Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shops refusing to accept cash

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Sure. I haven't suggested (and nobody else has suggested) all solicitors steal from bank accounts. So I've no idea why you keep coming back to that as if it's relevant.

But you're dead wrong on another point. Cash is the method of choice for most criminals. It's how the vast majority of money laundering is done, for example. But I think youre willfully conflating the fact that the majority of money laundering is done using cash with the idea that anyone who accepts cash is engaged in crime. I presume that's why you think the point about the solicitor is relevant.

Also. Has anyone told you how much cash you can use and which whom or is it totally hypothetical?

I wasn’t suggesting you did, it was an analogy to show the absurdity of associating the use of cash by society as a whole, with the support of criminality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,581 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I dont think the returns are significant enough to say they are bilking the taxman.

The returns are significant if they're paying the staff under the counter in cash.

It makes no sense to say "they're cash only because of the cost of card transactions" because if they're not on the fiddle, that cash is going to have to be lodged in a bank which costs a similar amount.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

you are making hige assumptions,first you assume becasue a shop or business operates only in cash and doesnt have a card facility that they are on the fiddle? now what's being suggested is such a place are paying people under the counter because of the same reason?? it may happen, but unless you know for sure you cant state it like it is a fact.

• Advertisement

Try reading my post again.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,773 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Other than being on some kind of fiddle there is no good reason for a business to be cash only. Stripe charge 1.4%. Processing cash has to be more expensive and certainly less secure. I don't buy the whole 'cards are too expensive' rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,090 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

He earns between 4 and 8k a year: the only tax due is €250 (and that's only some years).

You would be surprised how many people keep their income low, so they fall outside the tax net apart from VAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Revenue are far cleverer than just going by returns. There will be substantial cross referencing and they will also profile a business. And if one part doesn't match, its ripe for an audit.

An audit can include cross referencing with suppliers. So say they used musgraves, they'd ask musgraves for details if they were suspicious. Very little gets by the eye of revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Some traders will pay their suppliers in cash legitimately so depending on the business margins they might not need to lodge relatively much at the end of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Paying suppliers by cash is an excellent way to avoid bank charges. Paying staff wages is another. To avoid bank charges, my old boss lodeged to PTSB where he did not pay charges, then got a draft and paid it into the company account.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

The original reasoning behind reducing cash payments early in the pandemic was to reduce formite (surface) transmission.

It became clear in mid-2020 that surface transmission for Covid is not really relevant - while inactive virus fragments can be found on surfaces under lab conditions, they don't play any relevant role in infections.

That being said - cash money is, by nature, quite unhygienic, so, regardless of Covid, reducing cash payments does make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 903 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Why? A receipt from Musgrave saying 2000 euro paid with thanks was perfect. Paying out lotto wins was another method. Cashing the cheques from the credit union by arrangement was another. It was a massive merry-go-round. It worked very well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It wasn't unheard of for retailers to push cashback to anyone paying by debit card if they were carrying substantial amounts of cash / on weekends if they had no bank nightsafe option. Dunnes and Golden Discs locally to me both did so.

My local newsagent will go in to "up to, at retailers discretion" band on lotto wins if he has the cash at hand - doubt he'd have it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭slystallone

Agree, so many places not accepting cash now. Everyone should make an effort to pay in Cash. With a card, banks have control over your funds, tracking everything your buying and more than likely selling your data to third parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭slystallone

🙄🙄

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Quitelife

As an average consumer - paying by card all the time can lead to poor funds management as paying by card is so easy, with cash you know how much you've left in your pocket. Handing over 50 euro note makes you think more than tapping a card.

• Advertisement

The same thing was probably said about cheques. It probably depends on how good you are at handling money in the first place and how adaptable you are to new ideas.

I find it easier to manage money because I can see it on my banking app. I know exactly how much I have in my current account, savings accounts etc., and exactly how much I spend because it's all there for the whole month (years actually). So it's easy to see what I'm spending money on throughout the month. It's unlikely that I'd remember off thr top of my head, what I spent on everything 3 weeks ago. But the app shows it in seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

In todays world of apps and push notifications, cards are probably better for that. Every cent I spend on cards results in a notification. When you see 13 notifications after a night out you tend to see the spend a lot clearer than looking at the change in your pockets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Yea a local shop has a machine now to take money and give change and when they cash up in the evening they use gloves.

Reminds me of a aunt that married into a shop in the 1930s and would always wear gloves when handling the money

Ever gone to an ATM convinced you had X amount in your account, and found out you only had X-Y?

Scrap the cap!

The main purpose of those machines (my local Spar has one) is to stop cash being robbed, but also to stop the staff fiddling the till.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭spontindeed

I noticed Lidl are not automatically giving our receipts when you pay in cash whereas they automatically give them when you pay by debit card. I find that problematic. Lots of people don't want to pay by card for privacy reasons because I heard that Gardai can snoop on you and they can access your financial activity without a warrant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,500 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

They don't have GDPR.

They would be exposing themselves to fines of hundreds of millions of Euro if they used your data without your consent or sold it to third parties. It's hard to keep things like that secret.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Government wet dream having everyone paying by card, everything traceable and exploitable along with companies building up a profile on your spending habits

so hypothetically say 10 years down the line insurance companies will be able to pay some government / company agency to see do you buy something regularly that will effect your health risk and then charge extra that doesn't meet their algorithm

its all a slippery slope based wrapped up in convenience

Post edited by kingtiger on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

someone in the pub told you that didn't they? Same person said the earth was flat and covid is not a thing

Could you please explain WHY gardai would have any interest in snooping on card purchases and WHY a purchase from lidl would be suspicious and HOW they would be able to snoop on you.

I'd really love to know your answers cos I could do with a good laugh on a monday. I also have to deliver a speech next week at an event, so would like a funny story like this to put in the speech. The speech is about how gullible people are in the age of social media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

If cash is abolished I wonder will that mean the end of drug dealers ?

Cash is the bread and butter of the illegal drug trade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Not anymore. The local dealer will happily take revolut or further up the line crypto. Criminals have been since time began and always will be a step or 2 ahead of the people chasing them. For every dealer they catch, convict and eventually maybe send away there's a lot more waiting to take over. Half the guys in jail are still running the business from in there anyway. Sometimes in life u have to admit defeat and the war on drugs was lost a long time ago.

But if they take the likes of revolut as a method of payment would that not leave a paper trail which could be used as evidence against them ?

I pay my friend 200 euros through revolut wheres the proof it was for drugs?

If hes making a big income coming in from such payments revenge are going to want to know why he is being paid all that money.

By using the banking system the goverment will know about every penny that he makes so they will be able to call him out if anything looks suspicious.

But if your friend was only operating in cash the government wouldn't a clue what he was doing with his money.

The people I know operate on a few bags a week mostly to friends it's hardly gonna set off alarm bells with anybody there's thousands of small dealers like that all over the country. Do we have enough police to track all their bank transactions down? No. The bigger guys up the ladder have their own ways of doing things. Crypto is the new way of doing large amounts of big transactions untraceable. Cash is no longer needed. Anybody that thinks cashless will stop illegal transactions is deluded. Cash will always exist but it is dwindling. No amount of pushing cashless will stop criminals there's always a way.

• Advertisement

Bitcoin transactions also leave a paper trail so they could be used as evidence against drug dealers.

I just can't see the drug trade operating without cash which is 100% anonymous.

Electronic payments make it so much easier for the authorities to track down drug dealers.

Large payments going into peoples bank accounts for no obvious reason will get flagged by the banks and passed on to the authorities.

The banks are always on the look out for suspect transactions.

Try taking a large amount of cash out of a bank and see the amount of questions they will ask you in order to access your own money.

https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/crypto/are-cryptocurrency-transactions-actually-anonymous/

I'm not completely disagreeing you. I'm just saying will cashless make things harder for criminals? Yes. Impossible? No. They already move large amounts electronically but it is getting harder. The right accountant can launder the money through "legitimate businesses"

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Shadesmango

People promoting a cashless society don’t seem to have thought out the consequences of this. Every transaction that you make will be visible and traceable.

Firstly, the government will know everywhere you have been and everything you have bought and every transaction you have made. You might say, you don’t mind because you’re not doing anything illegal, but what about privacy.. this is giving total control!! And will you be happy when your child’s pocket money is counted up against gift tax? Or when you can’t lend you friend some money without explaining it? And your privacy about what you do with your money is totally transparent?

And Will you be happy when we are totally cashless and banks raise transaction fees? And individuals and businesses have no alternative?

and when you are marketed on the basis of your purchases?

and staff are taxed on all their tips?

and I hope all the people who do odd jobs, tuition, cleaning, babysitting etc will all be happy when they are taxed on every penny.. and you have to pay double to all those people who keep families running affordably for their services

Because not a penny will pass hands that is not directly traceable and all financial control will be out of our hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Just go off grid! What did people do when everything was on tick from the corner shop?

So it's OK for people working in certain professions to not pay tax?

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

The hypocrisy there is, unless you enjoy handing over more money than you need to, it is tempting for most to take a cash price for less when engaging those “certain professions”.

Banks aren't the government, you know that, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,727 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

But when paying by card, you have a clear record of your spending, unlike forking out cold hard cash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Revenue can look at your accounts so by extension he's right saying the government

It’s not so much the record of spending, it’s the level of spending. If you have cash in your pocket on a night out you know how much you are going to spend and when you reach that limit. I do appreciate that can also be done with a card but tangible notes make it easier to know when your limit is reached. I’m old school, I always carry cash, on the other hand my kids never do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,716 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Perhaps. But, unless you enjoy handing over more money than you need to, it is even more tempting for everyone not in those professions to favour systems that make this difficult, since they have to pay for the revenue shortfall that those systems create.

Once a majority of taxpayers have little or no opportunity to evade tax, their self-interest lies in supporting systems that deny that opportunity to as many people as possible.

Perhaps, but I suspect the temptation for the customer to pay less, outweighs the requirement for the service provider to pay more. For many customers, more money in their pocket for a job done is more important than then someone else’s tax compliance.

Personally I’ve never experienced anyone in those “certain professions” refusing to give me a full fat quotation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

If you are giving your child more than €3000 a year in pocket money then they should pay tax.

Id love to be marketed based on my purchases. Seeing ads for things that i actually want to buy would be great.

I'm against the removal of cash but i disagree with most of your points. You seem to be against workers paying tax.

I also never understood the statement that the government or bank will know exactly what i buy. If i go into Tesco and spend €100 then they don't know if i bought food or a bottle of whiskey.

i use a card because i find it easier and i have a record of what i buy. When i go out at night i put money on my revolut card so i have a limit on what i can spend. I find it easier to budget using my cards. I understand others are the opposite and they find it easier to budget with cash and hence we should keep both methods of paying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,716 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Tescos knows exactly what you bought - every items is scanned and they give you an itemised receipt, remember? And if you paid for it with a card, or if you paid cash but used a loyalty card, they know exactly who bought it.

Im not sure if you are being sarcastic, but are you seriously suggesting that college kids should have to pay tax on the “pocket money” their parents give them to live?

You don’t think banks analyse your spending when considering you for a mortgage? Boards has numerous posts from applicants denied mortgages based on the bank questioning their spend on betting apps. So the record of your spending, and what you spend it on can have an affect.

• Advertisement
Advertisement