Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MOTORCYCLE ROAD TAX

Options
  • 27-07-2021 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi

Just put my motorcycle back on the road .It WAS GARAGED SINCE 2014.No problem insuring it but they want nearly 800euro in road tax.What can

i do to avoid paying this.I now know i should have filled in some form every year it was off the road.HELP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,383 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you sold it to a friend or family member and then a week later bought it back the outstanding charges would disappear, perfectly legal to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭vietnam5

If I sell the bike to a friend they would have to insure it to tax it .Its a 750cc do they have to have the correct license to insurance thar bike

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

As above. "Sell it" to a friend and then "buy it" back in your name. Whole process should take no more than 3 weeks. Done this 3 times now with bikes and cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭cococoady

Used to be able to get the Gardai to sign a form to say it has been off the road

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Absolutely. SELL it to a friend, get him to tax it. Then he changes his mind and sells it back to you. No insurance required

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

That was stopped 8 years ago.

How could anyone not know about SORD by now ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

Is a current and valid insurance policy not required to tax a vehicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Nope, you can input a load of nonsense Insurance characters into the online motor tax system and it will accept them as valid. I have not put my correct insurance policy number in to the system in at least a decade for any of the bikes or cars I have owned and always get the tax disc in the post.

Besides, the "friend" that the bike is sold to does not need to tax the bike anyway. A change of ownership can be done back to the original owner and then they will have the opportunity to tax it with no penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,957 ✭✭✭✭GBX

It asks for insurance details - whether you put the correct details in is up to you. You can make details up.

Advertisement