is striking with the head. No doubt there was a big legal team looking into it for them, but overall I think it’s for the better that he got off. A strange decision, yes. But he caused no harm at all in what he did, it was just incredibly foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,925 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Apparently all not well with the Bennetts and management, there's been a fall out. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Montys return

I've been around long enough to know Tipperary rumours have as much merit as Waterford rumours...absolutely zero

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

It was a virtual meeting ,so Gleason didn't attend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭seananigans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1gMYRJixk8&t=1s

congratulations to mayo,the waterford of football, drive it now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

I somehow think their 70 years of pain will continue.....this will be their 11th final appearance (i think) in about 30 years...... the KY lads will be too good for them......

And if they can win it hopefully the beginning of the end for All Ireland curses within the GAA

Other side of that would mean we would be the lone rangers in the GAA world regards not winning the big one. Michael Duignan sly remark about us after Limerick winning in 2018 still hurts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,554 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Well you know fair play to him if he did. He missed the final in 17 over the softest ever tap on Horgan's leg. I was sitting in the front row right beside it and it annoys me still how he went down.

Advertisement