Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

Do you not have anything better to give out about? Seriously like.

Maybe wrap your head in tinfoil will help and start chopping down all the 5G antennas with an axe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,063 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

That's a bit" high moral ground " of you, Fintan .

Usually you are all about getting this over and getting people back to work as soon as possible , because oh the economic cost of this , and oh hospitality ...mental health...effects on those who are unable to go back to work !

Well @bodhrandude just wants to get back to work safely now , after doing his best for the last year and a half and putting up with enforced unemployment , and now numbers are low in hospital and most people are vaccinated , by a massive effort by most of society , including many young people btw, you pillory him ?

I don't understand your turnaround here Fintan .

I would have thought you would be speaking words of encouragement, instead of scolding him for going back to work !

Best of luck , bodhrandude 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I’m as consistent as I’ve always been, Im still about getting this over rapidly but it’s too late for this year

This summer is finished in Ireland now

Will the booster shots be administered in time for Summer 2022 in Ireland??

My initial point is that the op was previously content for Ireland to follow its own unique science regarding covid and public health advice and looked with great scorn upon those who didn’t follow said advice.

Why is the op of the opinion the public health advice is now to cautious when previously it wasn’t even though the numbers involved are similar to a few months ago

I’m trying to quantify what has been the lightbulb moment for some to realise the advice is ridiculously cautious because covid is here to stay and the public health advice in Ireland will be also

I don't understand why you are being so negative when it is obvious to most of us that we are coming out of this due to vaccinations , and even NPHET are being positive about it !

Come on Fintan , you weren't happy when we were really in lockdown either with high numbers in hospital and ICU and people dying .

You wanted to open everything up then , why change your opinion now ?

I’ve never said I want things to remain closed

I’m interested in how nPHEt are positive though, that’s an interesting one

Ireland has one of the highest vaccine uptake rates in Europe but is by far the most suppressed as seen by the limit on bodies allowed congregate in venues

if nPHEt were positive they would have have Ireland leading the way back to normality in Europe not some sound bites equivalent to getting a toddler to eat his turnip with the promise of ice cream

• Advertisement

People that died in ICU were at huge risk, and there was a meeting prior by health officials to warn of a pneumonic virus..yet the great HSE let it in and did feck all, then the blamed the public for their behavior thereafter.. you really need to take the blinkers off and stop cheerleading the very people getting paid huge sums of money whilst making a pigs mickey of the whole thing.

and what you chose to not understand would fill a a book. what do you work at can I ask? or what's your educational backround?

;)

The HSE left what in ??

Seriously, how do you expect me to understand never mind reply to that ..post ,and why are you attacking me ?

I agree . And agree with @bodhrandude that they have left the entertainment and concert industry completely out when opening up .

Ridiculous that only 200 can be in a big open park when you can have 24000 in Croker .

Ah here, on the 24th of April we had 8% of the population vaccinated, the vast majority were still very much at risk. The reason our cases were low at that time was because of lockdown measures which you have rallied against at every turn.

The vast majority of 92% were very much at risk of what Johnny? infection? sickness? Lets call the majority of 92% say 50% ok? fair.

According to PRIME TiME, 40% of people with covid are asymptomatic? they don't even know they have it. what are the other 10% at risk of? if we consider your remaining 50-92% fall into the symptomatic and mildly so category.

Funnily enough 92% of deaths' were over 75 years old and sick with underlying conditions. remember when you go to a care home it's because you cannot even get to the toilet on your own, or you leave a gas on, or you are in and out of hospital ill most other times. In fact it's with great anxiety that most families send their parents to such places based on the shyte level of care that's been exposed in umpteen primetime investigates programs. Make no mistake, those deaths were preventable, they were due to HSE cock ups and now that number is used forever ad nauseum as a benchmark for Covid mortality in Ireland. It's bullshit.

• Advertisement

The discussion was about people like yourself and your contempt towards those who question public health advice.

but now the ones who held others to such high standards for so long aren’t applying those standards to themselves

i find it interesting and I will do my best to hold you to the standards you set for me

Covid bad with 5,000 deaths or so with most with an underlying illness and a lot were contracted where people were on the way out allready in nursing homes or caught in hospitals.

Its highly contagious.

Most people that have it don't even realize they have it. The 200,000 infections is probably light, the real number is triple or quadruple the number.

With the current numbers of infections daily if it was the normal flu we would have 50 times more in hospital.

Its over.

Time to move on.

If your afraid of covid stay home.

You were chasing after Bodhrandude asking what was now different. April was very f**king different, and I've given you the information that clearly shows that. Ignore anything that doesn't suit your bias like you always do.

It's not speed dating FFS, you're comeback tells me all I need to know.

We'll move on so.

Its always better not to curse during a discussion it comes across poorly tbh

Either way the public health advice was the standard our society was following and you and others were holding other citizens to that standard. Now you seem to be of the opinion that advice is too cautious, but its still the rules

I always thought the advice was to cautious, however I never looked with contempt on those who bent the rules slightly after 13 months or even ever bent the rules, once they didn't hold others to different standards than themselves

Yes please do. You asked me to tell you about myself . Why should I ?

You are just trying to bait me as if you have been reading the thread over the last 18 months , you know what I do . I have never been secretive about it .

But likewise why should I tell you all about myself , when you appear to be so combative and ready to judge me ?

If you ask that of someone in that manner , do you really expect anyone to answer / engage ?

So yes , I don't want to engage with you/ have no interest in answering your questions about my personal life .

Ignore.

It's not that the advice is too cautious it's that the government who should be making decisions have all gone on holidays and allowed a situation to continue which should have been modified .

There needs to be a plan of action for a section of industry that was completely ignored when the ministers were making plans for GAA matches and pubs .

That's what you get when you let gombeens in charge .

NPHET can't change anything without MM and his motley crew around to implement it .

Where are you getting the idea NPHET arent to blame and want to relax measures???

The only reason weddings saw an increase in numbers was because Tony and co was ignored

“We didn’t get any specific advice from NPHET on this so this is very much a decision of Government,” he said.

Asked whether it would have been prudent to seek public health advice, he noted that NPHET had not supported the previous increase from 25 to 50 guests.

“The advice, as you know, previously was not to go from 25 to 50 but we took a decision that we would go to 50 and we have taken a decision now as a government - one that I strongly support - that we should allow 100 to attend weddings – well certainly the reception.”

Make no mistake, NPHET are the reason Ireland is following different science to the rest of Europe despite excellent vaccination numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

You are defending the indefensible, and to be fair to that other poster he didn't even try to justify himself or deny it.

He castigated kids in Galway for not following the so called "rules", but come the time when those rules actually started to affect him he immediately pivoted to publicly disagreeing with them. Thats pretty goddamn hypocritical.

Its reflective of a wider issue in Irish society, a whole swathe of people cheerleading for these measures that don't actually affect them and sneering at those who are affected. But we all know that if it was their job on the line their sanctimony would redirect in an instant.

The only reason the advice was changed was because Varadkar and others were partying in the Merrion.

Are you so disingenuous you are now standing up for those self interested entitled bunch who last year brought us Golfgate , this year Merriongate ?

Everyone including the restaurant and hospitality industry were totally blindsided by this announcement .

Why ? Because it was not scheduled to be announced until they had no choice .

Otherwise Leaky would for sure not have been able to keep his trap zipped , don't you think ?

Or are you a fan?

Okay.🙄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Tweaked slightly:

"It's reflective of a wider issue in Irish society, a whole swathe of people cheerleading for allowing the spread of a disease that doesn't actually affect them and sneering at those who can be affected. But we all know that if it was their health on the line their sanctimony would redirect in an instant."

Not that I'm denying some compromise is obviously needed, but pretending either faction is innocent of focusing on their own self-interests is a bit rich.

My point was in response to you suggesting nPHEt would recommend relaxing measures only the govt are on holidays

Thats not true and I was linked an article that highlighted nPHEt only recommend 25 to attend a wedding

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

You know what Fintan, the squeeze isn't worth the juice. The more people like B and others that now decide it's time to move on regardless of the current "guidelines" the better. It means we are slowly getting to a place where even ardent supporters of previous restrictions see it as too much. That is a good thing in my book. Has it taken far too long? Of course, but we are getting there. I don't think trying to hold people to their previous standards does any good. Only they know why they were so for lockdown and restrictions before but now feel happy to do their own thing.

I understand the reasoning for wanting to ask the questions but really we are better off encouraging more people to do this in a positive manner. It means we are getting closer and closer to an end of this.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

NPHET don't want any further relaxation of restrictions until the end of September at the earliest. They made that clear in their advice to government when they presented their models. Remember the "choice" open indoor with vaccine passports or keep them shut till the end of September at the earliest. In fact, I believe NPHET would be more than happy for the current restrictions to be left in place over the winter to protect the HSE. The government are going to have to start going against their "advice" more and more now if we are to have a path out of all restrictions.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

You've been against restrictions from the get go due to the economic repurcussions.

Then having a go at a poster who will be working outside which is not against the restrictions as far as I can see.

I honestly can't understand you're stance here at all, only reason I can see is to 'one up' a poster.

Also, why do you keep referring to NPHET as nPHEt, is it something childish? If you reply saying its something to do with not recognising them as the public body responsible for public heath during this we'll that's also childish.

I think you are definitely stretching with your posts now but sure you'll respond not addressing any of the above with 'the economy'.

Comical.

What point are you trying to make here? It’s not particularly clear and ironically a cheap shot to “get one up on a poster”

comical

I get the impression you also hold others to a different standard than you hold yourself

I use my phone and it auto corrects to that mix of cases when typing out the name, sorry for causing offence

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭wpd

something is not adding up with government numbers i think

155 deaths from covid since april 2021 however only 7 of these were fully vaccinated

given that over 70% of adult pop vaccinated how can this be, were the 148 deaths in 20 something year olds??

number of daily infections/ hospitalisations and icu numbers are as high as early Jan before mass vaccine roll out so there is no sign that

the vaccines have slowed down the spread at all

What am i missing, these numbers don't make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

The Government like to fudge the numbers, if you died and had COVID but it wasnt caused by COVID, they counted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

70% of adults are now fully vaccinated, they haven't been since April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

The point is blatantly obvious but as usual you use defection rather than addressing any of it. The point is you've been against restrictions all the way through but then then call someone out on what they said ages ago and are apparently 'flouting' said restrictions which they aren't. And I'm not trying to 'one up' you, I'm genuinely curious as to why your stance has changed. If you were so anti restrictions why are you singling out a poster who can under the current restrictions work outside?

I also don't hold anyone to any standard, that's their business, I'll look after myself.

Also, there isn't any irony here, they are genuine questions that I don't expect you to answer.

There is no hypocrisy in what the poster is doing.

Also, again what's with the 'nPHEt?

Advertisement