Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Anyone notice there is 2 home jersey's ,

Have to say its an absolute disgrace clubs do that ,sell one for 70 pound the home "stadium Jersey" & one for 100 pounds for the "match" jersey ,

I don't buy jerseys for myself haven't since my teens (get the odd training gear ) but the kids want the "match" to be cool in school and it an absolute rip off,

100 pound is crazy money ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Anyone got the fantasy football code

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

A business trying to make money,the shock of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I wonder what will happen to him now, no loans forthcoming for him?

Will he be like 4th choice keeper I wonder?

Makes no sense with that other Pitaluga kid around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'd say at 18 we can kind of discount Pitaluga as being any sort of factor anyway regardless.

Would expect another loan for Karius though. The loan moves tend to really kick off closer to the end of the window, as teams (both buying and selling) look for permanent solutions first and then resort to loans.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Real fans....bluster about not needing a midfielder...this kind of stuff from Klopp doesn't encourage me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Hasn't it been like this for a few years now? I may be imagining things but didn't New Balance also offer a more expensive option for supporters? At the very least I remember it being like this last year as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I like to think they are saving on not getting a midfielder this summer because they will go all in for Bellingham next summer.

I was also wondering are they waiting to see how Neto comes back from is injury before going for him in January before Salah and Mane head off to AFCON.

Likely need two next summer,

Milner will be gone & giving the last 3 years Ox & Naby will need to total reinvent themselves to be kept ,

Yup, been like this for a long while. And it makes sense to be honest. The players version is a proper slim fitting athletes top, while the 'stadium' version is a bit more basic and, erm, 'forgiving' of the average fans girth. So I've no problem with the concept - but the prices are absolutely obscene alright, especially the stadium version really (even though its cheaper), which is always lacking in the quality fabric and finish of the player one. Stadium version should be 50 quid max imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

While at the same time having some of its fans bemoan its inability/lack of desire to spend hundreds of millions on more players. 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Reinvent? They just need to start fit. Naby anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Agreed on the price, then again corporation needs to profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Klopp put the journalist on the spot by asking what a replacement for Wijnaldum would do to improve the midfield. The answer was to score more goals.

The way Klopp sets up the team, scoring goals isn't a primary function of the midfielders and that's not going to change no matter who is signed. Goals from midfield are a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

So lads and lassies(and others 😊), just to be pc, am I the only person who thinks VVD will start v NCplay 65ish mins and subbed out regardless of the score

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Klopp has to say stuff like that. I wouldn’t read too much into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

I think he starts and doubt he'll be subbed. Jurgen said today he could have played the 90 last week but they didn't risk it. And said yesterday CB is not somewhere you want to be making subs. Unless we've a healthy lead in the last 10 or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

That's the journalists for you, they are absolutely rubbish at asking interesting questions to get managers to give more than soundbites or have information on hand to hold them to the fire when they give a response. The obvious response is to state the injury record of all of the other midfielders throughout their career and the fact Gini played 40+ games every season he was here.

Just me or was our biggest problem on that horrific run that we couldn't score a goal and that issues hasn't been addressed at all,

Klopp has still not brought in a proper number 9 in all his time here its a bit odd,

• Advertisement

If we get off to a bad start how long before some fans start with the Klopp out and he lost the dressing room stuff again.

Kind of feel it's brewing already for some.

The way the team has been setup with van Dijk is the high line defenders. The midfielders harry the opposition, feed the forwards and cover the fullbacks. In principle we need two Energiser bunnies in midfield. The forwards conjure goals from trickery and quick movement.

That all went out the window when Henderson became a make shift central defender. The high line was gone and Henderson spent a lot of his time screaming at the midfielders to drop deeper which negated the pressing and the quality of the chances created for the forwards was less than perfect. I wouldn't consider any of our forwards to be natural goal scorers and the failure to compress the play in the opposition's half of the pitch added to the pressure for the front line. When the midfield was restored, normal service resumed although the players did lack confidence at that stage.

Now the manager and players look refreshed and envigorated for the new season which was missing last year. Having van Dijk ready for the start of the season will also make a massive difference to the team, players don't have to be so mindful of losing possession and can focus of going forward.

It's been run through a fair few times how all the problems at centreback and midfield affected the how frontline operated, so it's reasonable enough to suggest that fixing those issues also fixes the fundamental problem up front. If the centrebacks start further forward, so too do the midfielders and fullbacks, and subsequently the forwards. So they're all closer to dangerous areas on the ball, and are getting better service from support players (like thiago, robbo and trent) from much more dangerous positions, while themselves being in much more dangerous positions. Mane was also just in really bad form on top of all that. Maybe he comes good again, maybe he doesn't, but it seems like he has Klopp's confidence, and that's kinda good enough for me at this stage.

As for the 'proper number 9' thing, for better or worse Klopp clearly sees the two wide positions as being where the goals come from, with the 9 being a facilitator. I presume he thinks that if you go for a 9 that sits in there to score goals, that you are then blocking two very effective wider forwards from moving into the spaces where they can be their most effective, giving you a net loss in production. Seems like Taki was brought in to do the same role as Bobby, but it hasn't worked out yet. I think we need someone young there sooner or later, but I wouldn't expect that new person to be an out and out 'proper number 9' either.

Could totally see it going either way. All depend son how VVD has been reacting physically to the increasing preseason minutes really. If he's been feeling tip-top, I could totally see him starting, while if there's been any reaction/inflamation at all I'd expect it to be Matip and Konate for the first week. We're in a good position either way at least.

I understand what your saying but even as a plan B its strange no number "9|" has ever been bought,

Lets be fair Firmino has struggled for 2 season's now ,

It was a dumb question to ask undoubtedly, as if Klopp would give an honest answer to it.

But if Klopp believes what he said about the midfielders he has currently then I'd be concerned. A simple "we'll buy if necessary" would have sufficed.

• Advertisement

Plan B has been Origi, who is a proper out and out number 9 centre forward. But even at his best and sharpest, he's never gotten many minutes since Klopp changed to the current system because how he (and any out and out number 9) plays is totally at odds with everything else everyone else in the team is trying to do. So in theory it's nice to have, but in practice they're just gonna be sitting there 95% of the time, and then they're cold and rusty whenever they come on for 6 minutes at the end of a match.

So in reality I don't really think Plan B is as great an idea as it intuitively feels - ideally what you want is other options to tweak Plan A and make it work better when the starting lineup isn't breaking through. Jota's ideal for instance, as the team can play the same way, but he brings something a little different. That's not to say we couldn't ever get a player who can do more of the traditional no 9 things, but they HAVE to be able to play Plan A perfectly well as well, otherwise it's just a waste.

I don't disagree on Firmino though, and I'd like a young option there as an alternative - I just wouldn't expect that option to be a different type of player to Firmino.

Gameweek 5 - VVD goes down, Liverpool are third, averaging 2.6 goals scored and conceded the same a game (Villa)

Gameweek 9/10 - Gomez goes down for the season on international duty, Liverpool are second, level with Spurs, averaging 2.44 goals scored and 1.78 against

Gameweek 15 - Matip misses three games (D,L,D), comes back for 1.5 games (L,W) and then is done for the season , Liverpool are top, averaging 2.46 goals a game and 1.33 against

Gameweek 38 - Liverpool finish third, averaging 1.78 goals a game, averaging 1.1 against

The season only fell apart when we had no first team CB's. Losing the CB's murdered us, we stopped scoring at the rate we where and dropped further into our shell, moved CM's to CB to protect the back line. No CB's affected the midfield, lesser midfielders affects the front line. The narrative of nothing without VVD is nonsense, we're nothing without first team CB's.

I'm confident this team are going to give City and Chelsea a hell of a run.

I will still say Klopp losing his mother and Ali losing his father in the New Year also played it's part in that run of bad form, This group of players are so close there is no doubt in my mind that it had an effect on the entire squad especially with the stress everyone was under during the lockdown and neither Klopp or Ali could return home to bury their parent.

What's the story with this young lad Ethan Ennis who went from us to United? Seems a strange move at that age, as I'm sure both club's development facilities are of equal measure.

All of it combined, along with the pandemic and major injuries in the squad probably had a negative affect around the place but they stilled pulled themselves together and put in a 10 games unbeaten run to make sure last season didn't drag into this season. That along with other factors gives me confidence.

I just hate the no VVD = Liverpool are not good enough, we where still top and scoring and defending at our regular rate with one first team CB playing. We've had the best prepared pre-season by the looks of, a lot of the major players in from the start of it. TAA, Mane and Salah all having extended breaks and our opening run of fixtures is pretty good. I'm pumped for the season to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

On new boards one can never delete posts, another one of the many many many many many many many flaws.

Might just be a case of him looking at the other players in his age group and position at Liverpool, and not seeing much of an opportunity to break in ahead of them - he's got Musialowski (17), Balagizi (17), and Kaide Gordon (16) to compete with. I'd imagine Utd gave him some assurances of his place over there.

My post wasn't suggesting that without van Dijk Liverpool fall apart. Klopp's system works even without van Dijk present - Phillips/Williams/Kabak combination proved that for the final third of last season. But having him in the lineup breathes a higher level of confidence into the players in front of him. He's also an intimidating prospect for opponents to face. Without him in the team, Liverpool are perceived to be a weaker opponent.

As it stands we appear to have adequate cover for the central defensive positions now. What remains to be seen is whether Klopp's belief in giving young players the opportunity to prove themselves in the midfield will pay off this season. He has always prided himself on working with a core group of senior players and supplementing them with youth. By the looks of things Jones and Elliott are going to get opportunities this season and that's a good thing for the future of the team.

Next summer we will need to replace Milner in midfield and possibly Keita and Oxlade-Chamberlain if they don't get new contracts. Klopp spoke today about there being a plan in place for the development of the squad. Knowing that Jones and Elliott can be relied upon will reduce the pressure to bring in two midfielders as well as a forward in 2022.

Oh yeah I was just ranting to myself and typing away, I just meander a long and forget what I was even trying to write up. Was just having that discussion of no VVD Liverpool fall apart with a friend and was listening to some PL preseason podcasts and everything Liverpool based seems to be VVD is only just fit and is he enough to right Liverpool and nothing else is taken in account. Thiago (21 games), Henderson (17 games), Jota (21 games), Fabinho (10 games) all missed large chunks of the season to go along with our CB's but it's just not even mentioned.

Ali, Fab & Bobby called up to the Brazil squad for the international break, The first game after the break is Leeds.

They may have to quarantine on return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Klopp is persistent to say the least , I wouldn't go as far to call him a one trick pony, but he does persist with the same style and personnel. It's a given that he'll have Firmino playing the same role this season, but that ship sailed last season, teams were playing the ball anywhere Firmino was not, and he was then ineffective . It's now a thing when playing Liverpool, for the opposition to avoid playing the ball anywhere near Firmino, so the things Firmino is there to do,winning the ball back, and hustling people into mistakes, he can't do.

Bobby has his problems no doubt - particularly when we’re in possession - but I don’t get the logic of your criticism here at all.

Bobby hangs around and pressures areas that are good to build from - so if he’s got the opposition so scared of his pressing that they don’t even try to use those good areas, that’s a huge asset for us right from the off!

The new owners of Melwood God & Carra have a new podcast

Journo's James Pearce and Dom King join them this week from what was the managers office discussing the last week with Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

That was a cheery start to the season. It's good to set out that Arsenal will be the meme side.

We're heading to Brentford on the 25th of September. 17.30 kickoff. Should be a good game. Breaks all over the shop. 4-10 it'll finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,110 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Sounds like Hendo's contract will get sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

He's got his own Godcast already. The lad he does it with is a twat but some episodes are decent enough. It's very repetitive tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just read about the 'All new and Improved' international break in South America, holy fcuking Jesus. It has gone from the normal 2 games in 5 days up to 3 games in 7 days 🤬

Brazil play Chile away then Argentina and Peru at home, the games are on September 3rd, 5th and 10th. Leeds v Liverpool is on Sept 12th 4.30pm. With quarantine rules coming from Brazil to the UK theres no hope that Allison, Fabinho or Firmno make that Leeds game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

zea60h

Dont know if its that one you want but i set up a league for this thread years ago and thats the regenerated code i did just now. Theres over 100 who hover around still 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭ratracer

It’s Game Day!!

Lets just get it on Reds!!! 💪💪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

Games against Norwich really make me realise how much I miss Suarez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Get 3pts on the board and hopefully a few goals! That’s not too much to ask for is it! The place will be bouncing with fans being back so hopefully we can silence them early on and do what we do best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

You're right, but I don't see that as a positive to be honest.

There were times last season when he persisted with his standard 4-3-3 formation, when it wasn't working, and he hadn't the personnel available to operate it properly, eg no proper centre backs, Fab and Henderson not available as a DM pivot.

Sometimes you need horses for courses, and there were times last year when we needed to match up with the opposition, eg put an extra man in midfield or go to a diamond, or a simple 2 up top, and it wasn't done.

You gotta be flexible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

i have to laugh at post like this,fans knowing more than jurgen klopp about tactics...literally no idea how to run a team but speak like they are qualified coaches. not having a dig even though it reads that way, how anyone can question klopp these days i dont know,we would be nowhere without him these days,we would be arsenal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Not having a dig, but having a dig!

Look, I believe in Jürgen, of course I do, but he's not infallible, he's not perfect, and everything that was done last season wasn't perfect - and to suggest we shouldn't question any aspects of team management on a discussion forum.... Well I dunno, why log on if you don't want to read differing opinions.

Of course I'll praise Jürgen and more to the point FSG. As you say, just look at the mess Arsenal have become with a parasitic owner more interested in using the club as an ATM than helping them compete. As with Klopp, FSG haven't been 100% correct in every decision they've made in recent years, buy like him they have gotten the big decisions right, and both the team and the club continue to improve and compete with the other clubs that don't have to worry about where the money comes from.

Advertisement