Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Smoke Alarms

Options
  • 12-08-2021 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Good Morning All,

Quick question about hard wired smoke alarms if you don’t mind? Basically we had a post turn up on our local Facebook that referenced a smoke alarm (wired) that went on fire?? (The irony)

Now as a result of this post a lot of people in the estate are privy to the 10 year life span of a smoke alarm (me included, never knew this) I’ve purchased x3 new alarms to install but the connection that is on the old one will not work with the ones I bought, new one wires straight into the base and the smoke head slides on from the side! Would it be ok for me to snip away the connector and use the wires left to wire into the new unit? Image of old smoke alarm attached.

Thanks in advance,

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Smoke detectors should not go on fire even when the expiry date has long past, but I guess you know this. Most likely you will find that the existing smoke detectors are wired to a junction box just above the smoke detector. I would wire the new ones directly to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭matjay

Thanks for the input 2011,

My plan was just to clip the connector off and wire into the new unit after stripping back the wires minus the connector, I take it this will be fine? The connectors wires from the old alarm are connected to a strip connector just inside, no sign of a junction box, I feel that would have been more money the developer would have had to spend at the time!!

Here's the post re the smoke alarm, needless to say it has given most a fright, my alarm expired 2019 so need to get them swapped out asap. Like you I was very surprised to here of one catching fire!! Maybe the issue lies elsewhere ??

Thanks

J

That was my 1st thought too tphase, the other seems to be a carbon monoxide detector!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

I see you have an ionisation detector - it should be noted that these are seldom the appropriate choice of alarm (except perhaps in the like of a bedroom where there are already optical/photoelectric detectors in escape routes etc.).

People often buy ionisation because they're cheaper - not because they're the correct alarm type to fit.

Personally I would also stick with Ei Electronics detectors. It is also critical that different makes of alarms are NOT mixed on interlinked detector circuits.

I.S. 3218 should also be complied with as well as I.S. 10101.

Those are the old alarms in the house we bought over 10 years ago (new build) . I know there are different elements to each type of alarm ionisation being more reliable in detecting flames rather then smoldering fires like the photoelectric does.

Some say have both installed in your home, I was going to install photoelectric in the living room and hall and ionisation in the landing.

I did think that they where interconnected and bought x3 of the same, but their not so I guess I can mix it up now.

Just wish the ones I got worked with the connector that's already fitted to the old ones.

• Advertisement

Understand that all has to follow regs too but I've done my fair share of swapping out light fixtures and changing sockets. Wouldn't take on anything like rewiring etc.

I'd just like to know if I could just clip the connector off the existing wires and use them rather then have to source cable for L, N & E and rig it with new cable.

Thanks for the reply 👍😊

Living Room, Hall & Landing should all be optical (photoelectric). As I said, if you have detectors in the bedrooms also then ionisation wouldn't be unreasonable for these.

Thank you, think I'll swap them out now for optical ones after this discussion. Glad I didn't go ahead and fit them now 👍

Thanks a million for the advise.

https://www.eurosales.ie/products/ei650c-optical-smoke-alarm-ei650c-1xen.html?name=Smoke%20alarm&type=simple

Those ones you linked aren't mains powered. Go for Ei146 or better still Ei3016 (with tamperproof Lithium battery for backup).

Advertisement