Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Irish protocol.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭BluePlanet

It's not ridiculous.

Those were the exact same rules with animals entering the UK before Brexit.

And since Brexit the UK government placed NI inside those same EU rules.

Quelle surpise.

If you feel aggrieved by that, i'm not saying you shouldn't. Direct your grievance toward those responsible, in this case the UK government. I would not expect the EU however, to change the rules of it's SM to accomodate.

Post edited by BluePlanet on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

You are missing something. UK companies can set up in another region of the UK and have incredible access to the EU.

If this is managed correctly then it becomes republicans worst nightmare ie NI becomes a very attractive asset to UK.

You might chat to your mates, but every opinion poll disagrees with you.

You paint a scenario that is both highly unlikely and highly humorous.

I think you are suggesting Scotland leaves the Uk. Then England leaves the Uk. Then we have the Uk of Wales and NI. Then wales decides to leave.

then I have no idea. Does it become the UK of NI 😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭KildareP

Remind me again why you want rid of the NIP...?

I don’t. I just want rid of the bad bits. I just heard on radio the other day that several GB and ROI companies are researching bases in NI. Why wouldn’t they, it’s a no brainier.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SevenAte9

It will be when we get rid of all the petty checks etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,742 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

But it's Unionism's nightmare. Once again the dichotomy. You are pretending all is hunky dory but political Unionism is 'ating' itself from within trying to find a way to accept where they are - where they have led themselves.

• Advertisement

But the "bad bits" are what makes it good for NI in your post.

If there are no Irish Sea checks, then NI will no longer need (nor will it even be possible for NI) to be in the EU SM&CU.

The border realistically ends up on the island of Ireland and the EU SM&CU stops there instead.

In order for this outcome to have happened, a breach of the NIP by the UK will have occurred meaning the TCA is suspended and all UK products destined for the EU will have anything from WTO tarriffs right up to punitive trade sanctions levied.

In such an event, not only is NI now arguably in a worse position (no access to the EU SM&CU anymore), but the rest of GB is locked out of being able to trade with the EU as well. How do you reckon Mr Johnson will sell that one?

The Eu will, I believe, in due course agree to scrapping the long list of petty non-sensical checks. It’s inevitable, there just has to be a wee bit of time and some choreography so as it doesn’t look like they have caved in

The only way the checks will be scrapped is if the UK agrees to align itself to SM&CU rules or the UK reneges on the NIP.

downcow, could you explain to us why the checks are there? Like what is their purpose?

That’s a really good question.

a very small number of them are there to provide reassurance to the EU, and that’s fine. I have no idea, bar either beaurocracy, petty bloody mindedness or punishment for Uk, why the others like I give examples of recently are there. Could you explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

The EU would like to be rid of the UK problem so the idea that its punishing it is hilarious. The idiotic Tory/DUP Brexit is doing the punishing of the UK all by itself and its full effects have not yet set in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Suckler

Completely incorrect and this has been explained numerous times.

This was the Brexit that the UK forced; The EU (or the Irish Government) didn't come up with a new list of "petty" lists or "punishment lists". They were the result of the UK's "Oven ready deal".

You consistently misrepresent the rules as petty etc. The UK government selected the route, these are the consequences but yet again your ire is completely misplaced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Yes....just like all those other times during the negotiations that the EU caved. It'll be more, 'NEVER, NEVER, NEVER.....Okay' as the UK media tries to sell utilising existing easements within the Protocol as a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,742 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Easy to see what is going to happen here (bookmark this post) whatever happens with the Protocol belligerent Unionism is going to claim a win.

downcow is setting the ground to do the victory dance here. He'll just ignore all posts to the contrary. Same as they did with the GFA which after decades of hate and attempted sabotage of, is now a victory for Unionism. 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Thread had some purpose at the start and was quite interesting because the OP had nailed his colours to something definitive - a court case was being taken and (in his opinion) it would be won. Being a fast case, we knew that very quickly he would be proven right or wrong.

Now however, he has set himself up a 'no-lose' position. Either the EU will concede on the 'checks' (in which case the OP wins) or he can keep with saying that they will do so sometime in the future (he can't lose here, can never be proven wrong).

You really need to put some time scale on these claims dc, otherwise it's kinda pointless.

• Advertisement

That’s you opinion. I don’t happen to agree. Time will tell.

what will you say if checks start disappearing? Eg if dogs don’t need rabies jabs?

Well tell me for an example. Is doing away with the rabies jabs one of the existing easements that could be utilised?

scenario is that you and others will claim the Uk just used easements. So let’s list a few things up front that you think are definitely not easements that can be utilised, and the nod or when it does/does not happen, either one of us can admit we were wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

It's simple, Downcow.....rather than making a pointless list, should any changes be made we can go through the Protocol and point out whether existing easements were utilised.

What does your weird suggestion actually achieve? It isn't like the text of the Protocol isn't readily available to make this comparison should any changes be introduced.

Firstly the court case has a long way to run and I don’t recall saying definitively that anti protocol would win.

I have said a few times that I would expect dramatic changes to checks within two years.

maybe you can tell us when you think the Uk will end the grace period. We were told all hell was going to break loose because they unilaterally continued grace. Eu have backed out of the shock and awe court case and it’s been extended further.

You are just evidencing that it is not clear. Otherwise you could quite simply tell me whether there is an existing easement which can be utilised for the rabies jabs to be dropped.

if it is so clear just point us to the text on this one ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,643 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The "petty checks" start disappearing when the UK is willing to enter into agreed arrangement for that to happen. The mechanism for agreeing those arrangements already exists; it's built into the NIP protocol. But so far the UK has been reluctant to operate it.

Essentially the UK wants checks to disappear because, e.g. in the case of rabies, the UK as a matter of fact, currently rabies-free. But many parts of the world are, as a matter of fact, currently rabies-free; there are still movement controls on animals coming into the EU. The EU's position is that being currently rabies free is not enough; we need a mechanism for knowing that this animal, coming from the UK, is free of rabies. An animal which is coming immediately from the UK may previously have been in a third country, or may have come into contact in the UK with an animal from a third country. If the UK thinks it reasonable for the EU to admit animals without checking where they have been or what their rabies status is, the assumption has to be that the UK itself is willing to admit animals on that basis, so this isn't a fanciful concern. Hence, there need to be agreed arrangements, commitments, whereby the EU can be satisfied that an animal coming from the UK is rabies-free; they won't just assume it.

There were such arrangements until recently; the UK chose unilaterally to terminate them. The EU is open to agreeing replacement arrangements, but the UK apparently is not. The "petty checks" apply, therefore, because the UK chose for them to apply. When the UK chooses for them not to apply, their removal can be agreed. Downcow will present that as the EU backing down. The EU will smile quietly to itself.

It's not really opinion when it is the fundamental basis on which the EU operates.

If/when checks start disappearing, I will look to see what changes were made to allow it.

The notion the EU will sacrifice its own rules to cater for the UK who don't want to sacrifice their own because "sovereignty" is nonsense.

If checks start disappearing, it will just be the UK signing up to certain things. The same as these extensions which are bizarrely seen as UK victories when it's just the UK agreeing to follow the EU rules for longer.

Let them have their fake victories. If downcow sees the future removal of checks as a UK win, great.

Let’s lift the pretence.

give me an example of checks currently imposed by NIP between GB and Uk that cannot be lifted, which have an impact on day to day life?

unless you are saying they can all be lifted by negotiation between Uk and Eu, which means we are not disagreeing and we can get rid of all the bad bits

l don’t need these victories that you are all trying to spin. We have had the big victory ie businesses in Uk and Eu are preparing to set up bases in ni to benifit from our advantageous post brexit position. Now we just need the silly stuff which impedes movement of goods around the Uk removed. That’s going to take a little time but will happen

when this all shakes out you will be wanting to unify with us to gain the financial benifits lol 😝

• Advertisement

The whole point of checks are to be proactive, not reactive. Imagine we had proactive checks for Covid way back when?

Rabies may well be irrelevant today between the EU and many global nations, not just the UK.

How can the EU be assurred it won't suddenly become relevant tomorrow? Next week? Next month?

How can the EU be sure that the UK is maintaining the same standards tomorrow on rabies checks into its territory that it does today?

How can the EU be sure the UK will inform it immediately upon detection of rabies within its territory?

The answer to all of the above is it can't, because the UK won't agree any commitment to maintain that same level of standards on checking for and managing prevention of rabies from non-EU countries and the UK is under no obligation to inform the EU of any outbreak should it occur.

Thus, the only way in which the EU can manage the risk of rabies is by specifically checking for it at its external border, which in the case of the island of Ireland, is in the Irish Sea between NI and GB.

You can sit and pick off lots of individual checks in isolation and dismiss what they are checking for as irrelevant because it isn't present either side of the checks right this moment, but that doesn't mean the checks themselves are irrelevant, absent any formal agreement from both sides to agreed shared standards.

Starting checks for rabies after an outbreak is already well established is closing the stable door after the horse has bolted (literally).

As for victories, well I don't think anyone in the EU will claim anything got to do with Brexit as a victory. It has been a massive distraction, a huge timesink and a large hit to businesses across Europe trying to adjust to an ever changing landscape because the UK keeps agreeing to things only to do an about turn before the ink has dried.

Advertisement