Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

While I do agree with you to an extent here no one is infallible and it was obvious to alot of people last season that we needed at least one of Fab or Hendo in midfield even if it mean playing unknowns in defence like Nat Phillips or Williams and when it finally happened we went on a 10 game unbeaten streak and basically had championship winning form for those last ten games. Obviously we don't know tactics etc better than Jurgen but everyone makes mistakes and Klopp is no different and sacrificing our midfield to bolster the defence last season was a mistake, I'm sure even klopp would admit that now in private at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

but you can question ,of course you can.. thats not what you did,you stated he should have done something different, after the fact..thats easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Yes its old Trafford, and yes it was Brentfords stadium.

But chirst almighty its great to have fans back in the stadiums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

There were plenty who questioned what was happening at the time too. Last season the team were not as tactically flexible as previous seasons. Klopp made the decision to take the anchors out of midfield and it hurt the team, he persisted with the decision in the face of mounting evidence that it wasn't the solution. We can only hope that a lesson has been learned.

Seeing Oxlade-Chamberlain in the Firmino role during pre-season suggests that we will see some tactical variation this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Leon Goretzka would be a good signing, seems he wants a change of scenery . SHould be all over that in Jan or next summer.

• Advertisement

Can't wait to play Leeds, they are so open at the back, they seem happy to score 3, even if they let in 6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

It's more that they're over reliant on Kalvin Phillips. Utterly different team with him there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Looks like VAR got binned during the earlier game, there was an offside call and they didn't even draw the lines.

I hope it's the same for everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lines & decisions will not be shown to fans this season after the frustrations & controversies they caused in the past, however it will still be done in Stockley park and relayed to the ref.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That sounds even worse than the old system somehow. I wish they’d just use a margin of error and accept that not every decision will be correct but more will be than pre-VAR.

Oh right, I did hear them mention that the lines are going to be drawn thicker and if the thick lines were used last season it would've resulted in 19 goals not deemed offside.

Id still like to see the lines though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

One of the reasons i find it odd we haven't singed a "proper 9" as a plan B is because we such good crossers of the ball in Trent & Robbo

Last season in the run of losses at home teams scored forst and sat in deep & we just spammed croses to bo effect , Someone good with there head to bring on up front would have been a great option to have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Stick kelleher in goals and send Allison up for the last 10-15 mins, you mean?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Exactly.

I like many here questioned it at the time, and the reluctance to try something different.

Strange to be called out on a DISCUSSION forum for DISCUSSING something like team setup and tactics.... but I suppose these are the times we live in now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Its great to be back, getting goosebumps waiting for the start of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Pretty much as I expected bar VVD over Konate.

Fabhino and Bobby just not back long enough to start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

That midfield is scary. And not in a good way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tinpib

Keita on course to play every minute in the premiership this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Jasus the midfield!!! Milner could be busy.....

No Fabhino is massive

The midfeild isnt going to work

No Thiago or Hendo on the bench so no real plan B

Man I miss the ignore feature on this new Boards, everyone I had on it on the old Boards is now visible and it makes hard reading now for me at times.

Shocking lineup, and a even more shocking bench. Is this the Pepsi Cola cup, or are we playing a Premier Leauge game today.

At least Firmino is not playing, could be a hint of what's to come. Will Salah we playing through the middle today, hope so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Klopp wanted him in 2017/18, after what happened then I don't think the club would go back for him. Each of the German players that Klopp has tried to bring to the club hasn't made the commitment. The alternative options have worked out quite well.

2016 - Mario Gotze wouldn't join because Liverpool failed to qualify for the Champions League. Wijnaldum was signed from Newcastle.

2016 - Mattias Ginter said that he didn't want to leave Germany. He has since turned down the opportunity to sign for Chelsea.

2016/2017 - Julian Draxler agreed a contract and then tried to renegotiate after sounding out PSG.

2017 - Julian Brandt didn't think he'd get enough playing time to cement his place in the national squad for the World Cup. Edwards convinced Klopp that Salah was the better option.

2018 - Leon Goretzka used Liverpool's interest to get a better contract offer from Bayern, Edwards moved for Fabinho instead.

2020 - Timo Werner didn't want to wait for a proposed move in 2021.

2021 - Florian Neuhaus wanted to stay with his current club for at least one more season.

Not a single draw today, it's win and lose all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I’m grand with that team, and midfield - is pretty much exactly as expected. Keita and Ox both in good form so it doesn’t have the same uncertainty it would have had at other times when they were struggling - and Fabinho is on the bench to come on for Milner with 30 minutes left to cement control.

• Advertisement

Haha the place is dead at the moment, if you had a couple on ignore there be nothing to read:)

Keita and Ox need to step up in this match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Anything happening in the match at all?

Have my Mayo hat on this evening so slightly distracted to say the least :-(

Actually think we are missing Firmino nothings linking our play at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Not much so far, a few shots at goal, a bit wobbly looking but hopefully we will get there...

No Firmino and no Fabhino leaves little in the way of link up play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Ox just takes so much out of the ball every time he gets it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Lucky there...Good run by Pukki??

We look a bit rusty and I'm no fan of ox starting..

More to come though they will grow into this

But rusty but we'll shake it off

Very little, but imo that's grand - against a promoted side away from home first game of the season, a boring enough first 30 or 40 minutes is ideal, before starting to exert some pressure as the 'pashun' starts to drop off a bit.

Naby's doing well, but Ox needs to get himself into better positions to receive the ball. Always seems to be only a few feet from a yellow shirt when we're in possession. Few nice half chances for Mo, and nice to see him linking up with Mane a bit. Trent looking decent too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,203 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Jota 1-0

• Advertisement

Bang, there we go - great work from Trent, good finish from Jota.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭robwen

Diogoooooaaaalll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Goallll

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,276 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Get in Jota !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Such a poor yellow for Milner. The ball was there to be won he went past it for the leg of Pukki instead.

I just dont get it Ox spends pre-season as false 9 then starts first game in midfield

Jota

Beauty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Jota...Good lad

Lovely assist from Salah lol!

He didn't really though - he only played there for the very first few small games, but for all the more recent ones as preseason kicked up a notch he played in centre midfield. Against Osasuna for instance most recently, he was in a midfield with Jones and Fabinho - the front 3 was Gordon, Taki, and Bobby.

And when talking about it himself, he said he was still primarily a midfielder in the squad, but could fill in if needed in Bobby's position.

• Advertisement
Advertisement