Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

533m Facebook users' data leaked. The Irish file has 1,449,921 names / numbers etc.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Apparently the DPC is to write to Facebook about it. One would think that they would have discovered e-mail by now. :)

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2021/0414/1209918-dpc-to-probe-appearance-of-facebook-user-data-online/

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Is anyone else getting a ton of spam calls and emails from this, more so very recently? Easily 20+ calls in the past fortnight, and a lot of mails getting through the spam filter. Like others, I've not actually used Facebook in years (I actually deleted it about 6+ months ago, as I had been using Messenger) - never provided a phone number, but it seems they took it from the phone app.

Spam calls can be linked directly with this breach, I'm getting a few and I'm certain it's from this as mine is listed. Not sure about spam emails there have been plenty of leaks with emails

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Went on the haveinbeenpwned site and yes indeed the Facebook hack is the reason I'm getting these annoying spam calls now to my mobile.

Thanks Zuckerburg.

Useless fuckers.

I wouldn't mind but I never use the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

My partner started getting loads recently too while I did not. One of us was on facebook, the other was not. It's not proof of anything but I don't see why scammers wouldn't use this readily available source of verified phone numbers. They would be stupid not to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

I normally couldn't care less who knows what about me, but I must have received 100 nuisance spam calls since about April. Some of them just a dead line, others a pre recording saying I was being investigated by the DSP for benefit fraud and, bizarrely, drug trafficking. The very odd one from an Indian call centre, where I was unfortunately forced to tell the gentleman that I'd do certain things with his mother.

Had a dead line call from Malta just now was well. Strange how they can somehow make the calls appear to be coming from within Ireland or the EU by spoofing a number.

Legitimate companies don't help with some of their cold calling. About 2 years ago I'm in work and get a call from "AIB". When she asked me to confirm my name etc I was hesitant, and asked what the nature of the call was, she said she couldn't go into it as I needed to confirm details (she had an E European name but Irish accent with an Eastern teang, probabaly a young one who grew up here).

I reluctantly gave the info as I was worried maybe they wanted to talk about some sort of card skimming or whatever. Turns out AIB are calling me in the middle of my working day, demanding my info, all because they saw that I had entered a few mortgage scenarios on the app (purely out of my own interest in what deposit I would need for a property costing X) and whether I was considering buying and would like to come in for a chat or talk further on the phone.

I didn't lose the rag, it isn't the girl's fault and she's no doubt paid a poxy wage to be making these calls, but it is very fraudster like behavior cold calling and asking for details to peddle spam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

From a legal point of view, sometimes a letter has to be written.

This is probably why

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Been getting loads of spam/scam calls myself the past few months, mainly from UK based numbers. I never pick up.

I would use Facebook quite a bit but I am going to have to consider my long-term future on the platform. Not on any other social media apart from boards and a couple of other forums. It has become far too big and powerful for its own good.

Quite a few friends - real ones, not FB “friends” - have closed their FB accounts over the past 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

It was a joke. Did you miss the smiley?

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement