Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice given from landlord,do I have to give notice as well?

Options
  • 14-08-2021 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Im renting house since 3years today.Ive been given notice to leave until 30/03/2022.Landlord could give us less notice but gave much more.Notice was served with solicitior letter with intention to sell property so notice is valid.

I might get another house for rent in October as friend will be leaving so my question is do I have to give him notice as well or 2-3 weeks should be fine since he gave me notice already?

Im register tenant if that make any difference.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

no, there is no requirement for you to give any special notice - there were RTB decisions on this before (even if his notice itself was invalid)

his notice will say "on or before", so that is enough

although of course it would be a nice thing to do if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭carveone

I found any reference to that hard to find but I did find was an Irish Times article stating that: a valid notice, addressed to the tenant, reads that they “vacate on or before” the relevant date.... The tenant can literally move out the day after the notice is served.

Usually it's good to agree with the Landlord on a date, if only to get any deposit returned in a timely manner!

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭bigboss1986

Thanks for that.I read it 20times and missed that part.I will give him as much as I can once I secure new house.Thanks for help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭airy fairy

I think the landlord was good enough to give you ample notice to vacate the premises, the least you can do, while not legally obliged to, is to give good notice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Just read that IT article linked above. It says that a family member acting on behalf of an owner of a property needs to have a PSRA licence. Never heard that before and I know several people who look after lettings for other family who are away working or temporarily living abroad. Does anyone know if that's right or is it a new rule?

• Advertisement
Advertisement