Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

Most won't, because they know that if they deplete the country of their high wage skilled employees, they'll have no one to purchase their products!

They'll also lose their tax breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

Company i work for is having "the talk" with us all next week about their plans for returning - i'm dreading it - happy out with wfh!

I'd say they'll have us all back by Sept 1st - surprised though that companies are saying their plans on it before Mickey gives the details on the planned roadmap at the end of the month!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Dr_Zeus

Reckless of companies to be pushing plans on staff at a time that Covid is utterly rampant, growing evidence of waning, hospital numbers gradually ticking up and the winter coming. They will completely piss off employees too by doing this.

Good companies, who care about their staff, will be in no rush and will wait for the situation to drastically improve before putting staff in indoor offices spaces. The best approach to office reopening now is either "wait and see" approach or pushing until March.

Bad companies will open offices now over staff safety.

I hope when the government announce the roadmap over the next week or two they would have the foresight to see that we've a risky Winter ahead and offices should remain shut till March.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,456 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

At this rate, it is only realistic to see offices reopening in the new year. Reopening too early has huge risk involved and for what? Just of optics?

Can only speak for the company I work for and can guarantee its all about control and micro managing.....this wfh doesn't suit them because they can't nit pick over every little thing!

• Advertisement

I have a feeling they are just gonna go ahead and do their own thing tbh, took them along time to allow us to wfh as it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

That's already very common. Where I work, we have about twice as many India-based staff as we have IRE/UK based. Depending on the nature of the work, it can be very cost-effective.

Outsourcing to a 3rd country, unlikely if the management are pushing to get bums back on seats, they even less likely to use staff overseas if what they really want is them back in the office "under management control"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Any manager in business knows by no that out-sourcing isn't a one-for-one swap. They're not thinking that at all. I'm not even sure they even want to be in the offices themselves. Certainly not in most IT jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

• Experts are warning that next month is too soon to reopen offices.
    • Professor Anthony Staines of DCU said he did not think “with the best will in the world” that all “plans and mitigations” can be in place if the government announces a September reopening later this month.
    • We have some of the longest commute times in the world. Risk of outbreaks on public transport if schools, colleges and offices reopen.
    • If staff are brought back to work in close quarters the level of disruption will be “astronomical”.
    • Professor Jack Lambert of the UCD School of Medicine said the Government had given very little direction on the kind of set-up, especially with masks. (He is 100% right - there is a total lack of clear and consistent guidance as to whether masks should be worn at all times in indoor offices).
    • UCD School of Architecture Orla Hegarty said the situation is “a bit of a perfect storm”. “We are not doing anything to make buildings safer. We know what dangerous conditions are, but we are not measuring them.” Prof Hegarty said the Health and Safety Authority was telling employers to ventilate buildings, but many did not know what this meant in practice.
    • Meanwhile Musgraves have pushed back a return to February.

Nutshell - Experts are warning September is too soon to reopen and there is a total lack of guidance on what needs to be done to reduce risk in offices i.e. clear guidance on masks and clear specific guidance on ventilation.

Will the government listen?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Dr_Zeus

Good to see some media pressure on the government to push back office return dates. It's the right thing to do.

I get the comments, in the article, that there is a need for clearer guidance, when offices eventually reopen, with masks and minimum standards for office air con / ventilation. With masks it should simply be made clear that they should be worn at all times when indoors. Difficulty but necessary. With office air con, I'm not sure what people expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭BrianD3

That's very interesting. And all of this before the statutory right to request remote work or the work life balance directive become law.

I know of many people (who had been working well from home) who had great difficulties with childcare last year and experienced rotten attitudes from their public service employers. I'm not aware of any dismissals but there certainly was pressure coming on, references to contracts and how childcare was not the employer's problem. Awful stuff at a time when people had enough to be worried about and when the publlc health advice clearly stated that people should WFH where possible.

I have a caring situation myself which was undoubtedly exacerbated by Covid - zero supports from the state with Covid used as an excuse. That, combined with being ordered back to the office circa 6 months into the pandemic resulted in me leaving my job. Having seen that WRC case I probably should have brazened it out but hindsight is a great thing. I got zero support from the union at the time with the attitude being"well, you know management want us back so....."

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Szero

Looking at the hospital numbers today and NPHET expressing concern today ... I would think that there is no chance that offices will be allowed open in September. None.

It would be total madness to add additional hospitalisation risk when there is no need to add risk, the activity can be done at home.

How I think it will play out ... I suspect that the government will long-finger office reopenings to October/November in the road-map. By the time that comes around, we could easily be facing a Winter wave, which even if mild, will justify extending WFH until Spring.

To be honest I can't see offices back before next Feb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

• Registered Users Posts: 25,902 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Totally agree.

But I expect a growing emphasis on having proper work-from-home setup and behaviours, if you want any hope of it continuing past then.

During the week, I was watching a senior manager do a presentation, and she had to leave for about 2 minutes because her dog went berserk when the postman rang the doorbell. FFS. By now people should have figured out having their animals either back in daycare or at least out of audio range during meetings, and the doorbell turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,003 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

2 mins. I assume the company went bankrupt immediately after this calamity.

More on the Right to Work From Home legislation ...

• Tánaiste Leo Varadkar is expected to publish views from members of the public and stakeholder groups on the right to request remote work next week — with a new law to follow.
    • A new law that will set out clearly how WFH requests should be facilitated as far as possible.
    • Leo said “After the pandemic people should have a choice; so long as the work gets done and business and service needs are met. That’s the principle I want to apply.”
    • Up to one million workers could be covered by new arrangement.
    • The new law is also expected to address what would constitute reasonable grounds of refusal of a request to work remotely and how to then manage.

The devil will be in the detail and how companies and HR departments apply this. The legislation clearly will give employees the right to request to WFH and give the employer less scope to say no but will companies find wiggle room? If not, there will be floods of requests under this legislation.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Two of those need a health warning. Staines is an unapologetic Zero COVID zealot and Lambert is a man of loud opinions. I've no idea who the last person is. Best to see what advice and guidance comes out of the real decisions makers this month. It will not be surprising to see the end of September and into early October proposed as an available option.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

It's been years since I typed the words Jesus Wept.

Not everyones door bell is an app.

I'm sure for the person on the call who saved 3 hours from not having to commute will suffer the 2 mins wait time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

The main complaint I have seen about pets is that they are not on screen enough in wfh meetings!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

She's lucky she doesn't work for many of the MNC in the states, where you're allowed to bring your pet to the office :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,675 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I could definitely see this happening in the private sector, but that article is about “London weighting”, an allowance paid to UK civil servants who live in or near London to help with the cost of living. Irish civil servants don’t get paid extra for living in the capital. WFH, if it becomes permanent, should actually help reduce the often high turnover of lower grades civil servants in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Just quoting my own post from a few days ago given how the conversation is going. Loads of public sector workers who were working from home, either partially or fulltime, can't anymore. About half of my building were WFH either partially or fully time and all of that is gone now with office full again, and no sign of it coming back. And we have started getting the odd breakthrough COVID case amongst people returned as well.

Is this not just for public sector though?

Don't recall private sector ever being in the mix with that

Public and private sector are both applicable for the new Right to Work from Home legislation.

i.e. soon both public and private sector employees will have the right to ask to WFH full time and employers will have more limited scope to say no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,456 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Nice amount of empathy from you there. Never change.

Advertisement