Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat 2021/22

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I'm usually against risks in GW1, but I am going with a Bruno-less team and a GW1 Bench Boost.

My logic is that I am not going to captain Bruno in GW1 or 2. I feel that with the VAR rule changes, the amount of penalty goals Bruno scores is unsustainable. Half of his total PL goals (including half last year) came from penalties. Then we have a fresh Greenwood, who really knows where the back of the net is, coming of age and likely to play up front for 4.5 less. I can see Greenwood coming close to matching, or if I'm lucky, even outscoring Bruno over the first 3 gameweeks. Either way I just can't see Bruno really punishing me too harshly - it's not like going without Salah last year where 1) he has the capability of scoring a hattrick and 2) loads of people are going to captain him. Bruno is incredibly consistent but is truly a midfielder (unlike the forwards like Salah who get classified as midfielders) - he's not going to haul 20 points in a single game, and with Liverpool's fixtures I don't see many captaining Bruno in GW1 or 2, so even if he ddoes get an 11 pointer in there it's not hugely damaging. So while it's a risk to go without the top scorer last season I think 1) I have suitable cover and 2) I don't think it's a risk that can really hurt me too badly, like Salah did to some on GW1 last season.

With the extra 4.5, I'm spreading it around my team and going with a very strong front 8 (7.0 is my cheapest) for a bench boost. Hopefully get the best out of the bench boost (which I struggle to take advantage of, and often interferes with planning), and gives me a better chance of making the right call on players in my front 8 - slightly less likely to be scrambling for a player who looked great in GW1. It's hard to know which striker will hit the ground running, and this way I have more scope for wrong decisions. I can hopefully bank and redisperse the funds in GW3 if needed.

Final reasoning is that with Lukaku joining Chelsea, and Kane to maybe join City, and what seems like more uncertainty than usual, I feel like an early WC might be on the cards for a lot. So I'm less concerned with building a team for the first 10 gameweeks and will focus on the first 3 or so. I do still think the team I have is capable of going a distance without requiring a wildcard (which should always be the aim), but it's fine if I have to readjust early and WC to move my funds around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Press conferences for today

Maybe Klopp gives an update on Tsimi and maybe Solskjaer gives an update on Greenwood but I'm not watching Peps one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Is anyone else' time post out by an hour on the main page and how would i go about fixing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,712 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Any arsenal fans got an opinion on Saka vs Smith Rose.

All my initial drafts contained Saka but I'm seeing alot more of Smith rose in the RMT thread.

yeah same for me, it's out by an hour on the main page and correct on the actual thread page. Looks like a bug, not sure you can fix it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,549 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Not an Arsenal fan, but Lacazette & PEA are both missing tonight and so is Martinelli. So it could be a case of Saka & Pepe up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,618 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Pepe might be a good shout

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Losing my nerve over the bench boost, need 6:30 to hurry up and get here before I change my mind

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭jaykay74

No Boards FF free league this year or did I miss the details ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Unless whoever does the admin for that league renews it, then it's gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Vestergaard signing for Leicester. He'd hardly replace Amartey tomorrow?

Caveat that I'm just going on what I've read on Twitter!

There was something about how he'd have to be registered by midday to be in time and they haven't announced him yet so I don't think they can.

He also doesn't have a squad number as far as I know so I don't think he'll start tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Yeah it also seems madness throwing him in without any time to train and get to know his team mates. Maybe for a forward player but for a centre half it seems too soon. Amartey apparently played well and kept a cleany against Man City. I had a quick look at a Leicester fan forum and the consensus seems to be that Amartey will definitely start GW1 at least. That's all I need him for so I'm going forward with him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

where are people finding the latest news re players who are out etc...? I'm reading bbc / skynews etc... just wondering if any where else worth checking. (or following on twitter)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Ninja Avenger

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭remoteboy

How “punty” would you say your team is? Looking at mine I reckon 8 of my starters are fairly template but then have three with less than 5% ownership. One of them has less than 1% and I’m tempted to ship him out. So risk averse 😂😂

Who's gonna do the honours of the matchday thread? (Last minute appearance from km79?)

Or are we observing the tradition of waiting til after the deadline :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

A: Wan-Bissaka/Barnes or B: Greenwood/Coufal, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭joeyboy11

• Registered Users Posts: 7,671 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Raphinha has been called up to the Brazil squad and may miss GW4 game against Pool as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,537 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Presumably Liverpool would miss a bunch of Brazilians too then?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

A: Mahrez, Greenwood, Son

B: Grealish, Bruno, Raphinha

Currently on A and want to stick with it but afraid to start without Bruno.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,668 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Yep...in the same boat with Bruno/Greenwood.

Ended up playing it safe in the end with Bruno....not having him this week could be damaging for a long time if he does anything at all

Damn website closed the gameweek a day early. Typical towers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

He was training with the during the week apparently, with permission, so that he had a chance of being involved at the weekend.

He was signed in time and is eligible. I didn't go with Amartey in the end for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Meanwhile. Given that GW1 BB has suddenly become all mainstream, I've decided to go full contrary ba$tard and I'm planning on playing it in GW2.

Was picking it for a GW1 BB and then realised my bench (including Toney) had far better fixtures next week.

Toney (cpl)

Coufal (LEI)

Veltman (WAT)

Bachmann (bha)

Risky but if I can survive the rest of the weekend without a massive fire to put out it might come off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

I did the same, once we avoid injurues we're laughing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Do I love or hate this game?

Advertisement