Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Give him time. The bubbles in champagne can make you very drowsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

Are you being deliberately contrary? That demo farm was set up, as all experiments are, to determine the facts and profitability (or otherwise) of sucklers. Hypothesise, test, then check results; these prove or disprove the theory. That's how science works.

Your observations on the convergence stuff are hard to fathom. What did you want? I see in the IFJ this week a 40 Ha farmer with €473/Ha entitlements will have their payments cut by a MINIMUM of €6.580 in 2026 and potentially €8,440 per annum. So you think this is a good idea. I do not and I applaud the IFJ in the first instance for highlighting it and secondly for opposing it wholeheartedly.

Bit obtuse there. They have a dairy calf to beef trial running for 1 or 2 years now; they give details on each animal if I remember correctly.

The profits were miniscule.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

That was the 4+ Suckler farm, Teagasc had the Derrypatrick herd, there was the Dawn Suckler farm( traditional suckler), there was Suckler herd set up at the Salesians in Pallaskenry as well as at other Ag colleges. They had all them figures all of which failed to make a case for suckler's ( actually Dawn more or less refused to publish the figures). So WTF did we need another. It was to show the great unwashed how to do it. I not contrary but when I see BS I call it as it is. I followed all the figures, I went to a couple of open days at Pallaskenry as it is not to far ( about 30 miles) from me, I saw there FR bull figures as well. Along with that we have the figures from the BETTER farms for the last 10 years us.

The stance on convergence is that drystock farmers in general have the lowest payments/ HA and per farm. Dairy farmers have higher payments and higher rates. While the FJ made a point about a single farm convergence and Criss will put more money on most drystock farmers pickets. By the way I will lose as I am above average, but from now on around the ring everyone will have the same rate

There was no farm set up for rearing dairy cross calves to any great extent. Any research in general ( mostly by Teagasc) is on a 20-22 month finishing system. They pushed the U16 month Friesians bull system until the processor wiped out the margin. They kept trying FR bullocks at 20-22 months until due to its failure they finally put them out to grass and killed them at 26-27 months(May/Early June). God help is they could not even carry a few to 30 months to see if they graded better. Any research is about again high stocking levels, grazing ideal dairy grass heights, baling paddocks if they miss a rotation, feeding cattle to achieve a certain growth rate.

And as you said they made a miniscule profit, that more than any of them have made from f@@king sucklers where the FJ farm lost money before la our and land rental costs and Dawn refused to publish there farm figures. Teagasc finally have set up better farms for calf to beef. Any of these systems are tried on better type land.

So after all this there is no research on calf to store on poorer type ground. There is no research on store to beef going to 30 months.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

As I said they were a mixed bag. 60% O+ and 40% O=. 3’s and 4’s in the fat scores. Carcass weights from 329.5 to 434.7kgs. All 27 to 29 months old. The 434kg was an exception, the next heaviest after that was 396.9.

One against the other they averaged 368kgs at 28.5 months old.

As QA animals they average €1,563

As non QA they average €1,490.

Happy enough with them as they haven’t had an ounce of meal since last winter.

• Advertisement

I see we have a comedian. If you look back over the majority of my posts you’ll see that since the update it’s normally about this time of night when I’m on WiFi that I post.

No champagne, I don’t think we’ll ever afford that out of beef farming but I’m just glad I have the cop on and experience not to be one of the clowns selling factory fit stock in the mart for €150 a head less than their factory value.

It’s a pity more lads wouldn’t put in the effort to learn how to weigh and value their stock and not be dragging down the prices. It’s probably not an issue for lads that are at it as a hobby and don’t need the money but for those of us that need to make a living it’d be nice not to see lads giving them away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Every farmer needs to know the value of their stock, there is only good profit for 1 person in any animal & every farmer needs to get that for themselves, that's why I sometimes go to the Mart in June & July with good R+ grade cattle as they generally make as much or more in mart at that time. But anything O /P the factory is the only place you will get their full value. Or if you are selling beef from the 1st August until after Christmas you will always get a better price in the factory than the Mart. Plus don't ever be afraid to bring an animal home. Now with the online buy you can also sometimes negotiate a little bit more if you aren't happy with the price.

That 368 kg at 28.5 months was excellent. I would be lucky to do 320 kg at 29.5 months (75% FR) and average maybe €1,275 or less.

You criticise all the trials as not doing exactly what you want and want more trials for your specifications. The obvious intention in these trials is to ascertain what works economically and what doesn't. What's the point otherwise? Trials are expensive and take years. Only conspiracy theorists would ascribe bad faith to those that organise and run them.

There were going to be losers in the CAP round but the scale of the losses (for some) is extreme; in the last CAP the losses were just about tolerable. The current proposals will wipe out intensive and semi intensive beef. Effectively the CAP becomes a wealth subsidy for farmers - the more good land you have the more you get from the CAP. The 100 acre farmer gets twice what the 50 acre farmer gets and the 200 acre farmer 4 times as much etc etc. You like that? I don't.

That’s it in a nutshell really. I’ve made that point on here numerous times before. There’s only room for a profit for one man out of every animal. Maybe when prices are up where they are this year there’s a small profit for 2 men on an animal but that’s about it.

It’s the reason I can’t understand lads complaining about not being allowed more than 4 movements on an animal to get QA. If they’re being moved that many times nobody’s making money.

• Advertisement

Your argument on convergence is fundamentally flawed. The higher rates per HA are paid to dairy and tillage farmers. You will see a transfer of payments back to drystock farmers in general. Lads with hight rate payments have had 20 years to use these payments to develop there systems if they haven't it done by now then there is no hope for them. The majority of farmers have smaller land holdings and the majority of farmers have lower than average farm sizes. If you cannot understand that this will benefit the smaller farmers. So at present the majority of sub 50 acre farmers get less per HA than other farms. So they have a low rate per HA and low number if HA

I am critical if the fact that research by Teagasc, Ag colleges and other bodies on beef system spends 60-80% of research money on the Suckler system which is about 30% if the beef we produce. Most other research on any other beef system is on intensive production. They have never looked at workload and cost( investment) V Profitability. Any research even on suckler's even is mostly on good quality land. The majority of suckler's are on marginal or hill land. The majority of drystock farmers are on lesser quality land than research is carried out on

You just do not seem to grasp the facts when they are put to you.

Slava Ukrainii

There’s 10 more of that batch left now that weren't fit to go. 3 of them are big framey bullocks that will kill out above 400kgs but are nowhere near fat yet. There’s 3 or 4 more like you describe with probably about 75% friesian and the remainder are whitehead that plain and simple just weren’t as good as the rest.

They got their first bag of meal yesterday so they’re on 2.5kgs a day now and they’ll be left at that for a few weeks. Then, depending on how they’ll have done since, they’ll be upped to 5kg and they should be hanging by October. Shed space is a problem so they’re going off grass one way or another.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭morphy87

You done well with them,what weight were they when you left them off on grass do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭morphy87

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

My criticism of the dairy calf feeding is highlighted on this example, sucklers would be well over that weight at heifers 20mths and bullocks 22 mths.

22mth bullocks would be 40kg heavier DW without any problem or fancy feeding

I only fed my own barley with soya so couldn't go to high rates, when you say underage are you saying under 30mths.

I'm quoting 20 and 22 mth cattle..... like eight mths in the difference

1 Angus, 2 dairy limousine and the rest all whiteheads. They would have been 500-550 going to grass in the spring.

I agree completely with that and it’s why I’m so confused about why lads are willing to sell so cheap in the marts. Them bullocks are not the stock I would normally have. They came through an older bachelor relation of mine and they were what he would have always reared.

It’s heifers I’d always keep and I’ve gone through figures here a few times before on them. I’d keep anything I think can turn a profit. I’d have U+ to O- cattle all eating out of the same barrier in the winter. Bucket reared white heads I’d have killed by Christmas or January when they’re 20-22 months old and I’d be expecting them to be 280-300kgs dw.

Continentals I’d be killing at 22-24 months old and be expecting 360 - 380kg dw.

The way prices are this year them bullocks left a twist but if the base price was 40 or 50 cent less there wouldn’t be a lot out of them.

40kgs DW will not cover the cost of a Suckler cow not to mind you will keep two stores where you keep a suckle rcow and followers

Slava Ukrainii

I think what Wrangler means is that they’ll be 40kgs heavier but achieve that 8 months earlier. The second suckler bred animal will already be a third of the way there by the time the dairy bred is ready.

• Advertisement

She only has to provide a 350 kg weanling for the cost of keeping her for the yearwhatever that is,

a weanling that will out perform the dairy calf .

Some one is selling below cost for you to make money, it just can't be done

• Registered Users Posts: 5,218 ✭✭✭Grueller

€700 wrangler no matter what way you cut it up here. And that is here in Wexford on a 120ish day winter. Has to be far more in the west.

It was the long winter and heavy land that made it difficult here, if it was simple to put in the cattle in bad weather like the dairy farmers it would've been a help, but the farm being fragmented meant that couldn't happen.

The guys on your sort of land able to calve in february and have a long grazing season would have great wealings at the end of the season

Well some very sound posters have liked it, What's the problem

Spring weanlings generally made €1000ish here. Generally now have Autumn born weanlings. They are ready to use grass come the spring. Even at that there is still next to nothing in it when the cost of the cow is taken out.

Hard to believe they don't make money even with €1000 weanlings,

A few pound in it wrangler at that but the cow costs €700. Add in a couple of empties and a mortality rate and it soon eats more into that too. I had 80ish of them at the height and never managed to sell more than 74.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

Jesus lads what are ye feeding these cows. Have 30 cows here and they don't cost 4k a yr to keep. That includes fert vet diesel electric and repairs to machinery. No debt to service. Biggest expense is tax and pension.

Replace the bull every 7 yrs and buy 5 replacement calves every year and rear them by bucket. Max time spent looking at them is 1 hr a day. Calving shed camera on phone. Never have the vet out only for test. Only dose when the symptoms are there. Produce decent weanlings average price runs close to 850 a yr. Think I have had 3 empties in the last 5 yrs.

Reckon I make money never have to supplement the farm from the wages or cap payment.

• Advertisement

6 bales @ €25 is €150

350kg ration for calf to weanling is circa €100 (July born calves. Eat 2 kg per day in the shed for 120 days. 56 days creep at weanling and before sale at 2.5 kgs per day) First calvers may also get a shake from the bag which also helps bring the average to this.

Tax and insurance on jeep (70% farm usage) is €10 per head

Veterinary is €50 per cow (Testing, dosing, the callouts, vaccination for lepto, salmonella, pneumonia, blackleg. All of which I have had problems with in the past.)

Contracting for slurry and dung €10

Fertiliser outside of silage €40

Electricity €15

Farm insurance including machinery, public liability and my parents house which is part of the yard €15

Diesel €25 (almost use that in green alone not to mind white in the jeep)

AI averages out at €10 per head. I also have a stock bull but do selective AI

Professional fees €17

Straw €20

Land rental €70

Scanning, hoof paring, tags, bvd testing, knackery charges (let's face it, we all lose an odd one), minerals, cost of bull divided over cows €30

Repairs, servicing and replacement of machinery (Try to upgrade one machine per year, possibly every 2 years. For example new spinner this year €5500, cow box last year €3000 on top of trade in, 12x5'6" dropside trailer the year before €1300. Average €3300 ÷ 80 cows = €40.) Add in servicing and repairs at €10 per head and that is low makes €50.

All of the above in my system is €612. I have not included any phone, building repairs, depreciation or repayments off of the top of my head. I have also divided by 80 although 80 sucklers never sell 80 calves. 75 would be more realistic. That alone adds about 6% to the costs.

I realise Veterinary is high but it is what it is. I am not massaging the figures. €4.50 for testing, €5 for dosing cows and calves, 4 vaccinations is another €15. That is €24.50 per cow alone.

Advisory

Feel free to knock them but there are the costs. Put a figure on all of the headings above in your system.. and you might get a surprise.

Advertisement