Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Herd immunity is not going to happen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,085 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@Former Former Former wrote:

We are at 62% of the population fully vaccinated. When did anyone think 62% was going to be remotely enough for herd immunity? Even pre-Delta it needed to be much higher than that.

I guess I'm jumping the gun a bit based on countries like Iceland which are a little ahead of us (around 69% total pop. fully vaccinated).

From what I recall the original projections were 60% immunity based on an R0 of 2.5 (estimates from early 2020), which could be achieved in theory with around 70% of the population jabbed with a vaccine that reduced transmission by around 85%. There were other positive assumptions like children not being a major source of infection which have since been cast into doubt.

Do you think that herd immunity with normal levels of social contact is still achievable without some further breakthrough in vaccine development?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I think we will get to herd immunity - just not the level of herd immunity we enjoy from measles and diptheria. Most Irish people have never even seen a case of measles, let alone contracted it - that won't be the case for Covid, ever.

I think we'll get to the point whereby we can regard Covid like the flu - yes, there will always be people who catch it, get really sick and some will die, but most of us will not have to worry about it day to day.

However, that is a way off yet and the fastest way there is vaccine vaccine vaccine. Teenagers, kids, boosters for the vulnerable and probably boosters for those who got the AZ vaccine first time around. My concern is that when normal life starts to resume, people will become blase about the vaccines and then we slip back.

Why state the vaccine is useless then? Its not useless, at more than 6 months it still maintains almost 90% effectivity at preventing what was the primary goal, serious illness and death in the most vulnerable populations.

Over 75s had a 10% chance of death, under 40s had < 0.1% chance of death. A 90% reduction still leaves >10x rate of death in vaccinated elderly than unvaccinated young. It does not mean its a useless vaccine for the vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

We learn to live with it !!!

Thats what, as new variants emerge they will most likely be less severe albeit more transmissible.

This zero covid nonsense is pure fantasy, hopefully the world will be moving on and living with it, look at Norways announcement of all restrictions removed by late September - knowing that covid will still be spreading and causing serious illness and death in some - but this is inevitable.

Meanwhile Australia and NZ will still be screaming at their citizens that chatting is selfish and prepare for another "snap lockdown" in 5 years time ...

We protect them by vaccinating them, not much more we can do, would you like people to be locked into their homes Chinese style ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,683 ✭✭✭brickster69

I never disputed that, i acknowledged it.

more or less useless after six months for protecting the people from infection that first took the vaccine ie. the most vulnerable."

That is what i wrote, if others read interpret that as saying the whole vaccine is useless then what can i do ?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

@Former Former Former wrote:

I think we'll get to the point whereby we can regard Covid like the flu - yes, there will always be people who catch it, get really sick and some will die, but most of us will not have to worry about it day to day.

I always qualify things like this with, "Covid is not the 'flu", but sometimes is useful as a way for people to understand the nature of these things. If you've ever had 'flu, you know it doesn't fvck around. A little bit of fatigue, maybe a cough, some sniffles, a day or two on the couch watching TV, is a cold.

2-5 days of being able to barely drag yourself out of bed, staring into space because you basically have no energy for anything else, spiking fevers, brain fog so bad you may as well be dreaming, followed by 3 weeks of feeling a bit "off". That's 'flu.

If your relative over 65 contracts 'flu, there is a not insignificant chance that it will finish them off, especially if they have any pre-existing conditions. Thankfully the flu is considerably less contagious than we typically believe it to be, and as a result it's relatively rare to hear about someone's parent who got the flu and ended up dying a week later. But it happens, every year, all the time. It's just life.

The covid vaccine effectively brings us to the same place. That is, that statistically it will be unlikely for your elderly relative to die from it. The contagiousness will remain high, and people will catch it, but far fewer die from it. But some will die from it. And that is just life. We can't make covid an exception just because it's novel and just wait for an end that may never come.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Another chart from brickster69 that has failed to be understood by brickster69.

You've got to be one of those "funny diagram" parody accounts at this stage?

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Did hear a story also , loads of Olympic players all double vaccinated and lived in a bubble and still got Covid

7 Belgian people in an elderly home , all vaccinated and died with the Colombian virus no unvaccinated person was allowed to get near them so it brought in by vaccinated people

• Advertisement

I would guess this is their response to the low uptake in the religious groupings so try and stamp down infections elsewhere to protect those who won't protect themselves (but are politically powerful).

