Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

In July, 16 people in Ireland were reported as dying of Covid. c.31,000 die in Ireland each year from all causes, so in July approx 2,600 died of all causes meaning Covid deaths are 0.6% of all deaths at the moment. Just 0.6%. For comparison 17 people died on our roads in July - more than from Covid in the month.

Since the pandemic began 90% of deaths are in the 65+ cohort and 88% had underlying conditions. Since the early summer when the vaccine programme has been rolled out widely, the numbers of deaths has dramatically declined.

We've lost perspective in this country unfortunately and are still dealing with this more like it was last winter than the reality on the ground now.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Government here largely control the press rte etc they wont toe from the party line so they have no worries there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

It's been clear for a while now that we are no longer dealing with a COVID crisis. What we have now is a HSE crisis, where they are using the virus to deflect from their own failings for a long time. Remember, NPHET is made up from a lot of HSE top brass so it makes perfect sense for them to want restrictions to maintain as long as possible to help them "catch-up" on the million plus outpatient appointments etc. They don't care about anything else. This is where the government have failed miserably to take anything else in to account.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Sorry helicopters and drones?? That’s a new one!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Who cares who was at the Merrion? It's the wailing and hand wringing about crap like that that has this government hiding behind NPHET.

• Advertisement

No, I'm saying more restricted. Masks weren't required in March 2020, people weren't banned from having a cup of tea indoors for deciding not to get a vaccine in March 2020, and vaccine passports weren't a thing in March 2020.

I still can't think of a single restriction that has been relaxed. Even pubs and restaurants reopening has been done in what I consider to be an appalling way. I cannot believe that the creation of a two tier society is actually popular. I'm not surprised it's happened, but it frightens me that it's actually popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Seriously have we gone back in time to March 2020 with this ludicrous post?! If anyone is still wondering at this stage why we are where we are it’s because of people like this. Even with all the knowledge and evidence we now have they still think we are under serious threat trotting out the same bullshit they did a year and a half ago. It’s time for people like you to put on the big boy pants and start living in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Absolutely! It is an utterly scandalous situation when even the smallest number of hospital admissions in this country brings the whole health service to its knees. And yet of course over a year and a half after the great Flatten the Curve nonsense they seemingly haven’t done a single fcuking thing to improve it. And the great Irish public just keep on accepting this……

• Registered Users Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭User1998

The UK government have rightly accepted that a certain amount of covid deaths per year will have to be accepted as normal. 600,000 people die in the UK every year and its not worth spending billions locking the country up to save a small amount of people (compared to their population) from dying. The people most at risk have been vaccinated so its time to move on.

Meanwhile in Ireland we can’t have a grown up conversation about death despite circa 30,000 people dying here every year

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Israel has a large minority of Orthodox nutters who refuse vaccines and then suffer out of kilter death rates. They also live dozens to a house and I believe there is a tradition of cousin marriage, which would leave many of them less healthy than an average person to begin with.

Israel is one of the worst case studies you could pick to claim this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

It is a siler bullet in England, nearly every state of the US. Most of the EU, while more hesitant than the UK, is still largely re opened.

This kip is the only place trotting out this "cautious" bullshyt. Is there any other place in Europe with our numbers on stadium attendance and outdoor concerts?

Any other country where not even a plan has been issued for nightclubs?

There is no other reason bar certain nerds in NPHET and the cabinet are thoroughly enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Instead of wasting money to keep publicans hotels etc quiet by paying them off and also giving part time workers 350 euro a week while living at home with mam and dad to go on the p1ss with all this wasted money should of went to bringing our decrepit health system up to scratch -now as people have pointed out the hospitals are again in the sh1t with a few admissions and people on trolleys again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

This is the worst thing, we have pissed away billions with nothing to show for it. Those billions invested in the health system could have saved lives, but we only obsess over deaths from one respiratory illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

You should read more often then. There are pro-restrictions posters on this thread every day arguing the toss.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭revelman

No. I think this thread is pretty much weighted the other way.

Since there are so many recent posts about death rates, I’m reposting a post of mine from another thread:

I find it incredibly frustrating when people talk about how “few” deaths are linked to Covid. What they seem to forget is that we had that number of deaths in the context of public health measures such as lockdowns and social distancing. If we did not have those measures, then deaths would be much higher. Look at countries where there was a lax approach to public health measures e.g. Brazil and Iran. The Economist reports that Brazil had 550,000 excess deaths to June of this year. This would be equivalent to over 30,000 excess deaths in Ireland over the course of the pandemic. Excess deaths statistics are the most accurate way to track the impact of the pandemic. These are deaths over and above the normal death rate each year. In Brazil, the spread of the virus was such that young people and children without underlying conditions ended up getting very sick and unfortunately some of them died. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-56696907

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭dubdaymo

IMHO, the worst thing is that the Govt introduced apartheid without any discussion or debate and nobody including the media batted an eylid.

This all at the behest of one man who has been awarded the freedom of the capital city.

You say that the science says that vaccinated and unvaccinated people carry the same viral load. This is incorrect.

Read this: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02187-1

Firstly, a vaccinated person will only harbour the virus if there is a breakthrough infection. There have been far more breakthrough infections with Delta than with previous variants. Nobody knows how many infections are currently breaking through. This is being studied right now but scientists assume it is a minority of vaccinated people. Some estimates have said between 5% and 17%.

If you are one of that minority of vaccinated people who have experienced a breakthrough infection, then you are correct that you carry the same viral load as an unvaccinated person. But the Nature article above states that all the signs are that you will be infectious for a far shorter period than an unvaccinated person.

So there really is a big difference between being vaccinated and unvaccinated.

'No. I think this thread is pretty much weighted the other way.'

Literally every day there are pro-restrictions posters on this thread making pro-restrictions arguments. You are making pro-restrictions arguments yourself.

When I first waded into this thread (and the main thread) it was me vs. everyone and nobody wanted to listen to any criticism of lockdown. Most of my posts were ignored and I was called 'insane'. I wasn't crying about it I just kept making arguments.

Besides which the pro-restrictions people have a global monopoly, having captured almost every institution, government, newspaper etc. on the planet but a single thread on an obscure discussion board is 'weighted' against them. How terribly unfair

No one is pro restrictions. Some people understand them and even when things have not being relaxed as much as they could have, they still can’t get over the ridiculous stuff being peddled here

Science states that vaccinated and unvaccinated carry the same viral load when infected. Vaccinated are significantly less likely to be infected and will be infectious for a significantly shorter period meaning a massive reduction in overall risk of spread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

People dislike the slippery slope argument but this is exactly why even fully vaccinated people like me were totally against the horseshit vaccine passports for getting into restaurants. Because it was never about restaurants, they were just the easy first target, and once they were accepted the overton window shifted and now they can do the same thing to schools and every other part of society. The precedent is there after all.

And as you say, the crazy thing is that they are not backed up by science, vaccinated people can still spread covid so they don't serve any relevant health and safety purpose.

The cheerleaders will cheer no matter what illogical rubbish the NPHET government come out with but things like this should really make even the dumbest people stop and think to themselves.

'No one is pro restrictions.'

You know what I mean mate, pro as in thinks its the soundest policy.

However much dissatisfaction you feel from the posts and posters here, contrary views aren't disallowed - you're here to give your own opinion as well.

Anyone who thinks its too unbalanced needs to wade in themselves with comprehensive arguments. Report posts that are insulting/bullying. That's it.

I will leave you to it.

The most ridiculous things are being asserted on this thread. Several people this morning have said that vaccinated people can transmit the virus in the same way as unvaccinated people. Not one of them seems to understand that a vaccinated person can only transmit the virus if they become infected first. And only a small proportion of vaccinated people will experience such breakthrough infections. Yet, the idea that there is no difference between being vaccinated and unvaccinated in terms of transmission is being repeated over and over again as gospel.

'I will leave you to it.'

Then its on YOU that this thread is unbalanced cause you aren't bothered posting here regularly. Nor is the other poster who complained.

Why don't you join us more often then there will be more posters with a different point of view? But no you're heading for the exit. Cheerio

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Plenty of people are pro restrictions. A guy in work yesterday said to me he hopes we lockdown again. Plenty of people out there like this. Lazy bastards basically.

The only reason we will have a winter lockdown is cause the health service is on the brink of collapse.billions wasted into the black hole of pen pushers filling out reams of paperwork and the rest.but good enough for us as a people for taking this **** under ff,fg and the rest.

I see too they are hinting at testing for the flu now.joke

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Spiderman0081

Oh I’m with ya on the unnecessary overly cautious rules everywhere. They are ridiculous. But I don’t believe that covid vaccines are the “silver bullet”. The amount of breakthrough infections and the immediate need for boosters tells all. They are a led bullet at best

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Leaving aside basket cases like Brazil for one minute, how many lives were saved here in Ireland due to having such a strict/protracted protracted lockdown and restrictions?

We don't really need to track excess deaths here to know the real number as we have been one of the more transparent countries when it comes to reporting COVID related deaths. What we will have to track is whether we see an uplift in non COVID related deaths in the coming years with many of the other vital areas of the health system put on hold or seriously reduced in capacity.

Anyway, we could argue round in circles all day about the benefits of lockdowns and what the real costs were. What we know with a very high degree of certainty is that the vaccines work. We have 1800 cases a day and 155 deaths since the start of April (with many of those coming in April/May). This thing is over from a public health emergency point of view.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

What ain't happening? Or did you mean to reply to my EP post? I'd agree that won't be happening with the clowns we have in charge.

Advertisement