Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right Wing Grifters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Making right wingers think Donald Trump and stock broker Farage cared about the working class must be one of the top grifts of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭Cordell

Right up there with calling highly skilled highly paid people wealthy and families of 10 without a single day worked between them working class.

The line you can't cheat an honest man springs to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭conorhal

Do people think they care? No, I doubt it.

What they do think is that they are at least willing to listen to their concerns, or at the very least pander to them for their vote, just like most other politicians.

The lefty elites however are just dismissive and contemptuous of the working class at best and at worst treat them with active hostility, so what else are people to do, just sit and listen to the likes of you tell them to 'eat cake'?

Disenfranchise people and treat them like $h1t and they'll make a deal with the devil if they have to.

Also, LOL 'right wing grifters thread' indeed, how much have BLM collected as they burned cities business centres to the ground? Theirs and the lefts institutional grifting is a multi-billion dollar industry that makes the odd right wing grifter with their Patreon account look like nickel and dime amateurs at the grifting game in comparison.

Post edited by conorhal on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭circadian

I love how lefties are the elites when most left wing policitians are elected in areas with higher social depravation.

Obviously UK and USA are a bit of an outlier in that respect.

• Advertisement

Tax cuts for billionaire buddies is all Trump did then left the population to fend for themselves during the pandemic.

The media is liberal and left is a total fake trope.

We can all agree on right-wing grifters: Hopkins, Yiannopoulos, Rubin, Peterson, Crowder, Owens etc.

But it's quite amazing how many who describe themselves as Left can quite easily see the grift of the right, but can't see left-wing grifters under their nose.

To give an example: Owen Jones.

Owen Jones talks up the left-wing tradition etc., but he couldn't be more of a greedy capitalist if he tried. Multiple best-selling books. Guardian columnist. YouTube Channel to rake in the cash. Patreon account. The list goes on. The same tactics you find with Candace Owens and others, Owen Jones deploys himself. Rather than have a link to his website in his Twitter profile to 1 million people, he has his Patreon account - begging for even more cash.

He currently has 1,700+ patrons (with his subscriptions up to 12 euros per month). His memberships are politically left, too: Grassroots - Comrade - Solidarity; it's all pure marketing for more cash. (edit: small mistake, he has 6 subscriptions; the highest is worth 118 euros a month).

Owens is raking in 20,400 euros a month from Patreon alone at the 12 euros a month rate.

What happens is consistent between grifters of the Left and the Right. They start out probably genuinely believing what they say. Then they realize how much money can be made and turn it into a permanent business. They'll only vocalize ideas that the target population want to hear. Candace Owens does it, and Owen Jones does it too.

I'd make the same case against George Galloway.

Noam Chomsky describes himself as an anarchist, he's that far-left. Yet, he cannot stop raking in the cash. His estimated wealth stands at $5 million.

Bernie Sanders is also worth millions of dollars. What happened to him despising the 1% again?

So whilst this thread is absolutely right to condemn right-wing grifters, let's at least acknowledge that this problem exists on the Left, too.

It's a social problem of the time. The cries about the Left/Right seeks to divide people and distract them from the issues in society. That way the Left/Right are seen to be in competition with each other, gaining "points" here and there, but ultimately doing little to resolve the underlying factors that have caused most issues to arise from. It's a profitable industry.

Politics is inherently corrupt... and so too are the rise of social/media influencers that we've seen over the last few decades. They're a cancer in society, and most people are being fooled into thinking this clash between the left/right has any real importance. Which it doesn't, since it's a circle of behaviors, never to end, and accomplishing little of note, except to cause/react (set in motion by those before them) to problems, which generally increase costs for everyone, and lead to further regulations/laws to control the individual under the guise of the greater good.

Most significant social change with clear benefits and few negatives came from social pressure absent mainstream politics (at least until the momentum of the social movements couldn't be ignored any longer by the political groups).

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Plymouth shows the results of where this is heading unfortunately

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Further to this, if you watch the video pinned to his Twitter profile, the vast majority of his sales pitch is the same as Nigel Farage.

Owen Jones is a total fraud.

But for some reason, he doesn't get called out for this. It's only the right-wing grifters. I wish that those who subscribe to left-wing politics would similarly open their eyes to the same kind of grift that's wafting under their noses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Trans people and sports is definitely a tricky one on the whole, but Laurel Hubbard didn't exactly prove the definitive proof of unfairness that some were hoping - she couldn't even finish her lifts and finished dead last in the entire competition.

I suspect that Hubbard knew that, but wanted to make history by being the first trans- athlete.

To me, it's not even about athleticism. Biological men - whether they are athletic or not - should not compete with biological women, full stop.

The endless discussion of testosterone and bone mass etc. is a red herring distraction.

On first principles, men should not compete with women.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Wait, whats wrong now with mixed tennis doubles, and the 17 other mixed gender sports at the 2020 Olympics?

You can't support left wing views unless you are poor, that old trope. Owen Jones doesn't deliberately make things up or exaggerate things for money.

Patently obvious scammers find the right wing a much better audience than the left. Much more susceptible to believe whatever they are pushing.

It doesn't cost 20,000 - 50,000 euros a month to publish some videos with a pre-done template from your living room.

It's a scam.

Doesn't that prove the point?

If you're a right-wing grifter, you're just a grifter.

If you're a left-wing grifter, it's because you can't work for free.

As always, a glaring inconsistency. No wonder Jones is raking in the cash.

He's not publishing hate speech, isn't making up nonsense and isn't promising something that he can't deliver. Grifters on the right wing are invariably scamming people. So what exactly is he doing wrong?

"Owen Jones doesn't deliberately make things up or exaggerate things for money"

Haha, that's very funny

Does he sell vitamin pills or other junk?

Difference is the right wing grifter is getting people riled up with lies to sell them something. Jones is like a journalist selling opinions.

• Advertisement

Throw up a video or example of a blatent lie he made then.

There are different kinds of grifter; you can't lump their methods together and assume they all act in the same manner.

Jones is capitalizing on the "You can't trust the media / establishment"-line.

This is no different to right-wing grifters who play on precisely the same kind of emotional line.

Does Jones use his platform to sell a product other than his opinions? Don't follow him much at all.

The Patreon is the grift; begging for cash when he's clearly already doing quite well for himself with his book sales and media appearance fees.

He is allegedly paid 350 pounds for each appearance on the Jeremy Vine show where he speaks for perhaps 10-15 minutes at the most.

Begging is when one wants money for nothing, his patreon is to get access to additional content he makes. People deserve to be paid for what their work. Last time I checked the right thought the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,072 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Yeah its just substanceless whataboutery going on about Owen Jones really.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Not at all.

Those who support Candace speak in exactly the same way about her when she's accused of grifting.

The problem is that each side cannot see grifters within their own political orbit, but they can see it very clearly indeed from the other side.

False equivalence, looking at their Twitter feeds Candice Owens is anti vax and claiming Joe Biden is making the US a totalitarian country. Owens is concerned with climate change income inequality and human rights. Only one of those two is engaging with reality.

There are different shades of grifting.

It's wrong to compare Candace with Owens directly.

But they are both grifting in their own, different ways.

• Advertisement

One deals with reality and facts the other sells conspiracy theories. Big difference.

Advertisement