Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Proposed New suckler Scheme

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

You are probably not wrong Base Price, if you look at the pig, chicken or dairy industries they are all based on numbers, you have to be working with large numbers to make a profit. This in turn leads to large meal / feed bills & then when things go wrong large finical problems..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,126 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Yes I reared calves for a while. It was a few years after we first bought the farm. My single farm payment was not sorted. There was little margin in bigger cattle as lads had not readjusted I entered reps and ran the place with minimum stock. I had no shed or housing.

Used to have 20 ish calves. As I was traveling with work I could not really do that many and I gave it up after about 4 year after I build a shed for cattle . I started buying weanlings which had softened considerably. I only had a few acres around the house so managing calves that way was awkward as well. I had only a small shed 18X10.

It really all diwn to the price you pay for them. Then any livestock operation is the same. Patience is a huge virtue in a mart. If you carry to finish a plan calf will often leave as much as a fancy one.

Everything in beef is cost control. A strip grazing/ small paddock system is a must if you want to make money. It amazing how much money you save buying in bulk and you have better control of quality.

No I can never see it going down large factory style operations. Ration costs are getting too high. AIBP tried it with Hereford calves a few years ago. Losses were horrendous I am lead to believe as staff had little interest. Neither would I at 10-12 euro/ hour.

All beef is about cost efficiency not technical efficiency. No point in increasing output by 25% but your costs increase by 10-20%,you end up working harder and your hourly rate goes from 20/hour to 12/hour.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Dairy x would struggle here. Cows spend their days grazing to get enough to make milk. Weanlings don’t over fatten here.

we were dairy farmers years ago and it was hardship, the land just isn’t good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭Dunedin

If a choice between dairy x and dairy x, I’d probably plant it........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

We’d 2 AAX & 2 HEX heifers here last year, wild as hell and wouldn’t flesh.

Over the winter they’d out eat a suckler cow and still be skin & bone

We’d other dairy cross before that done well and were quite, it’s likes of these bad ones that turn lads off the dairy cross

When we all change out system we can find it hard to judge the cattle first. A lot of lads were hesitant about online bidding yet now there are some that buy 50-100% of there cattle online. You were really unlucky to end up with 4 wild dairyX cattle. Sometime one wild one will drive the rest scatty. But after a few mistakes generally you get to manage the change

Slava Ukrainii

That was luck of draw

My point was on the reply to knowledgeknight where HExFR will thrive anywhere isn’t true

Some of the farms cows are knee deep and feeding a calf maybe even grazing heather

Each to their own

I know your issue and am not disagreeing

10 years ago weanlings we’re making €2-300 / hd more than today with less costs

Lots would be happier to get extra in a mart cheque than a sub

What proportion of the €300 will the farmer get after all the red tape expenses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Jasus, todays journal doesn't make great reading, doom and gloom, but renting out of entitlements will be allowed.

But their values will be decimated, ..... interesting times ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Dozer1

It's coming to a point shortly where the next generation will have a very easy decision to sell up.

Another one of the "BETTER " farmers selling out

Can’t plant here. Too much forestry around and we have failed the water test and we’re told we would not even be allowed non commercial forestry,

As I said about the FJ farm alot of Teagasc and FJ thinking on being a better farmer is flawed. They have transferred most of there practice from dairy direct to drystock. The workload for the extra profit is not justified. Taking out paddocks for bales, following grazings with fertlizer, having all these low grass covers, as well as reseeding is hard to justify in a low margin business

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

I never said I wanted social welfare to keep a suckler. I more than likely not sign up for the next scheme. I didn’t sign up for The weighing scheme as for the few quid you get for it doesn’t pay for workload.,

I just said dairy x calves would struggle here as the land is very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

interesting you blame the suckler cow for affecting margins not the dairy cow

Dairy animal is not subsdised. Whether anyone like it or not we will have 1.6 million+ dairy calves born every year. The dairy sector is expanding by about 50 k cows/ year at present. We export 200k ish of them as calves for how long more is the question.

Single suckler's hardly existed in this country pre the late 80's, there was a limited amount on poorer land along the west coast. Suckler's were profitable when the Italian and Continental market was stronger than the UK.

UK spec and is for 280-330 kg carcases grading O=to R-, they pay a premium for marbled beef. Basically the higher priced sector taking HE and AA prime cuts is the highest priced beef in the market. This goes to higher end of the Supermarkets and the restaurant trade. That is your AA steak in an UK supermarket or an HE burger in a restaurant or in McD's. However the rest of the market is a mixture the unbranded burger you get at a deli counter or catering trade food.

The average sucker animal even after present subsidity's dies in debt from a farmer's point of view, Along with that it drags the rest of the market down. All this summer a 330 kg AS or HE was grossing 1450-1500 depending on whether you were getting the 10 or 20 c bonus. With the demand for beef this year due to the EURO's and Olympics there was a market for any prime beef. That will not be there longterm.

The heavy Suckler bullocks will be discounted and drag the rest of the market down. The reasons the factory's want Suckler cattle is for winter feeding( unprofitable for farmers because if the price) and to keep the market price down for the rest of the prime market

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

What's left at suckling farming now is hardened suckling farmers, most won't be for changeing. The more farmers that you turn to calf rearing, the more money you'll put in dairy farmers pockets for poor product, The stronger competition for calves can only mean more short gestation slower growing bulls will be used in the dairy herd. Be careful what you wish for.

New zealand were referring to eight month gestation callves that look more like rabbits when we were over there

When you are throwing out figures

How many Suckler cows is there and how many of there calves are exported

Last year when marts went online AA & HE calves 14-21 days were making over €300, probably paid by ones starting out rearing

The preformance of these calves will mean these stay rearing or not

Are those calves 400kg now, can they put on a kg/day since purchase say march 2020. easy enough do a kg/da on bought in beast that is old and big framed but young cattle is more difficult. Are they worth €2/kg , so €600 gross margin between buying and now on the ones that lived.

It's not a amrgin you'd be giving up sucklers for

About 850-900k, which lave about 700-750k calves. Exports are around 50 k at present. All these figures are off the top of my head

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

You’re probably not far off I was thinking sucklers must be under the 700k at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Link to Bord Bia live export figures by country and type up to w/e 17/7.

https://www.bordbia.ie/farmers-growers/prices-markets/cattle-trade-prices/live-cattle-exports/

When lads lose money they stop paying too much for calves. Quality is improving. There is fewer and fewer first cross jex calves around. But as well the quality of the beef calf is not as poor. Lads have stopped registering first cross JE calves as AA as well

Beef value of Dairy bulls is known from there DNA tests, do the same for Beef bulls make it compulsory to DNA test any beef breed bull in the dairy herd and put the sire on the card.

Slava Ukrainii

Given all the exporters you see in the marts I thought there’d be more weanlings exported

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭mythos110

I'm amazed at the anti suckler sentiment of some of the posters here. What difference is it to you if some people choose to continue to go with sucklers. I myself run a 50 cow suckler herd and work full time off farm. The way I see it when the likes of the IFJ/Teagasc are advising to get out of a sector, it probably means its time to get into it.

I sell the majority of my stock at 12-18months. I get reasonably good prices for them but the are prime quality stock and there always seems to be buyers for that type of animal. Many of my dairy farming neighbours often stop at the gates around this time of year to marvel at the quality of the single suckled LM/CH calves compared to their dairy or dairy X equivalent.

I intend to keep suckler farming for the moment at least and draw whatever aids are available. If that becomes non-viable then I'll look to change but for now I'm able to make money as well as invest in the farm (reseeding, sheds etc).

The whole suckler sector is already skewed towards dairy. The geneomics scheme already preferences a dairy X heifer over a perhaps more suitable suckler bred female in terms of star ratings to drive up the value of the dairyX female calf. I always aim to buy a LMX or AAX myself if I need to replace a calf in order to maintain star ratings. The issue with dairyX replacement cows with single suckling is they can have too much milk for the calf and loose teats because of it.

If all sucklers jump ship overnight it will drive up the price of the dairy beef calf (simple laws of supply and demand) which will help the dairy farmers but will further reduce the margins available to the beef producer.

3 years ago I was in the mart selling yearlings. The pen before mine was a bunch of 7 FR bullocks which failed to secure a bid @ €1.50/kg. My animals (same age and close to double the weight) sold in the next lot at an average of €2.71/kg. I'm staying with the continental suckler for now regardless of the schemes available and will draw on whatever is available that doesn't cause too much hardship to claim.

There are hundreds of thousands of JE/JEx cows in the dairy herd. A lot of Friesian herds that we used to buy from have now introduced JE/JEx cows to up the solids in the milk tank. People fail to forget that crossbred dairy herds will use any breed of beef bull (including cross bred bulls) to try and disguise the jersey influence in the calf - angus, hereford, aubrac, speckled park, shorthorn, irish moiled. IMO the quality of beef cross calves coming from the dairy has been decimated and will never revert to what it was. A local dairy farmer near us milks about 50 FR cows, they would have originally been British Friesian type. He has regular customers every year for his HEx and AAx calves and doesn't have to go near a mart. Unfortunately farmers like him are few and far between as expansion favours the grass rats.

It's only coming into weanling time of the year so the numbers won't show yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,292 ✭✭✭Grueller

Not one thing wrong with that post Mythos. It is pretty much on the money. I would have been the same before I went dairying, but now I am completely anti suckler, FOR MY OWN SYSTEM.

I still have 40ish sucklers alongside the dairy herd as I have said here. For 10 months of the year they take up more time than the milking cows due to having too many batches, between dry cows, calved cows, replacement stock, having to separate heifer and bull calves at around 6 months, stock bulls away from cows. It is impossible to manage grass and creates some work.

I am getting out and I always thought I would miss the cows but I know now I won't.

Just one more thing. A lot of the anti suckler sentiment here is from lads that had sucklers and got out. Every former suckler man I meet, I ask him does he miss them. I have never met one to say that they do, whether they went into dairy, drystock or more sheep is irrelevant, the answer is always the same.

Agreed , my figures are very optimistic, firstly the calves won't do kg/day, secondly the guys paying €300 in march 2020 didn't know that the trade would be so buoyant now.

You've a system up and running and even that takes years to get that you get no surprises, you'd be a fool to change.

The influence is waning. While there is still cows in the system the numbers are dropping. There was s nowhere near the same number of HE straws used this or last spring. Yes there is still a few lads with bigger herds but lads with smaller herds have mov d away from them.

There is a few reasons there is more of a pick of high did Friesian bulls. No matter what type of cow she has the same nitrate level. The jex calves were getting too hard to get rid of. Along the west coast where you have to house JE influence raises fixed costs. It like any fad lads tried it some persisted but a good few moved away from it. Second cross FR are as good as many middle of the road FR's off them. Lads are moving slowly away from the poorer quality beef. I'll as well. It too easy seen in a young calf ( 10-18 days) when selling

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

If you look at my previous posting I have said there are area's in the county that have no choice but suckler's. Mostly hill land along the west coast.

The problem with too many Suckler bred cattle is there is no money for either the lad that has little choice but to do suckler's and it depressed the test of the beef market.

If the necessity was really there processor's would pay a bonus......instead when beef is plentiful they discount the heavy Suckler carcasses. Most Suckler bred cattle need as much ration as a Friesian to finish off grass. Inside in the shed they take longer to finish than HE and AA.

The 7 friesians were probably light for there age but the lad that bought them had a good twist. I could not see a margin on your cattle especially with 2019 prices for any finisher.

The rag has a front page headline this week try to sell itself. ''farmer anger over Suckler quota'' it could just as easy said farmer anger over further Suckler subsidity's. That why I always say it has an agenda. It will print one side of the story.

Slava Ukrainii

Every farmer in Ireland is subsidised.

If it was like New Zealand farms would have to be viable.

The expansion of dairy is 100 % subsidised by the entitlements, if a farmer rents their farm to a dairy farmer the dairy farmer draws the entitlements and pays it to the owner.

The irish government needs to encourage innovation in farming through grants for real innovation not supporting farmers to expand or life support for non viable farms. Rents for armchair farmers renting land should be taxed with the money going in to innovation in agri.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭minerleague

Yes every farmer is subsidised but this suckler payment is extra on top, agree with jameson above - give every farmer basic fair payment to help conform to EU rules and regs , and then let farmer decide for themselves after that. Didn't join BDGP ( never liked tone where someone else tells me which are " good cows " ) and probably wont join this one either . if anyone doesn't like cap on numbers free to not join.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭mythos110

The problem with the 7FR is that they failed to sell so not much of a twist for the man that owned them.

I run the 50 cows in 3 batches with stock bulls in a well paddocked farm and I don't spend hours of time chasing them around. They will normally run to the gate when they hear the quad or see me approaching with the dog. I let the cattle out for 6 weeks in the spring before they are sold and they will walk up to you and lick you in the field - not as crazy as some of the guys pushing the queit dairy X stock would have you believe. I've made a point of removing any cows with attitude problems and that definitely helps. Also, the calves are on a lyback in the shed for the first month or two in the spring so they get used to human interaction.

I'm making a modest profit from my sucklers before any subsidies with minimal input and expense which saves me having to outlay large sums of money to buy in cattle where the market could tank and I could lose my shirt. My meal and fertilizer bills are very low but I make a point of doing a bit of reseeding every year. I try to keep lots of grass in front of everything and let them do what they can. It baffles me how some lads expect to get cattle to thrive when the starve them during the summer being overstocked. Most of the profit on the farm, I choose to re-invest as I have enough off farm income to live off and I hate paying tax 😁. Also, I have a very low risk of importing disease into my herd as only stock bulls and an odd replacement calf are bought in.

The quota issue doesn't bother me too much as I have as many as I want to have on the farm at present, but I can see how someone looking to expand would be upset by it.

The cattle I sell every year are mostly bought by the same 4/5 customers in the mart so they are clearly making money from it. I've often held a few comrades and finished myself and you would be surprised how quickly they can finish and turn a tidy few bob - I've finished at 22 months off grass with 6 weeks feeding lots of times. If the suckler system changes drastically, I'd most likely reduce my cow numbers and bring all stock to finishing rather than sell as yearlings but this will mean bigger meal bills which I just don't want to take on right now.

Overall cap of BPS will stop this. It's interesting that while the FJ and IFA ( as do the INHFA but I understand from there membership) want no quota and increase subsidity for suckler's the ICSA and ICMSA are against it. As.well the FJ, ICMSA and IFA are against convergence (drystock farmers will benefit) the ICSA and INHFA are for it. Nearly a the organisations are for capping and CRISS and most want no labour allowance for capping except IFA and again the FJ.

It a matter of subsidizing farmers not the system. If you subsidise the system it gets sifoned off by non farmerr

Slava Ukrainii

The schemes are a load of boloney, weighing cattle and faecal samples.

Load a nonsense for jobs upstream.

If your in suckling you need a bulls/ai that you know can calf and wont be lazy needing assistance drinking etc and cows that wean decent sized calves.

The biggest costs in farming are labour (= time), tax ( like flushing money down the drain) and idle machinery/animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭paddysdream

This is a real win "friends and influence people " post .

Whats the big issue with the suckler cow ? The single suckled continental cow only arrived here in the late 1980's as a direct consequence of direct payment/subsidy .

Previous to that the idea of keeping any cow ,esp. a large one ,to rear a single calf would have people looking at you like you were mad.Yes it did occur in some very marginal areas but even there the stock kept reflected the terrain ie cattle that could in the main ,be outwintered without tearing up the whole place .

Here at home cows were kept till the early 1980's and once they calved we bought maybe 3/4 more to rear on them .Calves in the shed and cows let in each morning and evening .After maybe 10/12 weeks they were weaned and another couple put on the cow .She might be let run with the last one at grass .All FR or Her/Whitehead type cows .

Circumstances dictated that a change to bucket reared calves was made in the 80's .Reasons I never went for sucklers is that I could never afford them !!!!

Nah it was the investment needed to carry them when things tightened up in the last 25/30 years.The idea of an acre of concrete didn't appeal as the return didn't seem to be there .

Bass is on the money as regards the demand for different types of cattle .Whats this "quality" thing I hear about ?It cannot be the quality of the meat as cattle from the dairy herd are the quality selling/eating beef .

Is the the feed conversation ratio for the farmer ie easier to make a shilling from a bought in/home reared suckled weanling compared to a bucket reared one ?

Or is it what I think ;lads like looking at nice stock or what they perceive as good cattle ?

The following is not aimed at anyone in particular on here as haven't sat down ,went through everyone's posts and made a " full time/part time list" .

A fair few seem to run sucklers along with a full time job .Not for me and admire anyone who has that commitment .But stuff like investing in the farm to keep down PAYE and reinvesting any farm profits back in are not exactly conducive to the idea that sucklers are being kept for economic reasons .Sounds rather like people have a system/way of life that they are comfortable with and perceive any change to this as bad .

From my perspective I have a few sheep here as they were consistently the best paying system for me .Would I change next year if the long term prospects looked bad ?In a heartbeat .

Would I miss the sheep ? Not one bit . They are what I farm not who i am .Even with the sheep have no real gra for "nice " sheep ,rather ones that will leave a return no matter what they are like .With lambs quantity beats quality every day .Not bragging but looking at returns from 2 different factories for this year at least 90% plus of my lambs kill U grade ,the rest R at worst .But this is of no consequence as the price does not reflect this (maybe I should join a producer group but that's another story for another day ).

All the above is a long winded way of saying that I think the suckler cow is facing a slow demise in Ireland and people seem to think throwing good after bad will stop that .I don't think it will and at best will slow down the inexorable shift to dairy beef .

How many will stay single suckling if the cow is not supported over and above other beef systems ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Low input environmentally friendly grassland deserves support. Sucklers are the best option to utilise that. That is the only way a suckler deserves support imo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Fully agree with both your posts and that’s me too 100%. I won’t be giving up sucklers until I’m actually losing money. I’ll join every scheme going and always will. Most of the schemes take minimal effort and if it pays me money, then I’m happy.

paddocks and no wild cattle make sucklers no different than any other system. Keep 20 cows and finish all, nice little income afterwards.

Work off farm. Farm pays for all the household bills including house insurance, two cars and a jeep and a family holiday every year. And a trip to Anfield for me too 😉😉

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

You are been anti suckler in all of your posts...........quoting the 90's as the birth of the suckler cow................using the above term non-traditional.....what is your definition of traditional....the non traditional herds of 100+ dairy cows is a recent thing. My father who is in his mid 70's has had single sucked suckler cows for almost 50 years and in the south galway / north clare region this would be the tradition. we have a small mixed farm in 4 parcels and like alot of guys in this area he farmed p/t. Unfortunately, alot of these types of farms have been left due to age / death etc and with little or no interest from the the next generation have been rented out or bought by non-farmers for a few horses. The countryside is not the better for it. Our farms pays its way and the various subsidies and schemes are used for a multitude of things on and off farm. Alot of the posts on this topic would sicken the xhole of people.

My understanding is that he is saying that those who take umbrage at discussion which even mention the possibility of any change use tradition as a reason for continued support over and above other farming sectors .

The lack of interest from current generation in your area will hardly change with a suckler cow payment .Think the issue is bigger than that .

I would of course love to farm here like my forefathers did ;few acres of sugar beet ,malting barley and spring wheat ,couple of acres turnips ,multiple suckled BWH cows , some bucket reared calves ,a field of hay for sale ,flock of sheep ,maybe a few store lambs and of course a workman which was the standard here for many many years .

Things change ,maybe not always for the better but thats life .

If people were honest and went with the approach of the suckler cow sub being a support for social good rather than the best way to produce beef then perhaps ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

he actually mentions that there is no tradition of sucking until the 90's which is what I have issue with........I have no interest going back to way my father started farming or for that matter has he. For the exact opposite reason I have no interest in the factory farming that SOME of the dairy farmers are following...........tonne after tonne of fertiliser etc etc. What we do works well with the land we have......low input and high value output. I just dont want to be a tool for the dairy industry trying to put meat on greyhounds (and again NOT ALL dairy farmers). I really hope that milk prices stay strong for a long number of years and that the race to the bottom is a long way off. Either way I'm out..........long live the division of the Irish farmer, god help us if we worked together as one voice....we could actually achieve something worthwhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭dh1985

How is the dairy cow not subsidised. Do the farmers not avail of SFP or the butter intervention scheme a couple year back or avail of TAMs for all these new parlours milking the 200 cows. Maybe if these schemes didn't exist there would be less pressure on the beef industry also. There has been a 50% increase in dairy cows in the last decade, a 15% decrease in sucklers and yet the sucklers are the ones driving down the cost of beef. I understand the point you are trying to make but have you thought that if everyone went at the dairy calf to beef that the price of the calf would increase due to demand and drove any profit there is in that down also. And then we would be producing animals solely reliant on UK market that had just left the EU and are free to deal with anyone.

Also struggling to see how the Olympics in Tokyo or even a subdued Euros has any real impact on the price of beef. The hot weather maybe but the summer wasnt actually that great in the uk this year compared to there standard. More likely down to reduced supply in UK and europe and also food inflation

I wouldnt hold my breath for an improvement in dairy calves either. He is only interested in two things. Less work and more milk. Either of these are not achieved by switching to more beef favourable bulls. Easy calvings and short gestations will still leave the beef man with a group of coat hangers out in the field.

While there was a tradition of some suckler's along the west coast pre 1990, there was no tradition on better land of Suckler cows. I came from a hill farm in Kerry. There was 10-12 Suckler cows, 100 mountain ewes, we would rear anything from 12-20 Cal es as well. At one stage in the late '70 we were milking 3-4 cows for the creamery along with 1-2 cows for the house because it was more profitable than feeding the milk to the calves. We would normally milk 4-5 cows for the bucket reared calves. Milk was so strong in price there was no bucket reared calves bought in we only had the ones off the cows.

But most farmers were going to the creamery rather than suckler's with there 30-50 gallons of milk every day. Quota's and bulk tanks wiped out the smaller producer. Most lads forget that during the quota era while you had to pay through the nose for milk quota in Glanbia, Dairygold, Golden Vale ( the co-op on the better land) you got as much as you wanted in Kerry and Connaught Gold for nothing as smaller milk producers exited production and switched to believe it or not suckler's.

The advent of them on better land was that as dairy farmers got more efficient at production they stopped selling there calves/ stores so the drystock farmer on better land had to either go into sheep or suckler's.

Where I ordinated from there was 30 -40 small dairy farmers there is none there now

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭minerleague

The issue isn't about a farmer single suckling or not ( everyone free to farm as they please ) but whether one type of farming is entitled to an extra payment that another does not get. All farmers can apply to Tams Bps etc. I know tillage farmers feel hard done by at the moment anyway. No single suckling around here ( md west ) either as a matter of interest before subsidies.

• Advertisement

They'd be foolish to lobby against it, why should they give a damn about how the farmer feels about it.

Farmers will take money from any scheme they can get it from...... well I would've done so if it suited my system when I was farming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭dh1985

Subsidies are subsidies whether the are for the cow, the shed the cow goes in, the product the cow produces or the for the farmers that farms the cow. The point I was making was that dairy beef is also subsidised. Not directly as heavily as sucklers maybe but to portray as non subsidised and standing completely on it's own four feet is inaccurate.

The cow is only half the equation. The easy calving bulls been used heavily is a bigger issue. Watched a video of farmer Phil on a farm walk a few weeks back and he said he compared the performance of freisian stock bulls to ai AA and HE bulls aimed at the dairy market and the stock bulls out performed them well. He was making the point that he was finding these AI dairy bulls been used as poor performers compared to even a friesian stock bull. That wouldnt fill a man with confidence on the future quality for the dairy calf.

Again with the "dairy industry " stuff .Is it a religious thing or what that people seem to have an objection to "dairy" beef ?

Beef is beef no matter where it comes from .

And your thing about the division in Irish farming ;that's a real "everybody's out of step with my Johnny " type statement .Its the suckler cow man having a tantrum that's gonna cause that .

Another who will stay at sucklers until they are losing money .Would 100 a cow sub. keep you at them if they were only breaking even ?

If 20 cows can pay all the household bills ,pay for two cars and the holidays etc then what the fcuk are all the rest at ?

Thats what ? 40/50k a year so a net margin of 2k per cow .If I knew sucklers could give that return then I would keep a few in the morning .

• Advertisement
Advertisement