Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

We got a hardcopy with ours when we got it about 2 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

Ah ok. Maybe it’s in UK they don’t get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

It was an okay bedtime read! But given the way things are going, with new/revised functionality coming via OTA updates, the hardcopy was probably obsolete the day it was printed. From memory, I think the version we got was from December 2020. Added to that, it's a 'catch-all' manual, so it includes features not in our Style spec (in fairness that's always been the deal with car manuals), so I think the updateable version in the infotainment system is better.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭zx80

Yeah, the handover was pretty cursory and involved a lot of misinformation about the WeConnect service and the features that were available through the VW Shop option in the Infotainment system (for the record, there is no VW Shop option in the id.3 Infotainement system). So a lot of basics were missed unfortunately and the manual available via the Infotainement system isn't the easiest to find info,in IMHO.

Post edited by zx80 on

• Advertisement

Problem with glitching CarPlay resolved….

I’ve had a problem for a few weeks with CarPlay glitching (sound stops for a fraction of a second) maybe once or twice during a song - not a major issue for most people, but about a 5 or 6 on the annoyance scale for me. I use an iPhone with iOS 14.6. A member of the speakev forum pointed me to the solution which was to deactivate the id.3 from searching for new WiFi networks on an ongoing basis ( for some reason I had activated this option). You’ll find it in Settings>WiFi>WiFi>Search for WiFi. If you’re experiencing a similar problem I hope this resolves it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

I was hoping it might be this week. Did you get a call?

No. He’d said max two weeks from it landing - it takes about a week to get to dealer and then I guess they need to do stuff with it before handover.

I believe all the pre-delivery inspections are done at NVD (National Vehicles Distribution) in Baldonnell, at least they were in my case, and I had my car the day after it was delivered to the dealer by NVD.

Post edited by zx80 on

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭pdpmur

Yes. If you want a hard copy then download and print it.

Where would it stop if dealers were expected to start giving classes on how to own an EV?

If the new owner does not know something then surely the onus is on the individual to make the effort to learn about their new purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I agree that some buyers are incredibly green when it comes to buying an EV. They complain bitterly when their car doesn't deliver the WLTP figures, yet never complained when their previous car didn't come near the official MPG either.

But I think that the very least a dealer should do is explain the charging speeds and cables correctly. This is a new tech for a lot of people so it's just good etiquette.

I've read lots of stories lately where people have turned up at a rapid and plugged into the type 2 and then can't understand why it's taking hours to charge rather than the advertised 30-40 minutes.

Look I just dont think RTFM is a great response to a genuine query. And if you dont like queries of that nature I suggest you unsubscribe from this thread for the next six weeks.

So, to summarise your position on the matter:

1. New EV user doesn't know where the toolkit is kept in the car - obviously that's the dealers fault!
    2. New EV user rocks up at a charging station and doesn't understand what cable type suits - oh well that's the dealers fault!

To take this line of logic further ..

1. New EV user turns up at a petrol station to refuel their car but can't find the fuel inlet - well it's obviously the dealers fault!

Dead easy to blame the dealer for everything, isn't it!

i don’t have a position on anything besides rude responses. And if you read back the thread you will see I never laid blame at dealers either.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

Car dealers who supply evs are supplying very expensive machines which are unfamiliar and new to most owners, many of whom are purchasing their first ev. It is only reasonable that such car dealers have a responsibility to provide their customers with backup, whether by supplying information peculiar to the models they supply, or by way of warranty. They are being well paid to do this, and the better they look after their customers the better appreciated their sales operation will be, and the more kudos that operation will earn over time.

I agree with Fits that RTFM wasn’t a particularly helpful response to my query. I had tried the in-car manual, and when I didn’t find what I needed I thought “Why not ask the helpful people on the id.3 thread at Boards.ie.?”. After all, it seems that asking questions and getting helpful responses is a large part of what goes on here. At no point did I state my ignorance of the location of the tyre repair kit was the car dealer’s responsibility. I would suggest that enough time has been spent on this topic and we all get back to more interesting matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

firstly, I agree that many many things should be looked after by a dealer before the new buyer rolls off the lot. Safety features like the spare wheel or alternative should definitely be included.

However should it not have been done, or if the new owner simply forgot ( given the amount of info being firehosed at them, plus excitement of buying a new car ) then they should be able to come here and ask without fear. You may not wish to put the effort in, but someone else may be more than happy to.

there is no need to be rude or snotty, but then this is the internet....

zx80 - I'm delighted that your question was answered here, that precisely what this forum is for.

Your question was asked and answered before I made my comment. My comment wasn't aimed at you at all, so sorry if you took offence. My comment was a general counter argument against those posts that seem to imply that any lack of knowledge or understanding of the user seems somehow to be the fault of the dealers. Maybe a dealer has explained something like charging but the user just hasn't understood it.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that" - George Carlin

No worries. I think RobaMerc makes a good point that in the heat and excitement of the handover the customer can forget to ask some basic questions that aren’t as easily answered when home and 100km from the dealer. That’s why forums like this are important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Patmwgs

i think the charging away from and at home should be on a hard copy like signing up to easygo and esb charging.

Now where do i fill it with petrol.?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭dublinscot

Has anyone been able to download the over-the-air 2.3 software update?

Apparently the car only checks for an update once per week? Waiting patiently here, but not seeing anything

• Registered Users Posts: 28,041 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Are you a first mover who requested to be in the first wave?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Mr Q

This can be very slow it seems. I sent the request email on the 16th of July and did not get a response from VW until the 6th of August.

I have still not got the update to 2.3.

This waiting is tough going…. Electricus or anyone else get any news yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Good news, after hearing about all the delays was getting worried. We may hae the car before we get the point installed or it will be close

"Good news!....Your new car is about to land in the country and we will be able to despatch the car next week.

It takes about 5-7 working days to arrive with us from despatch."

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Got the first part early in the week, haven't been in the car since to check second part.

Not a first mover but used the OTA update email anyway. Got a confirmation email from VW for agreement to proceed on the 6th.

EDIT: sent email for update on the 15th July

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

Not yet but I believe their ship docked in Dublin this week so hopefully we’ll hear soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The Patara docked in Dublin on Tuesday, so anyone who thinks their car had been ready to ship from Emden the previous week, it is very likely your car was on that ship. It will usually take another week to ten days for your dealer to take delivery of the car (NVD distribute the cars around the country). Once the dealer has it, you should be able to collect it a day or two later - so early to mid next week I'd say.

I'm waiting on a VW myself which wasn't on the Patara (not an ID), and I'm trying to figure out when the next ship is due to depart for Dublin. The Panara is apparently another regular but that one seems to be anchored down in the English Channel... so maybe its a case of waiting for the Patara to return to Emden again to re-load.

• Advertisement

Sent “I want OTA” email on July 16th and got agreement notification from VW Monday last (9th). Have not yet received Part 1 of 2.3 update.

Advertisement