Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭OldRio

Indeed. I find it odd that any individual should tell me or anyone else how they should feel. We are all different.

I think it says a lot about the individual in all honesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

To avoid confusion, I clearly state whether the temperature is actually cold, cool, mild, warm, very warm, hot, etc; in the meteorological sense rather than my own personal feeling of the temperature.

For example, it's currently about 14° outside at my location. It's August. Therefore, from a meteorological point of view, it's cool. There's no argument there. It's also drizzling, it's calm and relative humidity is at over 90% so if I go out for a walk in the current weather, it will probably feel cool for me. If I go for a run it will feel very clammy and I'll get very sweaty very quickly.

If the weather now was as exactly as it was yesterday but it had the strong winds like yesterday instead of the calmness at present, it would feel cold (for me) outside. I'd need a heavy hoodie in order to feel comfortably warm. However, at 14°, it would still be cool. Just because I could be feeling cold does not necessarily make it cold outside.

Another example would be a calm clear day with a temperature of 25°. That would be classed as warm, possibly very warm by Met Eireann.. Some would describe it as being hot but 25° is not warm enough to be described as being hot. The issue here is that a lot of people will be sitting out in direct sunshine where it will be very hot during the summer time; but air temperatures are measured in the shade, mainly because they will be more consistent throughout the day as differing levels of solar radiation in different places won't skew the readings.

So whilst some people will say that it's scorching hot at 25°, they've likely spent time in direct sunshine and are in fact describing the feeling of direct radiation from the sun on their skin as being scorching hot, which may well be the case. Then there are others who have a very low heat tolerance and will find 25° in the shade in calm conditions to feel very hot to them even if they are being inactive.

Then there are others (me being one of them) who would wish the temperature would be at least 5° warmer!

So the moral of this long ramble is that 14° is cool in August and 25° is warm, arguably very warm in August. That would be the meteorological take on it. Any other descriptions should be avoided unless you clearly state that it is your body's personal reaction to the weather conditions. So you could say the following on a wet and windy August day with a temperature of 14°: "It's a cool day but it's feeling very cold due to rain and wind chill factor". In just a few words, you've given an accurate description of the actual temperature but have also informed everyone how the culmination of the different aspects of the current weather have made you, as an individual, FEEL very cold.

Right, I need a coffee after that epic waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Are you trying to make a liar out of me 'OldRio'?

"Nah. I don't recognise this phenomenon at all. In fact the utter opposite is my experience in this local area. The seasons all mingle. Last week the relentless rain had no warmth to it. Cold in every aspect". - OldRio.

That was the post I quoted. And whatever gripe you have about my posts on 'another thread', then bring it over there, not that your gripes mean anything to me, because what I post I stand by. If you have a problem with them, then tough.

New Moon

You are the one telling me how I should feel. Last week wasn't cold (and we had loads of rain too) nor is this week. Very muggy out there again today.

New Moon

With all due respect, the quoted text by OldRio clearly stated that he was referring to the previous week as being cold. As I mentioned in a recent post, I had temperatures down to single digits during some torrential daytime showers last week so to have description of cold for last week, even it was meant subjectively but not clearly stated, was not inaccurate.

Your comment yesterday was " it isn't cold". That is clearly referring to the temperature at the time of posting yesterday and is completely unrelated to OldRios mention of the weather conditions in the previous week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Yeah can't see any deluges or big total amounts coming from this band of rain,spitting away rain for the last half an hour now

You must be having a laugh here or trolling..... Or in a warm country. Current temperatures around the country, according to Met Eireann, are generally14° to 16° with two others at 13° and one at 17°. How on earth can you describe any of those temperatures as being uncomfortably warm, ie muggy?

If you read the exchange right, and the post that OldRio quoted, I also said Summer wasn't cold, which was his original contention. Yes, it was warm yesterday, just like it has been all summer. The 'last week' argument is pointless given what I actually said.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A cloudy wet day here in Castlebar. little or no wind. 15 degrees. Miserable.

I recorded a monsoonal rain rate of 168mm/h there during one of those downpours last week. The temperature did not fall below 10c during it at all, in fact it stayed pretty constant. (15c before and during)

New Moon

• Advertisement

From OldRio:

'Like any summer month'???

Nah. I don't recognise this phenomenon at all. In fact the utter opposite is my experience in this local area. The seasons all mingle. Last week the relentless rain had no warmth to it. Cold in every aspect.

Your reply:

It's overcast here, spitting rain with a stiff 13 knot breeze and temp is 17c, and it isn't in the least bit cold or even cool out. It feels warm out to the point of being uncomfortable. If you feel cold in this sort of weather, than I don't know how you cope when it actually does get cold in winter.

What you quoted is very confusing. OldRio is talking about it being cold the previous week, you are responding about it not being currently cold (the following week).

Indeed.

I only looked at the ECM this morning, and it had me down for over 10mm today, I think we'll be lucky to see even 1mm from this spitty front here locally at least.

New Moon

I too got showers of similar intensity but don't have a rain gauge to tell me the rainfall intensity but from pure observation I recall describing it as being torrential, a term I very rarely use.

However the temperature did drop to 9.8° towards the end of the heaviest shower, photo above taken during it, looking out the front door.

More pointlessness.

This was my post that has caused all this contention.

I can't understand how anyone can be cold at this time of year. Today was breezy, the odd shower and some broken nice sunshine, but at no stage did it ever feel remotely cool even. Like any August, or any summer month, there is that constant dull warmth in the air that rain or shine, polar or tropical, wind or calm just cannot shake off.

My posts are only 'confusing' to those who can't read them right.

You called me a troll earlier there Highdef, but I'm wondering who the real trolls are here...

New Moon

Was calm earlier in North Kildare, very slight breeze now, probably only F1. Several hours of light rain and drizzle have ceased. Humid and a touch on the cool side, the light wind saving it from feeling like yuck.

The neighbours have the heating on today obviously they find it cold.

Called out for lying and this is his response.. 'deary me'.

Don't respond to my posts again OldRio. You are an obvious troll.

New Moon

• Advertisement

I can only assume that you live on high ground if you got those sort of temperatures during a typical summer daytime shower.

New Moon

Maybe a better choice of quote when quoting a previous reply will not lead to ambiguity.

However, despite being personally favoured towards (actual) warm temperatures, I feel that there aren't too many posters feeling much in the way of a "dull warmth" today. I don't think warm could be used to describe the temperatures today. A damp coolness or for the coldies out there, a humid and mild day...... Very much a push!

There is only one liar on this thread and that is you. You were found out and obviously don't like it. Typical bully.

'that's tough' sums you up.

You are right, tis' perishing out there Highdef:

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^

out of interest, what movie is that?

I said 'then tough'...

'That's tough' actually sums you up. You can't even read what I say right and then after calling me a liar claims I am the bully? As I said, keep your trolldom away from my posts and stop wasting my time with your nonsense.

New Moon

No, In below 90m ASL. The showers in question last week were not typical summer daytime showers though. They were quite exceptional and have only seen rain so heavy a few times in my life. Cloud tops were very high too so the potential to encounter a cold downdraft was quite high of you got one of the heaviest showers.

It seems deflection is your go to when you're caught out. Classic form of manipulation.

He's a thought. If you don't want me to respond to your posts stop replying to mine.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Rain of that intensity is guaranteed pretty much ever summer on occasion.

New Moon

Advertisement