Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mart Price Tracker

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Looking at them they are good tight young cows. They are probably U grade. In the FI they indicated that R cows were making 3.8/ kg. I expect those cows to kill probably above 53% so they should 380-400 kgs. Even assuming a cow price drop to 3.7/kg they should make 1400 minimum in the factory and it could hit 1500. Was not watching cows at the mart so I do not know what way the mart price is V bullocks. There is different dynamics in play such as more Northern buyers interested in cows.

Best of luck with them

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 8,949 ✭✭✭893bet

i have heard there at least one buyer from the north taking a load out of SMB mart every week. Hope he shows up this week (and someone else to push him on a bit).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I think there is a fairly big entry of bullocks for the bridge to day. That could attract buyers to log on or attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭DBK1

Super stock 893. They’re the type of animal that should make their value no matter where you go with them. If the northern buyers are there they’ll make above their factory value as there seems to be a lot better money for cows in the northern factories than down here.

When they stand up on the scales have the calculator out on the phone and work out what you think their factory value is and go from there then. If you’re €20 or €30 away from factory value let them off, if you’re €100+ away don’t be afraid to bring them home.

You will still have the option to get the mart to haggle with the highest bidder for a better price too when they ring you to confirm if you’re happy to sell or not.

Got on well I think.

Cow below (on right in two cow image) weighted 725 and made 1540. Thought she was the better of the two.

Cow below (and on left in two cow image) weighted 750 and made 1640.

Anyone able to guess what they would have made in Factory?

• Advertisement

First one made factory price if not 50 more second one made 100 more than factory price IMO but I never do cows

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Have a buyer coming to see Saler Weanling Bulls this evening. Winter calves off sucklers... approx 330-350... good stock and red colour... any suggestions what I should ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭minerleague

See if buyer offers a price first and feign outrage immediately! dunno 900 ??

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

yeah, see how it goes. You don’t see too many for sale around here so was wondering what people think.

I was thinking that myself they made more than they should have but not plugged into factory prices.

I was expecting the worst to be honest based on this forum over the last week with all the talk of marts being 100-150 behind the factory on finished animal prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭minerleague

dont want to be overly negative but sometimes in mart salers dont make their value imo

There’s a big difference in mart prices on traditional breeds at 650 kgs and good quality animals like yours. U grades like that will always make a good price.

I’ve no experience of fattening cows but I’d expect U grades like yours would kill out about 55% of their mart weight. If they did you made the factory price with the first one and about €50 above it with the second one. If they only kill 53% you’re definitely on to a winner with your mart price.

I’d imagine they’re gone North where there is a bit more demand and a slightly better price for cows from factories.

Cows are a different trade in the marts compare to prime cattle. There is a traditional of substantial numbers of cows selling through marts for last few years. Factories have to buy at marts or they will not get the numbers. After that it's a matter of having a general idea of the value usually a factory buyer will at least match factory price if it is not achieved at the ring

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

what value would you put on 400kg friesian bulls 18 mths old, out of the field

• Registered Users Posts: 5,192 ✭✭✭Grueller

Unfortunately the sales aren't that good a seller for bulls. The heifers are where you make your money. I would say €800ish. That's about €2.25 a kilo. Don't know how much more they will make

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

It depends on the cattle but I'd expect somewhere around €800-850. Weanlings are a good enough trade atm but Saler's aren't great seller's in my experience. I'd ask €900 if they were mine at those weights and good quality and see what happens after that.

I bought 275kg of a good type R grade CHx bull weanling last night at €750. I reckon he'd have cost that any year and I'd be quite happy buying a bundle of them at that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I don’t think store bullocks are much dearer than this time last year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I'd imagine forward stores were €100-150 dearer but I'd agree that lighter store's aren't much dearer than other year's. Any cattle capable of being finished this side of Xmas are a flying trade but once you go into longer keep types the same appetite isn't there for them.

It would be easy to fall into the trap of paying big money for weanlings/stores especially if you had done well selling factory or forward store cattle recently. I'm wary of paying out an extra €100 a head for replacement stock and perhaps taking another €100 less for them as forward stores next autumn. Even with above average performance I find that if cattle are too dear the first day then you're backing a loosing horse in 99% of cases.

If they were a 50+kgs heavier I say 2.8-1.9/ kg At that weight they are a bit light for finishing 1-4-1.7/ kg.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Problem with Salers is that if you put them into the ring on their own and not in a mixed lot, they're very giddy. I'll have the problem myself later in the year. Have two lovely, lively boys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

• Registered Users Posts: 5,192 ✭✭✭Grueller

Look above. They were already sold at 725 and 750kgs

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

With the flesh on them , as Limousins , I would have expected them to weigh a good bit more . They were seriously good animals .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Sting gone from the trade down here. Couple of cracking lots of blacks making only 1.80 and 1.90 per kg today in bandon.

Supposed to be problems getting cattle killed at present in places.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Everything reflects back down along the trade. If lads are struggling to get cattle killed they will be reluctant to buy forward stores which reflects back along the market.

Another factor is the number of 2020 cattle coming into the market will increase from now on, there is about 150k+ of them compared to 2019 cattle

Slava Ukrainii

Same around here (midlands). Any whiteheads or angus are only making €1.80 - €1.90. Continentals still a good trade but the plain cattle are definitely falling back.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Had some hex out last week. 575-620kg

bullocks sold easily, heifers we’re a bit harder sell. €1.90-€2.05, continentals selling stronger. The online bidding bought nearly them all, ringside dealers frustrated they couldn’t keep the prices pushed down, constantly trying to open them €6-700 lower than their value but online bidders jumping in. The hybrid online/ringside bidding works great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

The hybrid is a great method, long May it continue

It’s very frustrating for Auctioneer and seller seeing cattle open soo far off final price

Were you allowed in the sellers box?

Advertisement