Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aer Lingus Fleet/ Routes Discussion Pt 2 (ALL possible routes included)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Shamrockj

this is the current reduced offering. If it’s a longer flight I would recommend getting a sandwich or something before the flight.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I have it on good authority than the onboard staff can’t process online/website vouchers.

granted my source hasn’t flown on an aircraft in 2 months, so she could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Vouchers can only be used to purchase flights themselves and any extras booked as part of that transaction

They cannot be used to pay for seats or bags later or onboard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

Anybody know what's happening DUB- BRU in Sept? Booked on evening flight on 23rd out and got email saying flight cancelled and rebooked to mid-day, which I could work around. Email today saying all flights on that day, and indeed other days are now cancelled.

Is this type of schedule change common? I would have thought BRU would be a busy route even in current times

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭kevinandrew

The schedule is all over the place at the moment, another raft of cancellations from September onwards was released a few days ago.

Brussels appears to be 5 weekly between 13 September and 10 October with the morning EI630 only operating on Sat and Mon while the afternoon EI638 operates on Sun, Thu, Fri with no flights at all on Tue and Wed.

Aer Lingus is clearly struggling on short haul, lower demand heading into winter is of course to be expected but the airline seems to be bottom of the pile in terms of recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

Thanks for that, its actually Thurs out and Mon return I was due to fly. FR seem to have a few flights going so that will do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭Jack1985

TA forward bookings on BOS, ORD, JFK, IAD are positive (this with the fact EU citizens haven’t been given the greenlight to enter yet) which is giving increased confidence in terms of LH cap deployment.

Sun routes are doing well overall with the capacity on offer, but I don’t think a lot of posters are factoring in that Business travel in Europe is literally dead at the moment. Work from home is still in effect generally and critical travel is only occurring. Lots of routes rely on this AMS, BRU, CDG, ZRH I could go on. There is simply no other option but to operate minimally to feed TA and demand being received or not operate at all (FRA, ZRH).

This was never going to be a snap back the longer it dragged on and there are many factors that will hinder European ops, but with TA recovery this will begin to help matters. EI would be foolish to send off 320s daily to European capitals with LFs below 50%, they need to ensure they are focusing on two things:

Break even and deploy demand where warranted.

It’s painful, it’s slow, but it’s better then pushing cash burn up sending empty aircraft around Europe. For the staff this is the correct direction to be able to give some degree of certainty to recover wages which they have given every intention of when possible.

I remind myself of the fact that only 8 weeks ago, EI was operating at circa 10% and is now closing in on 50% of 2019 levels. That is significant and I’ve no doubt I’ll reflect on this post again in another few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭notuslimited

My flight to IAD on 23 Sep, returning 26 Sep was cancelled today. EI advise that they will be in contact within 24 hours with a rebooking option.

The route continues as 4 weekly, the previous daily schedule is block added by the booking system. Constantly trying to gauge demand before correcting to what’s warranted. All TAs are currently operating with high loads in both cabins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

I also got a email today cancelling the return part of my trip (it was an evening flight on a friday). This evening they informed me that they have kindly rebooked me on a morning flight on the previous day. That's a day and a half off my 5 day trip and no option to amend my accommodation. They are very quick to advertise sales and promote booking and yet seem to be cancelling flights all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

If this is EI, the flight change is more than 2hrs so you can rebook onto another flight as per t&c of the change, it's usually in the email somewhere. Give them a call and they'll sort it out

If they change the flight time more than +/-2hours you are entitled to a full refund on all segments on the ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Maybe it was an exception, but when I flew to ORD last Thursday there were only about six seats occupied in Business.

Personally I think that putting flights on sale, allowing them to be booked, and then cancelling them risks alienating customers at the very moment that airlines are pleading for them to return.

My brother is based in the UK, and has had his LHR-DUB flights for September (BA rather than EI, but the point holds) moved multiple times at this stage.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

They are putting the flights up for sale to assess the demand and then basing their decisions on the amount of bookings that come in. Unfortunately we are still in strange times and things change so quick. Before they could asses the demand based on last years bookings and booking trends but now the bookings are all over the place and hard to predict. At the end of the day they can’t afford to run empty flights after the losses they have made and have to put flights only where there is money to be made.

Dublin to Washington EI117 resumed today on the A321NEOLR EI-LRB

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭x567

I do sympathise with the need to be responsive to demand in these still-strange times, but it would be good to have some indication of when the flights become reasonably ‘firm’, or at least be forewarned that the scheduling is tentative. Have just had the mild annoyance of having a flight to FCO cancel and be moved by a day just after I had confirmed accommodation and booked parking. Can all be dealt with, but avoidable hassle. A week ago there were two flights bookable on the day where there are now none…

14 days out is lockdown, baring a government order or ban the flight will operate as to cancel results in a major EC261 payout

Shame its just temporary. I would have hoped the route would have been busy around Christmas.

Glad to see them return to Shannon after 18 months anyhow.

I could give you today's figures from the 123 and they'd be anecdotal as well, it’s the trends I'm more interested in and, they are positive at this point in time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Im going to take a guess that a resumption of their short haul network will focus on the early morning departures from Dublin. These are the flights serviced by the early morning TA transfers. Those same mid morning returns will add to the traffic on the TA flights.

afternoon and evening departures from Dublin are going to be lower priority.

obviously “bucket and spade” routes from Dublin won’t follow this logic.

As mentioned above, the “business traveller” market is nonexistent at the moment, thus no demand for late departures from European out stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Noxegon

This is the key thing for me.

As a passenger, I really don't give a flying (pun intended) about whether a flight is going to be profitable or not.

I've looked at a published schedule and I've planned around it, and having done that I really don't want to have to reshuffle all my arrangements around.

As the world returns to normal my preference will be to book with airlines that don't cancel large portions of their operation.

Don't misunderstand me; I understand the problem, and I'm sympathetic to it – but it's not mine.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

It seems to be 4-6 weeks before they go through the schedule and remove the flights that are not going to be going ahead.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

a bunch of AL flights in and out of venice next month were cancelled on thurs, all moved to day before or day after from what i can see.

It’s encouraging to hear forward bookings are looking healthier on the Atlantic and they’re obviously doing good business on the sun routes but I have to agree with the others regarding the cancellations and impact that appears to be having on passengers.

The chopping and changing of the network, particularly short haul, the introduction of the cabin bag fee, the on board menu offering being poor and suffering availability issues and the lounges still being closed have gone against them in recent weeks and while they all make sense financially, passengers don’t care about the financials and at a time when Aer Lingus really should be trying to win them back, they haven’t got off to the best start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭john boye

DUB-LGW returned this morning.

Good to see Gatwick back, hopefully Knock resumes soon once the frequencies are ramped up.

Some of these route suspensions have been so long it feels like an inaugural when they come back!

Today also saw the 2nd daily JFK flight now EI107

Today there was 5 TA flights in total

A330 ORD,JFK and BOS

A321NEOLR JFK and IAD

Great to see some extra transatlantic flights hopefully this continues.

I'm sure if the bookings are there it will be kept on. Its good to finally see some EI flights out of SNN.

• Advertisement

Rumours of FR starting LHR from Shannon on another forum so hopefully EI can stay back in Shannon.

Advertisement