Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I have a business to run PJ, I cant spend my whole time ranting and raving on a forum like others on their employers time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Oh another "successful business man" graces us with his wisdom 🙄🤣

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Go back a page or two to your little "I told you so" moment. I'd dig it up but the way the site works now, it's not really workable for digging up quotes.

Hannan is a fool who sounds like a philosopher but a fool nonetheless with little grasp on history, politics, economics or, often even reality. He's the sort of grubby little tapeworm who'd flog the state if he could for a slice of the pie.

Anyway, I'm not really interested in this latest tangent of yours.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

You should talk to eskimohunt, apparently he is earning 6 figures running his own business without lifting a finger.

You must be doing something wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Can you identify a political party or individual in active politics today anywhere who you think ascribes to the same politics as you do?

I'm asking because you make a lot of vague statements suggesting things are clear and obvious but you neither explain how so or identify people who conform to a particular ideology.

If you were in the UK, and Farage was on the ticket, would you vote for him?

It wasn't an "I told you so" moment.

It was a case where more needs to be done to stop migrant drownings. His death was entirely preventable. That's the scandal.

Call that a tangent if you wish, but it's quite evidently something worth discussing.

It's hard to simplify, because you cannot agree with every facet of every politician or public figure you listen to.

You can largely agree, to some extent, rather than become a non-thinking disciple.

I would say that my politics would be a synthesis between Farage and Hannan. I don't agree with everything each says, but broadly subscribe to the direction that both are trying to take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Thomas Markle...christ they're really scraping the bottom of the barrel now. Pathetic loser of a man so at least he'll have that in common with Wootton.

Why is Thomas Markle a "pathetic loser"?

I'm not defending him. I scarcely know anything about him, but just curious to learn your interpretation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

"The royals owe me, Harry owes me, Meghan owes me. What I’ve been through, I should be rewarded for… My daughter told me when I reach my senior years, she’ll take care of me.”

From a documentary where he spent the entire time playing the hard done by father and whining about his lot.

He also released a private letter from Meghan and threatened to do a major interview about her every month until he heard from her.

Nothing but a scumbag.

Pretty much like every guest Farage has on his show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

He took money to fake photos of himself before his daughters wedding (the reveal of which triggered likely stress-related health issues causing him to have to miss his daughters wedding), and then because she was upset at him he repeatedly did media interviews saying he wouldn't stop doing media interviews until she spoke to him even though him continuing to do media interviews was why she wouldn't speak to him, and he and several others from his side of Meghan's family keep speaking to the media badmouthing decisions she's made. Hell Thomas Markle practically became the Daily Mail and Piers Morgan's go-to correspondent any time she or the Royal Family made significant news. Again, all the while speaking out publicly about her and how she won't talk to him, while displaying all the reasons why she shouldn't.

Regardless of what anyone thinks Meghan Markle, her father is an odious sh*tebag.

I do / have had my suspicions about him.

The fact that he repeatedly feeds himself to the media, presumably for a handsome fee, would justify Meghan's attitude toward him.

That said, I do find Meghan to be quite a psychopathic character who appears to be willing to climb any social ladder no matter what it takes.

Maybe both are peas in the same pod. Just one has won, the other has lost.

• Advertisement

What about her is psychopathic, out of morbid curiosity?

I mean, comparing a charity drive by a successful footballer to the actions of a sick paedophile is a trait that I'd attribute to psychopaths.

Same with torturing people for not liking the 'correct' gender.

I'm intrigued to know what about Meghan Markle strikes you as the actions of a psychopath, given we've heard her speak what, twice in the past 5 years?

Body language, perhaps.

If you've ever dealt with a psychopath, you'll know what I'm talking about. I have, and it's not pleasant - let me assure you (** note, that when I say psychopath, I don't mean mass murderer, but rather the standard clinical definition).

Meghan's performance during the Oprah interview revealed not so much "lies", but deliberate misapplications of the truth. Yet another characteristic of the standard psychopath.

So, it doesn't need to be either / or; that the binary choice is either pro-Meghan or pro-Thomas.

Sometimes, the truth is ugly, where both sides deserve condemnation in their own way.

I believe this to be one such example.

The works of Uwe Boll frequently get huge amounts of discussion, it's not in relation to him being hugely successful. It's more cause he's a bit of a dumbass who frequently does stupid things such as challenging critics to boxing matches. Fans are in a minority.

Plenty of inventing businesses these days tbh....

Erm

not so much "lies", but deliberate misapplications of the truth. Yet another characteristic of the standard psychopath.

Haven't you had plenty of "deliberate misapplications of the truth" on this thread?

Are you a psychopath?

Hmmm, now you're a psychologist based on supposed exposure to a psychopath.... Is there a scenario you haven't faced? I hope to god they don't do a segment on the rise of necrophilia or grave robbing.......

• Advertisement

Anyone who has experience of a psychopath, according to the standard definition, will know exactly what I'm talking about.

You don't need to be a psychologist to identify that kind of person, in the same way you don't need a degree to identify a narcissist - of which Instagram is filled aplenty.

Can you tell me what attributes listed in your link you would say Megan Markel has shown?

If you cannot identify any, then she has succeeded in convincing you that she isn't a psychopath.

That's precisely why these kinds of people always, always rise to the top.

Master manipulators.

You clearly believe that Meghan Markle is the Mother Teresa from San Diego. You're welcome to that belief.

Eh, firstly I don't believe you have ever met a psychopath. Cause you have a story for every occasion which you use in a lame effort to bolster your argument. You cannot identify a personality disorder based on tv interviews or social media accounts. In the case of Markle, I suspect you're more easily influenced by suppositions from tabloid trash than anything else. Worrying state of affairs for MENSA though.

No I don't believe that, but I see that you have (yet again) refused to follow through and answer a question.

What attributes listed in your link do you think Megan Markel has? Surely you can name two or three that you can identify which would explain your swiftness to label her (something you keep saying others shouldn't do) a psychopath.

In my view, the psychopathic traits she demonstrates include:

• superficial charm
    • high intelligence
    • pathological egocentricity
    • lack of remorse or shame
    • grandiose sense of self-worth
    • manipulative behaviour
    • pathological lying

You'll disagree with the above. I expect it. But that's precisely why psychopaths are so dangerous.

You see Thomas Markle as the enemy. Perhaps he is (but maybe she is, too). Based on what I've learned from other posters, he's an idiot.

But that doesn't mean Meghan is some saint from California.

Both can be at fault. To have this simplistic narrative, that just one is at fault, is just embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 22meehoovereinenschaft22

I'm rather enjoying Nigel Farage's show, and Dan Wootten has some interesting guests on.

In the past I might have turned on the TV and had Sky News or BBC on in the background. Now it tends to be GB News.

Wishing them well.

I don't believe you.

I suspect that you're trying to gain a reaction. Please, others: ignore him.

But what has she done for you to choose those reasons? List the things she has done that match up to your list above. I don't know much about her other than she married Prince Harry and was on some T.V show.

So please, for those of us that don't know her or what she has done why not list an instance where she has done something that matches the things mentioned in your list.

Going by their previous claims, most likely because she is mixed race and does charity work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 22meehoovereinenschaft22

What? I'm just saying that I have enjoyed watching these two shows on occasion.

I'm not trying to get a response. If others don't enjoy their output, fair enough.

There's no need to be so suspicious and confrontational.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,906 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Only eskimohunt may enjoy GBNews, he's the only GBNews watcher in this village.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The Thomas Markle interview recorded on the back of a spoon, ffs, could they not have sent him a quality burner phone with decent 4G connection, circa €300 worth, bloody joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,159 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Wake up and now the circus has moved on to how Megan Markle is very probably a psychopath; gotta love armchair psychoanalysis. And up there with Greta Thunberg, the almost Pavlovian, outsized reaction to a prominent female public figure is so weird - if it wasn't a little depressingly unsurprising.

Speaking as someone who generally thinks monarchial systems are a pox upon humanity, I still feel sympathy for Markle; she would have known her private life was about to become very public when she started dating Yer Man (I'm too lazy to even check which one it is), but she hasn't deserved the vicious dogpiling either, GB News adjacent figures like Piers -bitter cos she ghosted me- Morgan stoking the flames.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭KildareP

Triggering jackets, psychological evaluations, calculation of income tax for those earning 6-figure salaries, calibration of the moral compass left-vs-right, the impact of Youtube subscriber numbers on the viability (or not) of a broadcast television channel.

Who knew GB News could bring such important and enlightening topics of discussion to the fore? Certainly not me for one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

For alpha male business men with 6 figure earnings, they do seem to spend an awful amount of time on here 🤔

Meghan Markle is like marmite in the sense that their are two camps. The first sees her in a neutral, maybe even positive light, thinking she was a naive young woman who was overwhelmed by the intrusion of privacy by the media and couldn't take the goldfish bowl life.

The other camp sees through all the lies, half-truths and deflections and follows the breadcrumbs to reach the logical conclusion - she is a Grade A narcissist, attention seeker and relationship-wrecker.

• Advertisement

You've clearly never heard of passive styles of income. 😉

Just noticed that 750+ people are watching GB News on their YouTube Live channel.

The average at this time last week was 300.

But complain about people posting on here "on their companies time", doesn't realise people don't all work 9-5 or are even in same time zones 😁🤣

But my central conclusion is incontrovertibly true: that most of those people are lazy!

No, thats just your snobbish way of looking down on people you think are beneath you.

The new presenting panel each morning is Patrick Christys (formerly of TalkRadio) and Mercy Muroki.

Mercy Muroki is a young black woman from Kenya.

Why would she join a "racist, xenophobic, ethno-nationalist channel"? @ancapailldorcha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. She could very likely be a thundering b*tch who enjoys the fame and profile, and puts on a sheen of charity in public while being a b*tch to people behind the scenes. But from people's complaints and treatment of her, you'd swear she planned 10 years ago to take down the Royal Family in order to maybe sell some childrens books, all the while bending Prince Harry, a decorated soldier who has done combat tours, completely to her will by, like, crying and stuff. Because she's an actress and can do that.

Again, I've no love for Meghan Markle. I hate her father but that's simply based on his actions, not hers. But the attitude the likes of Piers Morgan and other Daily Mailers have towards her is based on very little other than their own opinion, which can just as easily be wrong or OTT. Sometimes when people "see through" a person, they're just seeing what they want to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

You are forgetting the 3rd camp who really couldn't care less about what she says or does and cannot understand those in the 2nd camp who get so obsessed over someone who has literally done nothing to them and will never have any direct impact on their lives.

"If you cannot identify these traits, then she has succeeded in convincing everyone that she's not a psychopath".......or, y'know........Occam's razor might indicate that she's actually NOT a psychopath and that the logical reason for somebody not picking up on these traits is because they aren't there?

You'll have to forgive my rampant skepticism in your pseudo-intellectual ability to diagnose a severe, psychological disorder based on nothing more than "uh.....I dunno, perhaps her body language and that one time I thought she lied to Oprah and the usual redtops went ballistic".

It's clear your opinion of her is tainted by your news sources and, in a vain attempt to lend credence to that opinion, you are inventing a reason for your dislike of her. The usual rags don't like her because she's a) brown skinned and b) not overly enamoured with the whole 'royalty' thing, which any chest-thumping, red-blooded Englishman cannot understand. So they started a smear campaign against her, and you've fallen for it - You can hide behind your convenient "experience of dealing with psychopaths" all you want, but, in my mind, someone who is willing to make **** up in an effort to discredit a person they don't like for any logical reason is the REAL psychopath.

• superficial charm - "I've a 6-figure salary, me"
    • high intelligence - "I can spot a psycho, me"
    • pathological egocentricity - "she's fooled all you idiots, but when you're as adept at spotting psychos as I am....."
    • lack of remorse or shame - "I never compared him to Jimmy Saville.....despite saying 'My comparison with Jimmy Saville stands'"
    • grandiose sense of self-worth - "she's fooled all you idiots, but when you're as adept at spotting psychos as I am..."
    • "manipulative behaviour - "We should all castigate this kind, charitable man because there's an unconfirmed report coming out which I think means he should be compared to the two largest celebrity paedophiles this century, who's with me?"
    • pathological lying - "I never compared him to Jimmy Saville......despite saying "My comprison to Jimmy Saville stands'"

Sauce for the goose, to quote another poster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

How is this incontrovertibly true? All you've given in evidence of this truth is your opinion? For it to be incontrovertibly true you require at least a tiny smidgen of evidence that is not just an opinion.....

Her floating accusation that a member of the royal family is racist was particularly disgusting, at a time when Prince Philip was in hospital.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd disband every Royal Family in Europe in the morning, move 'em all to council flats 5 minutes afterwards - but the obsession "the internet" brought upon Markle and the like was unreal, and utterly disproportionate to any kind of "offence" caused. Not that I can fathom any. Is Markle a manipulator? Why does it even matter?

There are plenty of arch manipulators in the world - many of them in positions of power - so not quite sure why Megan Markle, mediocre actor & now quasi-royal, was especially deserving of this "outing" by some. Spurred on by a middle-aged man butthurt 'cos she ghosted him after a "date". But then it's easy to commit ones emotional energy to sledging a female celebrity, than chasing targets that actually matter and have a quantitative negative impact on the world.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement