Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,417 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Social values matter.

Would you at least agree that Denmark is socially more progressive than Somalia or the Congo? And not just marginally, either; as if it were some debate. It's a social chasm of galactic proportions.

Therefore, it is more responsible to accept more migrants from Denmark even if migrants from Somalia or the Congo have equal skills.

That's the point I'm trying to make.

As for @DubInMeath, Anne Widdecombe is a devout Catholic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Widdecome converted in 93 after the Anglican church began allowing woman priests.

All that shows is that religion has nothing really to do with her views. She's just an obnoxious cunt with a list of undesirables based on her own prejudices.

But then most obnoxious cunts tend to have a list of undesirables based on their own prejudices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,668 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Why would anyone try to answer this ridiculous question? They're not cattle, they're individuals Each with their own qualities and faults, like the rest of us. What "social value" do you think you offer to this country? Fück all from what I can see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,732 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

You are correct I forgot she converted due to female priests being allowed in the Anglican church

Explain to me where this fear mongering 1.5 million comes from ?

You are comparing a country which is a member of the EU with countries in Africa which makes it a question in bad faith.

Danes can come here in any number they like and vice versa due to that arraignment which makes your question an unfaithful one. If I had a choice to cherry pick a Somalian or a Dane from their country for a job here and assuming they both had equal right to work then nationality would not come into it for me

But if you knew that one had a 90pc chance of accepting LGBT and rights of women, and the other had a 90pc chance of being anti-LGBT and retrograde for the rights of women, wouldn't that impact your choice?

• Advertisement

My choice on what ?

I told you nationality would not be a factor in me judging someone.

How do you know 90% of Danes are LGBTQI+ friendly and 90% of Somalians are not BTW ?

Going by everything you have posted you would chose the one being against lgbt and women's rights.

Oh come on, are you seriously suggesting that the average Somalian has the same, decades old progressive values as a Dane?

Two pages ago I advocated proscribing Anne Widdecombe from entering and settling in Ireland on precisely the same grounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I think what breezy is saying is that they don’t hold the same bigoted beliefs as yourself.

You advocate a lot of things then try and say that you didn't, but everything you have posted states that you would select the person against lgbt and women's rights.,as long as they aren't dark skinned or Muslim of course

• Advertisement

What!?

Is it now bigoted to suggest that the Danes are among the most progressive in Europe? The same Danes who passed gay marriage in 2012?

Is it now bigoted to suggest that Somalia is, in contrast, moral inferior from a social values perspective? I think not.

At one time, we were a cesspit of moral depravity, controlled by the Catholic Church in our case. But we escaped, and have since advanced. Thank goodness for that, too.

The idea that it's now bigoted to suggest that some countries are more socially advanced than others is quite palpably absurd.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,725 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Again avoiding the fact check on the 90% BS comment.

I am honest enough to admit I have not met enough Danes or Somalians to judge and would take either at face value. You have little experience too but you are a xenophobe so it doesnt matter to you

Seriously where did the mad 1.5m crap come from ?

Also this started with you using a survey on British Muslims which you used to attack Muslims so why the sudden switch to nationality ?

For clarification, are you arguing that it's racist to state that Ireland is more socially advanced than, say, Saudi Arabia?

That we are socially better than them.

I raise my flag to say that we are; and that their version of morality is inferior to ours.

Deflect deflect deflect. Wee have gone from British Muslims to Denmark v Somalia to Ireland v Saudi Arabia.

I suppose its an easier subject for you than the complete lack of interest from the "silent majority" for GB news

• Advertisement

Rather than score rhetorical points, wouldn't it be rather more edifying to engage with my questions?

The mad one about the 1.5m Dames moving to Ireland ?

This is the GB news thread sorry for mentioning it

Oh now you are switching to Ireland v Saudi Arabia?

It's a question that seems to be ignored.

And, to me at least, it's a genuine question. Social values in a country matters.

Oh now you are switching to Ireland v Saudi Arabia?

Some would argue that Saudi Arabia is far worse than what I have described.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Have you described Saudi Arabia at all ?

I think you are starting to lose yourself in your own nonsense.

Wanna get back to talking about GB news yet ?

It certainly does show what their target audience is however

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,318 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You didn’t suggest that some countries are more socially advanced than others though. Your question to breezy was regarding which preference they had based upon the beliefs that YOU hold about other people based upon their country of origin. Your beliefs and your question to breezy based upon your beliefs about others based upon their country of origin, are the very definition of bigotry!

And since you mention it, when did the great escape from the Catholic Church happen? As far as I’m aware the Catholic Church still has massive political, cultural and social influence in Irish society, whether it be in sports, education, healthcare, community services and organisations, from births to deaths, communions, confirmations and marriages in between!

I’m Catholic myself, and if people associate me with Anne Widdecombe on the basis that she too is Catholic, and they are of the belief that I share Anne Widdecombes views and wish to discriminate against me on that basis, that too, is the very definition of bigotry. It’s no different than assuming that because I’m Conservative, people would associate me with your views, and if they were to do so on that basis alone, that too, is the definition of bigotry. I don’t share either your views, nor the views of Anne Widdecombe or Nigel Farage who claim to hold Christian Conservative values as a means to legitimise their propensity to come out with all sorts of cnutish outlandish nonsense in just the same way as you do, literally as you have admitted many times yourself - “just to get a rise out of the lefties”.

It’s not bigotry to say anyone who engages in that sort of behaviour is nothing more than a miserable cnut, and some miserable cnuts will use any excuse to justify their behaviour, including twisting the meaning and understanding of everything to suit their own purposes. It’s 100% guaranteed they’re never worth entertaining, but the reason they should be challenged is because they should never be able to excuse their behaviour by associating themselves with people who behave nothing like them.

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

Xenophobes? No.

All I make is logical and reasonable points. Clearly, a tiny minority will make a lot of noise and feel in the majority here. But the majority are at home, or watching this discussion online, who know perfectly well what I and others mean - and what I and others intend to say.

No malice, just common sense conservatism.

• Advertisement

So much of what you said tonight is xenophobic.

But now we get to the truth of the matter which I have commented on more than once here already. You actually believe you have an audience out there. You truly believe that by keeping this thread live that you are speaking to some vast silent majority out there and are spreading the GB gospel according to his Farage.

Honestly kid nobody outside of the few of us her making fun of you are listening to a word you are saying

Ah back to the silent majority, a claim, or some would say delusion, that hasn't worked out to well for ye in the last few refurendums or elections.

As for common sense conservatism who knew it meant that black and mixed race people who do charitable work are pedophiles or psychopaths and that anyone who is a bigiot really isn't as long as they are white and Christian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,012 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The switch in platform has really done Boards huge harm. This thread and it's troll have taken the very basic rules of this forum apart with utter contempt tbh. Moderators and by extension moderator intervention on some fora seems to have been abandoned. Be it they are yet to get grips with the new mod tools? Or the preponderance of issues has led to a falling down moment of clarity and the need for a break 😉

The rules of the forum are simple but absolute.

1. We have one guiding principle: Don't be a dick.

2. Do not post any material that you know or should know is hateful, abusive, harassing, false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, vulgar, obscene, profane, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or illegal.

3. You are free to express your views in a forceful manner provided you remain civil. Hate speech, insults, and purposely inflammatory remarks (i.e., trolling) will not be tolerated. Do not post threats or state or imply that any individual or group is deserving of harm. If we tell you to refrain from behaviour that we regard as uncivil, or that in our view detracts from a productive discussion, do so or face revocation of your posting privileges.

Yet over the course of this thread we have constant bad faith arguments, near zero rebuttal and outright ignoring of requests for same and Christ forbid someone seeks evidence for a nonsensical number. To engaging in outright racism on multiple occasions without sanction, in the guise of thought experiment or opinion. It's not so long ago that generalisations and stereotyping were non gratia here. Perhaps a return to those simple, common sense and maybe even conservative rules are in order?

It might not be quite the 19th century, or even the warm embrace of a Cromby,but, surely actual discussion can be had without the hyperbolic, racist and dog whistling bullshit that has permeated much of this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

"Common sense conservatism" seems completely devoid of common sense and rely on too many "thought experiments", followed by "cultural coat" clutching.

Anywho. Would anyone prefer to fight a Elephant sized duck or 1.5m duck sized elephants?

And your ultimate conclusion is that people fleeing oppressive regimes shouldn't be given an opportunity to have a life.... Cause you view every one of them as morally depraved due to their nationality. Xenophobic as ****. Now you'll get offended cause I've stated the obvious.

Also, pretty sure that your sudden concern for the rights of gay people etc is false as feck. Two questions, if a gay person was fleeing Saudi Arabia due to fear for their life, should they get refugee status? How about a trans person in the same scenario? I know you like to pretend that there's not LGBT among the refugees but there very much so are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,917 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I honestly get the impression that he's trying to convince himself more than anyone else. Conservatives love to deride liberals for allegedly needing safe spaces and being unable to debate and yet they are the ones who need to constantly deflect as well as needing their own special TV station which they then don't even bother to watch.

A thief thinks everyone is stealing from him.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

The 1.5 million number isn't important. I selected it at random.

We could have chosen 2 million. But the fundamental question is valid: should we preferentially import people with progressive values as opposed to from countries which are the very antithesis of progressive values.

I chose Denmark as a clear example of a progressive country. I picked Somalia for the very opposite reason. I also mentioned the Congo and Saudi Arabia.

To me it's blindingly obvious that we should seek to limit the spread of bad anti-progressive ideas into our country. There's nothing xenophobic about that.

It's simply trying to conserve the social progress that we have made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

We don't import people. Immigration into Ireland is controlled, you're just doing the usual UKIP scaremongering tactic.

We allow immigration to usually meet skills gap that exist. Accepting refugees is a different issue and our numbers are tiny.

Your talk of massive numbers is just muddying the waters.

But it's pretty easy to define you as bad and anti progressive... You view the poor as lazy and have been likening a charitable football player to sex offenders.. The same player that has been recently subjected to racial abuse...

• Advertisement

I wonder how many Irish women or LGBT people would be happy to move to Saudi Arabia?

It's quite obvious why they wouldn't - including me.

As I've said elsewhere; these ideas are morally depraved: stoning women and LGBT people; chopping off hands; treating women as private property; giving men all rights over women. Somalia, Saudi Arabia, Afghanistan etc. - are homes to these morally depraved ideas.

How can anyone complain about xenophobia by wanting to stop the spread of these ideas into our countries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Christy42

There is a difference between a government and its people. The UK has had immigration from the Middle East for decades and gay marriage is still legal there. Never mind execution for it. So obviously implementing horrific laws and allowing immigration are very different things and equating them is just an excuse for hatred.

I would also add that I would be more inclined to support anti immigration policies on the basis of women's /lgbt rights if the same people were also in favour of kicking the likes of David Quinn and Anne Widdecombe out as well since they tend to have similar issues. However as is it seems inconsistent to support those getting media and yet banning those abroad for their view points.

True, but that's why I've focussed on polling.

52pc of British Muslims believe that homosexuality should be illegal. 23pc believe that sharia law should be imposed. 4pc are sympathetic to suicide bombers.

And this is British Muslims, settled in the UK perhaps for generations.

Imagine what the views may be in Sudan, Somalia, or Saudi Arabia. You cannot disentangle the two; the polling from these countries suggests that it's often the other way around: the government reflects the values that much of the population hold.

You cannot know by virtue of someone's nationality what they individually believe. But you also cannot vet someone's mind at immigration control. Therefore, we must go by polling and statistics.

And you are statistically more likely - on a gigantic scale - to find socially progressive values from a Danish plumber than a Somalian plumber.

That's the only point I'm trying to make.

"How can anyone complain about xenophobia by wanting to stop the spread of these ideas into our countries?"

When was the last time someone was stoned to death or had a hand chopped off in your country?

Sharia law, such as that imposed by Saudi Arabia and Somalia, is routinely used to stone people and chop off hands. Often, there's an audience.

I'm suggesting that it's better not to import people who support those kinds of views into our country.

It's about conserving social progress.

An Irish LGBT person wouldn't feel comfortable being themselves in Somalia. Why? Because the country is riddled with homophobic views and attitudes. If we then imported 1.5 million Somalians into Ireland, we are importing exactly the same people with the same views into our country. Obviously, the 1.5 million is not going to happen, I'm merely using the figure as a thought experiment of the social damage that would ensue if it were to happen, compared to migrants from, say, Denmark, who have been brought up with socially advanced opinions.

Nigel Farage has just provided an update on the migrant crisis, which no doubt he'll review in more detail at 7pm on GB News this coming Monday.

GB News is the only channel that focusses on this crisis. Other channels are only just beginning to address the question but not nearly in enough detail.

600 economic migrants a day is 18,000 a month!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

"Sharia law, such as that imposed by Saudi Arabia and Somalia, is routinely used to stone people and chop off hands. Often, there's an audience."

And? Different countries have different laws, that doesn't mean there will be public beheading on Grafton Street.

As for your idiotic 1.5 million number, it's probably going to be closer to 15 people, you don't know these people you don't know thier beliefs or why they have left thier country. They could be leaving BECAUSE of the laws in thier country, they could be afraid that they themselves may end up (literally) on the chopping block.

But you don't look at this, you tar all 15.4 million Somalians with the same brush.

The US has a higher rate of death sentences than Somalia, They also have a higher murder rate. Maybe we should stop them from coming over bringing thier views with them.

According to 2013 survey by Pew, 95% of Egyptians believe homosexuality should be illegal.

We don't have statistics on Somalia, but it's likely to be around the same figure.

You wouldn't want Anne Widdecombe in this country for her anti-gay views, but you seem to be perfectly happy for 95pc of Somalians and Egyptians to hold exactly the same views. You quoted Somalia's population of 15.4 million people: meaning that 14.63 million Somalians want homosexuality illegal. I'm sure their attitudes to other aspects of Sharia law, and attitudes to women, are equally as bad. I'm not tarring all Somalians, I'm tarring 95pc of the population who openly and proudly admit to holding deeply abhorrent views.

The only consistency is coming from me: I don't want extremist opinions against LGBT people and women imported into our country.

In contrast, Denmark was the first country in the world to grant legal recognition to same-sex unions in the form of registered partnerships in 1989. The 2019 Eurobarometer found that 89% of Danes thought same-sex marriage should be allowed throughout Europe, and 90% agreed that "there is nothing wrong in a sexual relationship between two persons of the same sex".

Do I want to take the risk with the Somalian plumber? Nah, I'll take the Danish plumber every day of the week.

It's as simple as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭Christy42

Lol at invasion. How can anyone take this seriously. People want to say that there are valid arguments for various immigration policies then fine but don't get annoyed at people not listening to "perfectly valid" arguments when you are going to spread around tweets talking about an invasion. How many guns, how much military training is in that group of migrants. Invasion is a term used to evoke feelings of a military take over and is ridiculous hyperbole. If you want others to have respect for your arguments then at least have respect for your own because this just makes it look utterly ridiculous. Trump used the same techniques as opposed to just talking about the numbers he called it an invasion. If you want to know why people laugh at Farage and his utter nonsense this is a good example. If he wanted to talk about the migration issue in a logical manner he wouldn't have gone with invasion but he would lose that argument so goes tries to endear feelings of people coming here and taking over because it is all he has.

As for Danish plumbers being more likely to have more progressive views than Somalian plumbers you got very annoyed at conservatives being painted with that same brush so tough.

Wow, you take Egyptian statistics and just assume the Somalian ones will be the exact same 🤣

You're bouncing all over the world cherry picking numbers to suit your xenophobic narrative and spouting scaremongering comments but we can all see that you're really just a racist who is afraid to admit it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement