Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Yeah menu disappears for me too once I scroll.

Also, I really liked the fixed bar 🙁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭mossie

Also, now when I click on the three lines menu at the left of the bar all the categories are expanded and can't be collapsed. Android / Edge and Chrome

• Registered Users Posts: 10,101 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭archfi

Top bars normally appear dynamically - there when you land on the page, disappear when you scroll down, appears when needed again (ie, scroll up or touch screen without scrolling)

It's pretty standard for mobile

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

That would be fine as long as you don't need to scroll all the way up to find it.

• Advertisement

You shouldn't - as I said if implemented correctly it reappears dynamically as you gesture up/touch. A thin top bar with hamburger menu/title/search/profile icons could be always visible then the dynamic menu visible as needed. Here, both are permanently visible

I've a large phone screen but loads of people don't.

PS, i've just noticed the permanent top bar (double the size it should be) is gone now! It's changed colour (I like) but completely disappears as before.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,101 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

That's what lots of us aren't happy with. It wasn't permanent for even 24 hours!! I've an Xperia 10ii and certainly didn't think it took up too much of my screen.

I think this isn't the final state of it, I'd guess they are updating as they go through the day.

Maybe behind the scenes, the site can adjust to phone model/screen size (ie small screen no huge fixed bar) - that would be ideal. I understand the need for not scrolling the whole way back up which is ridiculous - on desktop there still isn't a 'back-to-top' button and each thread page is set as something like 30 posts and there's loads of whitespace so for mouse users it's a scrolling chore.

Let's hope the final iteration caters to everyone and normal navigation specs!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭wally79

I think if it was persistent but half the size it was yesterday that would be an acceptable compromise

Although maybe they should wait for a boards user to come up with a fix judging by the changes to the top bar this morning

This is what I get when I open the menu. Categories expanded and can't be collapsed. Android, every browser I've tried.

• Advertisement

Normally they are half the size, I can't believe i'm using RTE as a good example but I am :)

Also why are usernames so small now

All switched back to yesterday’s version now

Top bar is back to persistent now and categories can be collapsed

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Sorry for the change to mobile navigation everyone, but should be back to the way it was yesterday (good news for some, less good for others I know). We are keeping track of feedback relating to behaviour and appearance so thank you for your comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

If you look at e.g. the Irish Times website, that banner/ navigation bar at the top dissappears when scrolling down, but reappears when scrolling up - perhaps that could be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Dang....I much preferred the way it was this morning. 😆

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I am not a fan of the persistent top bar on mobile. At the very least it should be an option. Same for the one on desktop.

• Advertisement

I'd have no problem with a bar that disappears and reappears when needed as long as the bar is there when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,591 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

What do the prison bars mean?

I had assumed it meant banned but people with them can still post

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 25,591 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Sorry it appears over some people's profile picture

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,229 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's called 'Jail', it means they are one warning away from a ban I think. I think they are limited in how much they can post and aren't allowed to start threads while in jail. Vanilla has automated sitebans so if someone picks up enough infractions/warnings in a short space of time it sitebans them for a while but before that it puts them in 'Jail'.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I can't see it on mobile, are inmates notified of their incarceration?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

I like the new breadcrumbs, where you can navigate to parent forums from a subforum. We didn’t have that before - not on the mobile anyway. Cool improvement!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,229 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Not sure, they do get notifications if they receive a warning though I'm pretty sure. I think those show up as PMs still.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

New banner/ navigation menu looking good on Mobile.

Suggestion: the Boards.ie logo in the banner should link to a users 'my bookmarks'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I really like the new one line sticky header on mobile.

Good balance between showing relevant info and not taking up too much space.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement