Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prosecutions of British military veterans in Northern Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

It is a very reasonable question to ask if one is talking about the sensitivities of the matter, especially from elected officials. It's pure hypocrisy but par of the course really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Why should he? Overall the armed struggle was justified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I see your reading comprehension is on par with your ability to remain on topic, Mark.

Especially from elected officials?! No, Mark. I commented suggesting that posters could show sensitivity.....your buddy Blanch went off on a non-sequitur about elected officials. It would take a pretty skewed reading to come away thinking the topic was especially referring to elected officials.

Pure hypocrisy? Perhaps we'll take you with Blanch when we're off having basic definitions explained to him.....or you could explain precisely what is hypocritical about my position, which while acknowledging your continued whataboutery still explicitly confirmed that I found the tweet in question highly distasteful. It's like you didn't even bother reading what you were replying to and just decided to have another off topic whinge. Quite sad really.

OK, so the posters of boards.ie should be held to a higher standard than elected political figures... makes total sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70,127 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Very sad. No justice received.

The governments don't have long left here to deal effectively and morally correctly with legacy issues.

It is beyond a doubt that they are waiting for the problem to 'die' off, sadly.

Tbf soldier G is long dead,killed in.action afaik

Not sure are we allowed name him.though?

Indeed, plenty of people on all sides dying off, and the window for justice is closing, from people in Derry to those killed in Birmingham.

Simply put, it suits all sides to let this issue die. The British government doesn't want to throw their security forces under the bus and Republicans don't want any light shone on the inner workings of the PIRA, who did what, who ordered what, and who was talking to the British all along...

I will remind you again that 'Republicans' have worked (as they said they would) with the ICLVR. A process in which has resulted in this being said by those who ran it.

The ICLVR demonstrates that this type of mechanism can be trusted. That the ICLVR has been seen to work by those intended to engage with the ICIR mechanism is important: It’s something practical that you can point to, to the ex-combatant or former security force constituency to say: this thing can work. Because the misgivings for them will be, well why…should we if we’re liable to be prosecuted…you can say: this worked.

6. Indeed, one senior Republican ex-combatant interviewed for this research elucidated this: we in the political ex-prisoner community did…a series of meetings and talks with people…about…how they would feel about becoming involved in a process of truth recovery…what we had in mind was some sort of a process whereby people on a collective basis could be requested to give information to a group of very trusted and confidential comrades…And the example that we used was the process of the recovery of the remains. And in the main, most guys would have been comfortable with that.

7. The Importance of Leadership

Effective leadership from those involved in these processes is extremely important. With regards the ICLVR, leadership has been essential for both the ICLVR and Republicans engaging with the search process.

Once the Republican leadership – both Sinn Féin and the IRA – engaged with this issue properly and created their own structures in order to manage it, that’s when the issue begins to be resolved.

They have also consistently called for a Truth Recovery process to deal with Legacy issues. The British/Unionists/Loyalists have actually ruled this out and like the Protocol have offered no alternative. The Irish government has also reneged on coming up for any plan to deal with legacy issues, but has to it's credit dealt with revelations about collusion that has emerged.

So my point stands, those responsible - the governments - have failed to deal with these legacy issues as they committed to in various agreements.

I will add why I think that is - because one of them was a major combatant in the conflict/war here and is majorly responsible for what happened here.

dempster180418.pdf (niassembly.gov.uk)

Post edited by FrancieBrady on

It suits noone to let this die,ive no issue with anyone knowing the inner workings of anything......trauma such as homelessness,murder,early tragic deaths is passed down through generations

Its pure projection from yous,thinking everyone wants the same,have truth/justice and let cards fall where they want,if it costs few seats in elections,what of it,.....the truth will set yous free,a utd ireland is coming irregardless of any election results

• Advertisement

There is no one stopping anyone from terrorist organisations coming out with the truth.

Give to them,the same offer as was offered to.soldiers at saville (IE no prosectution,if evidence provided is true).....this point needs telling.much more,as the british government (along side unionist politians)outright ignores this to stir outrage surronding his prosecution....but he had chance to imdemify himself,but choose to continue label victims gunmen and bombers instead

No one is going to prosecute anyone, hence why there is no humane reason why terrorist outfits cannot come out and help victims get some peace with what happened.

They will of course prosectute them,its a reasonable expectation that they would...ffs they were extraditing john downey not so long ago🤣🤣

Your position is weak in terms of facts and logic kid.....fundamentally the british will eventually turn over this law,as johnson wont always be PM (,likely to win 2 elections though imo),a,case by case reassurance would be necessary imo

Do people like yourself think through their suggestions before typing them?

What Loyalist or Republican leader is going to start handing up people? Have you any idea what would hapen if they unilaterally began that process?

The only way this is going to happen is in a process similar to the LVR one. Where there is trust and where EVERYONE who was a combatant or involved in the conflict/war is at the table in an open and transparent process.

There is NO 'other' way it is going to happen and that is why the torturously delicate agreement to set up a legacy framework was agreed in the Stormont House agreement. The first and biggest finger you should be pointing is at the two governments who have so far welched on that agreement.

No, they won't. If the British are not going to prosecute their own for events that happened up to 50 years ago, they are not going to drag some 70 year old terrorist to the courts for something he did 50 years ago.

Post GFA, is a different story of course...

You give a very good insight into what the leadership of terrorist outfits thinks. Optics above all else.

As I said, you missed the keyword of my sentence, so I will repeat it.

There is no humane reason why terrorist outfits cannot come out and help victims get some peace with what happened.

No, of course, we know terrorists are not humane, they are the opposite, of course, so I guess you may be right, a leopard doesn't change its spots. They couldn't care less about the victims of their atrocities. At least the British tried to help after the fact with some inquests and inquiries.

'Humane'?

Any attempt to hand up people who committed acts could (most likely would) result in a bloodbath in which innocent people would suffer again.

Think these things through Mark, the people who negotiated the agreement that gave the responsibility for a proper legacy process to the only parties that can instigate one, certainly did.

You'd love to see the whole place crash and burn.

What are you blathering on about? Why are you talking about handing people over to be 'executed' in some way, as if this will usher in a new conflict. Are you mad?

I am talking about helping the victims of the troubles get to the truth of the matter, as is the most humane thing to do, after all these years. E.g. The Birmingham Bombings happened 47 years ago. The people who did that are at least in their late 60's now. The victims are not looking for revenge, they are looking for truth. The hows and why. Maybe even a 'sorry' or some passing regret, maybe even a statement saying it was wrong and shouldn't have happened. Crumbs maybe but it could be something. Instead, we get...... nothing but silence, omerta and no passing regret, no sorry, no remorse..... nothing.

But, you make a good political case for the status quo, hence why one should take with a piece of salt the talk about truth and reconciliation from those parties with terrorist links in the North. Talk a good game, but never deliver on the field of play.

I have told why it will not happen the way you think it should.

That is my opinion, I see no circumstances where ONE group will begin the process. The IRA have been categorical about how they will do it and the terms.

That was accepted at government level and those governments committed to setting up a framework where legacy issues could be dealt with.

This isn't some saccharine TV mini series Mark where good triumphs over evil.

On the topic of the thread, how do you rate the 'humanity' of the British government on these legacy issues?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,637 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

And still not a word from Mark about British Military Veterans on this thread about British Military Veterans. I thought you'd already been told to knock it off with the whataboutery?

Then perhaps read my earlier posts about the British.

To add, I have repeatedly said, that soldier F should be tried at court and sentenced if found guilty. I have no problem with rouge British Security personal being held accountable.

I do have a problem with hypocrisy as well.

It won't happen, because those terrorists involved are thinking politically about the issue, not humanely about the issue. That's the nub of it. At least you agree that politics trump humanity.

The British could have done better for sure, but if you want to rank them, then the British are far more open and transparent than any of the Terrorist organisations. Multiple Prime Ministers have apologised in the House of Commons for misdeeds by the British Security forces.

On the other side.... tumbleweed, deflection and feigned ignorance on the issues. Indeed we have politicians extolling the virtues of terrorists, celebrating them, their actions and their murders and when questioned we are told, that 'we dont understand'. We understand alright, there is a core group of people who to this day will defend murder carried out for a political non-democratic cause.

The IRA apologised for the hurt and deaths they caused long ago.

Have to laugh...sorry, at your contention that the British have been open and transparent. What an insult to those who have fought for justice...ordinary Irish people.

The reason this thread exists is the lack of humanity in the British who campaigners fought for over 40 years to get to this point, and 'justice' was swiped away from them.

The number of British who have faced justice for their crimes is still in single figures while hundreds have faced justice from the paramilitary organisations. Their crimes were either covered up and in some cases celebrated or simply ignored by various levels of the British establishment and government.

'Rogue members'...jesus christ!

A glib general apology doesn't cut the mustard, Francie, nor did it include the relatives, the mother and fathers who had to bury their sons killed by the PIRA. It would go a long way to actually helping victims find some truth, if they were bothered.

It is also a fact that the British have been far more open and transparent than any Terrorist organisation. This is just a fact. That is not to say they are 100% open or transparent, indeed I would like them to be more so, but it's still a fact that they have held public inquiries into things like Bloody Sunday, while terrorists keep quiet and indeed protect their own against the wishes of victims for some truth. Sure, SF was against the extradition of Real IRA members, who were accused of killing 29 people at Omagh. Why was that?

I am just stating the fact here.

Does not stack up.

You are once again bringing a sovereign government down to the same standards as paramilitary organisations.

How you can give credit to that government for how it treated your fellow Irish people seeking justice is an insult to those people.

Apologising for shooting down innocent people in the street after covering it up, utilising the judiciary to whitewash and fighting the victims for 40 and then hiding from bringing any of the perpetrators to justice for those 40 years and more is the very definition of 'glib'.

Refusing to introduce the framework to handle legacy issues that you agreed to do is also criminal at this stage as every dog in the street knows that they are just playing for time.

Of course, why wouldn't they when they have hat doffers and apologists for them who will publicly claim moral superiority on their behalf.

At what point made yous think the british are trustable?

What of their conduct here last several hundred years,made you think they are honourable,what of their conduct over brexit,makes you think their word is trustworthy.....

a leopard rarely changes its spots,its a fool would take em at their word,without legally binding assurenaces overseen by an outside group

In your efforts to try and nullify any good the British have done, you just admitted that the PIRA were worse than the British...

Good job!

And what does that post reveal about your goal here - vindication of the British at any cost to your credibility or self respect.

How satisfying it is to see that!

I didn't try to nullify anything, I pointed out the facts in relation to the thread topic and apparently annoyed your deferential allegiances.

• Advertisement

Vindication?

Did you miss my posts about those responsible in the British Security forces, being tried in front of a court of law?

What is your goal here, apart from laundering the truth?

Even you admit the terrorists were worse than the British.

Foot.in.mouth!

yeh, the 'rogues' in the British Army which neatly avoids the whitewashing and cover-ups which required more than rogue elements. Which neatly avoids the pointed attempts by the British to face up to what they did and their failure to implement legacy frameworks to continue avoiding it.

You insulted the campaigning of Irish victims with your simpering admission that it was just naughty rogues involved.

BTW, when your standards for the behaviour of a government sink to the same as those you have for a paramilitary organisation then it is YOU that has the problem not me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Agis_IV

Deluding yourself into believing that prosecuting old men for their conduct in a war is the ultimate symptom of the abject victim / conquered mentality that mainstream and dissident Republicans have.

I heard the war is over if you really choose.

A plaintive 'leave us alone' plea there Agis, won't butter no parsnips, as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Agis_IV

• Advertisement

I think its a reasonable comparison tbh

If the british soldiers,dislike having to take responsibilty for murders they committed here,maybe they shouldnt have committed them?

The IRA have and will be brought to justice when there is evidence. That is NOT the case with the British.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A number of posts deleted and one poster removed from the discussion (and all other discussions on the site)

Don't rise to the bait - we'll get to stuff once reported

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭political analyst

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,716 ✭✭✭✭maccored

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I hope John Pat Cunningham gets justice but no doubt the case will be put forward that Hutchings is too old and sick to go to prison even in the unlikely event he is found guilty.

Poor man had learing difficulties and they chased him into a field and shot him in cold blood.

Johnny Mercer is there as well backing this guy to the hilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Finally a post on the OP. This is the case of an armed soldier, shooting an intellectually disabled CIVILIAN, with a learning age of 6-8, not a member of any organisation, in the back. It has nothing to do with the IRA. It has nothing to do with Sinn Fein. Anymore than it has to do with the DUP or the INLA. This was cold blooded murder. A member of the British army murdering a British citizen.

A senior PSNI detective told the Hutchings trial today that interviews conducted in 1975 were sub-standard.

Why can't the hearing of evidence in the trial simply continue on the days when Hutchings is receiving dialysis?

Hutchings is in hospital. Trial adjourned.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-58924512

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Convenient for him he had to go to hospital just when the trial was starting up.

It wasn't just starting - it had already been on for five days.

The trial has been adjourned again - because Hutchings has Covid. Resumption of proceedings not possible until 8 November.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-58953131

Hutchings has died from Covid in Belfast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

https://mobile.twitter.com/J_Donaldson_MP/status/1450203193057632260

• Advertisement
Advertisement