Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread 22/08/16 to date

Comments

Hard for me to decide who is the more useless stand-in, Mark Cagney or Jonathan Healy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

listening to the hard shoulder about Irish people who have emigrated , including one young fellow who is in Cyprus for a whole 2 weeks, and another girl who is a few months in Malaga. Would make you worry for the future generation !!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭chosen1

2smiggy wrote: »
    listening to the hard shoulder about Irish people who have emigrated , including one young fellow who is in Cyprus for a whole 2 weeks, and another girl who is a few months in Malaga. Would make you worry for the future generation !!

I had to turn it off early with the accent on that young lad.

The girl struck me as being very naive about what actual emigration involved and will more than likely be in for a sharp shock when savings run out and the holiday feeling ends.

Should have spoken to other young people, with a longer experience of being away to get a more accurate perspective on the topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I was listening to Newstalk on Tuesday, afternoon I think, and heard a woman giving tech tips regarding problems with mobile phones and tekkie gadgets. Now a family member had one of the problems which she answered and I can't remember which programme it was. I'd like to find it online and listen again if its possible.

it would have been Jess Kelly , @jesskellynt is her twitter user name. She is on lots of Newstalk shows, so maybe easier just ask her directly on twitter !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Had to stop listening when Ciara Kelly began covering morning show, her constant shouting over people is hard to listen to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Many thanks for that, but I don't have a Twitter account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Jess Kelly has a slot on Pat Kenny. It would be close to 12 but I can't remember which day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Why is it when the hard shoulder wants to talk about indoor dining they go to the same pub and the same restaurant?. Won't give them any more publicity but I'm sure regular listeners know them.

John O'Donovan from Cark on now, upset about not being left into a pub last night . Every cloud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Former jockey on with Ciara now a Betway "Ambassador" no less.

Will the constant shilling for betting companies ever end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

Is it general consensus that this section of Moncrieff with the two "characters" shouting relationship advice into the microphone is the worst segment on his show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Anton in for Pat for the week according to his twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

Anton will no doubt find himself hilarious.

He knows stuff about cars as well, by the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

did Kieran Cuddihy's wife have a child recently or what? he's been banging the drum about partners not getting into maternity hospitals for months now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Kieran is like a weathervane, he’ll go whichever way the wind blows!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The replacement this week for Andrea Gilligan, his name escapes me for the moment, Newstalk has finally dropped all pretend at being a serious news channel.

The shock jock thing is very much a double-edged sword for radio, many would not want their brand associated with it but it probably brings in more listeners?

It could also be the kiss of death for any journalist that aspires to a serious career in journalism or as political advisor to be associated with a shock jock.

A pointless, non-competition. Let us know who is the bestest Irish band/act ever. Cost 30c for your brain fart.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Because women are still finding out problems with their pregnancies and their partners aren't allowed in.

The Health Minister, HSE etc keeps saying that the guidelines have changed etc and hospitals should stop this practice for well over 3 months now, but hospitals are still doing it.

It's inhumane and it shouldn't be ignored. Kieran's the only one pushing it and he'll keep pushing it until it stops. Fair play to him in my opinion. He's the only one actually trying to put pressure on the powers that be to actually stop this sort of nonsense.

Why are you so against it?

Maybe because Cuddihy has made his point and doesn't have to have it always as the main point of his programme?. Maybe he does other items but every time I tune in on the way home hes talking about it so I go elsewhere. are the hospitals just being cruel or are they trying to protect people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I'm sure their answer would be they are trying to protect people but it's probably typical bureaucracy where every decision hast to be triple stamped and agreed with unions. So they just prefer to ban partners from attending. I'm not particularly soppy and I dealt with quite a few things on my own because OH was busy. However when things go wrong you are in very vulnerable position, sometimes you don't think of things you want to ask, you might need someone to call the nurse or to get you a pack of sanitary towels etc. Even if you ignore emotional support and the stress partner waiting in the car is going through there is a lot to be said for someone helping you. Maybe things changed in last 8 years but I was often enough forgotten about in maternity hospitals so I would not want to rely on busy (and in one case just incompetent) staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭Mr.CoolGuy

I think it's fairly clear with this "Ireland's greatest" vote they're running now that they really want Thin Lizzie to win. They spend most of the ad time playing their music

every show today, every one , has been none stop on about the maternity hospitals despite the head of the Rotunda giving a perfectly reasonable explanation on the Pat Kenny show

Cuddihy off on his current hobby horse again, I'm out. Pat featured the maternity situation as did Andrea did. Didn't hear the breakfast show but wouldn't be surprised if they did also.

and Pat was the only reasonable one, where he read out texts expecting mothers with opposing opinions. Not the one side we get from Cuddity

Just dialed in there and it's still ongoing so I've given up on the show, pity as otherwise I think he's a good presenter but has gone off on an ego trip here

So you think vulnerable women should be forced to go into a 20 week scan without their partners?

The stretches people will go to defend inhumane bullsh*t like that.

I've heard Kieran say countless times that they have contacted maternity hospitals to come on and they wont. Why not? What are they afraid of?

the head of the Rotunda was on talking to Pat yesterday. Pat said he could see his point of view, but then again he would be a balanced interviewer. That is probably why they would talk to Pat rather then Kieran or Ciara Kelly. More of a serious conversation rather than tabloid shite.

BTW I think it is terrible to keep the couples apart, but there must be a good reason behind it IMO, rather than just cruelty.

Crazy ass knife carrying yank pulls knife on a dog.

• Advertisement

And now the National Maternity Hospital has revealed unrestricted access for one partner.

Imagine what happens when these hospitals have a spotlight shone on them? Things actually change.

Now that one hospital has changed their minds, the pressure is on the rest of them.

it's great to see a tabloid radio show host get his way, well partly. He obliviously knows more than those in charge of the hospitals and of course he will have to deal with the consequences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I'm not sure why people are complaining that Cuddihy is hanging onto the maternity issue

If he was to only bring it up as a story once you could accuse him of swinging with the wind

It's an issue that hasn't been sorted so I think it's much better for him and the show to be a platform advocating for the issue

Why do you think he should stop it?

What he is doing is making a difference to expectant mothers and their partners.

There is no justifiable reason for forcing a woman to go through everything alone. None. The second a hospital left a partner sitting in the car through one birth was the second their system failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

• Advertisement

Achieving the core objective of a maternity hospital - to deliver babies healthily and safely (and I mean the health and safety of the mother too). I agree that there’s a debate to be had so that restrictions can be safely relaxed as soon as it’s safe to do so, and I was glad the Master of the Rotunda explained his position this week. Your phraseology just seemed a little extreme, that’s all

Well I don't see what can be safer than two people from the same household wearing masks, considering I can meet up with 6 other people inside a pub from different household.

Holles St showed there is no reason for these to exist anymore. I can give the maternity hospitals some leeway when we didn't know any more about the virus but with vaccinations and more knowledge about how we can remain safe, there's no longer an excuse for it.

What’s safer than two people from the same household wearing masks? Well, that’s an easy one - one person wearing a mask

And it’s a while since I’ve been in a pub, but as far as I remember, they tend not to have newborn babies in them

Well now the Coombe is reverting back to allow partners in with them.

Two people wearing masks from the same household is excessively safer than six people from different households whom aren't wearing masks. If the latter is allowed, the former should be.

Fair enough on the masks. Are the 6 people in this scenario pregnant women? Because if so, there’s surely a reason that they need to be there more than the partners …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

Newstalk sport being extra edgy this morning.

"Peamount United play Spartak in the champions league today" was the headline intro to the sports news. Went on to say who they would play if they won etc.

Had to google to see what they were on about. Its the women's champions league.

Why didn't they call it "The Women's Champions League, when it's name is "The Women's Champions League"

https://www.uefa.com/

Well there is a reason, 40 per cent of the partners who want admittance to the Rotunda arent vaccinated, who are these people, has anyone alluded to the reason for this high number not vaccinated.

The Rotunda is an old hospital so waiting rooms are small, some men sit on chairs there and leave pregnant women standing, some even lie on the beds in shared wards and some bring their other children into the wards and go off for the day.

Any more detail required on the maternity hospitals stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Does anyone else feel that this 25k giveaway has really cheapened the station?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

All they need is about 10000 texts to break even, they are giving nothing away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭yoursaviour1989

Because most people know Peamount United is a women's team?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Easy money for them. I wonder if people realise that the competition is across multiple stations, even if they do mention Goloud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Sick to the teeth of hearing about it, once an hour at least with the usual stupid question. And it runs every two weeks in some vein it seems.

As you mentioned, it's across Newstalk, 98FM, Today FM, Spin as well as a rake of online stations so the odds of winning are minimal and they easily make back their money.

It's awful dirge that is definitely cheapening the station.

the breakfast show is painful to listen to at the moment. Shane Coleman and Mark Cagney. They are bad enough individually , but when you put them together ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

NT seems to have disappeared from my Sky Q🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭eirman

Yep - 0210 is gone - I won't be listening to them very much now.

(The 25K thing and the low volume of their satellite signal was really getting to me anyway)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement