Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭pauldry

Certainly not as wet this week and knew it couldnt be.

We had so much rain over the weekend there must be very little left in the skies bar showers.

The rest of August wont be too bad. May not be great but Higher pressure could build from the West.

Again the weekend looks bad and showery early next week but then improving a bit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Almost any change is an improvement on what we have had over the past 2 weeks and thankfully a change to much drier weather is on the way once we get this weekend out of the way. Temperatures should also improve with low twenties possible in many areas with hopefully decent spells of sunshine developing. Depending on the exact positioning of the high and windflow mid twenties are also possible at some point over the next week. The intense heat over Europe may try to surge north-wards but I think if that happens it will get cut off by the Atlantic before it gets a chance to affect Ireland in any way, but London could see above 30C for a day or so if this happens.

I think all of us here would gladly take a few days of low to mid twenties instead with some nice spells of sunshine similar to the June warm spells. This has been a fairly decent summer but has been let down by the washout first half of August, it would be nice to think that the second half of August will see a big improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Hopefully the ECM comes on board with that sort of weather as it currently has temperatures struggling to reach no more than 20° in a few select spots in the second half of next week (mainly the weekend) with mid to high teens to be expected in most places, not unlike the temperatures being experienced at the moment however less wind than now so the current slight chill in the air should not be so pronounced as it is at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

It's overcast here, spitting rain with a stiff 13 knot breeze and temp is 17c, and it isn't in the least bit cold or even cool out. It feels warm out to the point of being uncomfortable. If you feel cold in this sort of weather, than I don't know how you cope when it actually does get cold in winter.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

You have quoted my post and yet never addressed any points I raised in relation to your post.

OK

• Advertisement

If you feel uncomfortably warm in this sort of weather, then I don't know how you cope when it actually does get warm in summer. 😅

Glorious August continues in Arklow

Nudging 22c,simply beautiful 👍

PS, it's gone up a few degrees since my earlier post in "Current Weather Conditions" so I would now describe it as mild(ish) and blustery. A light hoodie will do now, compared to the heavy one I wore this morning.

I'm telling you it isn't cold. If you feel cold in the height of summer, then I would advise getting your blood checked or something. Don't tell me its cold when it isn't.

New Moon

Are you a terrapin or something? Huddle up, it's getting chilly out there! 😏

New Moon

• Advertisement

I think they should club together with Gonzo and buy a Summer house in Bali somewhere 🤣🤣

It's all relevant to the individual. About 17° this evening at my location, strong winds and cloudy and it feels cool to me. I went out for a walk with the dog just before 6 and put a light hoodie on. Got to the front gate and turned back for a heavier hoodie.

My house is generally always warm, currently at about 24°. It was generally between 26° and 28° during the recent warm spell. So when I go outside to temperatures a good bit cooler, combined with a decent wind chill, it feels cool to me so I put on an extra layer and all is good in the world.

I doubt Met Eireann would have described the temperatures in Ireland today as being warm, never mind uncomfortably warm. Mild at best.

I was out for a quick walk about 7pm. Overcast, breezy, odd brief light shower and temp of 15c. I only wore a shirt and it wasn't cold. About 95% I seen out and about also were not wearing heavy tops or a coat, and those that were mostly older women, who do, understandably, feel the chill more than most others.

New Moon

Highdef

You're not normal 🤣🤣

Currently 17c in Arklow and I can see the moon and the remains of a jet trail

The sun has just set behind croghan mtn out of shot

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭glightning

Only an Irish man could say these statements and keep a straight face whilst doing so 😂

Oneiric 3Aug 12, 2021

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/117743993#Comment_117743993

I can't understand how anyone can be cold at this time of year. Today was breezy, the odd shower and some broken nice sunshine, but at no stage did it ever feel remotely cool even. Like any August, or any summer month, there is that constant dull warmth in the air that rain or shine, polar or tropical, wind or calm just cannot shake off.

Same as this one. Only an Irish man! We have some of the worst (or should I say uninspiring) weather in the ENTIRE northern hemisphere during summer. All the other countries pity us for the miserable climate we are stuck with.

If you think otherwise then you must have never spent much time out of your homeland

Oh no, another reptile! Marine, I think we will need a bigger house in Bali. 🤣

We are still fresh out of a prolonged and crippling heatwave, and yes, I still say it is warm. I agree that we have the most boring, soul annihilating climate on planet earth, but cold in summer, and especially in this part of it, it never is.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Pay a visit up to my folks place on the Donegal coast if you think it doesn't get cold in summer in Ireland! Low teens with a stiff northerly breeze in off the Atlantic definitely doesn't feel warm. Fairly normal to have the heating on well into June and even on the odd evening in July.

And I'd gladly chip in for the house in Bali, some of the best thunderstorms I've ever seen there

If they're buying in Bali

There better be guest rooms

Lots and lots of guestrooms 🤣🤣

• Advertisement

"Pay a visit up to my folks place on the Donegal coast if you think it doesn't get cold in summer in Ireland! Low teens with a stiff northerly breeze in off the Atlantic definitely doesn't feel warm" - Donegal Storm

Sounds like heaven to me DS!

Still 14c here in Galway and felling muggy as hell. Another uncomfortably warm night ahead. I'm really looking forward to crispy feeling Autumn evenings ahead.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

total deluge today it seems, esp for the southern half

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Not a drop yet in my location and the radar definitely doesn't look like there will be any deluge

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

well look at VENTUSKY 😐️

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Sigh........ Did you actually read my posts? Did I ever mention I was feeling cold in those posts you quote. I'll save you time in checking, I didn't.

Reading some of your posts on another thread it seems this is a regular occurrence.

Where are you located? Rain is showing clearly at the radars I've looked at and I can confirm it's raining here. Met Eireann is me de facto but the others I use are pretty accurate for my location at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

South

South Tipp,only 0.2mm recorded so far,cloudy and feels humid at the momemt

Yeah, I'm a bit perplexed too. When you mentioned about it being cold, you clearly said that you were referring about last week, or have I got something wrong?

And yes, some days last week were very cool and depending on your temperature preferences, one or two days could have been subjectively described as being cold for the time of year. I got down to single digits during a very heavy shower and that was during the day. So much so that I lit a fire in one of the stoves. The house was not cold but it had a nip with the temperature in one of the rooms down to 21°. Was mentioned before, my house is generally warm and 21° in the summer months is rather chilly.

I have to admit that the feeling of the radiant heat from the stove gave me that nice feeling of being all comfy in the house on a cold windy winters night with rain lashing against the window. In fairness, at the time the weather was pretty much that, the only difference being it was daytime and it was high summer.

Apologies for the sideways photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

that lad in Arklow has to be trolling... just using stock pictures from previous sunny days passing them off as current weather

😑

• Advertisement

Looking back at the radar, it looks like the rain band passed over you overnight and it was rather weak at the time. After it passed your area it increased somewhat in intensity. It's in no way a major area of rain though, in any case, more nuisance value.

Post edited by highdef on

Advertisement