I've no doubt we'll see boosters for older people in Ireland, but the waning efficacy (and really it's not a big drop and is expected as it occurs with all vaccines) doesn't support a mass rollout unless you've already got a weak immune system.

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The most important piece of the Israeli puzzle is the vaccine take up by age cohort.

They only have around 90% of their over-60s vaccinated, the rest are holdouts (probably religious orthodox).

All of the data coming out of Israel says that those vaccinated are still well-protected, and if they are struggling with death and hospitalisation rates, it's not because the vaccine is less effective, it's because they have a substantial number of their vulnerable population still completely exposed and a more contagious variant on the loose.

The lessons from Israel are not "we need boosters to keep us going", but "aim for as close as possible to 100% vaccination in people over 55".

I think that's the difference delta has made for vulnerable, you can't rely on others to get a shot for you anymore.

Spot on .

Great post

And we would have disagreed much in the past.

As this progresses , we will see lots of people's opinions diverge into basically the same .. area ... thing .. whatever ... you know what I mean ..

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Marilynr2

WHO (among others) estimated it at 60-70% last year based on how transmissible the virus was initially and I assume they thought that the vaccine would stop transmission also!

Israel PM has instructed Vax centres to open 24 hours a day including on the Sabbath. Certainly cracking on this fella with the boosters.

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Apparently minks are not the only animal population that can contract covid in the wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Covid will never be eradicated as it circulates in multiple animals.

Nearly 800K boosters done up to now in Israel. Quite sure they only started last week.

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Covid goes through a flue-like initial phase that most people survive, but it also has pneumonia phase and a final phase where additional damage to the body is done. The vaccine unfortunately doesn't address any of the this damage

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Jackben75

whilst valid points in the discussion. I have some background in this field. Many of you forget the human body which is by far the greatest vaccine with or without a vaccine, eventually a virus like this would be more or less eradicated naturally, with a vaccine, it is boosted 10 fold (time). I have full confidence this will occur. Of course, the virus may linger in the 3rd world and there would be small scale occurrences in developed countries. The real risk is another cross infection (zoonotic) with an animal, the virus could mutate into a completely new form, a different beast, which may be more timid or a hell of a lot worse. Hence the culling of animals when detected, such as the slaughter of the mink but I imagine everybody is on top of this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Jackben75

it prevents the latter 2 stages in the vast vast majority of vaccinated people!

Are you talking about where NPHET said that their goal is not herd immunity or has there been a further update since then? (and understanding that not having it as a goal is not saying that it won't be reached but that they don't think it's needed for life to go back to normal).

But why drop that in without a source?

Fluvoxamine does though.

It addresses the probability of cytokine storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

The idea with a vaccine is that it lets your immune system recognise it and start fighting it before it gets that far. You take vaccines before the illness. They're useless if you're already suffering pneumonia. It's similar to seat belts - they won't put all your organs back after they've been splattered over the road but they'll help stop you from being splattered all over the road in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Was just reading this article forecasting how many billions the covid vaccine booster market will be worth in a few years time

This will mean lots more queuing, cohorts, digital vaccine certs, authoritarianism, waves, holohan and whatever else. If we are lucky and the aforementioned companies do a good enough job with their boosters we might escape further lockdowns but don't take anything for granted. It makes for depressing reading, so it does.

Was hoping the updated delta-specific vaccine they are coming out with will be enough to send covid the way of the smallpox but I was probably being overly optimistic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭Allinall

Delta is only the start.

I’d say we’re doomed.

DOOMED I tell ya.

On the plus side, I’m just after a feed of pints and some grub, so all is not lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Unfortunately, a respiratory disease can live in your nose and it is very hard to eliminate transmission entirely. There are projects for nasal vaccines and nasal sprays (something like First Defence) and perhaps these will get us over the line. Hard lockdowns will not be necessary but some types of activity are superspreaders and will be sometimes restricted. You could have better ventilation standards and air filters etc. in pubs, lecture theatres etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Always have found it odd that by April or so it looked like we were just out of this, then, bam, new variant from India hits.

Cue months of scaremongering that we still need restrictions, that the vaccines only half work on it (since debunked), one shot isn't enough to allow a return to normality etc etc.

Just seems too handy doesn't it. If Mehole had a spine he would address the nation and state categorically that we will never, under no circumstance, go back into lockdown, he would admit what he himself previously said (in not so many words), that Sweden got it right and we ended up no worse off death wise.

I think what the world needs now is the minutes from the 2018 and 2019 Bilderburg Meetings.

Advertisement