Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corruption in charities

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

So that's a no then, you/they haven't run the numbers of every Irish charity.

Are you certain that no Irish charity, maybe SVP,can beat or match the 17% off the top costs for cash distribution, as seen with one of their recommended charities?

I have run the numbers on no charity, I am not the professional charity evaluator, they are.
    That is also only one facet of many of being an effective charity.

SVP are already behind with just a skim of their page but I'm sure Givewell will have evaluated one of the biggest charities already and could give a good answer if asked:
    Donations that are given locally are spent locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

YFlyer wrote: »
    Bunny Carr.

I have.no idea who Bunny Carr is. And I suspect I am not alone. Any chance of some context?

Or some commentry on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭dublin49

I have.no idea who Bunny Carr is. And I suspect I am not alone. Any chance of some context?

Or some commentry on it?

he fronted a popular quiz show back in late 60s early 70s and also set up Carr communiciations that provided training for people in the media including politicans,he fronted a charity drive and his voice over on the appeal was was along the the lines of "send your money to me Bunny Carr c/o xxxx Charity " on foot of that there were allegations that maybe people took him literally and sent their donations directly to him.I think it all stemmed from the catchphrase ,send your money to me....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Or some commentry on it?

Addressed in the article I linked above

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/mr-charm-school-1.85444?mode=amp

He's spreading lies and innuendo about a dead man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I would deal with charities the Michael O'Leary way...

Go in and cut everything by half. Replace all the senior executives, and board members
    with voluntary people. I know loads of retired people who would do this.
    I could do it, and I have street creds too.

Everything else would get outsourced, maximise the funds going to the actual cause.

• Advertisement

Go in and cut everything by half. Replace all the senior executives, and board members

Everything else would get outsourced, maximise the funds going to the actual cause.

All board members are volunteers. Who exactly are these senior executives waiting to take on stressful, demanding full time roles with significant personal exposure as volunteers?

Outsourcing tends not to work well in homeless services, disability services.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Outsource what exactly?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Or some commentry on it?

Ah stop the lights!

humberklog wrote: »
    Ah stop the lights!

old timer time for your horlicks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

humberklog wrote: »
    Ah stop the lights!

Not to mention Norman's musical clues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

The Former Bothar CEO has been found dead at his home. Tragic all round.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40269752.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 33,081 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Former Bóthar CEO seeks free legal aid for misappropriated funds court case https://jrnl.ie/5455590

Absolutely zero shame

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Not many details but ICHH might be the next charity in a bit of bother.

"In recent days, serious matters have come to the attention of the board. "

https://ichh.ie/statement-by-the-board-of-inner-city-helping-homeless/

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Rket4000

They've hired an independent senior counsel? Who's paying for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Anthony Flynn has made his twitter private, must not want to deal with any questions and an event they had planned for tonight is cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

All this internal investigation and SC involvement has to stop. Damage limitation I suppose.

First stop = Gardai, let them investigate any breach of the law, end of story.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Agis_IV

Saintly do gooders rarely do good, as true in Irish charities as it is in Irish politics. Help your neighbors and your community. Apollo House etc are effectively a grift. A 411 scam for gullible strivers who more concerned with social media karma than helping a person, family or community down on its luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,401 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

There is no need for people running charities to be corrupt when they get massive 6 figure salaries.

https://www.thesun.ie/news/6473057/charities-staff-value-study-ceo-salary/

• Advertisement

We don't know if the suspended employee was involved in fraud, it could be other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭enricoh

The other 99 homeless charities will be able to pick up the slack- fear not!

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Thats unusual. Him and David Hall are running it so I'd expect to hear from him soon enough.

Flynn is normally fearless at calling out the bs of others and saying what needs to be done.

Probably the charity. I suppose when you find yourself in a hole it's best to get good advice on how to get out.

Good. I didn't see any reference to the Gardai in the initial reports, but you are right, the Gardai are involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Most likely it will be free.

Plenty of senior counsel will do pro bono work. - it's good for referrals / good pr.

Whilst it's a high profile charity, income is fairly small and most work seems to be voluntary.

I suspect David hall is seething over this as he would have very high standards.

if you give money to strangers without strings and little or no validation on the basis they use it wisely don't be too surprised if their interpretation of that instruction is different from your own.

Corruption in charities is not always about the charity itself.

Celebrities, such as Jimmy Saville, use charity as a means to boost their public relations profile. You end up with a system where people end up getting away with inappropriate activity because many in the celebrity sphere are too scared to challenge someone who is associated with so much charity.

That, in itself, is a distorted version of corruption very much linked to charity.

• Advertisement

You're comparing different times rather than different sectors. Saville and others were back in the 80s and 90s. All charities involved with children work with painfully stringent rules about not being alone with children and garda vetting and more.

Advertisement