Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Andrew Pollard, the vaccine lead at Oxford in developing the AZ vaccine, said last week that the transmission of the Delta variant is such that every unvaccinated person will “at some point meet the virus”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/10/delta-variant-renders-herd-immunity-from-covid-mythical

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

That is behind a paywall unfortunately but it may be the same research .

Done by medical researchers at Universityof Cleveland, Ohio

Myocarditis in young males 2 to 17 years post vaccination is stated as 75.6 per million .

Post Covid this research estimates it at 450 per million at least ....

" Six out of 6,846 (0.09%) of the Covid-afflicted males aged between 12 and 17 in the study developed myocarditis, which works out to 876 cases per million. But given not every case of Covid and myocarditis is likely to be accounted for in health records, and on the basis of certain assumptions, the researchers adjusted the figure to 450 per million cases."

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

Yes, the Cleveland study is one of those mentioned in the report. Apologies, I forgot about paywall (I have a subscription but I think a certain number of articles are freely available each month if you want to try on a different browser).

No . You say I am arrogant your post reeks of it .

I said those children could have asthma as an underlying condition because you are discounting all those children hospitalised, as if " sure they were going toget so sick anyway because of their underlying condition"!

And then you extrapolate that only 16 HEALTHY children were hospitalised with Covid !

How do you know this ?

Do you even have a fvcking clue what health conditions that children have in Ireland as opposed to the US before you start with your amateur statistics ?

MIS C ..Yes it is rare . I did say that if you read my post.

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 44 JEC

HSE statistics are amateur statistics?

I don't recall mentioning the UK.

We were discussing myocarditis risk, you changed the topic to MIS-C when you couldn't win your arguement.

You directed me a study about MIS-C cases in the US. The study found 4404 cases of MIS-C following COVID. There are a reported 4,292,120 cases of COVID in US children. That is a 0.1% occurence. Is it not?

Do you know how many cases of MIS-C have occured in Ireland? HSE state it is 'extremely rare'. They quote no figures.

You are quick to dismiss serious adverse effects from vaccination as rare but are blinded by the fear of 'extremely rare' COVID side effects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I'm sure he's an epidemiologist to make such a claim.

However 'at some point' does that come before gen2 vaccines or after?

If it's some point in their life, then certain risks from certain side effects will change (although with age, overall covid risk changes also)

It's really not that simple is it. I'm sure he's right, but it will be over years where everyone will be exposed, not the immediate short term.

The discussion of MISC was in relation to the very serious risk of inflammatory conditions among others that children are at risk from . Without even being sick enough to be hospitalised . That was the point .

I repeat I never said it was anything but rare , but it is one of a few conditions , the others less rare, that can affect children after infection with Covid , more so than from vaccination.

You said children are more at risk from vaccination than these which I have merely pointed out is untrue .

You try to deflect with the statements about hospitalised children in lower numbers than given by HSE because you reckon they are not healthy children ? Some have mild underlying conditions like asthma , it does not mean they can be discounted .

I posted research from the States by the Medical Research section of a renowned University, which as it is recent is not of course peer reviewed yet , but has used vast electronic data from all over the USA , admission and health records ...and yet you choose to only read the first paragraph .

My point stands...Myocarditis is more of a risk to young males between the ages of 12 to 17 from Covid infection mild or otherwise , than from the mRNA vaccines . About 10 times more of a risk . I don't think that is an insignificant risk .

Typo , it was US not UK , corrected .

But it was YOUR statistics that I clearly referred to as I think you know

Where did you get 17 HEALTHY children only hospitalised from your own amateur statistics ?

I remember a previous poster coming out with the same ludicrous statement , do you know him by chance ?

Post edited by Goldengirl on

@Goldengirl You quote a US study, that is not peer reviewed, reporting that the risk of myocarditis following vaccination is lower than the risk following COVID infection. You are happy to take this as gospel. There is no data on myocarditis following COVID in Ireland but, I think it is safe to assume, you believe that the same statistics apply.

I quote US data, referenced on the HSE website, reporting that 7 out of 10 children hospitalised with COVID have an underlying condition and apply that to Ireland and you freak out that I am wrong to assume the same data can be applied to Ireland because ' how do I know this?

'Follow the science' (but only if it says what you want it to say!)

I would also like to point out that any case of MIS-C would require hospitalisation.

No its not the same .

Underlying conditions of children in the States are different from underlying conditions in Ireland .

For a start asthma is more common here , and obesity there .

Myocarditis infection data is not available here yet , doesn't mean it is not happening.

The reason I am quoting this study is because it is on a very very large scale , and has been carried out by the same medical researchers that do research for NIH in America , although this is not a NIH study .

I have not read the entire study just the abstract so will reserve my opinion on it until we see the full text and it is peer reviewed .

So no I don't take it as gospel , just a very large, probably relevant study and very recent .

Relevant because myocarditis is not reliant on underlying conditions, unlike severity of Covid disease in general .

Any infected person can develop myocarditis .

MIS C patients would be hospitalised , yes but not necessarily as Covid patients as it develops a few weeks after infection .

In the start of the pandemic Paediatricians were noting that patients were being admitted with symptoms mimicking Kawasaki disease but on questioning some of the family had had Covid in the previous weeks , but not necessarily the children , only tested positive if tested at all .

They subsequently tested positive but not infectious when admitted to hospital

So rare though .

Its myocarditis we were talking about .

• Advertisement

Why would the type of underlying conditions involved change the fact that 7 out of 10 children hospitalised had an underlying condition?

I am fairly confident that the HSE would not quote this statistic in their vaccine literature if they believed it to be irrelevant to the situation in Ireland.

It’s easy to find this stuff

it’s actually much harder to report part of the story and then draw erroneous conclusions based on a misrepresentation of the facts as known than to just share the facts

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

Maybe slightly more. Have also heard 270,000. 75,000 registered to date. 10,000 done yesterday. Kids like an event so it would make sense to try to do the other 65,000 this weekend between the pharmacies, GPs and MVCs. A testament to how compliant the Irish are. Not necessarily a cause for self cangratulation in my view.

So all that's left from next week is second doses and not that many. Maybe 250,000 in total over the course of the next 4 weeks including children . Expect the MVCs to start closing soon.

We also have mRNA deliveries of at least 200,000 a week in addition to the 700,000 mRNA yet to arrive that we just bought from Romania.

Of course the elephant in the room is that the more we vaccinate the more cases rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,775 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Pictures on social media show the Aviva as one the venues for children, so they've certainly got stuck straight into it in a big way. Presumably the stadium will be used again for youngsters tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Are the pregnant teachers who are not getting the vaccine considered "anti-vaxxrs"?

The questions that keep me up at night.

The article is about pregnant teachers who will get the vaccine, just won’t be fully vaccinated before schools return

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I know a couple of kids getting theirs in city west and they’ve been queuing for hours. Seems something isn’t working right.

There's ~420k still due for a second jab, are you just making up the 250k figure?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

What elephant in the room? We've mostly opened up with the more transmissible Delta about and most cases are in the 16-34 age group who are going through the vaccination process. All is as expected really with ICU for those fully vaccinated(14+ days), even with high number, very low(6 people since April according to ronan Glynn the other day)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Why would cases rise the more we vaccinate? Cases rise because of the nature of this variant, not because of vaccination.

• Advertisement

Kids like to queue. They do it even when unnecessary for things like Penny's and concert tickets. It gives them a sense of occasion. Which is why it makes sense to give it to them this weekend rather than stretching it out over a week. Doubt any were "queueing for hours" though.

MVCs will be very quiet next week. Most will probably stay closed for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Any evidence that most MVC's will stay closed for a few days next week? Or just more speculation on your part?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

3 hours for my nephew. Bit much expecting 13 year old to wait about that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Ireland to cease deliveries of AZ, Janssen vaccines

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0815/1240941-covid-ireland/

When Penny's reopened kids had a choice. Queue for a few hours on the first and second day or wait a few days and walk in. Many chose to queue.

Same here. Register straight away and participate in the weekend kiddie vaccination event or reschedule or wait to register a few days when MVCs will be much quieter. But obviously not the party/ occasion event that they were getting this weekend.

65,000 registered on first day Thursday. 10,000 done Friday, 20,000 Saturday,. Maybe 30,000 today.

Another 25,000 registered since. They will be done next week. Maybe 5-10k per day. So all anyone that didn't want to queue had to do was wait for second day to register.

Post edited by robinbird on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,580 ✭✭✭cgcsb

My neice, aged 12 registered on Thursday and got first dose on Saturday. Very quick, in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Surprised to read this, thought they had gone all the way down through the age groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I find this a strange attitude to take. If you landed in hospital for any other reason (collapsed, started coughing up blood, hit by a car, etc.), would you tell them "I don't want any of these new fangled treatments or drugs without a long-term safety profile of both the technology and the specific medicine, stick to what they used 20 years ago. But first I'll do my own assessment of risks and benefits, can't be relying on these scientists and regulators. I'll let you know when I'm ready".

Not sure what it is about vaccines that makes people think they need to second guess them, but not practically every other part of modern medicine. Presumably it is because vaccines are preventative and most other medical treatments are in response to a specific problem and therefore more pressing. I wonder if mNRA had first came out not as a vaccine but as a treatment for a problem you are already suffering from, would people be as wary of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I can't find stats for Ireland, but about 1/6 and 1/4 of the UK and US populations respectively believe in astrology.

With that level of woowoo it's really amazing that we have the level of vaccine uptake that we do.

Advertisement